Tell me about the Century

Cruise Raider

For those of you who have frequently sailed Century & love her - is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? We are not fans of the buffets the first day on any ship, too many frantic passengers pushing as though they will not ever get another meal. We like the aspect of sitting & ordering meals, and having them brought to us while we have a quiet conversation while we relax after the embarkation rush.

This is our first Celebrity cruise, and sounds like the Century is really our cup of tea. We like the older, smaller ships that are more "classy" than the newer ones that look like Las Vegas on steroids. Call us old fashioned, but that's our preference. Good thing that there are choices for everyone!!

For those of you who have frequently sailed Century & love her - is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? We are not fans of the buffets the first day on any ship, too many frantic passengers pushing as though they will not ever get another meal. We like the aspect of sitting & ordering meals, and having them brought to us while we have a quiet conversation while we relax after the embarkation rush.

This is our first Celebrity cruise, and sounds like the Century is really our cup of tea. We like the older, smaller ships that are more "classy" than the newer ones that look like Las Vegas on steroids. Call us old fashioned, but that's our preference. Good thing that there are choices for everyone!!

Hate to disappoint you, but I fear that none of the MDRs on the Celebrity ships are open for lunch on embarkation day. :( On the Solstice class ships we often use the "Bistro on 5" as an excellent substitute but, unfortunately, Century doesn't have this alternate extra-fee (very reasonable total cover charge of $5 pp) restaurant.

Please come join the R/C for the SF to Sydney cruise!!! Can't wait to have you join us!!!! :) LuAnn

quote=Northern Aurora;40367470]We were on an eighteen night cruise from Honolulu to Sydney on the Century in November 2011. In October 2012 we did a fifteen night cruise on her RT San Diego to Hawaii. We just left the Century earlier this following B2B cruises (the September 15th last Alaska run and the September 26th wine cruise, which is a nice name for a re-positioning cruise) in which we were onboard for twenty-two nights.

I just don't have some of the problems with this ship that other posters have. While it lacks the visually stunning atriums of the S-class ships, it also doesn't have the noise traveling up those elevator shafts either. I find many of the public rooms graceful and elegant. While I did find on this last B2B that the chairs in the Crystal room need to be re-placed (the chairs in the Hemisphere appeared to be in great shape) as does the carpet in the Crystal, the ship in general is very clean.

Our stateroom (a C1 on deck 9) was extremely clean, including carpet and bath. Yes, I walked on the stateroom carpet with white socks and the bottoms were not soiled. We had no plumbing problems. And while the wood work trim on the closet doors was nicked, the woodwork surrounding both the flat screen TV and the over the bed storage was in great condition.

As already mentioned there was an unannounced inspection at Catalina while on the Wine Cruise. And the ship passed with a score of 98 out of 100. The cleanliness of the ship is much more important to me than nicks in my stateroom closet door trim.

Out of the six future Celebrity cruises we have scheduled, two of them are on the Century. We are also scheduled for the September 2014 San Francisco to Sydney followed by the next twelve night South Pacific cruise (I really need to read the roll calls for those cruises). So we clearly feel comfortable with this ship since we have scheduled another thirty-five nights onboard.

While on the Century for 14 days to Hawaii in February (I think we are in the minority) but, we didn't care for the ship. Service and crew were awesome, but after sailing on mainly Celebrity's newest ships, it was a let down.

Lots of older passengers, quiet evenings and entertainment that was geared to seniors turned us off. Food quality was good, better in the alternative dining venue, but not nearly as good as we had on other ships, like the Eclipse.

We made the most of our time on the ship, and really enjoyed the down time - so much so, we booked another two week cruise. But I don't think I'll be going again on the Century.

what you are saying...this ship is NOT for everyone!!! It is SO different from the new S class ships...it is quite a shock!!!! While I HATE to think of myself as a "senior"...I guess I am...and maybe the longer cruises do cater to that age group. And I appreciate that you are again booking another cruise...any day at sea is awesome...right??? Thanks for your input...I think it is important that CC members understand that the longer cruises may have the "older" cruisers......BYW...it is true...as you get older...you still fell like you are "young"....:o LuAnn

We also didn't find many issues with the Century ship. She is not the most beautiful, but she is elegant. ;)

Here is a photo of her last month in Icy Straight.

