One concern re: River Cruising…at least with Viking…

janmcn

After a wonderful Viking Skadi cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam, we did have one concern that might also be of concern on other river boats…not sure.

We were VERY disappointed about the lack of hand sanitizers on board and how lax they were in asking people to use them. There were only ones as you came aboard and one in front of the dining room. However, they need to have one at each entrance to "the lounge" area (where you always gather) which is where they are needed the most. We saw many people not use them when entering the dining room…a difference from our ocean cruise experience where most people did use them.

In addition, since the dining area is crowded, it would be nice if people "self-quarantined" for dinner and ate in the Aquavit Lounge if they were not feeling well. One passenger did it as she was quite "sniffly" and said she was not feeling well at all towards the end of the cruise. We happened to be up in the Lounge eating to avoid all the ill people who were in the dining area by then. (By the end of the cruise there were quite a few people sick with a bad cold.) (There is no room service, so if ill, one is required to either have a partner bring food back to them, or eat in the dining room or lounge.)

Because there are no medical personnel or facilities on board, I would suggest that you take your own "emergency kit" of commonly used meds for cold, upset stomach, the runs, etc…Some of our port calls were very small villages with limited supplies. My husband (a doctor) was able to help supervise a passenger who became ill during the trip and had to go to a clinic…but that was fortunate for the passenger. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of small villages or, as one person was told, having an ambulance meet you at a lock, unless you are lucky to be heading to a large city soon.

Please DO USE THE HAND SANITIZERS and request more to be put on the ships if you find, as we did, that there are only a few. At least that MIGHT help.

There were hand sanitizers on both sides of the entry into the lounge and both entry doors to the ship on the Panorama with Avalon last year, we were reminded quite regularly about using them, plus I also remember reading it in our daily newsletters.

Hi Tassie Travellers

You seem to have a lot of knowledge about river cruising can you tell me do they actually serve fish that has been caught from the river ?.

How many cruises have you done ?

We enjoy your posts.

Karl

janmcn ~ "emergency kit" - good suggestion!!! Last year we traveled in October and I don't remember any sneezing or coughing - but December just might be a big difference!!! Thanks for the suggestion - I'll remember it when packing and try and be prepared!!!! Everyone else should also!

In 2010 we were on a Baltic cruise just after the ship had suffered through a noro virus. The Company had deep cleaned the ship just before our cruise which had cuased a delayed of only a few hours. But, even though the cruise line had tried to take good measures to avoid another outbreak, passengers were the worst arguing about using hand-sanitizers; rejecting the crew ladeling out buffet items; etc. Their lack of cooperating was detrimental to the ship's concern for their safety! Luckily it didn't seem like any great number of passengers became sick!

Thanks for the reminder - we'll go "prepared" and hope nothing has to be used!!!!

Probably not a priority when in Europe but our physician is willing to prescribes Cipro, Keflex and a z-pack before we leave on a trip. I also pack cortisone cream, bacitacin, anti-fungal cream ,Epi-pen, benadryl, Immodium and something for constipation,Ibuprophen or tylenol and always carry aspirin (in case of heart attack symptoms). Also simple first aid bandaids, ace bandages, eye wash, tweezers/scissors, blister care. If we are in a country with limited medical supplies we give these to our guide to give to a local clinic when we leave. But even in Europe we will take these supplies as it sure is easier than trying to find a pharmacy or local doctor.

Edited by luke's grandma

Probably not a priority when in Europe but our physician is willing to prescribes Cipro' date=' Keflex and a z-pack before we leave on a trip. I also pack cortisone cream, bacitacin, anti-fungal cream ,Epi-pen, benadryl, Immodium and something for constipation,Ibuprophen or tylenol and always carry aspirin (in case of heart attack symptoms). Also simple first aid bandaids, ace bandages, eye wash, tweezers/scissors, blister care. If we are in a country with limited medical supplies we give these to our guide to give to a local clinic when we leave. But even in Europe we will take these supplies as it sure is easier than trying to find a pharmacy or local doctor.[/quote']

You sound like me.. I take most of those things every time I travel also and I get Cipro from my Doctor before I leave. I like to be prepared for everything.

Hi Tassie Travellers

You seem to have a lot of knowledge about river cruising can you tell me do they actually serve fish that has been caught from the river ?.

How many cruises have you done ?

We enjoy your posts.

Karl

Hi Karl

Thanks for the compliments :)

No, as far as I know they dont catch and serve fish from the river. I think they stock up on meat and fish etc at the start of each cruise, then buy perishables at towns along the river.

We have only taken one river cruise so far and taking a back toback in Frsnce next June/July.

