Singles to get Double Points

This kept happening on my recent solo September cruises. It really began to grate on me.

"Just one?"

"Just you?"

"Alone?"

Seriously, some people need better training!

I guess I've been lucky that the staff haven't been rude to me when I've sailed alone. However, I did run into a co-worker on a cruise once (she worked in a different state, but doing the same job). She was with her extended family of 12 people. She asked me who I was sailing with and when I told her I was by myself, she said "oh, I'm sorry". Thankfully I didn't have to speak to her again on that cruise, other than a hello as we passed on the stairs a couple days later. :rolleyes:

I guess I've been lucky that the staff haven't been rude to me when I've sailed alone. However, I did run into a co-worker on a cruise once (she worked in a different state, but doing the same job). She was with her extended family of 12 people. She asked me who I was sailing with and when I told her I was by myself, she said "oh, I'm sorry". Thankfully I didn't have to speak to her again on that cruise, other than a hello as we passed on the stairs a couple days later. :rolleyes:

I was at a table for four, only the other three never showed up - for all twelve nights. The waiter took very good care of me and I ended up giving him my Wow card.

BTW - I am a Packer fan. Unfortunately the team has been riddled by injuries for the last two years (or the last 1 & 1/2 years). That said, they have to stop giving up first downs on 4th and twenty. That has happened too many times.

Edited by Cuizer2

This kept happening on my recent solo September cruises. It really began to grate on me.

"Just one?"

"Just you?"

"Alone?"

Seriously, some people need better training!

Carol, they just couldn't imagine such a vibrant young woman dining alone. :D;)

I don't quite understand what yo uare saying. "giving single supplements"? They don't give them. Singles pay them. And when a spouse dies how would that affect someone's cruising? Other than they have to pay the same for a room and get the same points. Most of the hotels I stay at in the USA allow 1 or 2 people in the same room for the same price. When a spouse dies they don't suddenly allow them to sleep at the Holiday Inn for half price, nor do they give them double loyalty points. :confused:

I personally think RCI's new policy is a bit odd. Especially as it pertains to suites. Why should ANYone get 3 points per night just because they are traveling solo? This is so wide open to abuse. When 2 are booked in a room together there is no way to get 3 points a night. I personally am ready to play their game. I just booked 2 solo cruises. Cruises I was going to take anyway. Today there was a price drop so my sister and I booked connecting rooms for just $50 more. :D $12.50 a day for my own toilet - great deal. It would cost more than that a day to use public toilets in Norway as I recently found out. ;)

Gina

I totally agree with you. There will be "abuse" of the system and now we will have the "problem" RCL was trying to prevent before- overcrowding of the top tiers.

I totally agree with you. There will be "abuse" of the system and now we will have the "problem" RCL was trying to prevent before- overcrowding of the top tiers.

Abuse? They are doing this to entice MORE SINGLES TO SAIL. More $$$. They are a public company and need to do things to entice people to sail. Who gives a rats patoot if the "top tiers are overcrowded".

And guess what, it worked on me. I booked a solo cruise because I wanted the bonus points to get to the next tier. RCI just got a chunk of MY money that I would not have otherwise spent. Didn't realize spending my money was an abuse of the system.

Remember, incentives offered to a different demographic, that doesn't take anything away from you in the process, is not unfair to you. If after a while RCI is not making money off of this they will change it. Otherwise my suggestion is to not care so much about the way others book their rooms. They are still spending MORE money. Isn't anyone a shareholder? (I am not). Am I missing something really obvious?

Abuse? They are doing this to entice MORE SINGLES TO SAIL. More $$$. They are a public company and need to do things to entice people to sail. Who gives a rats patoot if the "top tiers are overcrowded".

And guess what, it worked on me. I booked a solo cruise because I wanted the bonus points to get to the next tier. RCI just got a chunk of MY money that I would not have otherwise spent. Didn't realize spending my money was an abuse of the system.

