Non formal nights

DJSchib

Typically what do women and men wear to the MDR on non-formal nights? Pants and blouses or skirts and tops or sundresses or capris and a top? Men basically a Docker style pant with a polo or button up shirt ?

Thx

Debbie

Typically what do women and men wear to the MDR on non-formal nights? Pants and blouses or skirts and tops or sundresses or capris and a top? Men basically a Docker style pant with a polo or button up shirt ?

Thx

Debbie

Any of these would be fine. Most cruise lines do not allow shorts, bathing suits, etc. for dinner.

I normally sail with NCL, but have sailed with 5 other lines other than NCL. On every one of my cruises, no matter what line, I have always "dressed" for dinner in a cocktail dress and then on the "formal or not" nights I have worn my long sparkly evening dresses. I do this because I enjoy dressing up (cocktail or long evening dress) and I never get a chance to except on a cruise. Most all the lines I have sailed will allow any of the things you mentioned for dinner. None of them allow swim suits or gym clothes. Men are not allowed to wear shorts. I have seen NCL and HAl turn women away wearing extremely short shorts, but all does allow nice shorts on women. No baseball caps are allowed but I have seen cowboy hats.

We are sailing on Celebrity. From what I have read, it sounds like many dress up on formal nights

If you take many dresses both long and short, how do you pack them as well as men's suit and dress shirts for optimal room for other clothes?

I also wear a cocktail length dress and high heels for dinner (long gown for formal night). I personally would only wear a sundress on a trip ashore etc. but you do see them in the MDR and it's much better and smarter looking than capris or shorts imo. Trousers are also fine. My OH wears a dress shirt and dress pants on regular nights and a suit on formal. (I could get him into a tux if it was Cunard etc.).

I do think I should have been born in the Downton Abbey era where one dressed for dinner and wore nice clothes all the time, as any excuse to dress up works for me:D

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Many women wear pants and capris, but I usually wear a skirt and blouse or a dress I would wear to work. This is easiest for me because I can choose form my work wardrobe and don't have to buy anything special. Sometimes I will wear a skirt during the day & just use a dressier top for dinner.

My husband wears dress pants with a button down shirt--pretty much his work uniform, but he will sometimes wear polos, so he doesn't have to bring too many dress shirts.

Also, dress clothes can be re-worn since you don't wear them for long. My husband will use the shirt he wears with a suit for formal night on a another night without a tie and then wear one of the polos again during the day. (Use it for dinner first, so it isn't sweaty for the 2nd use.)

For packing, he always wears his suit jacket on the plane. Looks a little silly with his sneakers, but he swears it is the best way to keep it from wrinkling.

We are sailing on Celebrity. From what I have read, it sounds like many dress up on formal nights

If you take many dresses both long and short, how do you pack them as well as men's suit and dress shirts for optimal room for other clothes?

Celebrity is my line of choice. I wear a dress every single night. My last cruise (12 nights) I think I packed 15 dresses!

How I tend to pack dresses- I put them in last, on top of the stacks of pants, tops, pajamas, etc. The short ones I usually do one fold in half (if that makes sense) and the longer ones usually 2 folds. I lay plastic dry cleaning bags (or trash bags if I ran out) between each layer. Some dresses I have in the dry cleaning bag. That is the secret to no wrinkles.

I bring 2-3 floor length gowns (old prom and homecoming dresses, bridesmaid etc.). I put those in the garment bag with his suits. I do not know how he folded his shirts, sorry. He puts his suits in the garment bag.

Also to save on weight, I put all my shoes (I also have a shoe problem) and heavy items like blow dryer, in my carry-on rolling suitcase. I bring 1 giant checked bag, 1 rolling carry-on, and a back pack as my "personal" item when flying.

Here are some examples of my dresses I wore on Celebrity (you might have to scroll on some):

Non-formal nights:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35502431&postcount=86

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35529975&postcount=116

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35677254&postcount=166

Formal nights:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35784614&postcount=194

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35523893&postcount=99

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35215276&postcount=38

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

I have picked up several things for the casual nights but I have my eye out for more mix and match items.

I have to start thinking about the formal nights now. For some reason I can't wrap my head around wearing long sparkly dresses but being new to cruising that's why. I have a couple I could wear from my sons weddings but wish they were black vs colors. Think I would be more comfortable wearing black in either short or long. I don't dress up for my job so dressing up is a big thing. Even our church you can wear jeans.

