When is a dress code not a dress code? On Silversea!

cruiseerf

I doubt any cruise line would turn down a big group.Those reservations are usually made well ahead.

We have booked a SS cruise in 2015 even knowing there will be 3 groups and possibly we may be the only independent cruisers .We did so because it was a cruise we really want to do and not offered before.

I am sure we will be able to cope even if the groups shun us.There is always the staff to converse with.And of course more time for me to do a cruise report!:)

The fact we were able to get on this cruise which has not been marketed shows that SS does indeed look after its loyal cruisers.

We were recently on the Silver Spirit and the dress code was sort of enforced in The Restaurant on a nightly basis. On the nights when jackets were required, gentlemen entering without a jacket were provided one by the M.D. from a stock he kept off to the side. He did not require that it be worn, however, but that it be draped over the back of the chair while dining. We learned this when we saw a man next to us get up to leave and he left what I thought was his sports jacket on the chair. When we told him he forgot his jacket, he said it was not his, but the restaurant's. Then sure enough, the M.D. then came and got it. Very strange.

It would seem that Silversea does not regard loyalty and repeat business from returning customers as a priority. The majority of corporate group guests are unlikely to use such a luxury line again if they have to pay their own fare.

I am not certain this is correct. A year or so ago, I sat in Panorama next to a group of three couples -- very nice folks. We chatted briefly, and it turned out that they had been introduced to Silversea when they and a number of colleagues travelled on the Spirit as part of a much larger group who had been awarded the trip for exceptional performance at their company. None of them had ever cruised before. They were now cruising and Silversea converts and had paid their own way. To judge from the behavior of these three couples, the rest of their colleagues on the group cruise were probably very well behaved and unobtrusive.

Yes, good to know that even the little people can be well behaved and unobtrusive and if they save up their lunch money they can actually afford a SS cruise!

We need to get over ourselves people. Guess what? Just being on a cruise ship means you are part of a group. If you do not want to have to "deal with groups" then just charter your own ship.

• 1 month later...
For what it is worth- this same complaint seems to be ubiquitos across all cruise lines, in restaurants, and on the streets pretty much world wide. Standards of dress have changed dramatically over the past few years and it looks unlikely that they will ever go back. I mean, you see people wandering the shops in their pajamas and fuzzy slippers.

We had breakfast at the four Seasons in Hong Kong last year and at the table next to us was a group of men in their bathrobes...I couldn't believe it. Most of the people were in business attire as it is a business hotel..

Perhaps villageins has insider information that the bathrobe wearers were actually British ? Otherwise I have no clue...:confused:

We do tend to get blamed/picked on for everything.:D but in this case I really don't think the nationality, actual or perceived, of the wearers is relevant.

We're staying at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong in a couple of weeks. I won't be wearing my bathrobe to breakfast.

You've got my jooces oozin Miwiam! Please post piccies!!

:D

oh dear, not your jooces!

I'm hopeless at posting pics, especially during a trip, but will try to do so when I get back. tell your jooces to be patient :D

erm....edited to add, I assume you meant piccies of the breakfast, not of anyone in a bathrobe?:D

Edited by Nigella

Couldn't have been Brits, we wear dressing gowns, not bathrobes.

That's true, although I have noticed that I refer to it as a bathrobe when I'm on holiday but at home it's a dressing gown and I won't be separated from it :D

Anyway I'll be sure to give a full report on satorial choices of the other guests at the FS in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Nigella

• 3 weeks later...
First off, let me be clear that I don't like dress codes. I think if people want to dress up, than they should be able to and look beautiful and if not....so be it. I have frequently sat with older people on SS who were dressed in outdated 20+ year old suits and dresses and yet they loved the almighty dress code. They looked ridiculous, and I think Dress codes are a thing of the past. Last year on Formal night on the Silver Spirit I was forced to wear the dining rooms tie to enter as the dress code was fully enforced and it was Silversea's policy. My bad, I accept and wore my badge of shame proudly. I learned and this year came prepared to dress up.

Lo and behold, I was on the Silver Spirit September 26-October 3rd for the Black sea cruise. Upon boarding, it was clear that this cruise was to be a Venezuelan cruise. Silversea had sold a group of "top performers" from an insurance company 100+ cabins onboard the spirit. Formal night on night two, I break out my new jacket and YES, my tie and I walk into a dining room where 1/2 of the men have no ties and many have no jackets? I was incredulous? So I spoke to the restaurant director Deborah and she said it was a large group and they were trying to inform them and doing their best. So the dress code is the dress code unless there is a large group present? Why didn't Silversea notify us that this was going to be a casual cruise? I LOVE casual cruises. Next night informal, counted at least 20 men without sport jackets and then stopped counting.....dress code fail. I spoke to hotel Director Paolo and he said "I have notified corporate" but these people were sold the cruise....What can we do? And I ask my Cruise Critic members....What can we do?

So, am I wrong for being upset that I was not allowed in the dining room last year for not wearing a tie and our entire cruise suddenly became dress down for the group onboard? Why was I, a full fare passenger last year penalized? To hell with the rest of us? Can I throw a couple $$$ more at SS and not have to dress up anymore? Amen! Silversea sold cabins and sold the loyal SS travelers onboard up the river.

Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous? I am very disappointed with Silversea's handling of this. If they have a dress code, then they need to enforce it bar none. Otherwise, end this madness, and save us all a lot of time and packing weight.

Seabourn and Regent Country club casual is starting to look good.....

Safe travels to all!

Bad news - I've seen the dress code randomly enforced on both Seabourn an Regent.

I suspect that Silversea - and also other lines - do not let these groups or their organisers know the dress code, and these passengers arrive without bringing jackets as they don't know they need them. Unlike the rest of us, they probably never see a Silversea brochure.

Once on Seabourn there was a small group of men who came into the dining room in jeans, and were allowed in. I queried with the Maitre'd, who said they were working for a company working for Seabourn on board, and he couldn't really do anything about it, as they had not been told the dress code. The head office of the line are IMO to blame.