Disembarkation delays at LA port

at-c

Just finished a 3-day Golden Princess cruise today and waited forever for disembarkation at San Pedro.

Not sure if this is usual these days, since the government shutdown.

We arrived in port at the normal time, around 6:30 am. The boat was moored and went to breakfast, and then vacated the cabin. I had booked a ride to the airport for 9:15 thinking this would give plenty of time. I also noticed that the Star Princess had arrived at about the same time.

I was scheduled for Walkoff 1, which was hand-carry luggage, which was planned to depart at 7:30.

There were several announcements that Customs and Border patrol was short handed with only 4 agents so they could not process this ship. These announcements went to about 10:00. Then at about 11:00, people started to line up for disembarkation, even though there were no announcements. There was one last announcement that said that some additional agents were coming over, for a total of 8.

At 11:45, the line started moving. There were no announcements from Princess.

Finally got through the debarkation line and through Customs at about 12:00, trying to make it to a flight at LAX at 1:00pm. (I thought I had plenty of time to make this flight!!!) The driver told me that there have been consistent delays, because of Customs. He has noticed 2-3 hour delays for international arrivals at LAX, as well as at the San Pedro port.

I have a feeling that it was processing two ships for arrival today. I also think Princess could have done a better job keeping the delayed debarkation in better order. I was off the ship and there were still no announcements that the clearance had been given. Others obviously waited politely in the lounges, waiting for announcements which were certainly delayed, or never even made.

In the end, with some luck, I did get onto the plane, but literally, walking up, and they closed the plane door behind me. Any other delay and it would not have worked. It only worked because of the limo that I booked, having airline priority status to get through TSA screening, having only carryon luggage, and knowing where the gate was. Any other small glitch and it would not have worked.

So, take the above in consideration when booking departures after your cruise.

Interesting story. We were on the Island arriving in port everglades during the government shutdown. We were the only ship in port that Thursday. We were suppose to get off the ship with the 8:45 group. We finally were allowed to leave the ship at 10:15! When we got to the terminal and immigration, we found out why. There were three ICE agents for the US pax and 3 for the non-US pax. We had a lot of Canadians aboard that had boarded in Vancouver, BC. They were very slow carefully checking every document. We finally were on the street a 11:30. We were in the middle of the departure times so quite a few were still on the ship waiting to leave. The Island carries a little over 1900 pax so I can imagine what the delays pax on the Ruby/Emerald would see.

I don't know if it was because of the shutdown or what but prior times disembarking at port everglades with several ships in port has been a lot faster.

CBP is notoriously bad at LA. Has been for YEARS. Seems like they have only gotten worse, especially for the short 3-4 day cruises. And, their delays are for reasons that don't always make sense to the cruise ship's crew either.

Last January, the delay for allowing passengers to board was because CBP wanted to clear out the entire exiting passenger area before allowing new passengers to board. That's not normal procedure from what the ship's officers told me, but on that day, CBP decided that's what they wanted to do. Perhaps they had their reasons, but it has always seemed to me that the CBP at the Port of LA have been on their own rogue program. They'll do what they want, when they want, and there's nothing you or the cruise line can do to change it. :rolleyes:

We completed a recent 7-night California Coastal cruise on the Sapphire Princess out of San Pedro. (Oct. 5-12) during the Government shutdown. We experienced no delays at all and in fact, all pax's disembarked earlier than the times noted in the disembarkation handout. It was smooth sailing right through customs. From the time we scanned our card leaving the ship to the time we boarded our Princess transfer to LAX, it was a total of 30 minutes, max. Every thing was so organized. Kudos to all involved!

We've have never had problems out of LA related to CBP in over 40 cruises there. But this is (at least) the 2nd time since Golden started running that disembarkation was delayed, and it's beginning to look like this is occurring when 2 ships are in port. We disembarked Golden on October 7th, and people were already on the street at 730am. There were 4 agents handling things on our departure, so it's beginning to look like they cleared Star Princess first and made people on Golden wait.

Looks like November 24th will be the next time 2 ships are in at the same time. I know a number of people sailing that trip, and will ask them to keep an eye on things to validate this observation.

That's odd that you were not able to get off until that late today. I also disembarked this morning and when I walked by the gangway on the way to the designated lounge area at 8:30 we were told the 9:00 passengers were getting off and that we could join the next group. Was through immigration by 9 and at work by 9:30.

Just finished a 3-day Golden Princess cruise today and waited forever for disembarkation at San Pedro.

Todays delay had nothing to do with the government shutdown. The government is up and running. Not positive but I think this may have been due to the Star also being in port at the same time.

Sounds like we left the Golden around the same time today!

Others obviously waited politely in the lounges, waiting for announcements which were certainly delayed, or never even made.

We were waiting in the Princess Theater. We were told that there were not enough agents and that the line was so long that they stopped disembarkation until they had a chance to clear out some of the people waiting. Once Princess was given the ok, we were told we could line up to leave.

