Cab fare from everglades to FLL?

Queen of Oakville

Just got off Oasis on Saturday. I'm 99.99% positive from watching the debarkation channel that the cab far was supposed to be around $8 to $10.

When the cab pulled up to the airport the meter showed $12.90. More than we were expecting - but no problem - we were prepared to pay this plus tip.

My hubby went to pay the fare, but the cabby said "flat rate $20.00".

Did the cabby pull a fast one on us - or is there a flat rate?

That's why you always ask the fare before you get in the cab.

Yeah, but he still would have said $20 flat rate and probably taken a whole lot of other customers that day. Shame. :(

EDITED to add: However, there are hundreds of threads about this on the Florida Departures board. We always try to research every part of our trip, right down to the cab rides. :)

Just got off Oasis on Saturday. I'm 99.99% positive from watching the debarkation channel that the cab far was supposed to be around $8 to $10.

When the cab pulled up to the airport the meter showed $12.90. More than we were expecting - but no problem - we were prepared to pay this plus tip.

My hubby went to pay the fare, but the cabby said "flat rate $20.00".

Did the cabby pull a fast one on us - or is there a flat rate?

Any chance that you were so suspicious that you took a phone picture of his ID?

I would have argued it.. But sometimes its best not to argue over a few bucks. I wouldnt worry about it there is always Karma... ;)

I should have just took a Taxi too.. its alot better than waiting for that stupid shuttle service we pay for and the drivers whine and beg for tips the whole time.. I dont like that.. My golden rule with them drivers is i will give them a few bucks for a tip long as they dont ask and if they do ask then no tip.. Am I mean ?

No pictures. I saw the meter read 12.90 and then got out and was on the sidewalk with my kids and the carry ones, while hubby helped unload our luggage. I gathered the cash and gave it to my hubby who went to pay the guy when he pulled the "flat rate".

It was just a few extra dollars, but I wanted to know for sure if I was "taken for ride".

there is definitely merit in doing your homework before, and I fell short on this trip. For the cab ride in - we wanted to stop at the Total Wine. I failed to get the address and have it ready before leaving. I told the cab dispatcher at the airport that I wanted to go to the Total Wine near the port and asked if there was a CVS in the same plaza. She said YES and told me to ask for Oakwood Plaza. So the Cabby took me to Oakwood Plaza. Unfortunately for me, there was no Total Wine in Oakwood Plaza - it is (I now know) in the Harbour Shops plaza. We drove and drove, and we get to the plaza and the cabby can't find total wine or CVS. He asks if Kmart will do? Not having my bearings, I just ran into Kmart to get what I needed. Kmart is the WORST place to shop with a cab meter running. I raced through and grabbed everything I needed - water, benedryl and wine in less than two minutes .... I then spent forever trying to find a cashier who wasn't going on a break. The customer in front of me had every conceivable delay with their purchase.

$60.00 later we made it to the port.

lol lesson learned - next time I do my homework before we leave.

It should have been $15.00 inc tip..that's what we just payed 2 weeks ago for PE-FLL...On the other hand the driver we had for (our arrival) FLL to the Thrifty Car rental location just outside the PE gate, tried to tell us there was an additional $2.00 sur-charge for that particular trip....We told him "No there isn't"...he didn't argue..but I was prepared to if necessary...This wan't our first taxi ride after many cruises out of Fort Lauderdale...So sorry you got one of the few dishonest drivers..like we did.

I always think of the fare in the $15 range or just a tad less. But I am thinking that there is a "flat rate" option in FLL but that should have been discussed up front. Another little trick of the cabbies is to turn on their meter at PE while loading luggage...if one of the deputies sees this they will be told to turn the meter off....on one occasion neither we or the deputy noticed it, I argued with the driver, he refused to reset the meter so he got no tip and was told why.:mad:

Archived