Remember, incentives offered to a different demographic, that doesn't take anything away from you in the process, is not unfair to you. If after a while RCI is not making money off of this they will change it. Otherwise my suggestion is to not care so much about the way others book their rooms. They are still spending MORE money. Isn't anyone a shareholder? (I am not). Am I missing something really obvious?

You're not missing anything. Actually, your response is spot-on. I think RCCL will figure it all out in the long run about what works best for them. I think this thread has caused a little "over-thinking" on the subject.

I don't quite understand what yo uare saying. "giving single supplements"? They don't give them. Singles pay them. And when a spouse dies how would that affect someone's cruising? Other than they have to pay the same for a room and get the same points. Most of the hotels I stay at in the USA allow 1 or 2 people in the same room for the same price. When a spouse dies they don't suddenly allow them to sleep at the Holiday Inn for half price, nor do they give them double loyalty points. :confused:

I personally think RCI's new policy is a bit odd. Especially as it pertains to suites. Why should ANYone get 3 points per night just because they are traveling solo? This is so wide open to abuse. When 2 are booked in a room together there is no way to get 3 points a night. I personally am ready to play their game. I just booked 2 solo cruises. Cruises I was going to take anyway. Today there was a price drop so my sister and I booked connecting rooms for just $50 more. :D $12.50 a day for my own toilet - great deal. It would cost more than that a day to use public toilets in Norway as I recently found out. ;)

Gina

Aside from the fact that I don't know why it would be anyone's concern how many points another person is earning for their cruise (oh, wait- is that the sniff or elitism I sense?), let's address a couple of your statements:

- "Most of the hotels I stay at in the USA allow 1 or 2 people in the same room for the same price.":

With the exception of all-inclusive resorts, hotels don't include full board in their rates. A hotel room that is booked for two people at $200 a night is for the room only, without meals. Let's figure that the couple spends $50 for food per day for each person- so room and board for the two of them is $300. On the same basis, a solo traveler in the same room, with the same per person food allowance would have a food and board cost of $250- so a daily cost less than the couple's.

But on a cruise, the daily per person rate is for the room plus full board. So that the solo traveler, even though they theoretically will consume half as much food as the couple, will pay the same daily rate as the couple. When you think about it, the solo traveler is supplementing the cost of the couple's cruise! The single supplement that the cruise line charges a solo traveler underwrites part of the couple's bill. In return, why shouldn't the solo traveler receive some sort of compensation- like an extra daily cruise credit? Clearly, instead of griping about RCI finally extending some sort of benefit to solos you should be thanking us for footing part of your cruise bill! :p

- "I personally think RCI's new policy is a bit odd. Especially as it pertains to suites. Why should ANYone get 3 points per night just because they are traveling solo?":

Actually, RCI is coming more in line with airline policies: Did you know that United Airlines has instituted a new policy- beginning in 2014, Elite status is will be based on the amount of $ a flyer spends per year on airfare, not on the number of legs or miles flown. The more money you spend, the higher you rise in their Elite hierarchy. So- extending this to cruises, if solo travelers pay a higher daily rate for their cruise, then they should earn a higher rate of points.

As far as the suite goes- a couple earns 4 points per day in their suite. But a solo cruiser staying in the same suite and paying the same daily rate as the couple, only earns 3 points. Hey, wait- I agree with you! RCI's new policy IS unfair! Solos should earn the same 4 points per day as couples in a suite!!!

But on a cruise, the daily per person rate is for the room plus full board. As far as the suite goes- a couple earns 4 points per day in their suite. But a solo cruiser staying in the same suite and paying the same daily rate as the couple, only earns 3 points. Hey, wait- I agree with you! RCI's new policy IS unfair! Solos should earn the same 4 points per day as couples in a suite!!!

The couple vs solo points in a suite is misunderstood I think. If I and my DH sail in a suite, yes, we go up 2 points in total number of credits, NOT 4, but a solo goes up 3.

The couple vs solo points in a suite is misunderstood I think. If I and my DH sail in a suite, yes, we go up 2 points in total number of credits, NOT 4, but a solo goes up 3.

