New Cabanas at GSC-Small Cabana On The Cay

Nalagh

It looks like they weren't kidding when they said "Prices vary by sail date." :rolleyes: If I don't log in and check the GSC excursions, I get $149 for the small cabana and $249 for the large cabana. The same prices show up under the "Bahamas and Florida Cruises" shore excursions. However, if I select "Caribbean Cruises" I end up with $199 for the small cabana and $299 for the large cabana. Finally, if I log in (we're doing a Western Caribbean on the Pearl Christmas week) the small cabana shows up as $249. I believe we're out of the large cabanas since it's no longer an option but we booked ours for $299 last month.

BTW, the slide passes are no longer included with the cabana rentals. :( There have been a handful of threads both here and in the Private Islands subforum that discussed this change.

the large cabanas have been booked for many many months for my November sailing. i know they were originally listed at $299. we were planning on sharing it with my brother's family - a total of 7 of us in a large cabana, but they were all sold out 10 mos ago. I just looked at the "small" cabana.. same price for smaller cabana, less amenities and fewer people? And my biggest question is.. WHERE are they? How far the action are the "small" cabanas?

For me, it just doesn't sound worth the cost.

I am sailing the breakaway in 2 weeks and have not seen the option to book the clamshell- did you book once onboard? Would I need 2 for me and DH?

I booked on board, mostly so I could be assured of the priority tender tickets. On our sailing we were the only ship (Sun) so not many people, plenty available. There was also limited shade under some trees if you are early enough.

The clamshells also vary with some having a screen for ventilation and some a solid back which can get hot. Big enough for two loungers...

Video from NCL showing the large cabanas:

It's not right to charge more for the Breakaway than other ships for the same thing, and charge the same price for a small as a large cabana, but holds less people, and has half the food and drink credit. I guess they think people are prepared to pay that much, so why not!

On the Gem this summer the price was $299 for the large cabanas (no small ones yet) with no slide passes. When I booked in 2012, the price was $249 and included slide tickets but I waited too long to book the cabana and they changed the price and took away the slide tickets so I passed on it and opted for the clamshell (included priority tender tickets and nothing else) which I booked onboard the first day. Even with priority tender tickets, when we arrived the first full row was taken and we were stuck with second row seating with no ventilation. Plus there was bird poop on all the chairs. We just kept our stuff there. So I would not pay for a clamshell again. But if they offer the smaller cabanas for $149, or even $199, I would do it over the cost of the large cabana. Were might have stayed longer if we had better shelter. With just a hot, dirty clamshell we were outta there by 1:30. Now if it is the same high price as the large cabana, forget it. We're a family of 3. That is $100 each - which is a high price for a "free" excursion to a private island.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

The bottom line

For the same week at GSC in December

The Breakaway costs $399 & $299

Large Cabana on the Cay - All Day

Picture yourself relaxing in your large, private cabana with everything you need for a relaxing day on the Cay - including complimentary floating mats, plus a $50 credit toward food and beverages.

Starting from ADULT $399

Small Cabana On The Cay (All Day)

The small, private cabanas located on Fiesta Beach are ideal for a couple or a small family. They offer everything you need for a relaxing day on the Cay including complimentary floating mats, plus a $25 credit toward food and beverages.

Starting from ADULT $299

The Sky costs $249 & $199

Large Cabana on the Cay - All Day

Picture yourself relaxing in your large, private cabana with everything you need for a relaxing day on the Cay - including complimentary floating mats, plus a $50 credit toward food and beverages.

Starting from ADULT $249

Small Cabana On The Cay (All Day)

The small, private cabanas located on Fiesta Beach are ideal for a couple or a small family. They offer everything you need for a relaxing day on the Cay including complimentary floating mats, plus a $25 credit toward food and beverages.

Starting from ADULT $199

I'm planning on talking to someone about the waterslide passes. I understand they are no longer included with the cabana, but when I booked (and paid), they were included. Since the bracelets will cost me $75 for my children, I'm going to see if they will include them, since they were part of the package I paid for. I think if they took away the $50 food and beverage credit, I'd feel the same way.

I'm hoping they don't give me a hard time.

I'm planning on talking to someone about the waterslide passes. I understand they are no longer included with the cabana, but when I booked (and paid), they were included. Since the bracelets will cost me $75 for my children, I'm going to see if they will include them, since they were part of the package I paid for. I think if they took away the $50 food and beverage credit, I'd feel the same way.