WOW ...is is beautiful. I love that picture. Plus, Icy Strait Point is just phenomenal....one of the reasons for choosing Celebrity when I go up to Alaska.

Any menus? Interested in what is served with lobster on formal night. Is it shrimp or beef? I.e. Seafood Melody or Surf and turf?

Allergic to shrimp so have to avoid it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

We left the Century October 6th after B2B cruises. Lobster is served on the last formal night. As I recall it was presented in the shell and was not part of a melange.

WOW ...is is beautiful. I love that picture. Plus, Icy Strait Point is just phenomenal....one of the reasons for choosing Celebrity when I go up to Alaska.

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, the ship class is beautiful on the outside.

What did you find so phenomenal about Icy Straight? Perhaps we didn't see the best part. :confused:

I was glad to see someone, I believe it was Elena7 Seas, mention that the Aqua Spa had good coffee. Does anyone know if they are open early. I know I can get room service but that would wake my husband. I like to slip out and enjoy sunrise and enjoy my first cup or two of coffee on deck.

We are on 2/23/13 cruise on Century and it sounds as if some of you may be also.

Patsy

Was just on the Century, San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego (15 nights) Oct 7-22. We cruise almost exclusively on Holland America, and was interested in trying to add an additional option for cruising. We are not fans of large ships, so we thought we would give the Celebrity Century a try.

The ship felt somewhat "crowded" to us, possibly due to the layout. It is an older ship, but appeared well maintained and clean. We were disappointed in the food served in the MDR, however our waiter was fantastic!

This was our first Celebrity cruise and, for a number of reasons, will probably be our last. Nothing terrible about the cruise, but it was also not what we were accustomed to. We will be returning to HAL.

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, the ship class is beautiful on the outside.

What did you find so phenomenal about Icy Straight? Perhaps we didn't see the best part. :confused:

Icy Strait Point is my favorite port up in Alaska .... the beauty of the nature in that area is just awe inspiring to me. We loved that you could walk down the trail from the pier -- in front of those cute little picket fenced houses. The museum area right when you arrive is pretty cool. We took a whale watching trip from there -- and were treated to not only some of the best whale watching of all times but also to a grizzly on the shore. In all my trips to Alaska, that was the only time we saw a bear. It was definitely one of the most beautiful ports I have ever been in.

Our friends that we travelled with took a tour to the native Hoonah area and were treated to something entirely different -- the cultural food and dances, talk on totem polls, etc. I think our tour may have been better but I would have actually been happy with time just spent walking around the local area.

Funny thing is, we were travelling on the Infinity several years back, while it was in the midst of their propulsion pod problems. They called us all before the cruise and said they were going to have to skip the ISP stop....and gave us $200 off our cruise or were going to allow us to cancel. I thought....what the heck, I don't care. Now that I have been there, that port is a determining factor on whether I book with Celebrity or with Princess for Alaska. I love it, what can I say??

Was just on the Century' date=' San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego (15 nights) Oct 7-22. We cruise almost exclusively on Holland America, and was interested in trying to add an additional option for cruising. We are not fans of large ships, so we thought we would give the Celebrity Century a try.

The ship felt somewhat "crowded" to us, possibly due to the layout. It is an older ship, but appeared well maintained and clean. We were disappointed in the food served in the MDR, however our waiter was fantastic!

This was our first Celebrity cruise and, for a number of reasons, will probably be our last. Nothing terrible about the cruise, but it was also not what we were accustomed to. We will be returning to HAL.

[/quote']

Sorry you didn't have a better time. Funny how things work out

sometimes. I went on HAL over 8 years ago and it was the only

cruise I took with them....never went back.

It is good there is a cruiseline for all of us:)

On our Alaskan cruise, the Captain's Formal was on the first Formal night. ;)

Was just on the Century' date=' San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego (15 nights) Oct 7-22. We cruise almost exclusively on Holland America, and was interested in trying to add an additional option for cruising. We are not fans of large ships, so we thought we would give the Celebrity Century a try.

[/quote']

I can agree that nothing beats the service and crew of HAL. oh, and the Yum Yum Man. :D

Also, we have had some of the best ship food on HAL. It's been a few years, but do they still serve the coconut shrimp in the dining room? :)

Now, as far as ships go, we prefer Celebrity over HAL and think that the public areas are so much brighter and inviting. We didn't think the Century was crowded, even on a sea day when we could not go outside because of the cold.