If you and your DH pay $4000 for a JS you get 2 points each = 4 if I book a JS and pay $4000 I get 3 points.

Edited by scotsman

Maybe I am confused-

This is from the RCI website:

"For instance, if you complete a 7-night cruise, you'll earn 7 Cruise Points, and when you purchase a suite you'll earn 14 Cruise Points."

So, a couple in a suite on a 7 day cruise would earn 14 + 14, or 28 points between them, but a solo sailing in the same suite would earn 7 x 3 points, or 21 points total.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that if a seven day suite costs $4000, no matter if it is occupied by a couple or by a solo- the couple earns a total of 28 points between them, but the solo cruiser earns only 21 points. Compare that to a 7 day cruise in a non-suite cabin: the couple earns a total of 14 points between them, and the solo cruiser also earns 14 points.

In other words (and please correct me if I'm wrong): the total number of points distributed to the occupants of a regular cabin is the same, whether it is occupied by one or two passengers, but in a suite the point distribution is inequitable- the solo traveler is given only 3/4 the number of points that is distributed to a couple.

If I've got that correct, then why are people so on edge about the new points distribution? Surely, if anyone should be complaining about the points earned when booking a suite it should be solo traveler who is paying the same amount of money as the couple, but earning fewer points?

So- am I missing something?

Maybe I am confused-

This is from the RCI website:

"For instance, if you complete a 7-night cruise, you'll earn 7 Cruise Points, and when you purchase a suite you'll earn 14 Cruise Points."

So, a couple in a suite on a 7 day cruise would earn 14 + 14, or 28 points between them, but a solo sailing in the same suite would earn 7 x 3 points, or 21 points total.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that if a seven day suite costs $4000, no matter if it is occupied by a couple or by a solo- the couple earns a total of 28 points between them, but the solo cruiser earns only 21 points. Compare that to a 7 day cruise in a non-suite cabin: the couple earns a total of 14 points between them, and the solo cruiser also earns 14 points.

In other words (and please correct me if I'm wrong): the total number of points distributed to the occupants of a regular cabin is the same, whether it is occupied by one or two passengers, but in a suite the point distribution is inequitable- the solo traveler is given only 3/4 the number of points that is distributed to a couple.

If I've got that correct, then why are people so on edge about the new points distribution? Surely, if anyone should be complaining about the points earned when booking a suite it should be solo traveler who is paying the same amount of money as the couple, but earning fewer points?

So- am I missing something?

Yes, you have totally missed it. As a couple, our points are not added together. If my husband were given no points, our total as a couple would be the same. Two points more per night. The single in the same room (we usually book JS or GS) will have 3 points more per night.

So we can only move up as quickly as a single passenger in total points, as a couple, if we book separate rooms. At this point the only thing we could possibly gain as a couple to do that would be a better shot at the champagne. :D ;)

If you and your DH pay $4000 for a JS you get 2 points each = 4 if I book a JS and pay $4000 I get 3 points.

OK George, I know you know that we do NOT get 4 points a night added to our cruise point total. A couple is treated as one person except for now in the points added to "their" total cruise points. There is no way they are adding 4 points a night to the total cruise points DH and I have. In fact if he cruised alone and got 3 points a night, our point total would not go up at all because those points would go to him alone. My point total would stay they same because I have that many more points than he does. It would take him a couple of cruises to catch up to me.

How about requesting the biggest table for regular late seating - then to arrive the 1st night to NO ONE else showing up? Can you say awkward? I felt like the loser guy in the pretty full dining room - sitting in the middle, at a table for 8, all by myself. I ended up drinking the whole bottle of wine that I planned on sharing. Needless to say, I had a great night anyway.