In the end, with some luck, I did get onto the plane, but literally, walking up, and they closed the plane door behind me.

I'm glad you were able to make it in time for your flight!

That's odd that you were not able to get off until that late today. I also disembarked this morning and when I walked by the gangway on the way to the designated lounge area at 8:30 we were told the 9:00 passengers were getting off and that we could join the next group. Was through immigration by 9 and at work by 9:30.

The line was shut down right after you left.

We've been on 8 cruises out of San Pedro between 1994 and last December and it seems like there's been several variations on a theme, including often the number of ships ranging from one to three. Since we live within driving distance, we don't try to get the earliest time.

A few cruises ago, there was just us on the Island and the Monarch in port that day, and the customs and immigration process started way late. Last couple of cruises we were off the ship around 9:30am or so (this included in January 2011 when we were on the Golden, but the Sapphire and a Crystal ship were in port with us -- so clearly a bigger number of ships and passengers).

You just don't know when you'll be off the ship. But you also don't know if the 405 traffic will be bumper-to-bumper, even on the weekend (and it will be crazy on weekday mornings, as I know all too well from many years of commuting on it). That's why we natives recommend flights after noon, but in the OP's case, that still wouldn't have helped.

Then at about 11:00, people started to line up for disembarkation, even though there were no announcements. There was one last announcement that said that some additional agents were coming over, for a total of 8.

Princess does "silent" disembarkation which means the only place you will hear the announcement for you to leave is the meeting place your group has been told to be. A crew member will come into the lounge and announce that it is time to leave. People in another lounge will be given no information until it is their time. That's probably why you saw people lined up and the line moving without "hearing" the announcement.

Does this mean that the passengers on the next cruise are delaying in boarding? What times are passengers being allowed to board recently in San Pedro?

I wondered the same thing after getting off the Sapphire at about 11:00 a.m. at the end of our October 12-19th Calif Coastal cruise. There were still at least 6 groups left to be called for disembarking after us and it took us about 30 minutes to get through customs after we got off the ship. When we returned to the Marriott LAX for our post cruise stay there was a very large group waiting to for the transfer to the ship. They finally started loading the bus at about 1:00, so I don't think they boarded too much later than we had for our cruise. I am sure the long disembarkation pressed the staff tasked with cleaning the public areas to be ready for the lucky passengers boarding for the 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.

BTW - I thought the staff on the ship and the Princess ground staff did a good job of keeping things moving as rapidly as they could given the constraints they were working under. We had purchased a transfer back to the Marriott and apparently they had pressed that bus into service, so when we finally got off and collected our luggage, ground staff put us in a taxi to the hotel. Everyone was very professional and I, at least, did not witness any passengers getting irate with the staff (nice change, as there is usually at least one or two).

Mom is on the Golden right now. She had to wait 3 hours to board and ship was late leaving port. As long as I am on vacation and not work its all good. Can't wait to set sail. Cheers :D

Does this mean that the passengers on the next cruise are delaying in boarding? What times are passengers being allowed to board recently in San Pedro?

Melody

This was posted on our Roll Call.

So the answer to your question is yes.

There were 2 ships in port last Monday when cruznfun's mother boarded and the people from the last cruise got off late.

Princess does "silent" disembarkation which means the only place you will hear the announcement for you to leave is the meeting place your group has been told to be. A crew member will come into the lounge and announce that it is time to leave. People in another lounge will be given no information until it is their time. That's probably why you saw people lined up and the line moving without "hearing" the announcement.

That was part of the problem. I was in group 1, walkoff with my handcarry luggage, and was originally slated for 7:30 am disembark. I was in my designated waiting lounge, the elite and suites, and specifically asked the crew member if there were any disembark announcements yet. The reply was that they were not ready and he would make an announcement. It was only when I looked out a window and saw some folks crossing the gangway that I ventured out and got into a line to debark. But, from the prior post, that line was halted rather quickly.

my family just got off the CA Costal on Sapphire on 10/19. San Pedro was covered on fog. We were in the Pink 1 group with a meeting time of 825 in the Explorers Lounge. There was a line to get through customs but we were on the bus waiting to leave for LAX by 930am.......

Kudos to all involved.....

We arrived in port at the normal time, around 6:30 am. The boat was moored and went to breakfast, and then vacated the cabin. I had booked a ride to the airport for 9:15 thinking this would give plenty of time. I also noticed that the Star Princess had arrived at about the same time.

I was scheduled for Walkoff 1, which was hand-carry luggage, which was planned to depart at 7:30.

There were several announcements that Customs and Border patrol was short handed with only 4 agents so they could not process this ship. These announcements went to about 10:00. Then at about 11:00, people started to line up for disembarkation, even though there were no announcements. There was one last announcement that said that some additional agents were coming over, for a total of 8.

