What's the least amount of shoes you have brought on a cruise?

Reading this really made me think about it, I just packed 7 pairs for our upcoming 8 day cruise :eek:

1. wearing sneakers on the plane.

2. black nike flip flops, casual

3. black multi color flip flops, casual

4. flat gold sandals, dressy

5. gold heels, dressy

6. black heels, dressy

7. black flip flop with diamond accents, somewhere in between lol

8. water shoes

I have arthritis in my knees and if it acts up I'll need the flats but if it doesn't I can wear the heels. Getting old sucks but going on a cruise rocks! :D

Happy crusiing all!

Edited by wannago35

After all my cruises, I still don't have the balance of shoes right. Every time I cut back I run into problems. I rarely ever have shoe issues until I get on a cruise.

Last summer I planned on wearing a pair of shoes that I'd worn around home and shopping many times. These were to be my only daytime shoe for the whole week. The day we boarded the ship they started rubbing in the same place on both feet and by dinner I had 2 huge blisters. Thank goodness for my teen grandson. He had a pair of what he called slides (like flip flops but without the hated piece between my toes. He had brought multiple pair and I wore one of his pair all week for the daytime.

One time I packed a pair of CK heels as my only pair of heels for the week. The bottom sole came apart from the rest of the shoe as I was walking. I'd only had them 2 months.

One cruise I had an inner ear infection and fell down a flight of stairs. By the time I landed, my sandal had come apart on one foot and the only thing keeping it on my foot was the ankle strap around my ankle.

One cruise in Jamaica a goat ate part of my shoe.

And yet another time ... I had kicked my shoes off while we were taking a small boat ride out to a sand bar. One of my shoes blew out of the boat and was swallowed up by the ocean.

At the most, a few time I have brought a different pair of sandals for every day and every night. At the least wearing on my day pair (the ones that blistered my feet) and taking 2 pair of dress shoes. Most of the time I've whittled back to about 3 for evening and 2-3 for day.

Your stories are a good reminder that even those of us trying to be minimalist packers MUST bring more than 1 pr of shoes, especially in areas where the size we wear might not be easily bought in local stores.

But that's also pretty dang funny. Sorry:p Hope you're far enough removed that you laugh at it now too!

Do you know what brand they are, I've been wearing mine for awhile and need a new pair but I have no idea the brand :eek:

Good to know thanks

Do you mean my flip flops or my flats? Flip flops were a cheap pair that I got a Burlington Coat Factory a few years ago. So doubt you'd be able to fine them. However, the flip flop brand Sanuk is very good, with nice squishy top layers. They are kinda pricey though. But very nice and lots of cute styles. http://www.sanuk.com/womens-flip-flops-and-sandals/womens-sandals,default,sc.html

They make regular shoes too.

My flats are Pumas. They have patent leather so they can be dressed up also. I love these but no support, so I added in insoles. They are sporty and dressy. Sounds weird but I love them and I've found they match with almost anything, from casual dresses, not-quite-cocktail dressy dresses, shorts and tanks, etc. http://www.6pm.com/puma-zandy-patent-wns-black

Reading this really made me think about it, I just packed 7 pairs for our upcoming 8 day cruise :eek:

1. wearing sneakers on the plane.

2. black nike flip flops, casual

3. black multi color flip flops, casual

4. flat gold sandals, dressy

5. gold heels, dressy

6. black heels, dressy

7. black flip flop with diamond accents, somewhere in between lol

8. water shoes

I have arthritis in my knees and if it acts up I'll need the flats but if it doesn't I can wear the heels. Getting old sucks but going on a cruise rocks! :D

Happy crusiing all!

Perhaps you could choose between #2 and 3, and 5 and 6, and eliminate either 4 or 7? I dunno, just a suggestion. If you are even looking to downsize that is. If not, then disregard me! :)

I also wonder, how many of your actually wear your sneakers other than on the plane to and back home? For shore excursions my comfy flip flops are fine and then I'm also fine if I go in the water. Just thinking out loud, if you get rid of the sneakers, and wear a pair of sandals on the plane, you get a bit more space, and then you wouldn't have to take socks either. ;)

After all my cruises, I still don't have the balance of shoes right. Every time I cut back I run into problems. I rarely ever have shoe issues until I get on a cruise.

Last summer I planned on wearing a pair of shoes that I'd worn around home and shopping many times. These were to be my only daytime shoe for the whole week. The day we boarded the ship they started rubbing in the same place on both feet and by dinner I had 2 huge blisters. Thank goodness for my teen grandson. He had a pair of what he called slides (like flip flops but without the hated piece between my toes. He had brought multiple pair and I wore one of his pair all week for the daytime.

One time I packed a pair of CK heels as my only pair of heels for the week. The bottom sole came apart from the rest of the shoe as I was walking. I'd only had them 2 months.

One cruise I had an inner ear infection and fell down a flight of stairs. By the time I landed, my sandal had come apart on one foot and the only thing keeping it on my foot was the ankle strap around my ankle.

And yet another time ... I had kicked my shoes off while we were taking a small boat ride out to a sand bar. One of my shoes blew out of the boat and was swallowed up by the ocean.

At the most, a few time I have brought a different pair of sandals for every day and every night. At the least wearing on my day pair (the ones that blistered my feet) and taking 2 pair of dress shoes. Most of the time I've whittled back to about 3 for evening and 2-3 for day.

Fair enough. If all that happened to me I would feel the same! LOL omg those are pretty awesome stories though.

I typically bring about 7 for a 7 night cruise with 1-2 nights precruise. And I wear all of them so it's good for me. I like choices :)

Last time, I think I took the following:

Teal wedge espadrilles

Pink flat sandals

Black patent strappy heels

Comfy boots for the plane (January in the midwest!)

Black flip flops

Silver flip flops

Orange flip flops

I wore all of them at least a couple times. The black flip flops didn't go with everything. The silver didn't either. And I wanted the orange because it's my favorite color :D I did leave home my black patent pumps and my water shoes so I cut down.

Edited by Ehpride

I do actually use my sneakers every day, especially sea days. We both love to walk on the ship and usually get in 2-4 miles, so, gotta have those sneakers! We also like to do a lot of walking in some ports.

I too have had multiple foot problems with shoes on trips, though nothing like yours, Littlejean. No goats have eaten my shoes! But, I often do develop terrible blisters or other sores. I always have; very tender feet.

I don't much like the look of sneakers on the plane, would prefer something more stylish, but they are the largest shoes and least packable I bring so I just go ahead and look a little dorky.

I do actually use my sneakers every day, especially sea days. We both love to walk on the ship and usually get in 2-4 miles, so, gotta have those sneakers! We also like to do a lot of walking in some ports.

I too have had multiple foot problems with shoes on trips, though nothing like yours, Littlejean. No goats have eaten my shoes! But, I often do develop terrible blisters or other sores. I always have; very tender feet.

I don't much like the look of sneakers on the plane, would prefer something more stylish, but they are the largest shoes and least packable I bring so I just go ahead and look a little dorky.

Oh yeah, that. LOL I don't really work out, so that thought never crossed my mind. Even though now I am recalling that several ladies said "sneakers for working out at the gym". :o

Perhaps you could choose between #2 and 3, and 5 and 6, and eliminate either 4 or 7? I dunno, just a suggestion. If you are even looking to downsize that is. If not, then disregard me! :)

I also wonder, how many of your actually wear your sneakers other than on the plane to and back home? For shore excursions my comfy flip flops are fine and then I'm also fine if I go in the water. Just thinking out loud, if you get rid of the sneakers, and wear a pair of sandals on the plane, you get a bit more space, and then you wouldn't have to take socks either. ;)

You know, my head says to downsize but can't bring myself to do so AND I repacked everything last night. Every pair I'm taking goes with at least 1-2 outfits, and if my arthritis kicks in (God forbid) I'll need the flats. Still got a few days so maybe I'll change my mind and take a chance, but thanks for your suggestions :)

re: wearing sneakers, it depends on the climate. I get cold easy so the sneaks on the plane are perfect. Depending on what we're doing in port I've also worn my sneaks. But I try to stay in flip flops/water shoes most of the time.

Edited by wannago35

Me too :/ 16ish pairs on my 12 night cruise! I brought a separate bag just for shoes :eek: maybe I can pick up some tips from this thread :D

I brought around the same amount too but mine were all sandals (heeled, flat, jeweled, plain, gold, silver etc) LOL

I am really trying to cutback for my upcoming 7 day cruise. I will wear tennis shoes on the plane, 1 pair of nude heels, 2 pair of flip flops, a pair of flat sandals that can be semi dressy, and a pair of water shoes (a must in my opinion for the caribbean).

I take 1 pr water shoes, 1 pr sneakers, 1 dressy sandal and wear 1 pr flats. Dh takes the male equivalent...works out fine.

First couple of cruises, we took a lot more shoes...well, me mostly. 4+ evening shoes, 3+ day time, 1 sneakers, 1 flats...crazy.

I really want to bring another pair of heels, but my heels are so bulky! They're high and usually with a platform, so they are hard to pack. I've decided I'm only bringing one formal dress this time :eek:! Really want to do the one bag thing this time. I even bought these tiny tiny cases from this Japanese home goods store for my lotions, makeup, etc. I realized most of the time I am packing mostly air in all the empty space my large containers are taking up.

I usually bring between 4-6 pairs with me.

I went on a 3 night cruise last month and brought 3 pairs with me.

Actually, it was 3 pairs of sandals.

Many asked about my dreaded shoe stories. And for the most part, yes, I've learned to laugh at them.

I rarely wear the tennis shoes that I take. I don't remember when the last time was that I wore them at home. However, there have been a couple excursions that we wanted to do over the years that required closed toe shoes. They are my insurance for that type of situation. Depending on how early I wake I sometimes get a few walking laps around the jogging pass and I'll want them for that as well.

Other than that you won't see me in tennis shoes.

the least amount of shoes I've brought has been 5 - water shoes, sneakers, wedges, strappy black sandals and strappy gold sandals. This girl needs options. I don't wear flip flops so I've decided on my next cruise I am going to bring a pair of UGG slippers for just lounging around.

We're going on an 8 day Caribbean cruise. I have it whittled down to black dress sandals, white dress sandals; water shoes, flip flops; and athletic shoes/sandals. Last time for the 7 day cruise, I brought more!

My girlfriend is bringing 10 pair. We're trying to go with less luggage, since we're paying for every checked piece, now.

We'll see what ends up in the suitcase next week. Leaving on Oct 19! YEA!:):D

Formal heels, flats (gold, they go with pretty much everything and can be dressed up or down), Merrel barefoot runners (wonder glove, not the ones that look like feet). Debating on flip flops for the spa. I could prolly do away with the black heels, but the makes me feel special to wear them.

I just got off a short cruise, where as it turns out I only had the shoes on my feet. I was trying to go with one bag and my CPAP. I meant to take one pair of sandals, but I was so busy helping a friend with medical issues that I left them behind. I had to buy a pair of sandals in Mexico.