LOL, that happened to me on my third cruise on EOS. Showed up the first night at a table for 10 and was the only one. Later in the cruise another passenger and I were talking at the Champagne bar and she was telling me the "terrible" thing that happened in the MDR the first night. Seems there was a woman, all alone, at a table for 10 and "everyone felt sooo sorry for her." I asked which seating and dining room and then blurted out, that was me and I was o.k. with it:D She stopped talking to me after that:rolleyes:

Yes, you have totally missed it. As a couple, our points are not added together. If my husband were given no points, our total as a couple would be the same. Two points more per night. The single in the same room (we usually book JS or GS) will have 3 points more per night.

So we can only move up as quickly as a single passenger in total points, as a couple, if we book separate rooms. At this point the only thing we could possibly gain as a couple to do that would be a better shot at the champagne. :D ;)

OK George, I know you know that we do NOT get 4 points a night added to our cruise point total. A couple is treated as one person except for now in the points added to "their" total cruise points. There is no way they are adding 4 points a night to the total cruise points DH and I have. In fact if he cruised alone and got 3 points a night, our point total would not go up at all because those points would go to him alone. My point total would stay they same because I have that many more points than he does. It would take him a couple of cruises to catch up to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

If 2 people traveling together book a suite, they each get 2 points per night.

The total points distributed to that cabin is 4 points per night,

If a solo person books a suite, he or she gets 3 points per night.

The total points distributed to that cabin is 3 points per night.

RCI is not looking at the amount of money they charge per night per couple- they are looking at the amount of money they charge per night per passenger. If I share a suite with a friend, we do not pay the solo supplement, so we each get 2 points per night, and 4 points are distributed to the cabin. Why should it be different for a couple? Are you saying that you feel a couple should have one combined account, and that combined account should get 4 points per suite night? I thought the way it works is that each spouse or partner has her or her own account, but that the benefits of the 'highest' member are also accorded to the other. If I travel with my cruise friend who is D+ I don't get admitted to the lounge- but partners or spouse do, yes? So again- why the complaints?

Edited by happy trailer

But when a couple moves up one level, two people move up. When a single person moves up one level, only one person moves up. So a couple is getting twice the benefit when the couple moves up one level vs. a single.

OK George, I know you know that we do NOT get 4 points a night added to our cruise point total.

A couple does get four points added to their point total. Each person gets two points. Two people collecting two points each is four points. No matter how you want to minimize it, four points is four points and four points is greater than three points.

Edited by Cuizer2

Correct me if I'm wrong:

If 2 people traveling together book a suite, they each get 2 points per night.

The total points distributed to that cabin is 4 points per night,

If a solo person books a suite, he or she gets 3 points per night.

The total points distributed to that cabin is 3 points per night.

RCI is not looking at the amount of money they charge per night per couple- they are looking at the amount of money they charge per night per passenger. If I share a suite with a friend, we do not pay the solo supplement, so we each get 2 points per night, and 4 points are distributed to the cabin. Why should it be different for a couple? Are you saying that you feel a couple should have one combined account, and that combined account should get 4 points per suite night? I thought the way it works is that each spouse or partner has her or her own account, but that the benefits of the 'highest' member are also accorded to the other. If I travel with my cruise friend who is D+ I don't get admitted to the lounge- but partners or spouse do, yes? So again- why the complaints?

I believe you are correct! :) :confused:

Mr. Diamond has 80 points and he is traveling with his wife, Mrs. Diamond Plus with 200 points, and her unrelated friend, Ms. Platinum, is sharing their balcony room.

Mr. D will be able to get into the Concierge lounge with his wife because when they got married last year, he automatically was bestowed with her D+ status, despite not having the points on his own merit. Their friend, Ms. P will have to go find somewhere else for that pre-dinner drink. :rolleyes:

At the end of the week long cruise, Mr. D will have 87 points and Mrs. D+ will have 207. Their friend will also add 7 points to her total.

If Ms. Platinum is very rich, from her platinum mine business and can afford her own room, she'll get 14 points and just might make it to Emerald someday :D She still can't join her traveling companions in the lounge though. However, if Mr. & Mrs. D/D+ decide to get two cabins to double up on points, he will still be able to join her in the CL because they are married.