Sanctuary on Royal - a few questions

SeaCBear

I'm just looking for some clarification re the Sanctuary on the Royal Princess. I know (I think) that you can either book for an entire week immediately upon boarding, or you can book a 1/2 day or full day on any given day (perhaps, if you're in line early enough!). And I think a 1/2 day is $15 and a full day is $25.

1. So, is a full week booking 7 x $25? Or is there any discount for booking a full week?

2. And if you do book a full week, are you able to choose which lounger you want? Do you get the same lounger all week?

3. And finally, I believe there are staff to take orders for food and drink - is there a specific menu for the Sanctuary?

Thanks for any replies!

Assuming it operates the same as all others...

No discount, Yes you choose and there is a menu (don't have a scan handy), plus they will get things like milkshakes..

I'm just looking for some clarification re the Sanctuary on the Royal Princess. I know (I think) that you can either book for an entire week immediately upon boarding, or you can book a 1/2 day or full day on any given day (perhaps, if you're in line early enough!). And I think a 1/2 day is $15 and a full day is $25.

1. So, is a full week booking 7 x $25? Or is there any discount for booking a full week?
  2. And if you do book a full week, are you able to choose which lounger you want? Do you get the same lounger all week?
  3. And finally, I believe there are staff to take orders for food and drink - is there a specific menu for the Sanctuary?

Thanks for any replies!

Thanks for any replies!

There have been posts from the Royal that the cost is $20/day if you book for the full cruise. Assuming it is the same as other ships, you select a specific lounge chair for the entire cruise.

They weren't going to do that initially but its good if they do..

There have been posts from the Royal that the cost is $20/day if you book for the full cruise. Assuming it is the same as other ships, you select a specific lounge chair for the entire cruise.

Thanks for any replies!

Discount £20 per day for full cruise

Yes you do keep your lounger but have to leave the area during the staff lunch break although some crew don't mind Pong is on the Royal at the moment and he doesn't mind

Yes you can order food there is a surcharge, the menu is nice, they will also bring you pizza burger etc.

Also they serve afternoon tea :D

Hope this helps

Discount £20 per day for full cruise

Yes you do keep your lounger but have to leave the area during the staff lunch break although some crew don't mind Pong is on the Royal at the moment and he doesn't mind

Yes you can order food there is a surcharge, the menu is nice, they will also bring you pizza burger etc.

Also they serve afternoon tea :D

Hope this helps

We haven't been on the Royal, but in the Sanctuary on the Coral they also served afternoon tea. In addition they had access to a coffee machine and we were offered complementary fresh brewed coffee and pastries in the morning. Did they do that on the Royal also?

What? you have to leave the Sanctuary during lunch? is this just on the Royal, I've never heard of that.

We haven't been on the Royal, but in the Sanctuary on the Coral they also served afternoon tea. In addition they had access to a coffee machine and we were offered complementary fresh brewed coffee and pastries in the morning. Did they do that on the Royal also?

The coffee machine only seems to be on the Coral and the Island.

What? you have to leave the Sanctuary during lunch? is this just on the Royal, I've never heard of that.

NEVER had to leave during lunch!

Sorry caused confusion

You aren't ordered out lol but the staff have a lunch break and tidy ready for the afternoon session there is a sign at the entrance which states the opening times and clearly says closed between 12:00 - 13:00 (I think those are the times).

We were once asked if we were leaving as they were about to go for their lunch but not ordered out.

Pong is currently on the Royal and will be until Christmas he was on the Grand and Emerald last year and is very very nice, we were lucky enough to be invited to the launch ceremony in June and saw him then, we haven't sailed the Royal yet but will be on Nov 10 sailing

Sorry for the confusion

Even if they are officially 'closed' theres often one steward around keeping an eye on things, its more a matter of not being able to get food orders or drinks, etc.

And of course, if you booked a half day you WILL need to leave before the break...

Even if they are officially 'closed' theres often one steward around keeping an eye on things, its more a matter of not being able to get food orders or drinks, etc.

And of course, if you booked a half day you WILL need to leave before the break...

Think it may be like other things there are rules which are only really implemented by some staff . I wouldn't know about the half day rules we have always been lucky enough to get the full cruise, early boarding is a blessing as they only sell half the beds for the full cruise. I understand from someone on our roll call there are lots of elite on the our sailing so we will have to be extra early unlike the diamond in Jan there were only 250 of us.

Sailed the Royal in July and booked a cabana for the day. We were never asked to leave at lunchtime, maybe this just applies to loungers? Seems odd that you would have to pay a premium and then asked to leave?