Thanks for your input

Formal or informal, I always will be wearing either a floor length dress or skirt. On informal nights, it's typically a fancy sun dress that has sequins on the pattern. I love dressing up because my normal work wear is jeans and t-shirts. Archaeologists don't dress up. :)

My husband normally wears khakis and a polo shirt or dress slacks and a open collared shirt on non-formal nights. If we are going to a specialty restaurant, he might add a sport coat. I typically go with slacks or skirt. I normally take a few nice and fun tops that will all go with a nice pair of black slacks or skirt, then add great heels and a clutch purse and some fun jewelry (leave the good stuff at home.) For formal nights, I normally stick with a nice cocktail dress, street or tea length. Even though my husband owns a tux, he refuses to take it on a cruise. He either adds a tie to the sport coat or wears a suit. We have always felt very appropriately dressed. Don't forget a shawl or sweater. It can get chilly in the dining rooms and entertainment venues. I pack a couple of nice shawls that match my outfits. Every cruise I see some women covering up that lovely new dress they bought just for the cruise with a dumpy hoody because they're freezing or just plain freezing!

Guess I should look for a shawl. I have never had one before. Sure hope spring clothes come out before we leave. Clearance racks have zippo for my husband and he could use some

polos

If you can't find a shawl, they will probably sell them on the ship. I keep one at work to use in the summer when the air is on.

If I could make a couple of suggestions. The WHite/Black store is one of my go-to stores for cruise apparel. They always (no matter the season) have a nice selection of sweaters that can be worn over a cami. The sweaters are a nice weight for the air conditioned ship and the cami let's you shed the sweater if you go on deck. It's also a good source for the little black dress and they have a nice selection of jewelry that let's you dress it up or down and still look unique. And be sure to check out the sale rack. Great place to pick up some cute extras without breaking the bank. And you're buying something that you will actually wear once you get back home.

Don't forget to check online. Virtually all chain stores have online stores and now is when you will find their summer things on sale. Works for hubby, too. Mine was actually on Amazon today buying a few things he will need for our cruise in a few weeks. Speaking of online, don't forget ebay. I have bought a couple of stunning cocktail/evening dresses on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Some with the tags still on them.

And don't be afraid of checking out consignment shops. If you are in a large metro area, look for shops that are in more high end residential areas. This is a great place to buy evening apparel. If you are splurging a bit, look for a classic style that will still work on the next cruise.

My goal is to look like I spent a million bucks but do it on a budget.

I also sail Celebrity. I tend to have a dress for each night and one spare. In case I can't get into a dress because of overeating . We usually do 10-14 night cruises and for the 1st I packed separates - they took up too much room and looked squashed. Now I have a collection of little simple jersey stretch dresses in various styles that fold neatly into medium freezer bags. A dozen or so fit easily into the case.

With celebrity I find where you cruise can make a difference in what you wear. I dress up more in the Med and dress casual in the Caribbean.

I am sure your clothes will be more than suitable but understand your concern, I packed everything but the kitchen sink for my first cruise.

Cheers, h

Edited by middlehaitch

• 4 weeks later...

raher dinner trousers.......jaguar print @ CHICOS.......goes great with my new leather biker jacket with princess seaming, blk, gold or cream cami, my self made hunky jewelry.......Silver denim Chico jeans....have a 5 yr old silver mini knit tank sweater will wear black knit swing coat, or colourful kimono top from CHICOS......and tah daaah...Reba GOLD denim jeans..also same sweater tank goes perfect.....and 2/new fine knit animal print w/silver/gold threads...one is 50 shades of greys, the other..blacks browns w/amber......and can wear those with carwash pants.........very suitable for DR, and not a jeans looking pant..so very welcomed in the DR.....dressed up, but not formal!..gotta get busy making new jewels to go with all!!!!!

If I could make a couple of suggestions. The WHite/Black store is one of my go-to stores for cruise apparel. They always (no matter the season) have a nice selection of sweaters that can be worn over a cami. The sweaters are a nice weight for the air conditioned ship and the cami let's you shed the sweater if you go on deck. It's also a good source for the little black dress and they have a nice selection of jewelry that let's you dress it up or down and still look unique. And be sure to check out the sale rack. Great place to pick up some cute extras without breaking the bank. And you're buying something that you will actually wear once you get back home.

Don't forget to check online. Virtually all chain stores have online stores and now is when you will find their summer things on sale. Works for hubby, too. Mine was actually on Amazon today buying a few things he will need for our cruise in a few weeks. Speaking of online, don't forget ebay. I have bought a couple of stunning cocktail/evening dresses on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Some with the tags still on them.

And don't be afraid of checking out consignment shops. If you are in a large metro area, look for shops that are in more high end residential areas. This is a great place to buy evening apparel. If you are splurging a bit, look for a classic style that will still work on the next cruise.

My goal is to look like I spent a million bucks but do it on a budget.

BBM

Thanks for these suggestions!