poor RCCl customer service

ckzimmy

To the OP, I sympathise with you.

Why

1. Yes, you did book through a TA.

2. RCCL contacted you direct to advise you that your bookings had been cancelled and did not contact your TA in the first instance.

3. RCCL bypassed their own policy by contacting you direct.

4. Therefore you should have the right to ask them directly what is going on and you should have been given a polite response, regardless how upset you where, we all get emotional when something happens outside of our control.

5. They should be held accountable.

1. I agree

2. No one knows but TA if TA was contacted.

3. I'm not sure

4. All cruise lines I have dealt with have this policy.

5. We are only hearing one side of the story.

Actually, RCI contacted them about the cancellation of their shore excursions, which are made directly between the customer and RCI. They didn't bypass their policy.

So in other words, through RCI, the customer can book and cancel shore excursions to their hearts desire when booked through a TA, but RCI can't give the customer a yes or no answer about if the booking was canceled. That makes no sense.

So in other words, through RCI, the customer can book and cancel shore excursions to their hearts desire when booked through a TA, but RCI can't give the customer a yes or no answer about if the booking was canceled. That makes no sense.

I agree, it does make no sense. Also, the customer has the ability to use Royal's website to determine if their booking has been cancelled.

Agreed! Just like any other cruise line or business, sometimes it just depends on who you are talking to. I usually book direct, but once used a TA. I called Royal to ask a question about my booking as it was on the weekend, and was also told that I would have to wait until Monday to get official confirmation of the information since I had booked with a TA, but the rep at Royal answsered my question in general terms. I am sure they could not even do that in this circumstance, however it sounds like they could have at least been empathetic to the circumstance.

it is always a shame when things go wrong. we have found that the C&A Loyalty group of RCCL even if it is a TA problem will do what they can.

It's my understanding that the TA owns the booking thus the OP has to deal directly with the TA. This has been standard practice for as long as I can remember.

Also I have been alive long enough and have been on CC long enough to know that one needs to hear BOTH sides of the story. ;)

My biggest issue was how they treated me on the phone. The supervisor put me on hold without asking or telling me she was doing so & then almost laughing when I got upset after she said she was "calling the TA". I understand they probably get tired of saying the same thing over & over "you need to talk to your TA", but I have never had an issue like this. I had no idea they could not speak to me to even tell me if the cruise was cancelled or who did it. The e-mail of the cancellation came from RCCL - not the TA, so when the TA was closed, it made sense to me to call RCCL with a simple question.
What made sense to you and what the policies and procedures are happen to be two different things entirely. So now you know, at least by now I hope you do...:rolleyes:

As a TA I can tell you it certainly is a false notion that when you book through a TA that you are "no longer a customer of the cruise line". You are 100% a customer of the cruise line. You are going on their ship, not the TA's.

That being said, the cruise line will not do much as far as your reservation goes but they certainly can tell you if you still have a reservation. There is no excuse to be rude and disrespectful to a customer. If they could not have helped him then the supervisor should have offered to call the TA the next business day to get a resolution. That is customer service.

I am sure something along the lines of "I am sorry, but we cannot provide you with this information until we speak with your TA. Is it ok if I get your information and call the TA first thing in the morning and get this resolved? Either the TA or I will call you tomorrow morning." would have gone a long way.

Also as far as saying only use a big fully staffed TA for the best service; that is not always true at all. Call one of these huge TA's and see how much personal, attentive service you get. All of my clients have my cell phone number and can reach me 24/7. I had a client call at 11:00PM the other night to make a payment. The payment was processed and applied by 11:15.

Whats your point? And how do you have any idea if the CSR was rude at all?....:rolleyes:

I'm sorry this happened and I'm sure it will all work out. I know you had to book throught the TA because of the conference and I'm sorry. But, this is the way it is. After this conference, when you are just traveling for pleasure, book through RC so you can be in charge of the reservation.

It seems they were abrupt with you and maybe rude, I am sorry for that, don't let that put you off RC. Many people have said the service on the ships is 100 times better than the service in the office. Have a great cruise despite the problems! :)

That's such a lovely answer in what can get to be a nasty thread. Thank you, Maureen.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

To the OP, I sympathise with you.

Why

1. Yes, you did book through a TA.

2. RCCL contacted you direct to advise you that your bookings had been cancelled and did not contact your TA in the first instance.