Anyway, they sell out fast--- loungers went first, especially during sea days. We got on at 12 and the only thing left were cabanas in port for a med cruise. Made the mistake of thinking since we were in a suite, concierge could reserve. Had to go up IP- first come first serve. By the time we got up around 2, huge line and many disappointed folks. So if you really want to get in, go early!

It's lovely, though, and would highly recommend!

how much are the cabanas with the tvs, or are they reserved for the best cabins?

is there any chance of the later boarders, to get even a pool side cabana reservation?

would you book a lounger for the whole week, just to make sure you have one? but you won't be using it on port days....... or just run up at 6 am to try to get one for the other days ?

Where exactly do we go to book for the Sanctuary? The Sanctuary itself? Can we book this as soon as we board? Also, can we book 1/2 days for just the days we want or are you required to book 1/2 days for the entire week?

Sorry for adding additional questions, but we're sailing Princess for the first time, so booking this is new for us.

Where exactly do we go to book for the Sanctuary? The Sanctuary itself? Can we book this as soon as we board? Also, can we book 1/2 days for just the days we want or are you required to book 1/2 days for the entire week?

Sorry for adding additional questions, but we're sailing Princess for the first time, so booking this is new for us.

The Sanctuary is full forward on Deck 17 "Sun" Deck. The Royal's deck plans are on the Princess site. You'll have to race up the moment you board if you're to have any chance of booking for the week. I don't think you can book half-days for the week, only for the full period/full days at $20/person/day. If you do want only half days, you book those early in the morning on the day you want. And I understand it's emphasis on "early". On the Caribbean trips, they probably go fast.

We're planning to arrive very early and try and book for the week, but with all the folks having preferred boarding ahead of us, I'm not optimistic we'll be able to get our two spots

If you want to book for half a day, and want the second half of the day, would you go up at 8ish and book the afternoon? Or wait till the afternoon session starts around 1ish??

I'm finding it hard to not want to go book "just in case", but we are not "sit on loungers" type of people, and may want to try it once or twice during the cruise - so just want to try to understand how it all works. :D

If you want to book for half a day, and want the second half of the day, would you go up at 8ish and book the afternoon? Or wait till the afternoon session starts around 1ish??

I'm finding it hard to not want to go book "just in case", but we are not "sit on loungers" type of people, and may want to try it once or twice during the cruise - so just want to try to understand how it all works. :D

It's first come first serve, and booking begins on embarkation day.. If its something you think you will want, you need to book early. I wouldnt recommend going day of because you will likely be disappointed. Most book for the entire cruise.

But in all honesty, if you are not 'lounger types' I don't see the appeal. There is no pool in the sanctuary.. It's service and ambiance.

You may want to have a tour once inboard before you decide.

Good luck!

You aren't ordered out lol but the staff have a lunch break and tidy ready for the afternoon session there is a sign at the entrance which states the opening times and clearly says closed between 12:00 - 13:00 (I think those are the times).

We were once asked if we were leaving as they were about to go for their lunch but not ordered out.

The Royal's Sanctuary times are 8:30am-1pm, 1:30-6:00pm. Those are times for booking purposes, not times of operation. If you've booked for the whole day, it's from 8:30am-6pm, no break.

To get a lounger or cabana for the day, you should get there well before 8am. (The loungers were almost all booked by people who arrived at 8:15am.) Most people book for the day or the cruise. Those who book for the cruise get the best locations. It never closed during the day. There was always someone around to get you a cold towel, lunch or whatever. The staff change during the day so it's possible someone asked you if you wanted anything before they left. Staff have to be there in case it rains or someone wants something. To book for just the afternoon, I'd advise you to get there very early.

No, there's no pool directly in the Sanctuary (only the Coral and Island have that) but the Retreat pool and hot tubs are just outside the entrance.

The Sanctuary isn't for everyone. I love having a comfortable lounger to go to (can't stay on any of the ship's loungers for more than a few minutes as I find them too uncomfortable) and relax in a quiet area away from others.

Edited by Pam in CA

If we are lucky enough to be able to book for the whole week, how do we select our loungers? Do we choose from a map, or walk around and look at the various lounger options, or...?

I really need something in the shade if possible, so hopefully there are loungers that are in the shade most of the time?

If we are lucky enough to be able to book for the whole week, how do we select our loungers? Do we choose from a map, or walk around and look at the various lounger options, or...?

I really need something in the shade if possible, so hopefully there are loungers that are in the shade most of the time?

They will walk you to available lounger(s) for your selection. Take into account where the sun will be in the afternoon. Depending on the direction the ship's sailing, there may not be all-day sun. The canvas covering provides partial shade, not full shade and there are gaps between the canvas coverings. On the Royal, the loungers most in the shade were booked for the whole cruise. I booked a lounger where the sun was behind me most of the day. That way, I didn't have sun on my face.