Is 1 hr connection cutting it too close

sbnuggie

Howdy,

Okay, Okay, so this is not exactly Carnival related, however it is related to wife and I's upcoming Carnival Cruise in January. We only travel one time a year and are fortunate we don't have to fly at all for our career's so we are not up to speed on airports and connection times etc... so I'm looking to Cruise Critic members for a little help.

We are going on the Valor in San Juan on Sunday 1/26/14, we are flying from SFO to San Jaun via Jet Blue and connecting in JFK on Friday 1/24. Figured this would give us Saturday and Sunday to see San Juan pre cruise and since this is such a long way for us give us a little buffer in case anything went wrong since we were flying in the middle of winter.

When I originally booked the flights we had 1hr 45 minutes between scheduled landing time in JFK until departure to San Juan. I figured that would provide plenty of time in case of weather delay and they usually pad the arrival times anyway.

We just got notified by Jet Blue that our flight times have changed:

SFO - JFK 808am - 430pm

JFK - SJU 530pm - 1021pm

So, that leaves 1 hour to connect. We are not experienced flyers by any stretch and fortunately it will be just me and the wife (leaving the 3 kids at home) so we should be able to move quickly (I upgraded seats on our flight before this time change to be comfortable, we are in seat 2). Having never flown into JFK didn't know how easy it would be to catch a connection with Jet Blue, I understand they are in a newer terminal etc.

You think we will make it?

JetBlue runs multiple daily flights between JFK and SJU. As the previous poster mentioned, if you misconnect, you'll be protected on the next available flight.

If you were attempting to fly on the day of departure, I would tell you to call and reschedule. But since you're flying 2 days prior, you have a good buffer in case there are delays.

I just looked at itineraries. If you miss your 5:30pm flight, there's an 8:49pm flight to SJU. Seems like worse case scenario, you'll have a 3 hour wait in JFK.

Edited by Tapi

Howdy,

Okay, Okay, so this is not exactly Carnival related, however it is related to wife and I's upcoming Carnival Cruise in January. We only travel one time a year and are fortunate we don't have to fly at all for our career's so we are not up to speed on airports and connection times etc... so I'm looking to Cruise Critic members for a little help.

We are going on the Valor in San Juan on Sunday 1/26/14, we are flying from SFO to San Jaun via Jet Blue and connecting in JFK on Friday 1/24. Figured this would give us Saturday and Sunday to see San Juan pre cruise and since this is such a long way for us give us a little buffer in case anything went wrong since we were flying in the middle of winter.

When I originally booked the flights we had 1hr 45 minutes between scheduled landing time in JFK until departure to San Juan. I figured that would provide plenty of time in case of weather delay and they usually pad the arrival times anyway.

We just got notified by Jet Blue that our flight times have changed:

SFO - JFK 808am - 430pm

JFK - SJU 530pm - 1021pm

So, that leaves 1 hour to connect. We are not experienced flyers by any stretch and fortunately it will be just me and the wife (leaving the 3 kids at home) so we should be able to move quickly (I upgraded seats on our flight before this time change to be comfortable, we are in seat 2). Having never flown into JFK didn't know how easy it would be to catch a connection with Jet Blue, I understand they are in a newer terminal etc.

As long as there is not a delay in SFO, you should be fine. With the jet stream flowing west to east, I'm willing to wager that you arrive at JFK even before scheduled time.

We've had Jet Blue connections of 35 minutes and haven't had a problem.

As some one who used to take 4 flights a week (2 going, 2 coming) I've found if I was on the same airline the plane was waiting when I got there -- and get this -- usually with an upgrade. So with being in the same terminal you should not have a problem. People are usually very understanding if they hold a flight for connections.... Unless of course they are flying in the same day to cruise, but with your flights that shouldn't be a problem.

I fly quite a bit and in the past year, there is always a delay. If you arrive at the airport and notice that your flight has been delayed, go to a jetblue desk (either at check in, or at the gate) and inform them you are concerned that the delay will result in missing your connection. They will check and if it appears that you will miss you connection, they will rearrange your flight for you, so no worries. You were very wise not flying the day of the cruise.

"Next available flight" is key. That means next flight with available seats, which could be the next day or even three days later. They will not bump someone off a flight for you. SFO is notorious for fog delays, I would try to reroute or start the trip on an earlier flight. My opinion.