3. RCCL bypassed their own policy by contacting you direct.

4. Therefore you should have the right to ask them directly what is going on and you should have been given a polite response, regardless how upset you where, we all get emotional when something happens outside of our control.

5. They should be held accountable.

Your wrong....:rolleyes:

I wonder if there were others that booked through this agency, who had their cruise cancelled? If so, it would make sense that Royal wouldn't say anything and would tell her to contact her agent. Maybe, the agency didn't make payment.

I've found, sometimes with a group booking, the agency charges your credit card and not the cruiseline. Now, I always make sure to ask. This is another reason to book directly with the cruiseline and transfer the booking to an agent, within 6 weeks, if you want the TA perks.

I don't know if this is what happened, just saying it could be.

I wonder if there were others that booked through this agency' date=' who had their cruise cancelled? If so, it would make sense that Royal wouldn't say anything and would tell her to contact her agent. Maybe, the agency didn't make payment.

I've found, sometimes with a group booking, the agency charges your credit card and not the cruiseline. Now, I always make sure to ask. This is another reason to book directly with the cruiseline and transfer the booking to an agent, within 6 weeks, if you want the TA perks.

I don't know if this is what happened, just saying it could be.[/quote']

Its frustrating to hear about the unexpected cruise cancellation.

We may never find out the why and how the booking was cancelled.

Somewhere along the booking process, some step was not followed according to the booking rules.

There were some points brought out on how the booking process goes between the agent and Royal, and what possibly may have happen to cause the cancellation.

I know its difficult to book directly with Royal when you are joining a group conference cruise.

I like the idea of booking directly knowing that the payment is going to Royal now.

As little Buddys Mom has suggested, it may be better to book directly with Royal if possible, and then transfer to an agent if so desired.... At least you know that a payment has been made directly to Royal, and not held for later submission...

I thank all of you who post on Cruise Critic. By reading the posts, I am in a better position to troubleshoot and follow up on my cruise bookings.

OP is a customer, end of story. Whether they booked with Bozo the Clown or Sams Deli, they will be boarding an RCI ship in January and will be a paying guest. They have every right to expect good, courteous, apologetic customer service from whoever they speak with, regardless of policy and who "owns" the ressie.

I'll bet if your ressie was cancelled and you received a response that was lacking in empathy you would be fit to be tied.

Have you ever called the college that you are paying for to ask questions about your child's classes/attendance (take your pick on whatever)? Unless they have signed a form from your child stating it is okay to talk with you, you will get nothing - big fat zero:eek:.

What about calling on medical billing you receive on an over 18 child still on your insurance? Good luck getting any information out of them on that either;).

Same basic principle - RCCL did not/does not have the right to discuss the booking in question with the tertiary party (OP). It may sound lame to you and me, but there is, I'm sure, a legal reason for it.

Sometimes we all have to swallow and wait - we are a country of 'I want what I want and I want it now!' people - sometimes that just don't work. Move on:rolleyes:

I believe you missed my point. I am not disputing RCI's policy. I am simply saying that RCI should be pleasant and courteous while delivering the message that they cannot access the customers account because it was booked thru a TA. According to the OP's account, they were handled poorly and given bad customer service.

ckzimmy I think you are the one who was rude with the customer service representative. She "has" to go by the rules given to her by RCL just as I am sure your assistant has to follow your rules. If she is told by the "suits" not to speak with anyone who has booked a cruise outside of their PVP would you rather she risks losing her job by helping you out?

Think about it, if you asked your assistant not to give out information to a certain client, to tell them to contact a certain person but she decides to play nice and help that client out, would you be able to trust her again to follow your rules and regulations? I don't think anyone of us could. Its the same with Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian, etc.

So listen and listen good, the person at RCL while she might have wanted to help you she couldn't. And by downgraded her on the phone only probably made her feel misery about doing her job the way it was suppose to be done. I give her an A+ by sticking with the rules and putting up with people like you.

Ladycruiser,

I have to say I am a bit offended. What do you mean by "people like you"? Why do you think I was the one who was rude? Where you on the phone - do you know me? What "assistant" are you speaking of - because I certainly don't have one.

