Royal Caribbean tipping??

bazzaw

On the eve of our next RCI cruise. I want to confirm something that I have "missed" up until now. Our last RCI cruise was in February, and on that, we tipped our waiters and cabin attendant by cash individually. However, it seems that changes were made by RCI in March this year such that they now automatically (and compulsorily) add a daily charge to our accounts. True??

I do prefer to pay the gratuities myself - but if this can no longer be with RCL, then so be it.

As for P&O AUS, I understand that they do not apply this charge - and I can "tip" as I wish for our upcoming PNG cruise???

Barry

On the eve of our next RCI cruise. I want to confirm something that I have "missed" up until now. Our last RCI cruise was in February, and on that, we tipped our waiters and cabin attendant by cash individually. However, it seems that changes were made by RCI in March this year such that they now automatically (and compulsorily) add a daily charge to our accounts. True??

I do prefer to pay the gratuities myself - but if this can no longer be with RCL, then so be it.

As for P&O AUS, I understand that they do not apply this charge - and I can "tip" as I wish for our upcoming PNG cruise???

Barry

with p&o the gratuities have been included in with the fare so no need to tip anyone unless you wish to

Barry

Barry you can opt to remove your daily charged Auto Tips in favour of cash tipping at any time during your RCI cruise but only if you have traditional dinning.

Daily Auto Grats on RCI are only compulsory and non removable for MTD.

We removed ours on our last RCI cruise because other table guests were paying cash last night, Customer relations wont even blink an eyelid if you front up and have them removed.

Pain in the Bum though if you want to tip the correct amounts in envelopes as the percentages to each crew member is so different.

If you pre pay your Autos before your cruise and then decide to pay cash instead whilst onboard the Purser cannot refund pre paid and it will need to be claimed back through RCI head office.

The tips are not compulsory just deducted everyday for all guests like P&O used to do.

Americans are split 50/50 on this new to RCI system and you will find now that Trad Dinning is on wait list on a lot of cruises where it was always MTD on wait list, which shows out the "Stiffers" lol

Den

Barry you can opt to remove your daily charged Auto Tips in favour of cash tipping at any time during your RCI cruise but only if you have traditional dinning.

Den

I did this once on a Cunard ship -- and is what I thought "was" the system -- BUT, it seems that the system changed in March this year and I can find no "official" statement anywhere that the automatic gratuities can be removed.

Barry

Den

I did this once on a Cunard ship -- and is what I thought "was" the system -- BUT, it seems that the system changed in March this year and I can find no "official" statement anywhere that the automatic gratuities can be removed.

Barry

Barry I cruised RCI in March and April this year when the new changes had already came into place.

With so many preferring MTD they were the ones who were hit with the compulsory non removable.

There were very lengthy threads on the RCI board with many getting it all wrong when these changes took place.

I removed ours at around the 7-10 day mark of a 14 night cruise

You can remove all or even part of your daily auto,s at any time in favour of cash tipping but only if you have chosen Traditional Dinning:)

You will find that Traditional Dinning is now becoming preferred because these cruisers can opt out of daily auto,s in favour of cash tips.

Your in cabin TV will automatically show your daily charge but will be put into Negative once you have them removed, this means the amount is still show but not added to your final daily account balance.

Den

Just wondering if we are suppose to tip for room service?

Is it compulsory? No! room service is included on RCI.

Should you tip for room service? I believe so as its the same as you would tip for room service on land or in a hotel.

Is it expected? Yes it is expected that you tip for room service by staff even though its a provided service of the cruise.

Could you order room service and feel ok about not tipping? I cant but know some who dont care what the staff think of them.

Den

Can this be removed as you sign in at boarding?

This is one US cruiser who does not like automatic tipping. But then I do not do MTD and I understand why they are charged that manner. But then how do they provide the money to the waiters/stewards?

if you wish to remove the tipping you see the purser once onboard, if people dont tip the staff only get a small wage off the cruise line

The actual wording from RC (in the FAQ's) section reads:

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount by visiting Guest Services during their cruise."

