ship time vs Grand Cayman Island time

acctgtogo

We will be on the Silhouette sailing from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Labadee and back. We were looking at private excursions rather than ship excursions in Grand Cayman as we wanted to ride the jet skis to Stingray City but were told to be careful about ship time vs island time in Grand Cayman. Does the ship stay on Cozumel time when traveling back to Grand Cayman? As Grand Cayman is in the Eastern time zone, I didn't understand why ship time and island time would be different otherwise. We are traveling in January - so daylight savings time is not an issue.

Thanks.

We will be on the Silhouette sailing from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Labadee and back. We were looking at private excursions rather than ship excursions in Grand Cayman as we wanted to ride the jet skis to Stingray City but were told to be careful about ship time vs island time in Grand Cayman. Does the ship stay on Cozumel time when traveling back to Grand Cayman? As Grand Cayman is in the Eastern time zone, I didn't understand why ship time and island time would be different otherwise. We are traveling in January - so daylight savings time is not an issue.

Thanks.

Keep in mind GC is a tender port ...

sascol said "Ship time will always change to match the port you are visiting."

This is not true. There are rare occasions where Celebrity has a difference between ship time and local time.

Other lines often have differences between ship and local time.

It is the Captain' prerogative whether to change times or not on any given sailing.

sascol said "Ship time will always change to match the port you are visiting."

This is not true. There are rare occasions where Celebrity has a difference between ship time and local time.

Other lines often have differences between ship and local time.

It is the Captain' prerogative whether to change times or not on any given sailing.

I have a hard time believing this.

while this may indeed be at the Captain's choice, can you imagine the confusion that would be caused by the ship being one time and the port being another? You'd have passengers in utter states of confusion wondering what time to be back on board. You can announce it and post it on board as many times as you want but there are always going to be some that misinterpret or do not hear/see.

Perhaps if it is a day where the ship is not stopping somewhere and is just sailing through another time zone. That I get

You must not have sailed on one of the lines where ship time and shore time are different. Yes, it does confuse some people, yes some people do not read announcements, and some even miss the ship.

Believe it. You can do a search of these boards and see many discussions about this

On every Celebrity cruise I've been on ship time and shore time were the same. That's not to say that this is the case every time, but has been the case in ALL of my Celebrity cruises. I'm sure that there have been exceptions. I have experienced differences in port and ship time on other lines.

You must not have sailed on one of the lines where ship time and shore time are different. Yes, it does confuse some people, yes some people do not read announcements, and some even miss the ship

OK you have convinced me - but I see no rational reason for any captain/ship doing this. If anyone has an explanation as to why this might be the case I'd be interested in knowing.

Ask on the Carnival boards. That's one line that usually keeps the ship on the same time throughout the Caribbean

This is the Celebrity board. Do you have any first hand knowledge of Celebrity not following port time? Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of celebrity not following port time.? When? Where? I don't, but haven't been on every cruise.

To find out why it's a general practice to keep the ship on one time regardless do shore time, it might be better to go to a different cruise line discussion board.

It is very rare on Celebrity but we did see it once on a port stop in Mexico but that was the only time since we don't usually do Western Caribbean

Archived