Boston Hotel

ilovewdw

Hi, all!

I have a cruise scheduled to leave from Boston July 2014. We are arriving the morning of departure and are going to park at the Port. We plan to stay for the weekend after the cruise and I am wondering where we should stay. We plan to go to a Red Sox game at Fenway one of the days, but we also want to see a lot of the city.

We would like to stay at a Starwood property (we have StarPoints). We plan to stay 3 Nights, Friday 8/1/14-Monday 8/4/13.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance! :)

Boston is a small city downtown and I don't think it really matters which Starwood property you pick if you can get a free room. Why don't you check to see about availability to use your points and come back with your options?

I'm seeing:

The W

Sheraton

Westin Copley

Westin Waterfront

The Liberty Hotel

I'd probably look at the Westin first, then the W or the Sheraton. I'm not familiar with the Liberty. The Westin Waterfront is the closest hotel to the Cruiseport and may be the most likely hotel from an availability standpoint. Lots of cruisers have stayed there because this hotel is often on Hotwire and they have been very satisfied.

This is a great question as I am doing same in July. Are all these properties walking distance to red sox game?

I have walked from the Sheraton to Fenway. You can also walk from Westin Copley to Fenway. They are not "short" walks, but walkable nonetheless.

The OP asked a very specific question about using Starwood points to get a free room. Hotel prices in Boston are very expensive, so my basic answer is always to take any free room you can get in the centrally located downtown area regardless of how close or not it is to Fenway Park.

Brendacruise - if you are using Starwood points, my answer would be the same to you. However, if you are paying for a hotel, then you should post back with your dates and number of people. Hotwire can be a great resource for a Boston hotel - almost any 3*+ property in one of the downtown areas will be a lot less than the published rack rates and will be suitable for exploring Boston. Walking distance to Fenway could be a very expensive criteria - IMO just not worth it. After a game you can walk for a while to let the crowds dissipate and then hop on the T to go wherever you need to go.

Sheraton and Westin Copley are about a mile walk from Fenway.

Liberty Hotel is a VERY cool place to stay and visit -- it used to be a prison, and a handful of rooms are old cells (much improved). Many rooms have Charles River views. The restaurants are top notch, and the lobby still has the catwalks the prison guards used, and it's a very hopping and hip place.

Thanks 138east! I am going end July for 2 nights. I think I may have enough points for holiday inn,? I'm thinking the hi express boston bar although not great ratings but not bad either? I don't have enough for intercontinental which looks nice. I was looking at the eEvision as well as early booking is 140 night I think. But the area may not be great, by hospital.

I looked at hot-wire but scared to do it. Any suggestions on price and what area to put in ?

So confused, lol!! But lots of time!

Which holiday inn express are you looking at? street address?

Envision Hotel is poorly located, but it is right on the green line E trolley about thirteen stops from Park St. I think the area would be OK, but not convenient.

What are your exact dates for July? For Hotwire you want to look at Back Bay/Copley, Theater, Quincy Market or Waterfront.

That's the Boston Garden Holiday Inn Express and I am seeing it on their website for $344!!!! Are you paying for the room or are you using points?

There are a bunch of highly rated and highly approved hotels on Hotwire right now in the $200 range. If the HI is free, the it's fine, but otherwise I'd seriously consider Hotwire because any 4* hotel in downtown Boston is going to exceed your expectations. If you need a named hotel, Hotwire has the Hilton Back Bay for $209 for your dates.

I don't know if prices will go up or down. Hotwire prices will certainly vary, but I can't predict that. The published hotel rates will probably not vary too much. If you don't like the idea of prepaying the hotel, then consider getting independent cruise insurance for the total price of your trip, which would include your precruise and post cruise days.

Walking to Fenway is not all it's cracked up to be. Public transit would be fine. You can always walk a bit after a game along Commonwealth Ave and cut over to Boylston to pick up the green line after the crowds have dissipated.

Walking to Fenway is not all it's cracked up to be. Public transit would be fine. You can always walk a bit after a game along Commonwealth Ave and cut over to Boylston to pick up the green line after the crowds have dissipated.

I wouldn't choose a property solely based on walkability but staying in the Back Bay has many advantages and proximity to Fenway is one. That said there is a hotel that overlooks Fenway it is not a chain and some folks want that experience. The name escapes me now but I'm sure you can find it on trip advisor.

I wouldn't choose a property solely based on walkability but staying in the Back Bay has many advantages and proximity to Fenway is one. That said there is a hotel that overlooks Fenway it is not a chain and some folks want that experience. The name escapes me now but I'm sure you can find it on trip advisor.

Hotel Commonwealth.

Hotel Commonwealth.
I wasn't think of the Hotel Commonwealth, I am familiar with it cause my dd went to BU. Never stayed there, out of my price range. I don't think it directly overlooks Fenway.

I looked it up and I was thinking of Hotel Buckminster. Never stayed there, and it has mixed reviews, but I do know there are specific rooms that overlook Fenway directly, and you probably pay a premium for them.

I wasn't think of the Hotel Commonwealth, I am familiar with it cause my dd went to BU. Never stayed there, out of my price range. I don't think it directly overlooks Fenway.

