RCCL Shareholder Benefit

I know that there are restrictions regarding combining the shareholder benefit with other discounts. For our upcoming cruise, we received a diamond balcony discount and used a Next Cruise certificate, can we also get the shareholder OBC? Thanks for your help

I know that there are restrictions regarding combining the shareholder benefit with other discounts. For our upcoming cruise, we received a diamond balcony discount and used a Next Cruise certificate, can we also get the shareholder OBC? Thanks for your help

No.

The real answer is whether you received and OBC when you booked. I am also a RCI Shareholder and we use to be able to book while we were on our previous cruise to get the Booking Discount and then we usually also go OBC with the booking. Then I would send in my app for OBC being a Shareholder and it would also add in. About 4 or 5 years ago they started restricting only being able to get one of the OBC amounts. If you didn't receive any OBC with your booking you may be able to still take advantage of the Shareholder benefit.

The real answer is whether you received and OBC when you booked. I am also a RCI Shareholder and we use to be able to book while we were on our previous cruise to get the Booking Discount and then we usually also go OBC with the booking. Then I would send in my app for OBC being a Shareholder and it would also add in. About 4 or 5 years ago they started restricting only being able to get one of the OBC amounts. If you didn't receive any OBC with your booking you may be able to still take advantage of the Shareholder benefit.

If you receive any C&A benefit (next cruise OBC, balcony discount, savings certificate), then you cannot also use the shareholder OBC.

The OP received a diamond balcony discount and used a Next Cruise certificate so the answer is NO.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you use the shareholder benefit if you are using a RCL Visa award for a free cruise ? I imagine the answer is NO:)

I did last March, but who knows now.:rolleyes:

What about if you received an OBC through a TA?

Yes, unless the OBC from the TA is from GAP points due to a group booking.

You have to talk to your TA to determine the source of the OBC. If the TA is giving you OBC from their commission, then you can use the Shareholder benefit. However, if the source of the OBC is a promotion from RCL, then you can't combine them.

My next cruise was booked through a large online TA and came with $50 in OBC. I had to call to get that OBC removed from my booking so that I could apply the $100 shareholder OBC. However, I have had cruises where the OBC came from the TA and I was able to get that OBC plus the shareholder benefit plus the Visa OBC.

The cruise that I used the points for already has OBC of $25 since I booked onboard. From what I read on one of the posts above you can have that removed and the shareholder credit put on?? $50 instead of $25?

Yes, I've done that before, but only when I don't have the balcony discount.

You have to talk to your TA to determine the source of the OBC. If the TA is giving you OBC from their commission, then you can use the Shareholder benefit. However, if the source of the OBC is a promotion from RCL, then you can't combine them.

My next cruise was booked through a large online TA and came with $50 in OBC. I had to call to get that OBC removed from my booking so that I could apply the $100 shareholder OBC. However, I have had cruises where the OBC came from the TA and I was able to get that OBC plus the shareholder benefit plus the Visa OBC.

Thank you for explaining that!

Also depends on when the next cruise booking was originally setup. For instance, I am using an old next cruise booking from 5 years ago for my cruise that leaves this Sunday. I was able to get the OBC from that as well as the stockholder credit because the policies at the time the next cruise certificate was issued allowed that. I also have a Crown and Anchor discount on the booking. Just email shareholder services, give them your booking number and explain what you think you should get. They will confirm it (or not).

Edited by lisastover4088

The reality is that if you are at least Platinum and are booking balconies, the balcony discount is almost always the same as or better than the shareholder benefit. The exceptions would be platinum or emerald bookings less than 6 months out or for 14 days or more - these have to be looked at more closely.

If you are booking insides or OV's the shareholder benefit is always available and is usually the equivalent of or better than any RCL offer that is out there for your cruise.

I bought stock when you could combine more benefits. At the time I was cruising in balconies with my mother and you could combine balcony and stockholder benefits. After my mom died I became a solo cruiser in an inside cabin and could use the stockholder benefit again. I just find it easier to know that the benefit is there. I don't have to buy next cruise certificates. I don't have to hope for savings certificates. I don't have to buy on sales that offer OBC.

I've done very well this year with the benefit. Two of my cruises have been 14 days or more - that's $250 OBC per cruise right there.

• 3 years later...

Unfortunately, the number of exclusions for this "benefit" are so numerous and broad as to make it of little added value. This is in considerable contrast to Carnival brands (HAL, Princess... ). In my experience, they grant the shareholder benefit in combination with most any other OBC or fare.

If you receive any C&A benefit (next cruise OBC, balcony discount, savings certificate), then you cannot also use the shareholder OBC.

Hmmmm. Just received a note from Shareholder's benefit saying that they will give us $25 since we already had a $75 discount. Before reading your response here, I sent a note stating that ours was not an OBC but a C&A benefit for a balcony booking.

Oh well, that's ok, at least I know now, what their response will be. We didn't realize that there were other restrictions besides OBC.

Thanks clarea.....