• 1 year later...

We are flying from Buffalo (BUF) to JFK at 5:59 pm. on March 13/15 and are scheduled to arrive at 7:34 p.m. We depart JFK at 8:15 p.m. for Puerto Rico. All flights are on Delta so will be in same terminal which is good. We are to arrive shortly after midnight on the day of our cruise which I thought would work well, however, I am now concerned about the short layover window. It is mid March, so I am hoping the weather would be good. Anyone have any experience with flights out of JFK etc. Just feeling a little concerned. Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks

We are flying from Buffalo (BUF) to JFK at 5:59 pm. on March 13/15 and are scheduled to arrive at 7:34 p.m. We depart JFK at 8:15 p.m. for Puerto Rico. All flights are on Delta so will be in same terminal which is good.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but DL operates from both T2 and T4 at JFK. If you are on an RJ from BUF, you'll arrive at T2, which is where they have their RJ operations. Cannot say where flights to SJU depart from, but I'm not liking your chances.

Thanks for your reply. What is an RJ. We booked these flights through Choice Air Celebrity, so they linked these flight connections and from what I read work with you in the event of flight delays. As noted, our cruise departs out of SJU at 8:30 pm on March 14 so we do have some time. Never used them before, but had read good things on cruise critic about Choice Air What would you suggest doing.

Yes.

We often fly from BTV to San Juan and Florida with connections in JFK. Jet Blue has there own new terminal. Look at an on-line map of it before you fly so if you are running tight you will have an idea where you are going. Great choice to have seats in the second row.

We have found connections to be easy there and relatively close (compared to other airports, like DL in Atlanta).

Re-check your gate for departure as you navigate the airport (tv style boards), sometimes they change gate and I once saw someone who missed their flight because they were at the wrong gate.

I have seen them hold the flight a few minutes to accommodate passengers when they know the other flight is on the ground and the people are on their way. Of course this is more likely if there are a lot of people making the same connection. Safety in numbers.

Good luck!

Thank you for your positive response. Row 2 is a good suggestion and I note that the upgrade is just 15.00 per person, so that is an option we will take. Will check out the map as well. If you have any other suggestions, truly appreciatee same.

Thanks again

Thanks for your reply. What is an RJ.
Regional Jet, such as a CRJ100, CRJ700 or CRJ900.
We booked these flights through Choice Air Celebrity, so they linked these flight connections and from what I read work with you in the event of flight delays.
I suggest you actually read the terms and conditions of Choice Air, not marketing prose or cheerleader rah-rah. Just what kind of "work" are your expecting?
Never used them before, but had read good things on cruise critic about Choice Air What would you suggest doing.
Let me guess...you read the good things in the Celebrity forum?
Thank you for your positive response.
ALERT!!! Note that the response from monicajay was to the OP, NOT to your question. The OP is on a different carrier, in a different terminal, with a different operation. Project to your own circumstance at your own peril.
Row 2 is a good suggestion and I note that the upgrade is just 15.00 per person, so that is an option we will take.
Again, that only helps you save a few minutes in getting off the aircraft. If you have roller carryons and are flying an RJ, you will lose all of that while waiting for the carryons to be returned to the jetway after landing. So, any connect at JFK through DL has a much different set of conditions than a JetBlue connect at the same airport.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but DL operates from both T2 and T4 at JFK. If you are on an RJ from BUF, you'll arrive at T2, which is where they have their RJ operations. Cannot say where flights to SJU depart from, but I'm not liking your chances.

And T2 is used for overflow when all the gates are full at T4 delays. There is a bus connection within security they call JFK Jitney between T4 Gate B18 and T2 C60 or outside security AirTrain goes between the two terminals but you have to pass thru security again.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/airports-and-aircraft/airports/new-york-jfk.html

I've ended up at T2 more times then I wanted to and not on an Regional Jet. Now that Delta has taken over more of T4 and built (and building) more gates on the B concourse I hope it will be less often. T4 also has a lot of international flights from other carriers that can't fit into T1.

FWIW

Personally, I would try for an earlier flight from SFO to JFK. Sunday, late in the afternoon.............it could be a crap shoot time wise.

We fly JetBlue out of JFK a lot. Yes, the terminal is great, easy to get around and get a connecting flight. I would just be anxious the whole flight, that's no way to start a vacation. Weather could increase the delays.

Just my two cents! :)