Finally got through the debarkation line and through Customs at about 12:00, trying to make it to a flight at LAX at 1:00pm. (I thought I had plenty of time to make this flight!!!) The driver told me that there have been consistent delays, because of Customs. He has noticed 2-3 hour delays for international arrivals at LAX, as well as at the San Pedro port.

I have a feeling that it was processing two ships for arrival today. I also think Princess could have done a better job keeping the delayed debarkation in better order. I was off the ship and there were still no announcements that the clearance had been given. Others obviously waited politely in the lounges, waiting for announcements which were certainly delayed, or never even made.

In the end, with some luck, I did get onto the plane, but literally, walking up, and they closed the plane door behind me. Any other delay and it would not have worked. It only worked because of the limo that I booked, having airline priority status to get through TSA screening, having only carryon luggage, and knowing where the gate was. Any other small glitch and it would not have worked.

So, take the above in consideration when booking departures after your cruise.

I would second this. Disembarkation at LA should be flagged. We just arrived home from Norwegian Star (Miami through Panama Canal with stops along the way in Colombia, Costa Rica and Mexico). The Star seemed organized. We watched the last of the luggage taken off the ship before scheduled time to debark. Then the wait. Norwegian had stressed the day before that they were at the mercy of the Customs&Immigration folks and the delay did seem to come from them. We were regularly told that there were delays and it was out of the cruise line's control, but people had booked flights, shuttles, taxis etc and the logic of their scheduled debarkation times disintegrated, as did their patience. When the agents started the processing, everything was very quick and cursory but why it took them so long to get started was a mystery.

I would suggest that cruise lines and travel agents start advising passengers at booking to plan for at least 3-4 hour delay in getting off the boat, onto the pier, before any booked activity/transportation etc. Also, giving that advice to everyone when they get on board and prepare for arrival...all points at which you can still do things to change any arrangements you may have made (isn't the internet a wonderful thing!).

jrd8000

We boarded that day and something was up as they held us in the lounge and did not start boarding until about 1:30. They said they were searching for a passenger thus the delay. I figured that was a ruse excuse for what ever the real problem.

We were fortunate to have platinum & preferred boarding so a quick boarding once it started, a nightmare for the rest of the passengers.

We went straight to the buffet after dropping our carry on in the cabin.

At 3:00PM we checked back and the line for the buffet was out the door and past the pool. Hungry, tired passengers who must have been really p'd when they announced the life boat drill at 3:30pm.

Disembarkation went smooth for Americans but for foreigners including Canadians it was slow.

We have Nexus but Customs did not care and they wasted about 5 minutes processing us. Nexus supplies US customs with a retina scan and our finger prints, seemed even with that they were not sure who we were.

They were finger printing all the visible minorities.

Really strange as Canadian usually get to pass through with Americans.

Second that- just got off the 4 day Golden Princess. Had a 8:30 walk-off time, got to the lounge at 8:15, walked off at 8:20, in the front door at home by 9:30! Very organized, very fast moving. We got to San Pedro about 11am, and was in the dining room ordering lunch at 12:30.

Thanks for the update on the disembarkation experience in San Pedro. It seems like the prior issues were exacerbated by government slowdown and a couple of ships in port. We are headed out on the November 4th sailing of the Golden, and would appreciate any comments from those passengers who are disembarking that day as to the status and delays if any so that I can better plan my arrival.

I would second this. Disembarkation at LA should be flagged. We just arrived home from Norwegian Star (Miami through Panama Canal with stops along the way in Colombia, Costa Rica and Mexico). The Star seemed organized. We watched the last of the luggage taken off the ship before scheduled time to debark. Then the wait. Norwegian had stressed the day before that they were at the mercy of the Customs&Immigration folks and the delay did seem to come from them. We were regularly told that there were delays and it was out of the cruise line's control, but people had booked flights, shuttles, taxis etc and the logic of their scheduled debarkation times disintegrated, as did their patience. When the agents started the processing, everything was very quick and cursory but why it took them so long to get started was a mystery.

I would suggest that cruise lines and travel agents start advising passengers at booking to plan for at least 3-4 hour delay in getting off the boat, onto the pier, before any booked activity/transportation etc. Also, giving that advice to everyone when they get on board and prepare for arrival...all points at which you can still do things to change any arrangements you may have made (isn't the internet a wonderful thing!).

jrd8000

Actually the cruise lines have stated that they don't recommend flights booked out of LAX prior to 1pm. And any good TA will also advise their clients, especially those booking their first cruise to fly in at least a day ahead and have a late morning/early afternoon (at the earliest) flight going back home. You don't know ahead of time when you'll have a flight delay going to LA (or anywhere else, for that matter) and you won't know when you'll be delayed getting off the ship on disembarkation day.

We were on the 10/5 Sapphire Coastal. Only delay in getting on board were for those who were taken aside if the were declaring Alcohol they were bringing onboard. Although wer had multiple bottles in our bags were just passed by the line, not really sure til later when we heard all the angry folks who were delayed 20-3o min while the gestopo checked and marked carryon wine etc.:mad:

Archived