I'm hoping they don't give me a hard time.

I was just telling someone on my roll call that I just noticed that the hippo slide wristbands are no longer listed on my confirmation. I'm going to call them too, let me know what they tell you.

mjkacmom

Please call your travel agent or NCL rep regarding the slides that were originally included in the cabana package. I just returned from the Sky last Friday & had booked the large cabana last March & at that time slides were included & I even confirmed this with my NCL rep at the time. When my group went to the slides we were refused permission to use the slides as "it is no longer provided to cabana users free of charge". Knowing I was not about to pay the $120 charge for 6 people I demanded to see a supervisor & after talking to 2 other people. 20 min later I talked to a supervisor who all but told me I was a liar & that slides had not been included for about a year & unless I had the paperwork with me he would not let us on the slide.

Told me if I wanted to complain anymore to write a letter when I got home.

He said the main reason they changed their policy was because of Hurricane Sandy!!!

When I told my cousin who had arranged this family cruise for 18 people he was upset

& went back to talk to the supervisor & told him my cousin does not lie. I don't know what else my cousin said but he finally got permission for us to do the slide. Could be because we booked 9 cabins he gave us a break.

I have started a letter of complaint specifically because I don't want others to go thru what I did. I was totally humiliated in front of my family & others that were standing around. I will search the internet to find a copy of the description of the cabana extras for the time I originally booked. So I suggest you contact them before you go.

By the way I am 66 years old & the rest of my party were in their 40's & 50's.

The cabana at Great Stirrup Cay was the best day we had on the cruise. When I originally booked for $299 I did so mostly because the slides were included. We may not be kids but we did look forward to using the slides.

I haven't called yet, I'm planning to in the next hour or so. I found a write-up from NCL where it said the hippo slide was included. It's under reviews:

Your private cabana comes with everything you need to enjoy your stay on the Cay. Start your day with priority tender tickets, making it easy to get ashore. Bottled water and fruit await your arrival. Once you have settled in; enjoy the sea on a complementary float and all day access to the Hippo water slide. You'll also receive a $50 credit towards food and beverages while on the Cay. Note: You may have the use of the cabana for the entire day. Price listed is per cabana (not per person) and is good for up to 6 guests; therefore only one person needs to reserve the cabana. Use of the Hippo slide requires a waiver to be completed by each person staying in the cabana and will be delivered to your stateroom. Hippo water slide participants must be at least 42 inches in height.

http://reviews.ncl.com/4066/NPI_30/cabana-on-the-cay-all-day-reviews/reviews.htm

mjkacmom

Please call your travel agent or NCL rep regarding the slides that were originally included in the cabana package. I just returned from the Sky last Friday & had booked the large cabana last March & at that time slides were included & I even confirmed this with my NCL rep at the time. When my group went to the slides we were refused permission to use the slides as "it is no longer provided to cabana users free of charge". Knowing I was not about to pay the $120 charge for 6 people I demanded to see a supervisor & after talking to 2 other people. 20 min later I talked to a supervisor who all but told me I was a liar & that slides had not been included for about a year & unless I had the paperwork with me he would not let us on the slide.

He said the main reason they changed their policy was because of Hurricane Sandy!!!

When I told my cousin who had arranged this family cruise for 18 people he was upset

& went back to talk to the supervisor & told him my cousin does not lie. I don't know what else my cousin said but he finally got permission for us to do the slide. Could be because we booked 9 cabins he gave us a break.

I have started a letter of complaint specifically because I don't want others to go thru what I did. I was totally humiliated in front of my family & others that were standing around. I will search the internet to find a copy of the description of the cabana extras for the time I originally booked. So I suggest you contact them before you go.

The cabana at Great Stirrup Cay was the best day we had on the cruise. When I originally booked for $299 I did so mostly because the slides were included. We may not be kids but we did look forward to using the slides.

I too remember seeing the hippo slide included when they started selling the cabanas.

mjkacmom

Thank you for posting your experience. My plan is to go to the excursion desk and/or guest services the first day, and if I get nowhere, I'm hoping to speak to a supervisor, and talk to someone at the Meet and Greet. I booked the cabana July 2012, and at that time, the slide WAS definitely included. Actually, the fact that I only paid $249 instead of $299 shows that I booked before these changes were made.

