Is the Metro and bus system safe in Barcelona

Jennkean

My husband saw a travel program about the dangers of the metro in Barcelona (pick pockets). Anyone experience any problems?

Not long back from there. Found the metro very clean and safe. However, you need to be aware, as in any city, of purses, backpacks etc. Beware if you are bumped or 'handled' even by young girls. I noticed a number of young, dare I say, gypsy looking girls on the platforms who just didn't look like they had a journey to complete. Just stare at them and they will pass you by. Ken

We traveled the metro with no problems, never felt unsafe. However, we traveled the bus from the airport to our hotel, and we were approached by a couple of young Spanish guys, one tried talking to my 14 year old daughter (the distraction) while the other one snuck around behind us and tried to open one of our bags. I instantly knew something was not right so I turned around to check on our luggage and saw the other guy knelt down trying to get into our bag. I yelled at them and they ran off. That was our only encounter with pick pockets. You have to be aware, but we never felt unsafe.

You will find more people trying to pick pocket where there are large crowds.

You do need to use extra caution with the metro and one of our friends who is a savvy traveler did have a small group of people try to take his cell phone and wallet.

Just use extra caution as you should use throughout the city and that includes not having a wallet in the back pocket, holding tight to your possessions and leaving most valuables looked in your safe.

Keith

We traveled the metro with no problems, never felt unsafe. However, we traveled the bus from the airport to our hotel, and we were approached by a couple of young Spanish guys, one tried talking to my 14 year old daughter (the distraction) while the other one snuck around behind us and tried to open one of our bags. I instantly knew something was not right so I turned around to check on our luggage and saw the other guy knelt down trying to get into our bag. I yelled at them and they ran off. That was our only encounter with pick pockets. You have to be aware, but we never felt unsafe.

For anyone caught in a similar situation, yell "Pickpocket!!" as loudly as you can. Not "help." Pickpockets are not confrontational. They'll want to extract themselves from an escalating situation quickly.

If you have situational awareness when you'll travel, you'll be able to stay out of most trouble.

For anyone caught in a similar situation, yell "Pickpocket!!" as loudly as you can. Not "help." Pickpockets are not confrontational. They'll want to extract themselves from an escalating situation quickly.

If you have situational awareness when you'll travel, you'll be able to stay out of most trouble.

We leave for BCN this weekend. One of our roll call members posted from there yesterday. They had taken a cruise before ours, then a few days in the city and then they will board our TA. [i wish I had their travel plans! :p]

They reported a roll call member visiting Montsarrat. [sp?] The man had his passport and wallet in his front pocket. He was pickpocketed. He never felt it happen.

They reported a roll call member visiting Montsarrat. [sp?] The man had his passport and wallet in his front pocket. He was pickpocketed. He never felt it happen.

We all know pickpocketing happens, so this isn't news. What is more newsworthy is that someone was walking around with his passport anywhere but in a neck wallet or the equivalent? Not good!

Although I have considerable sympathy for the aggravation this cruiser will now experience, he violated Rule #1 about what -- and how -- to deal with a passport when traveling.

Sad to say, but a small part of you must remain aware of your immediate surroundings, especially at crowded tourist sites or crowded transportation

We all know pickpocketing happens, so this isn't news. What is more newsworthy is that someone was walking around with his passport anywhere but in a neck wallet or the equivalent? Not good!

Although I have considerable sympathy for the aggravation this cruiser will now experience, he violated Rule #1 about what -- and how -- to deal with a passport when traveling.

Sad to say, but a small part of you must remain aware of your immediate surroundings, especially at crowded tourist sites or crowded transportation

I agree with your sentiment. However, I forgot to mention that the pants were cargo pants and the pocket had a button [front pocket] . So, he did think he was being a smart traveler.

But, i will wear my passport when I have to have it--or leave it in the hotel safe.

We spent several days in Barcelona following B2B cruises last spring. We used the metro system daily, were aware of our surroundings, and had no problems with pickpockets. I use a "Pacsafe" brand purse, which I had in front of my body and we left our credit cards in the hotel safe. Barcelona is a safe city where the crime against tourists is the potential of being pickpocketed -- not mugged and shot.

We've recently returned from a transatlantic cruise having spent 4 days in Barcelona prior to embarking. We took all the suggested precautions...wore very lightweight passport holders around our necks (leaving the passport in the hotel safe, of course). And nothing in our pockets. I left my purse behind as well.

We took a taxi to the hotel from the airport, didn't use public transportation. The only place we felt somewhat uncomfortable was in the Boqueria on La Rambla. Very, very crowded...a pickpocket's dream, I am sure.

We came back to Barcelona on turn around day and heard that a couple left the ship and took public transportation into the city from the port. The man had everything with him: Credit cards, passport, driver's license, and all of his cash.

GONE.

Not a very smart move on his part...to carry all those things with him. I don't know if the ship advanced him money or what...but what a predicament to bring on yourself.

We had never been on a subway in our lives and found them essential and safe and very clean. A little confusing at first. But after the first run of buying the T10 pass that you can pass off to other family members, it became easier and FUN and very efficient. We read every story and took precautions. Too extreme at first (money in my shoe, small expandable neck bag under my shirt with a shawl over it) I felt ill at ease. I later traveled with a big bag, just kept it close and tight over my shoulder and with my hand on the zipper at all times. My husband (the less street smart of us) had NOTHING in his pockets. Blend in. Don't wear white sneakers. Look confident and make eye contact. Don't flash cash or expensive gear. Don't go digging in your purse in crowded places. Have ten euro in your hand BEFORE you get into the subway to buy your ticket or a 2 euro coin for one trip token. Most American credit cards won't work in the subway.

We never had a problem, traveled with ease day and night and absolutely LOVED Barcelona.

Do be cautious. I did have one bad feeling on the subway when a group of three teens were too close and didn't move from being shoved right up against us in the subway even after seats opened up. We were seated and I motioned to my husband to get up and move up the car to other seats. They work in teams. A typical scenario would be for one to bump you, then while offering to help, their hands or another's hands are all over you. It does happen. We heard about it from not so lucky cruisers.

Along with being very aware, you have to change your accustomed manners. You have to be prepared to not be kind if approached.