I looked it up and I was thinking of Hotel Buckminster. Never stayed there, and it has mixed reviews, but I do know there are specific rooms that overlook Fenway directly, and you probably pay a premium for them.

Buckminster used to be a flop house, but they've upgraded/updated it. It may have rooms overlooking the park, Hotel Commonwealth definitely does.

Neither is going to give you a great view, though.

As it's been mention many times before but, I got a great rate through Hotwire for the Sheraton in Back Bay. Even though I live not to far away DW and I need to get out and have some us time. Besides all the fun things to do is in that area, and things that are outside of walking distance is solved by public transportation. I find it easy to move about the city without a cab or car.

As it's been mention many times before but, I got a great rate through Hotwire for the Sheraton in Back Bay. Even though I live not to far away DW and I need to get out and have some us time. Besides all the fun things to do is in that area, and things that are outside of walking distance is solved by public transportation. I find it easy to move about the city without a cab or car.

So glad to hear that the Sheraton is again being offered on Hotwire. You can't beat the Back Bay location.

I would suggest the Westin Copley Place. It's conveniently located, with an underground trolley station close by. Copley Sq. is close to many sights and points of interest (i.e. the Boston Public Garden, Museum of Fine Arts, etc.). The Green Line trolleys run out to Kenmore Sq. & Fenway Park is just a stone's throw away. The Westin Boston Waterfront may be closer to the cruise ship pier, but it's a bit removed from the main points of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are local to the Boston area, I will be traveling there in August 2014. I will check out Hotwire for the pricing options. My main question is what area should I be considering when looking for a hotel. I'm not concerned with being close to the pier. I'm more concerned with being able to get around to all the touristy things that Boston has to offer. As far as price goes I understand it's not an inexpensive city to book a room in and $200 without taxes is ok for me. Thanks for the help!

The Hotwire areas are:

Back Bay/Copley

Boston Common/Theater

Downtown Boston/Faneuil Hall

Boston Waterfront/ North End

Waterfront/Convention Center

Beacon Hill

For stays of 2 nights or more we generally recommend Back Bay Copley because of the evening amenities of the area. There are many restaurants and two indoor urban malls that are open late.

Any of these other areas are fine as well, but they just tend to be more quiet at night after folks go home from work. Usually there are no offerings for Beacon Hill or Boston Waterfront/North End. The Waterfront/Convention Center area is closest to the pier and offers only 4* hotels. The usual result is the Westin Convention Center, but sometimes the Seaport.

The bottom line is that you are going to be happy with any 3*+ hotel in any of these areas. Wherever you stay in Boston, you are going to want to go somewhere else at some point. There is no perfect location, but if you are in one of the above areas, you will be fine.

If a hotel shows up on Hotwire, you can generally make a good guess as to which hotel it might be by using Betterbidding to compare the amenities being offered. If you start a mock bidding on Hotwire, a Trip Summary will come up on the right side and under Room type you can see all the amenities. Very often there is a unique amenity or combination of amenities that will point to the hotel.

My advice is to pay attention to the Hotwire approval rating as well. For your general dates I'm seeing a 3* Back Bay hotel for $139 with a 75% approval. This is likely to be the Hotel 140 which is acceptable, but not outstanding. There is also a 4* Back Bay hotel for $189 with a 95% approval rating that is likely to be the Loew's Back Bay. Research the possible hotels on Tripadvisor and if you like the reviews and the price suits, book it.

The Hotwire areas are:

Back Bay/Copley

Boston Common/Theater

Downtown Boston/Faneuil Hall

Boston Waterfront/ North End

Waterfront/Convention Center

Beacon Hill

For stays of 2 nights or more we generally recommend Back Bay Copley because of the evening amenities of the area. There are many restaurants and two indoor urban malls that are open late.

Any of these other areas are fine as well, but they just tend to be more quiet at night after folks go home from work. Usually there are no offerings for Beacon Hill or Boston Waterfront/North End. The Waterfront/Convention Center area is closest to the pier and offers only 4* hotels. The usual result is the Westin Convention Center, but sometimes the Seaport.

The bottom line is that you are going to be happy with any 3*+ hotel in any of these areas. Wherever you stay in Boston, you are going to want to go somewhere else at some point. There is no perfect location, but if you are in one of the above areas, you will be fine.

If a hotel shows up on Hotwire, you can generally make a good guess as to which hotel it might be by using Betterbidding to compare the amenities being offered. If you start a mock bidding on Hotwire, a Trip Summary will come up on the right side and under Room type you can see all the amenities. Very often there is a unique amenity or combination of amenities that will point to the hotel.

My advice is to pay attention to the Hotwire approval rating as well. For your general dates I'm seeing a 3* Back Bay hotel for $139 with a 75% approval. This is likely to be the Hotel 140 which is acceptable, but not outstanding. There is also a 4* Back Bay hotel for $189 with a 95% approval rating that is likely to be the Loew's Back Bay. Research the possible hotels on Tripadvisor and if you like the reviews and the price suits, book it.

Thank you! Your vast knowledge is greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to visiting your city and experiencing as much as I can in two short days.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you guys as I used the hot-wire and better bidding site to lead me to a great deal. I picked up Boston marriot Copley place in Boston for. 160 night...here is the amazing part, this is for July when rack rates are over 350!! I'm excited!! Thanks again 138east!