Tell me about the Century

Cruise Raider

What about safes on Century? Do they use a number code or a card with a magnetic strip?

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

Number code.

Thank you. One less thing to pack and worry about!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

We have not cruised on a ship with formal nights in 10 years..being from California my husband no longer owns a tie..where can we eat on formal nights with me in smart casual and my husband in slacks and a dress shirt no tie no jacket.. Thanks in advance

Jancruz1

We have not cruised on a ship with formal nights in 10 years..being from California my husband no longer owns a tie..where can we eat on formal nights with me in smart casual and my husband in slacks and a dress shirt no tie no jacket.. Thanks in advance

Jancruz1

In the MDR as I've often seen men dressed this way in that venue on the formal nights.

With women wear it is often hard to tell what is smart casual and formal wear.

Some on CC will say this shouldn't be done in the MDR on that night. All I'm saying is you and DH will be served even if he doesn't have a jacket and tie on. If you are uncomfortable with doing so on a formal night smart casual wear is acceptable in any of the other dining location onboard. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

Jancruz1

All The Specialty Restaurants are Smart Casual all the time. Bistro on 5

is always casual. The buffet is available and room service as well.

Jancruz1

I should have asked you what ship you are sailing on.....if it is CENTURY,

There is not a Bistro on 5 and there is only 1 Specialty Restaruant.

My answer in the previous post relates to all other ships in the fleet.

Jancruz1

Not saying that you won't be seated in the MDR on formal night -- but, my impression of Century was that it had a little more "formal" vibe, than some of the other X ships I've sailed. Maybe it's that there are fewer dining options, but what I saw on our 3 formal nights last year (Century to Hawaii) was a mix of: tuxes, dark suits, sports coats/blazers with dress slacks & ties -- even one very impressive dress kilt. I did see one gentleman who insisted on wearing a Hawaiian shirt w/slacks on the first formal night. Although that was perfect attire for the MDR on other (non-formal) nights -- I have to say that he stuck out like a sore thumb amid all the tuxes and dark suits, that night.

Jancruz1

We are on the Century again in Feb 2014. This will be our fourth time. I can lend you a tie as I have at least twenty and tow black, one gold and one pink bow ties for the formal nights.

Sue Denning was the cruise director on two of the cruises. She is one of the best ones. I may be predudiced as she only lives 40 miles away from us in the UK.

As we will be on Century in January for our first Celebrity cruise, it was great to hear of all the affection felt here. Our only concern is that we are in an oceanview under the MDR. Anyone have any experience in such a cabin? We aren't concerned about noise during dining times as we will be out of the cabin. We are more concerned about 4:00 a.m. vacuuming and such.:eek:

Hi - We just returned from the 11 night West Coast Wine cruise. We would not cruise on Century again. (We have about 30 X cruises already.) The ship shows lots of wear and tears. One more thing...the slot machines still use quarters, so expect dirty hands. :o Guess they'll update that during drydock!

One of my favorite things about our recent Century cruise was the fact that they still have quarter slots. I put in a $10 bill, hit the button and won $50! I cashed out (love that sound) and went to dinner! :D

I forgot to mention we are on the Select Dining on the Century..If I remember correctly that is upstairs of the main dining room and not as light and bright so I hope he wont stand out like a sore thumb..

Jancruz1

As we will be on Century in January for our first Celebrity cruise, it was great to hear of all the affection felt here. Our only concern is that we are in an oceanview under the MDR. Anyone have any experience in such a cabin? We aren't concerned about noise during dining times as we will be out of the cabin. We are more concerned about 4:00 a.m. vacuuming and such.:eek:

We had a rather bad experience with an OV guarantee cabin (4107) under the MDR during a TA in 2010. If your cabin (Deck 4) is midships, directly under the galley (IIRC portside is worse than starboard), you may not be sleeping much after about 4:30 AM. That is when the metal kitchen carts started being rolled over the tile floors continually. If you can, try to switch to another - same category - cabin, further aft (not further forward, because several of those are - I think - remodeled crew cabins and have the supports for bunkbeds, which caused lots of shoulder & head bumping). At least a cabin further aft will have you sleeping under the dining room and not the galley.

We were finally able to switch cabins after a couple of days, but only because several cabins were available due to Century's having to go into drydock during the previous cruise (and many passengers flew home instead of waiting around for the TA to begin).

I don't think I would again book an OV guarantee cabin. What cabin number do you have?

Edited by TenerifeSharon

We had a rather bad experience with an OV guarantee cabin (4107) under the MDR during a TA in 2010. If your cabin (Deck 4) is midships, directly under the galley (IIRC portside is worse than starboard), you may not be sleeping much after about 4:30 AM. That is when the metal kitchen carts started being rolled over the tile floors continually. If you can, try to switch to another - same category - cabin, further aft (not further forward, because several of those are - I think - remodeled crew cabins and have the supports for bunkbeds, which caused lots of shoulder & head bumping). At least a cabin further aft will have you sleeping under the dining room and not the galley.

