Walking/running track on Independence

I currently have a thread on the gym on the Independence but was wondering about the track on the Independence and didn't want my questions to get lost in the other thread!

Does the Independence have an outdoor track? Which deck is it on? For those of you who have been there, how is it? Do you like it? Just looking at changing it up from the treadmill---especially if the weather is nice :)

I currently have a thread on the gym on the Independence but was wondering about the track on the Independence and didn't want my questions to get lost in the other thread!

Does the Independence have an outdoor track? Which deck is it on? For those of you who have been there, how is it? Do you like it? Just looking at changing it up from the treadmill---especially if the weather is nice :)

Outdoor running track is on deck 12.

As Clarea said, it's on deck 12 on the Freedom and Voyager class, one deck above the pool.

Go early as the track has deck chairs placed on both sides of the track in the pool area. On sea days the deck chairs tend to get moved slightly infringing on the track, not to mention the people traffic.

There is a walking and jogging lane.

Lou

If you want to really run you need to get up early before the deck chairs invade the space. I love it up there because the views of the ocean are awesome. However, I find it hard to get in as good a run as I do on land between the walkers and the frequent turns and bends in the track. I think I get a better work out on the treadmills down stairs in the gym.

If you want to really run you need to get up early before the deck chairs invade the space. I love it up there because the views of the ocean are awesome. However, I find it hard to get in as good a run as I do on land between the walkers and the frequent turns and bends in the track. I think I get a better work out on the treadmills down stairs in the gym.

Have to agree with you there! Can't believe how many were out in the early hours wandering all over the track with their coffee mugs!!!! And walking 3 abreast so you couldn't get around at all!!! And I wasn't about to do any hurdles over the loungers to get around them!

Edited by dobes3kh
Add-in

If you need to run a good distance, you will feel like you are literally running in circles. It is not a large track and the front end gets very windy (hold on to your hat/visor!). Although it is a place to run, in my opinion it is awful ~~ much prefer Deck 5 on Allure and Oasis. Good luck -- I did see a couple of rainbows early in the morning while running last summer on Freedom :-)

Just to answer the OP's question more generally, IIRC all RC ships have a track one deck above the pool deck.

It amazes me that passengers move their chairs onto the walking/running track.:mad:

I just thought they were human hurdles! They might get the hint if a few people used them as such.

Way back I posted about the walkway hogs somewhere. Not only do they block the track, but they block the spaces where people are supposed to get through in an emergency.

Just to answer the OP's question more generally, IIRC all RC ships have a track one deck above the pool deck.

I just thought they were human hurdles! They might get the hint if a few people used them as such.

Way back I posted about the walkway hogs somewhere. Not only do they block the track, but they block the spaces where people are supposed to get through in an emergency.

Oasis and Allure do not have a track above the pool deck. It is located down on deck 5.

I actually rather enjoy running on board the Freedom Class ship...the wind resistance can be a huge factor and is kinda fun, but the incredible tail wind can make you feel like you are Usain Bolt!

Just for fun I wear my Garmin 610 and get some really amazing pace times and neat to see the map graphic of a mid-ocean run...

David:D

When the pool area gets busy, there's no other place for the loungers! They are put sooooo close together, that you must move them in order to sit! On port days, the pool, and by default, the loungers won't be much of a problem. But, on sea day, do your running early!!!

• 1 month later...

I hate treadmills so I always put my time in on the shipboard tracks and have a couple of hundred miles logged running in circles in the middle of the ocean.

The key, as most have said, is getting up there (or down there on Oasis class) early. There are occasionally a few sets of 2 or 3 abreast walkers, but I've found that most people are very considerate. I try to be up on the track before 8am and have never had a bad experience. I'm usually done no later than 9am and find that it starts getting a little more crowded right around that time (more with coffee walkers than runners).

The one issue for me is all the left turns. I'm typically good for 20-25 miles during a 7 night cruise and I find that I usually start to have some ankle or leg discomfort towards the end of the week. 400 left hand turns will put a little wear and tear on muscles/ligs/tendons that aren't use to that motion.