Ladycruiser,

I have to say I am a bit offended. What do you mean by "people like you"? Why do you think I was the one who was rude? Where you on the phone - do you know me? What "assistant" are you speaking of - because I certainly don't have one.

I think you have a right to be offended by the "people like you" post above. You were not treated well by RCCL's Customer Service, and I'm sure it was a stressful conversation for both sides. HOWEVER, they get PAID to be nice to people on the phone. It's their JOB to do so.

I wish you had the name of the supervisor, because if you did, I would encourage you to call the Resolutions Department and talk to them about the incident.

You were the injured party in this deal, and even though you were not able to talk to them directly about your reservation, there were much better alternatives available to them to handle your call.

I hope you have a great cruise in January!!

Ladycruiser,

No I do not know you but from your text I do know your type. I've had to deal with it for over 37 years working in the Administrative Offices of a local education system. You came here and put in written how you called RCL to get information and when the person speaking with you told you that they had no authority to give you that information you, as you wrote, continue to press for more information. And from the sound of it the more you were told no the more you made excuses of why the person should give you your answers.

As for speaking about "your" assistant I was speaking in general terms giving you an example that you might have related to if the shoe was on your foot.

You might be a nice person but from the tone of your text I could not come to that conclusion as you probably can't guess from my two texts here that I am usually a lady, until today.

I don't think this is true, RCI pays the TA 15 - 20% of the booking fee to administer the booking of the TA's own customer.

The fact the TA has had to give away most of that 15 - 20% in obc and bottles of wine to actually secure the customer in the first place is perhaps the root of all the problems.

I don't blame RCI for adopting the attitude of over to you Mr TA, but again make the point that there is no need for rudeness.

That is an issue that the TAs brought on themselves. I have little sympathy for their plight. And I have been booking directly with RCI for some time now. It saves a lot of stress like the OP experienced and I could not care less about a bottle of wine in order to secure my business. When I am spending thousands of dollars on something, not to mention taking time out of work, no one is going to tell me that I don't own the reservations. Its my money, its my reservation.

Travel agent/not travel agent, the bottom line here is that the corporate culture at RCCI is one of extreme arrogance.

If there is a cruise line that most imitates a U.S. airline, it is RCCI. And did you know they all eat "nails for breakfast ?!

Worldspan

132 cruises strong

So which cruise line do you patronize? I have never encountered this "extreme arrogance" dealing with any employee of RCI.

There are three sides to every story - we will never hear Royals, but I would have to say that it sounds like the OP might have been a bit pushy. Honestly, she has stated that she knows that the TA owns the reservation and that she acknowledged that to the rep. Why did she keep pushing? Maybe the CSR got frustrated after saying the same thing over and over again? JMT - this is one of those situations that I wouldn't even have bothered to call Royal.

EXACTLY . Sorry, my thoughts were there is more to this story, and lets be honest, not everyone is friendly to the CSR when they call because they're all ready upset over whatever news it is they received. I've been in the CSR's shoes, and if they can get in trouble for simply telling you one thing, they are going to avoid that at all costs and state policy, end of story.

Also, when a CSR gets upset, and the supervisor sees that, they will not be as sweet as pie to you. Most supervisors love their co-workers enough to get an attitude with the person who refuses to listen to reason.

They did nothing wrong? If the OP's story is correct...they did everything wrong as far as customer service. It could have been handled better. Yes, once booked with a TA they need to deal with the TA. But being rude to a customer is certainly not "doing absolutely nothing wrong". Peoples expectations are so low they except rudeness as customer "service"?

maybe they only got rude after the op kept asking the same thing even

they already answered the question. I hate when someone answers a question correctly and the other person continues to ask the same thing over and over. like magically thier policy will change. I live with someone like that. the same question asked 20 times still has the same answer if it is a policy

So let me get this straight. The op is paying lot of money to a company, granted through a TA, that company (not the TA) sends the op an email suggesting their booking might be canceled, the op calls that company, and now the op is getting flamed for POSSIBLY being too pushy. WTH??!! Are you freakn' kidding me? I don't give a damn what their TA policy is....if a company who I am paying a lot of money to can't give me the common courtesy of simply answering a yes or no question, after they predicated the question, you better believe I'd get pushy. I'd be livid! To suggest its perfectly fine for the company to cop an attitude in response is crazy. What the heck is going on here? :rolleyes:

Archived