Club 101, NYC, 10/10/2013

The A Train

LOL!!!

Good one!

I just got a private sale email for three upcoming cruises in Costa Rica/Panama. I must say, the prices are VERY tempting, but it would cost too much to get there on such short notice. It's a pity, too, because I really want to visit Costa Rica.

A Train,

When did they tell you you get a $500 SD certificate? I ask because we and two other SD/CC couples are having cocktails and canapes with Ms. Conover down south on 24 Oct. And our invitation didn't say anything about certificates! Sure would be nice to have on our PC/Costa Rica voyage!

Vandrefalk

All "kidding" aside, it would be helpful if those attending these SD CEO/management events raise the concern about families and children if they are so inclined. Their outreach is welcome but the extra marketing for PC/Costa Rica voyages so close to departure speaks volumes, sadly so, about problems filling them up. We regrettably were forced to cancel ours due to the on-going sharp difference of opinion over who and what is and is not appropriate on a luxury yachting vacation, at least for us and our time/money. Enjoy!

I think someone in our group of 6 will bring the kid issue up at some point during the evening on October 24 when it seems to be an appropriate time to do so. We will let you know what response we get. But hopefully The A Train will report about their experience on October 10. We look forward to hearing all about it The A Train so we will know what to expect!

Makes sense! Whatever folks think will be timely and effective. By the way, who are the CADs now on each ship? The SD blog used to have postings from Jeff and others as they went on shore walks and so on but that trailed off, least for awhile.

After 15+ voyages, would have to say that we are a bit miffed over the invitation snub. Added to recent discussions on this board, not sure what direction SeaDream is headed. :mad:

Wonder if they know? I've never figured out the marketing - I've gotten e-mails for discounted cruises that I've already made final payment on (after I got vocal about the $1,000 per person per week discount that allowed the hellions on our last voyage, I have only received a couple and none since this thread started).

FT

Wonder if they know? I've never figured out the marketing - I've gotten e-mails for discounted cruises that I've already made final payment on (after I got vocal about the $1,000 per person per week discount that allowed the hellions on our last voyage, I have only received a couple and none since this thread started).

FT

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger FT.:eek: We also have had none (0) and are booked in November. Very interesting.......:eek: Maybe it is because they know we know you???:D

I think someone in our group of 6 will bring the kid issue up at some point during the evening on October 24 when it seems to be an appropriate time to do so.

I will definitely mention it, whatnot, since I - for one (or my DH and I for two?:rolleyes:) will be interested in the response we get "firsthand" from Ms. Conover.

Also interested to know if Vandrefalk ever checked into that $500 gift certificate that was offered to A Train? :confused:

And.... Also wondering who the CADs are on both ships now? So many questions!

Please inquire about Jeff as CAD. His public Facebook page says formerly at SD implying no longer. When Jeff hasn't been our CAD we have had two subpar cruises in a row. One gets the sad but distinct impression that SD is on the rocks which is one reason, in addition to the kids issue, we cancelled two trips and got our money back before it is too late. Reports of heavy discounts for Costa Rica/Panama and Asia trips heighten our concern about keeping the remaining voyage deposit for next year. Sad times indeed. We welcome reports and advice from others.

Please inquire about Jeff as CAD. His public Facebook page says formerly at SD implying no longer. When Jeff hasn't been our CAD we have had two subpar cruises in a row.

Have not heard anything about Jeff leaving SD, but sometimes FB will post that someone has work'ed' for a company when I know in fact that person is still employed there. Most likely Jeff is just on vacation now since he is often on one of the crossings.

Would be interested to hear reports from any SD passengers who have taken recent SD cruises with some of the newer CADs. I think whatnot and Vandrefalk both had newcomer Nat (?) as their CAD on both of their cruises this summer. Not sure who the other SD CADs are now?

Yes we had Nat Green in late May and early June and he was VERY good. No one has posted from the yachts or after their trips for I would guess about 6 weeks or so. They start the crossing in just days and also the sail to Asia, so maybe someone will let us know what is happening. We have friends doing one of the Asia cruises in early December, but they are not CC people. Maybe I can find out news from them after they return. We should get good reports from Vandrefalk, Jim Avery, Zimmy and FPebbles and others on Costa Rica!

I'm pretty sure Jeff is just on vacation -- he's in CA right now but hasn't mentioned anything about leaving SD. Not sure where Nat Green is, but we had him in June and he was delightful. Only some of the CADs post on FB or SD blog, so not necessairily a big deal.

I've seen some GTY rates posted for some of the Costa Rica/Asia cruises, but nothing that would constitute "heavy discounts" to my mind. I do think they are not selling as much Asia as they would have liked, and oddly enough, they researched and instituted these cruises due to demand of past passengers! Go figure.

As far as whether or not you received an invitation to an evening with Ms. Conover -- my understanding is that they are doing a direct marketing effort (i.e., not through a travel agency) in some of their more lucrative markets and going through past passengers -- guess we have a lot in our area! The certificate is, I think, an incentive to book. We will likely do an open booking in November as the remainder of the 2015 schedule is not out -- and we are looking at a UK cruise, perhaps on Regent in 2015.

And we will report as we are able on our Costa Rica cruise!

Looking forward to A Team's report on tonight's get-together!

Vandrefalk

Not sure where Nat Green is, but we had him in June and he was delightful.

Nat is long gone from SeaDream. I don't believe that SD currently has a full complement of CAD's. James Cabello as been back and forth several times filling in and in fact is headed to ATH currently to join SD2 for the upcoming segment to Mumbai.

Would seem attracting and retaining top notch CADs would be a priority given how important the position is to a small yacht and projecting the SD brand. Both last year in summer and again this past August on the ill-fated kiddie cruise of the Black Sea we had two different new CADs who didn't know or appreciate SeaDream from sea salt. This past August her English was barely understandable, she was terribly disorganized, and she was constantly having to correct herself about information she had provided. She seemed nice and she was trying but she in way over her head. A Jeff she was not. This is why earlier I said this situation after years of good CADs is yet another warning sign to us that things aren't right. Perhaps they are trying to save money on who they hire but given the key role of the CAD and the high level we have come to expect it is false savings at best.

Nice party. We arrived a bit early due to our train schedule and had brief alone chats with Pamela Conover, Adrienne and Ana.

All invited guests were previous SD cruisers from the NYC metro area. There were about 100 attendees. SD plans on scheduling additional parties in other areas in the coming months.

At the half hour mark, Pamela Conover presented about 20-25 minutes on future cruise itineraries, concentrating on Asia and Costa Rica.

The $500 certificates, one to each guest, are for new bookings made this month, one per stateroom. So, for couples to use both, two cruises would need to be booked. We were informed that "open" bookings would be accepted.

I suggested that SD consider addressing some issues via CC, e.g. the "Kids" issue, as is done by some other cruise lines.

We did not stay until closing, again our train schedule.

Archived