Apart from our one cruise, I get most of my knowledge from CC :)

Cheers Deb

Probably not a priority when in Europe but our physician is willing to prescribes Cipro' date=' Keflex and a z-pack before we leave on a trip. I also pack cortisone cream, bacitacin, anti-fungal cream ,Epi-pen, benadryl, Immodium and something for constipation,Ibuprophen or tylenol and always carry aspirin (in case of heart attack symptoms). Also simple first aid bandaids, ace bandages, eye wash, tweezers/scissors, blister care. If we are in a country with limited medical supplies we give these to our guide to give to a local clinic when we leave. But even in Europe we will take these supplies as it sure is easier than trying to find a pharmacy or local doctor.[/quote']

Wow, hope you are on our next cruise..prepared for everything. Love it !!! :)

I also pack cortisone cream' date=' bacitacin, anti-fungal cream ,Epi-pen, benadryl, Immodium and something for constipation,Ibuprophen or tylenol and always carry aspirin (in case of heart attack symptoms). Also simple first aid bandaids, ace bandages, eye wash, tweezers/scissors, blister care. But even in Europe we will take these supplies as it sure is easier than trying to find a pharmacy or local doctor.[/quote']

We always carry a lot of same stuff for the exact same reason ... never know when a pharmacy will be nearby.

But then again we take a lot of off-the-beaten path cruises like to the Amazon and -- our last cruise -- the Marquesa Islands

As for food on a river cruise (we've taken two of them), I've never noticed the boat buying food along the way

Edited by diane.in.ny

We sail on Viking in 4 days. I learned on a Baltic cruise years ago to travel prepared when we ran out of cold med and could not find any. Our doctor prescribed Cipro and Zpaks for both of us and I take with me hand sanitizer and wipes, day and night cold pills, Benadryl, various bandaids and neosporin, an ice bag and roll of ace bandage in case somebody has a spill, aleve and a variety of stomach ailment treatments. All this is lightweight and the way meds are now packed in bubble packs don't take up much room. Oh, and a good bag of Hall's cough drops. All this weighs less than half a pound and is well worth it!

Most illnesses one gets traveling are just viruses…how do you know you have a bacterial one unless you are tested for it? Cipro is for bacterial infections. Drug-resistant bacteria are a HUGE problem nowadays…Please don't ask for or use antibiotic unless you need it…i.e. have recurrent urinary tract infections, low immunity problems, etc.

"Q: Do people who take Cipro for no reason promote Cipro-resistant bacteria?

A: Yes. People who aren’t at risk but manage to get some antibiotic from their physician or over the Internet are getting no benefit from the drug. And they’re putting their health at risk because they’re promoting the growth of resistant bacteria in their bodies.

If, for example, they happen to get a urinary tract infection from a strain of Cipro-resistant bacteria, they’ll be much harder to treat, because doctors could no longer give them Cipro. They could end up in a hospital getting antibiotics that can only be given intravenously. And all because they gave themselves an unnecessary treatment.

On the other hand, anyone who is told by health authorities to take an antibiotic like Cipro or doxycycline should take it. Even if that encourages some resistant bacteria to grow, it could save their lives."

JANMCN...totally agree with overuse of antibiotics. especially when people want to take them for a cold or flu!..BUt being prepared when questionable health care is available is prudent....that being said although I always pack those things...we have never used them! I was nervous before we left for Africa last year and we all did just fine!!!

Jan, those are excellent points about the hand sanitizer. Lack of them is likely a cost savings by the accountants. Even though it's only a couple of steps out of your way while walking into the dining room, it's a couple of steps that most folks don't take. There needs to be one on each side.

I may be remembering incorrectly re the Var but I believe there was one on each side in the self-serve coffee area prior to entering the lounge. I think they wouldn't be noticed if you're heading into the lounge. There definitely was one for the lunches/dinners there.

We also carry a mini-sanitizer with us for restaurants while off boat.

Any place I travel, I always carry a minimal supply of OTC aids to help me get through the start of any illness. I count on finding a drug store ilater, f needed.

This wasn't so easy in Europe because of the language differences. My husband needed a foot spray and it took us a while to realize that we needed a store with a green cross to get this product. It also was a little difficult to be sure of the active ingredients. The pharmacist was very helpful.

Most illnesses one gets traveling are just viruses…how do you know you have a bacterial one unless you are tested for it? Cipro is for bacterial infections. Drug-resistant bacteria are a HUGE problem nowadays…Please don't ask for or use antibiotic unless you need it…i.e. have recurrent urinary tract infections, low immunity problems, etc.