We were finally able to switch cabins after a couple of days, but only because several cabins were available due to Century's having to go into drydock during the previous cruise (and many passengers flew home instead of waiting around for the TA to begin).

I don't think I would again book an OV guarantee cabin. What cabin number do you have?

We are in 4155. It is the furthest aft cabin on the port side. We are under some sort of unused area in the dining room. Neither our TA nor I could figure out what it is. He thought perhaps an elevator for staff use. The price has really gone up since we booked so upgrading is not an option. We are hoping for the best.:o

We are in 4155. It is the furthest aft cabin on the port side. We are under some sort of unused area in the dining room. Neither our TA nor I could figure out what it is. He thought perhaps an elevator for staff use. The price has really gone up since we booked so upgrading is not an option. We are hoping for the best.:o

I can imagine you'll be just fine there. According to the deck plans on the Celebrity website, you're just under the aft corner of the port side of the MDR, so there are only tables there (with carpeting underneath them:D).

I don't know what the empty space next to 4155 is, but maybe do a search here for Century 4155 and see if anyone has more info for you.

Enjoy your cruise! We're looking forward to enjoying Century for 24 days next September -- San Francisco to Sydney :)

Edited by TenerifeSharon

I can imagine you'll be just fine there. According to the deck plans on the Celebrity website, you're just under the aft corner of the port side of the MDR, so there are only tables there (with carpeting underneath them:D).

I don't know what the empty space next to 4155 is, but maybe do a search here for Century 4155 and see if anyone has more info for you.

Enjoy your cruise! We're looking forward to enjoying Century for 24 days next September -- San Francisco to Sydney :)

we are!!! You are so great with all your helpful info!!! Good on you!!! LuAnn

the Century twice in the last year....last Oct. on the re-po cruise from Vancouver to San Diego...(had to get off in SF because DH had to have a pacemaker implanted....:eek:) and then last April for a short 5 day R/T out of SD...up and down the So Cal coast. Yes..the ship is older...and doesn't look like an S class ship (while we love those too!)...she isn't supposed to, right??? Cause she is older!!! :D But ...we like the ship, lay-out and while not looking brand new...nothing was "over the top" ugly, worn, bad etc....IMO. She will be going to a short dry dock soon....we'll see what that entails. But we are booked next month for a R/T to HI from SD...and then on the T/P next September...we are well "seasoned"...and I mean that in every sense of the word...cruisers ...not only with Celebrity but many other cruise lines...and think Century is a great, grand older lady...kinda like me!!!! :p LuAnn

While on the Century for 14 days to Hawaii in February (I think we are in the minority) but, we didn't care for the ship. Service and crew were awesome, but after sailing on mainly Celebrity's newest ships, it was a let down.

Lots of older passengers, quiet evenings and entertainment that was geared to seniors turned us off. Food quality was good, better in the alternative dining venue, but not nearly as good as we had on other ships, like the Eclipse.

We made the most of our time on the ship, and really enjoyed the down time - so much so, we booked another two week cruise. But I don't think I'll be going again on the Century.

We were on an eighteen night cruise from Honolulu to Sydney on the Century in November 2011. In October 2012 we did a fifteen night cruise on her RT San Diego to Hawaii. We just left the Century earlier this following B2B cruises (the September 15th last Alaska run and the September 26th wine cruise, which is a nice name for a re-positioning cruise) in which we were onboard for twenty-two nights.

I just don't have some of the problems with this ship that other posters have. While it lacks the visually stunning atriums of the S-class ships, it also doesn't have the noise traveling up those elevator shafts either. I find many of the public rooms graceful and elegant. While I did find on this last B2B that the chairs in the Crystal room need to be re-placed (the chairs in the Hemisphere appeared to be in great shape) as does the carpet in the Crystal, the ship in general is very clean.

Our stateroom (a C1 on deck 9) was extremely clean, including carpet and bath. Yes, I walked on the stateroom carpet with white socks and the bottoms were not soiled. We had no plumbing problems. And while the wood work trim on the closet doors was nicked, the woodwork surrounding both the flat screen TV and the over the bed storage was in great condition.

As already mentioned there was an unannounced inspection at Catalina while on the Wine Cruise. And the ship passed with a score of 98 out of 100. The cleanliness of the ship is much more important to me than nicks in my stateroom closet door trim.

Out of the six future Celebrity cruises we have scheduled, two of them are on the Century. We are also scheduled for the September 2014 San Francisco to Sydney followed by the next twelve night South Pacific cruise (I really need to read the roll calls for those cruises). So we clearly feel comfortable with this ship since we have scheduled another thirty-five nights onboard.

Tenerifesharon and Zoncom thank you both for your comments. I hadn't considered that it might be a bus station. That makes perfect sense. I am still looking forward to our 15 days aboard and will deal with any issues, should they arise, if and when they happen. We both tend to sleep very well at sea and hope this will work in our favour. From what I have read about Celebrity and the Century, we should be more than pleased with the overall experience.