Tipping

amberdawn85

I did a search and found a ton of threads on tipping but nothing that answered my questions.

I booked my cruise for December and there was no option to pre-pay my tips like Carnival does I try to budget everything so if there is a way to pay for tips ahead of I'd prefer that.

Also my cruise is only 3 nights, so do we pay tips for 4 days, 3 days or 2 days?

Thank you!

I did a search and found a ton of threads on tipping but nothing that answered my questions.

I booked my cruise for December and there was no option to pre-pay my tips like Carnival does I try to budget everything so if there is a way to pay for tips ahead of I'd prefer that.

Also my cruise is only 3 nights, so do we pay tips for 4 days, 3 days or 2 days?

Thank you!

There is an option on the Princess site to prepay your gratuities under the Onboard Gift Credit section. Essentially I think you pay in advance for OBC to be applied to your account in the amount of the gratuities.

As I recall the number of days of gratuities is the same as the number of days for your cruise - so a 3 day cruise would be 3 day gratuities.

Thank you!

Princess has an auto tip feature that automatically adds the tips to your on board account every day. Princess also counts cruises by days. Embarkation, day 1, day 2 etc. So a "3 night" cruise actually counts as embarkation, (one night), Day 1, (night 2), day 3 (night 3) and day 4.

As for prepaying the tips just call Princess (800-Princess) and tell them you want to pre-pay the gratuities for your cruise. Remember, tips are charged per person. They will charge your credit card for the amount and put it in as an on board credit that ail offset the tips.

As for prepaying the tips just call Princess (800-Princess) and tell them you want to pre-pay the gratuities for your cruise. Remember, tips are charged per person. They will charge your credit card for the amount and put it in as an on board credit that ail offset the tips.
If you "pre-pay" the tips, all you're doing is giving yourself credit for the amount due for tips on your cruise. It shows up as a credit when you board and every charge, whether it's a drink, t-shirt, or whatever, is deducted. You will still be charged nightly for the tips which are deducted from the credit along with everything else. Much easier and better to just send yourself OBC.

Unlike Carnival, Princess allows TA's to discount fares so you can save up to 10-20% on your cruise fare by booking with a TA that books a lot of Princess cruises. Also unlike Carnival, your cabin is ready as soon as you board... everyone can go directly to their cabin. No "faster to the fun" since everyone who boards can start their cruise immediately. Princess allows OBCs to be combined so if you send yourself OBC, your TA gives you OBC, you earn OBC as a CCL shareholder, are eligible for a military OBC, it's all combinable. I'm starting out my next cruise with about $550 in OBC, not counting OBC I've sent myself.

At the top of this page, you'll find the order form to fill out and fax in for OBC or pre-paid tips:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/index.jsp

Here's a link to the page with the OBC and pre-paid tips options: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/onboard_credit/Index.jsp

It's 3 nights X $11.50pp ($12 if you are in a mini or full suite). Since the amount is so small suggest that sometime after you board just deposit $34.50 cash with at the customer service desk, or $69.00 if you are paying for two. It's that simple.

You can call Princess and deposit the amount charged to your credit card before. It will be a credit to your folio account. Princess does not differentiate between different types of charges on board. They all are debits and credits to the folio, a simple plus and minus system. Each person in the cabin has their own folio account, but they can be tied together in the Cruise Personilizer.

We have a 5 day cruise in Jan and have already prepaid the tips and excursions. I will even put more on the account since I don't like to have bills at the end of the cruise.

Ron

We do the same thing:D. Figure out what our anticipated cost will be for tips/excursions and things we want and purchase an OBC to cover it.....put it on our Princess Visa and get double points;) Love getting off the ship knowing nothing is owed:).

Princess has an auto tip feature that automatically adds the tips to your on board account every day. Princess also counts cruises by days. Embarkation, day 1, day 2 etc. So a "3 night" cruise actually counts as embarkation, (one night), Day 1, (night 2), day 3 (night 3) and day 4.

This doesn't seem right to me. On our recent cruise 1 tip was added at midnight each night - so that would be 3 tips on a 3 night cruise... wouldn't it?

If you "pre-pay" the tips, all you're doing is giving yourself credit for the amount due for tips on your cruise. It shows up as a credit when you board and every charge, whether it's a drink, t-shirt, or whatever, is deducted. You will still be charged nightly for the tips which are deducted from the credit along with everything else. Much easier and better to just send yourself OBC.

Unlike Carnival, Princess allows TA's to discount fares so you can save up to 10-20% on your cruise fare by booking with a TA that books a lot of Princess cruises. Also unlike Carnival, your cabin is ready as soon as you board... everyone can go directly to their cabin. No "faster to the fun" since everyone who boards can start their cruise immediately. Princess allows OBCs to be combined so if you send yourself OBC, your TA gives you OBC, you earn OBC as a CCL shareholder, are eligible for a military OBC, it's all combinable. I'm starting out my next cruise with about $550 in OBC, not counting OBC I've sent myself.

At the top of this page, you'll find the order form to fill out and fax in for OBC or pre-paid tips:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/index.jsp

Here's a link to the page with the OBC and pre-paid tips options: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/onboard_credit/Index.jsp

And unlike Carnival your cabin is smaller.:p

Archived