Icy Strait Point is my favorite port up in Alaska .... the beauty of the nature in that area is just awe inspiring to me. We loved that you could walk down the trail from the pier -- in front of those cute little picket fenced houses. The museum area right when you arrive is pretty cool. We took a whale watching trip from there -- and were treated to not only some of the best whale watching of all times but also to a grizzly on the shore. In all my trips to Alaska, that was the only time we saw a bear. It was definitely one of the most beautiful ports I have ever been in.

Our friends that we travelled with took a tour to the native Hoonah area and were treated to something entirely different -- the cultural food and dances, talk on totem polls, etc. I think our tour may have been better but I would have actually been happy with time just spent walking around the local area.

Funny thing is, we were travelling on the Infinity several years back, while it was in the midst of their propulsion pod problems. They called us all before the cruise and said they were going to have to skip the ISP stop....and gave us $200 off our cruise or were going to allow us to cancel. I thought....what the heck, I don't care. Now that I have been there, that port is a determining factor on whether I book with Celebrity or with Princess for Alaska. I love it, what can I say??

We did all the above but the whale watching tour and the zip line. We walked the trail in both directions. The town of Hoonah underwhelmed. The port was pretty, but I understand recently built for tourist by the cruiselines. The donut hut was a highlight! :D

Didn't see a bear in any of the ports. Something I was really disappointed in. I had visions of seeing bears on the Hubbard Glacier. We did go whale watching in Juneau and it too was the best whale watching we have done. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

I want to put cash on my Sign and sail card. Can I do this at Guest Services or do I have to order cruise cash in advance?

You can do this onboard at guest services.

I have a question for you.

Why do you have a different count downs clocks in your post message for the same cruises as the count down clocks in your signature? :confused:

Not having these in your signature results in a shorter posts and quotes unless one manually removes these from the quote as I did and defeats the option one has of not showing signatures in the posts they view. Your signature is quite substantial as is.;)

Edited by robtulipe

You can do this onboard at guest services.

Why do you have a different count downs clocks in your post message for the same cruises as the count down clocks in your signature? :confused:

Not having these in your signature results in a shorter posts and quotes unless one manually removes these from the quote as I did and defeats the option one has of not showing signatures in the posts they view. Your signature is quite substantial as is.;)

Hi Bob...if you look at the first 2 clocks? They are not Cruise Cruise

clocks.....they are another website....I guess the person chats on

both....(that is just a guess).

Lois, I realize ccruisequeen count down in her post isn't a CC one. Nether is mine, you can left click on mine to see where it comes from.

If you go to http://www.cruise-addicts.com/countdown/countdown.php it states after you have generated the count down to Copy ALL the following code into your signature:

She appears to be copying it into her posts thus duplicating the information that is already in her signature and gets carried into qoutes of her post.:confused:

Edited by robtulipe

Lois, I realize ccruisequeen count down in her post isn't a CC one. Nether is mine, you can left click on mine to see where it comes from.

If you go to http://www.cruise-addicts.com/countdown/countdown.php it states after you have generated the count down to Copy ALL the following code into your signature:

She appears to be copying it into her posts thus duplicating the information that is already in her signature and gets carried into qoutes of her post.:confused:

Oh....sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question...sorry:eek:.......

I agree -- that's a pretty hefty signature to scroll though for some fairly short, and to-the-point posts, by Ccruisequeen. ;)

When I first joined CruiseCritic, I was SO proud that I finally figured out how to get all four of my (then) current count-down clocks into my signature. :p Then, a couple of very kind posters gently pointed out to me that I had lined all of them up horizontally, and they were getting whiplash trying to read my posts -- on what had become a very wide screen! :eek:

Well, I was just mortified -- I'd barely been able to get the darn things up in the first place, and I surely didn't know how to correct the problem. So, I went to the technical board here, and begged for help. Host Kat rode to my rescue. She fixed my clocks, and pointed out that I had failed to create a space between each of them -- hence, they were lined up horizontally, as opposed to a nice, manageable vertical stack. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I usually use the CC app, and those posts use just the two countdown clocks and the carnival platinum pic. If I go on a browser, those things don't post but the rest of my Sig does. Any posts made on the app will show as the complete thing on a browser, like parts one and two.

Actually, I can post more photos this way!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396058400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Pacific%20Coastal%20on%20Century