As fishtaco said, he and anecdotally others have had no issues with having the 'auto-tips' removed in favour of tipping as they see fit.

We have always pre-paid, whether we have MTD or 'traditional MDR' as it works for us.

Happy cruising

The actual wording from RC (in the FAQ's) section reads:

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount by visiting Guest Services during their cruise."

As fishtaco said, he and anecdotally others have had no issues with having the 'auto-tips' removed in favour of tipping as they see fit.

We have always pre-paid, whether we have MTD or 'traditional MDR' as it works for us.

Happy cruising

I have no objection to pre paid or daily charged to an account on any cruise but when you are sitting on an 8 topper with the same guests every night who have all chosen to tip the old way then it made me feel as if I would have to leave substantial extra tips in the dinning room as well:(

So I removed my tips mid to late cruise and split them into envelopes I got from Guest services, that way my envelopes last night were substantial enough for the wait staff to be happy with my tips.

We also left the correct tip for the room steward in a envelope but he wasnt worried about us because he was the one who told me that room stewards check in cabin tv,s early in the cruise to see who has removed the tips so as to ween out the "Stiffers";)

Pain in the butt really as the %,s were all over the place but i just rounded some up a bit.

I would have been much happier if all the table had left their daily auto,s in place but as we know many have their own views and opinions tipping!

I have no objection to pre paid or daily charged to an account on any cruise but when you are sitting on an 8 topper with the same guests every night who have all chosen to tip the old way then it made me feel as if I would have to leave substantial extra tips in the dinning room as well:(

So I removed my tips mid to late cruise and split them into envelopes I got from Guest services, that way my envelopes last night were substantial enough for the wait staff to be happy with my tips.

We also left the correct tip for the room steward in a envelope but he wasnt worried about us because he was the one who told me that room stewards check in cabin tv,s early in the cruise to see who has removed the tips so as to ween out the "Stiffers";)

Pain in the butt really as the %,s were all over the place but i just rounded some up a bit.

I would have been much happier if all the table had left their daily auto,s in place but as we know many have their own views and opinions tipping!

why would you worry if the others remove their tips, you have done the right thing and if anyone says anything just say i've paid my tips

thats why i like cruising princess and p&o one less thing to worry about and the staff are getting what they deserve

why would you worry if the others remove their tips, you have done the right thing and if anyone says anything just say i've paid my tips

thats why i like cruising princess and p&o one less thing to worry about and the staff are getting what they deserve

We are all different!

Our dinning room staff even drink server were the best we have encountered and some table guests were mentioning mid cruise that they were going to leave a good tip, this conversation kept going until the last sometimes in earshot of the staff to be tipped. I didnt want to feel as if I had to leave a huge extra tip but also didnt want to be the only one not leaving a good tip last night.

Solution was to remove the daily auto and give out envelopes as well.

I told my room steward what i was going to do just so his hopes werent dashed when he got the envelope only to find out afterwards the auto,s were removed.

I always use Trad Dinning and we usually do a whip around the table last night $5 or $10 each to be given as extra on the last night but this was not possible in this instance.

Just as a point My USA Carnival cruise showed no local on our table adding to the last night whip around even though some table guests were so demanding lol

I believe the daily auto,s should be non removable so everyone is on an even keel when it comes to tipping as regards to last nights dinner.

Den

We are all different!

Our dinning room staff even drink server were the best we have encountered and some table guests were mentioning mid cruise that they were going to leave a good tip, this conversation kept going until the last sometimes in earshot of the staff to be tipped. I didnt want to feel as if I had to leave a huge extra tip but also didnt want to be the only one not leaving a good tip last night.

Solution was to remove the daily auto and give out envelopes as well.

I told my room steward what i was going to do just so his hopes werent dashed when he got the envelope only to find out afterwards the auto,s were removed.