"Q: Do people who take Cipro for no reason promote Cipro-resistant bacteria?

A: Yes. People who aren’t at risk but manage to get some antibiotic from their physician or over the Internet are getting no benefit from the drug. And they’re putting their health at risk because they’re promoting the growth of resistant bacteria in their bodies.

If, for example, they happen to get a urinary tract infection from a strain of Cipro-resistant bacteria, they’ll be much harder to treat, because doctors could no longer give them Cipro. They could end up in a hospital getting antibiotics that can only be given intravenously. And all because they gave themselves an unnecessary treatment.

On the other hand, anyone who is told by health authorities to take an antibiotic like Cipro or doxycycline should take it. Even if that encourages some resistant bacteria to grow, it could save their lives."

People cannot get cipro unless they go to their Doctor and they know if their patients are prone to infections and will give antibiotics when they know if they usually need something when travelling.

excellent advice about being prepared when travelling. basic first aid kits and armed with personal medical meds from your doctor is sensible. we always do this and take a letter detailing all meds that we carry.

basic hygiene is always important. its amazing how many who fail to wash their hands or use hand cleansers. perhaps they think they are special and no bugs will live on them?

on some river cruises the staff are more aware to prompt about the hand hygiene than others. but really adults should not need to be asked.

We saw many people not use them when entering the dining room…a difference from our ocean cruise experience where most people did use them.

The hand sanitizers DO help, but are not as effective as soap and water according to medical personnel. Your criticism of those individuals not using them upon entering the dining room was a little harsh. You forget that a great number of passengers probably just came from their staterooms and chose to wash properly before dining.

yes lets believe those who do not use the hand cleanser have already washed their hands. unfortunately its not just before eating/drinking, many do not wash after using toilets.

hand washing is so basic/simple and important.

Although the use of hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some illnesses, they are not as effective against norovirus.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/really-the-claim-hand-sanitizer-stops-norovirus-spread/?_r=0

How many sanitize and then handle menus, touch the bottom of the seats as they pull them to the table, use the salt and pepper shakers, touch railings, elevator buttons, telephones, remotes, etc? One could go crazy thinking about all of the germy places. Good old hand washing with soap and water is still the best method. I wonder if sometimes the mere presence of the sanitizer dispensers make people more complacent about a thorough hand washing? I am one of the peopke who prefer not to use hand sanitizers onboard, not knowing what they contain, or how effective thay are. I am a "hand washer" by habit and I don't want to touch the grimy dispenser handle. I carry my own hand sanitizer (they vary in ingredients by brand). So please don't judge those who pass the dispensers by.

Of course, having them available is better than nothing.

I am not a germaphobe by any means, I just prefer to deal with them my own way.

Avalon cruise In July had hand sanitizers at doors to Restaurant, also at main entry to ship along with towels and cool drink every time you returned to the ship. They made a point of reminding people to use hand sanitizers every time they returned to ship or entered the restaurant. We thought this was very professional and just another part of the whole Avalon experience, that is why we have booked another cruise with them.

Avalon cruise In July had hand sanitizers at doors to Restaurant, also at main entry to ship along with towels and cool drink every time you returned to the ship. They made a point of reminding people to use hand sanitizers every time they returned to ship or entered the restaurant. We thought this was very professional and just another part of the whole Avalon experience, that is why we have booked another cruise with them.

Well said. In my case I would just replace Avalon with Tauck as that as it was with us.

Any chance the All Blacks will let us win the 3rd Bledisloe Cup game?

Actually I don´t mind those hand sanitizers at all - I prefer washing my hands frequently! Hand sanitizers are worthless regarding Noro (there are special hand sanitizers but they are not widely spread on cruise ships). And to avoid a cold a hand sanitizer doesn´t help much either. A cold spreads through coughing and sneezing through the air. And a hand sanitizer doesn´t prevent you from breathing in the viruses or bacteria spread by coughing or sneezing.

I´m using them when provided but mainly to show the others that I´m trying to do my best to avoid any infections.

Colds and Noro do spread quickly in any "cramped" area and a river cruise ship is sort of a cramped area. There´s nearly nothing you can do to prevent it from spreading.

steamboats

• 3 weeks later...

Did a viking cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam in October. Three fourths of the people on our boat got a respirtory illness. Although there were hand sanitizers at the entrance to the dining room, few people used them. Staff did not encourage people to use it either (unlike ocean crusing).

My husband & I were fortunate to avoid getting sick. we constantly used the hand sanitizers each time we passed one. In addition, we didn't hold on to the hand rails when walking up/down stairs. We avoided fellow passengers who were sick. Drank plenty of orange juice each day too!