I don't know how they can offer certain things with an excursion, and then leave them out, and expect you to pay additionally for them! ETA - I just found my invoice from when I booked the cabana in July 2012 - they should be able to find out when they stopped advertising the hippo slide as part as the excusion. I will print out what a PP posted and bring that, too.

Edited by mjkacmom

Thank you for the link describing the water slide & I will include it in my letter to NCL.

The link shows reviews dated July 2013 so they must have changed their rules after that date.

As to the cabana it was well worth it. You don't have to carry towels as they are provided in the cabana. The small fridge kept the provided bottles of water cool & the dips were replenished as needed. You also have your own shower in the back along with a large hammock. I know a lot of people had previously complained of sand flees but none of our group, 8 in the cabana & 10 on the beach chairs in front had any problems. Staff at the cabana was excellent as was the BBQ. They actually asked if we wanted them to get the BBQ & bring it to us, we did not but it is an excellent perk for anyone who has difficulty in walking. We did not receive priority tender passes in our cabin but when we stood in line to get tender tickets we were told just to go ahead to the boarding area & show the cabana ticket. We ended up staying until the next to last tender back to the ship & many in our group wished we had two there instead of having a stop at Grand Bahamas.

I called the Shore Excurision desk and they said, "yes, we've taken away the hippo slide tickets because people that book cabanas weren't using the hippo slide". :eek:

I asked if they were going to reimburse me $15 per person because when I booked this excursion in April, the hippo slide was included and now I have to pay an EXTRA $15 per person for the hippo slide wristbands.

She said there is nothing they can do about it, that I would have to take that up with the Shore Excursions desk on the ship and that I got a really good deal on the cabana at $299 because now they are $399.

We ended the call. I am not very happy that I have to take it up ON MY CRUISE with the Shore Excursion desk.

:eek:

I did not actually see any outlets but since one of the new improvements to the cabana is the adding of a small (dorm room size) refrigerator there has to be an outlet that you

can use. When the cabanas first opened they only has ice chests to keep drinks cool.

Quick question - where are the small cabanas located? I realize that they're new but I'm hoping that someone who has been to GSC very recently at least saw them under construction and can tell me where they are relative to the tender docks.

I called the Shore Excurision desk and they said, "yes, we've taken away the hippo slide tickets because people that book cabanas weren't using the hippo slide". :eek:

I asked if they were going to reimburse me $15 per person because when I booked this excursion in April, the hippo slide was included and now I have to pay an EXTRA $15 per person for the hippo slide wristbands.

She said there is nothing they can do about it, that I would have to take that up with the Shore Excursions desk on the ship and that I got a really good deal on the cabana at $299 because now they are $399.

We ended the call. I am not very happy that I have to take it up ON MY CRUISE with the Shore Excursion desk.

:eek:

What! so I have to accept that paid for something I'm not getting - but should be happy that at least I'm getting it cheaper than what it is now :confused: This is simply crazy.

Quick question - where are the small cabanas located? I realize that they're new but I'm hoping that someone who has been to GSC very recently at least saw them under construction and can tell me where they are relative to the tender docks.

ImageUploadedByForums1382391342.468222.jpg.b0e843456bd3f2e9a00ca66dba2eafe0.jpg

Here is a map. The cabanas are to the left of the buffet area, with their own beach known as Bertram's cove.

[ATTACH]290449[/ATTACH]

Here is a map. The cabanas are to the left of the buffet area, with their own beach known as Bertram's cove.

Thanks. Are you referring to the area labeled "Coming Soon - Private Cabanas"? I thought that was the location for the large cabanas. Are the small cabanas located in the same area? Or are the small cabanas located in the area labeled "Coming Soon - Expanded Beach Front"? Or are they somewhere else altogether?

Thanks. Are you referring to the area labeled "Coming Soon - Private Cabanas"? I thought that was the location for the large cabanas. Are the small cabanas located in the same area? Or are the small cabanas located in the area labeled "Coming Soon - Expanded Beach Front"? Or are they somewhere else altogether?

I'm not sure that anyone knows yet, as they were just announced. Hopefully someone soon will post a review. I'll not be there until mid November, so if not I will post a lot of info on them.

Having said that, I would presume they are close to the large cabanas, so that the wait staff can cover both.