I always use Trad Dinning and we usually do a whip around the table last night $5 or $10 each to be given as extra on the last night but this was not possible in this instance.

Just as a point My USA Carnival cruise showed no local on our table adding to the last night whip around even though some table guests were so demanding lol

I believe the daily auto,s should be non removable so everyone is on an even keel when it comes to tipping as regards to last nights dinner.

Den

yes everyone is different as some like to pre pay their tips and some like to tip who they like but how long before its included in with the fare like princess and p&o then no one can remove it

Read post #7 of this thread for my answer to this question.

Room service is included but if I used It I would tip;)

To expand on that, it's only included during the day, and evening to midnight.

If you order from midnight to 5 a.m. there's a $3.95 fee.

To expand on that, it's only included during the day, and evening to midnight.

If you order from midnight to 5 a.m. there's a $3.95 fee.

I must remember to use the fee for room service because there just isnt enough food on a cruise so you really need to snack instead of sleep between midnight and 5 am else you may wither away with hunger:D:D:D

I must remember to use the fee for room service because there just isnt enough food on a cruise so you really need to snack instead of sleep between midnight and 5 am else you may wither away with hunger:D:D:D

39 nights at sea on RC, 500+ nights in hotels on business travel, maybe 200 other holiday nights in hotels/resorts etc & I have NEVER once found it necessary to order room service between midnight and 5am, whether I was paying or my expense account was :D

Daily Auto Grats on RCI are only compulsory and non removable for MTD.

Den

That is what I thought but on a recent cruise on the Rhapsody the couple at the next table during dinner informed us that they had gone to the reception and demanded their prepaid gratuities back and it was done.

They seemed unhappy with the cruise and ended up receiving a free meal at one of the restaurants and 20% off a future cruise due to complaining about noise while they were trying to sleep. Ironically these people were pretty noisy themselves. They were in the cabin next to us and I was regularly woken up by their TV blaring and the drawers being open and shut. Actually the drawers on Rhapsody are loud when they being opened or shut. As well as our neighbours I could hear the cabin behind as well.

Elaine.

That is what I thought but on a recent cruise on the Rhapsody the couple at the next table during dinner informed us that they had gone to the reception and demanded their prepaid gratuities back and it was done.

They seemed unhappy with the cruise and ended up receiving a free meal at one of the restaurants and 20% off a future cruise due to complaining about noise while they were trying to sleep. Ironically these people were pretty noisy themselves. They were in the cabin next to us and I was regularly woken up by their TV blaring and the drawers being open and shut. Actually the drawers on Rhapsody are loud when they being opened or shut. As well as our neighbours I could hear the cabin behind as well.

Elaine.

i hope you complained to them about all the noises they made

i hope you complained to them about all the noises they made

No I didn't. It wasn't middle of the night noise, mostly early morning. They were nice people, I just think they lacked self awareness.

I was surprised at the lack of manners concerning the lifts. I usually use the stairs but my husband was having trouble with his asthma and as we were on deck 3 we regularly caught the lift to deck 9.I couldn't believe how many people barged their way in before we could exit.

Regards Elaine.

Barry,

We have travelled in a few of the RCL cruises and I found the pre-paid is the best. You can give additional if you like. On one cruise I did the behind the scenes and noticed a notice near a service lift that had names and cabins and a yes or no. The no was highlighted, which I assume was no pre paid tips. We have found the crew are great but as other travellers mentioned many of the passengers are rude. I travel a lot and have used suites and I firmly believe that I have the same right to an enjoyable trip as any other passenger and expect common manners at the very least.

Have a great trip

I was surprised at the lack of manners concerning the lifts. I usually use the stairs but my husband was having trouble with his asthma and as we were on deck 3 we regularly caught the lift to deck 9.I couldn't believe how many people barged their way in before we could exit.

Regards Elaine.

People and lifts...... Yep, they will squeeze in with their walkers or on their go-carts and not really care about others, even kids had better manners. We quite often will wait for another lift if there are heaps running at the sound of the ding.

Archived