Alcohol Policy Princess

thommo119

Yes, but.....

A 375ml bottle of Rum gifted to yourself and waiting for you on board costs $17. Bombay Sapphire Gin costs $22. Using 1.5 ounces as the standard drink size, you would get roughly 12 drinks per 375ml bottle. For the rum, that comes out to $1.40 per drink (with no need to tip yourself. :D) For the Gin, that comes out to $1.83 per drink.

If you smuggle those same bottles (or the contents thereof) on board, first you have to buy them. The rum would cost around $8 and the gin would cost around $13. So your do-it-yourself drinks would cost you $0.66 and $1.08 respectively. And that does not add in the cost of whatever stealth device one had to by to get the liquid on board the ship. Are the risks associated with smuggling liquor on board really worth the savings achieved by driving down the price of a drink from $1.40-$1.83 to $0.66-$1.08? I can understand the desire of folks to bypass $8.00 drinks. But isn't the solution to gift yourself a bottle or two? It's not as if the smuggled-on liquor was free.

I definitely agree with you in principal, but your arithmetic is a bit off. 375ML equals about 13 ounces (12.68 to be exact) which works out to about 8.5 drinks assuming a 1.5 ounce pour. This makes the gin drink cost $2.60, still a far cry from the $ 8 charged on the ship.

John

We just cruised on the Golden at the end of Sept.

4 day California coastal.

For "testing purposes" we brought liquor in our checked bags, using three different methods.

They all made it through. :D

As others have said, they have to scan over 4,000 pieces of luggage, and then get it to your cabin, within a 4 hour time frame, (or less)

They definitely aren't going to catch everything.

PS - We also purchased the all inclusive drink package on board.

Hey, I work hard, I'm gonna play hard.

:cool:

IMHO, I think if you both purchase the AIDP you should be able to bring whatever liquor you want onboard as long as it is consumed in your cabin so you can't share.

On the Grand presently.....Thought security screen identify my four bottles and said to check in with Princess table (which was 500 feet away), I just rolled carry-on right by.

If you were leaving a store, would you just walk past the cash

register if you could get away with it?

How is what you did any different?

IMHO, I think if you both purchase the AIDP you should be able to bring whatever liquor you want onboard as long as it is consumed in your cabin so you can't share.

Yes, at $56.35 per person, per day.......

..and the fact that you can't just purchase it for a day, but you have to purchase it for every day of the cruise....

Total of $450.80

You damn right I'm bringing everything I can on board.....(and we kept it for ourselves) :D

No sign of Thom eh?:eek:

So your bar tab is usually healthy you say? Doubtful.:rolleyes:

How many threads will we have on this subject? The world may never know!:D:p

What's funny is that according to his profile:

Last Activity: October 23rd, 2013 04:45 PM

And funny, because my local time is 4:15PM right now.

Exactly who is getting something stolen from them?

Please elaborate.

OOOOOHHHH I know the answer about to come out... "we're all stolen from as it is booze profit that keeps the cruise prices SO cheap."

That's the old chestnut thrown out right? :rolleyes:

Wait, will it be the "the shareholders won't make as much $"?

Whichever is used these threads always end up with sides drawn up and both sides KNOW the other is wrong.

FWIW I am a bad boy too. The only booze I drink, when I drink, is Absinthe, which I've never seen on board any ship and I slip it on in my luggage.

I guess that is a good thing as any non-vomit inducing Absinthe is at least $50, if it was sold on board it would be at least 2.5Xs that price (as that's the mark up I see compared to our liquor store prices) and it would be the nasty stuff that tastes like it was filtered through a dirty diaper and a filthy litter box.

How do you gift yourself a bottle of rum? I need some details

The Gifts & Services form is located HERE

The rum that is available is:

Rum:

Bacardi White (375ml bottle)

Item #2357 – $17

Cruzan Coconut Rum

(375ml bottle)

Item #2358 – $17

Call Princess at 1-800-774-6237 and order by specific item number

Edited by Thrak

The Gifts & Services form is located HERE

The rum that is available is:

Rum:

Bacardi White (375ml bottle)

Item #2357 – $17

Cruzan Coconut Rum

(375ml bottle)

Item #2358 – $17

Call Princess at 1-800-774-6237 and order by specific item number

I'm just curious. Did they have Disaronno available....and at what price?

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

I'm just curious. Did they have Disaronno available....and at what price?

Nope. There is a very limited selection available to order for your room. Check the link in my post above and you will find the pdf file that lists what is available.

They do offer Amaretto onboard in the bar for $5.75 and it may well be your brand. I've never ordered it and haven't noticed what is available in the bar. I took the price from the Princess Beverage Package Evaluator spreadsheet posted by another user.

Edited by Thrak

What's funny is that according to his profile:

Last Activity: October 23rd' date=' 2013 04:45 PM

And funny, because my local time is 4:15PM right now.[/quote']

Another old thread (2013) brought back to life.

OOOOOHHHH I know the answer about to come out... "we're all stolen from as it is booze profit that keeps the cruise prices SO cheap."

That's the old chestnut thrown out right? :rolleyes:

Wait, will it be the "the shareholders won't make as much $"?

Whichever is used these threads always end up with sides drawn up and both sides KNOW the other is wrong.

Actually, only one side is right and the other side rationalizes. When a business entity sets a rule that certain items cannot be brought on to the premises and must be purchased on site and one sneaks in a prohibited item, that person is breaking the rule and denying the business owner a profit that he counts on to keep his business model successful. The total profit may be small and you may not agree with the rule to begin with. But that does not alter how one describes the behavior or the fact that a profit opportunity has been lost. This is not a situation where "reasonable minds may differ" or where opinions can vary. When you go to a Multi-plex and pay for a single movie but slip into a second theater after the movie you paid for is over and sneak your own popcorn past the sign that says "No outside food", you are breaking rules and depriving the theater of the profit that would have been realized from the purchase of a second ticket and from the bucket of popcorn. Walking through security with hidden liquor and unpaid wine bottles is no different. Just because CCL is a big corporation doesn't convert the behavior into "accepted". There really is no wiggle room for debate on that point. Just rationalizing.

Those were the "good old days".:D Times have changed obviously.

Actually, the good old days were when ship travel had the benefit of offering alcoholic drinks and wine for much less than it cost to buy them on land (that ended about 50/60 years ago at a time when most ship travel was international and long distance).

I don't think that the restrictive cruise line rules regarding carry-on has much to do drunken behavior - just the bottom line. I was apprehensive when I sailed on Silversea because all alcoholic beverages were included and I was concerned about appropriate behavior by passengers. I never saw any instance of rude or loud behavior. On the contrary, the passengers were all a model of decorum. Maybe when the candy is free you aren't as compelled to eat as much.

Actually, the good old days were when ship travel had the benefit of offering alcoholic drinks and wine for much less than it cost to buy them on land (that ended about 50/60 years ago at a time when most ship travel was international and long distance).

I don't think that the restrictive cruise line rules regarding carry-on has much to do drunken behavior - just the bottom line. I was apprehensive when I sailed on Silversea because all alcoholic beverages were included and I was concerned about appropriate behavior by passengers. I never saw any instance of rude or loud behavior. On the contrary, the passengers were all a model of decorum. Maybe when the candy is free you aren't as compelled to eat as much.

Maybe the drunken clods can't afford to cruise those lines... :rolleyes: