Land Discoveries email from Azamara

riandei

MZK90 - The problem is that many of the knowledgeable and caring staff have already left what appears to be the sinking ship of Azamara UK.....all queries are put through to RCCL UK anyway and who you get at the end of the phone is pot luck. Most of them are not at all familiar with the Azamara product. I spoke to a total of four employees, as did my T/A.....and not one of them understood the T&C'S of Open Passages.....even when I clearly pointed them to the advice section on Azamara's website! I have used these before....the last time in May to book our October cruise and I understand the T&C'S perfectly well.

I asked to speak to a Supervisor, who assured me that she understood Open Passage Certificates as she had done a presentation on them at The Cruise Show this year. She told me that I was absolutely correct in my understanding of the rules of use. She said she would consult with her Manager to get the issue sorted out. After ten minutes of me waiting on the phone she returned and said her Manager had told her I was wrong, although previously the Supervisor had said I was right. So I asked her to request the Manager to call me back to clarify the situation and was told that he would be in a meeting all morning but that he would call me back that afternoon. I waited in all afternoon and that was a week ago. I'm still waiting for that call back. :mad::(

My T/A then attempted yet again to speak to someone who understood the concept of Open Passage Certificates and it seems that no-one does and no-one calls you back. Then I could not get on the website to check whether our $200 discount had been applied....so at the moment Hazel and I have an invoice that has not applied our discount and with other issues too.

I am very angry, fed up and feeling let down by Azamara UK. This is no way to treat loyal customers! I don't think a call centre in Guatemala can do any worse. :rolleyes:

Once again, I can only suggest that you email azamaraservice.uk@rccl.com in order for someone to deal with the issue.

Hello MZK and other Readers -

I have already posted this information on another thread related to this 2014 policy change.

I've attempted to summarize the details about the last-chance to receive the 25% Land Discoveries Savings in 2014.

The language on website states the following about our Land Discoveries Savings:

§ Effective January 4, 2014, the current 25% savings on Land Discoveries will no longer be available.

§ Guests already booked on a 2014 voyage, or those who book now through midnight January 3, 2014 will still be eligible for the 25% savings as long as you book your Land Discoveries online at least 4 days prior to the voyage sailing date or prior to January 3, 2014.

There are two specific voyages shown below in which there are specific "last-call" dates to receive the savings during the booking process for both NEW and EXISTING reservations. The rule is driven by the fact Land Discoveries must be booked at least four (4) - 24-hour cycles/days prior to the voyage's embarkation day. That means that the sailing date is not included in the calculation.

- Departure - Quest, Jan 5, 2014 - you have until December 31, 2013, 11:59 PM EST to do so.

- Departure - Journey, Jan 6, 2014 - you have until January 01, 2014, 11:59 PM EST to do so.

With respect to the brain-teaser question, using the rules above, the correct response:

Q: Guest A books Quest for September 2014 today.

- A: Must book Land Discoveries no later than now through midnight January 3, 2014.

Q: Guest B books Quest for September 2014 in February of next year.

- A: Guest B is not eligible. The program was discontinued on midnight, January 3, 2014.

For the sake of good order, please keep in mind the 25% Land Discoveries Savings program will not be offered in 2015. Our rationale was a reformulation of our "destination immersion" concept for 2014 and into the future so that we could offer the following based on our guest feedback:

§ Tours of shorter duration.

§ Smaller and more intimate group experiences.

§ Azamara’s Insider Series – deeper social cultural immersion with locals.

§ Restructured Night Touring program with single-themed after dinner experiences.

Also, from time to time, we will be offering our Land Discoveries in special promotions.

I hope this adds clarity to the process to the changes ahead.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Edited by Bill Leiber

Like you mzk90, we have used Open Passage certificates before and know exactly the benefits that they offer.

It is a pity that .Azamara staff shoreside do not have similar knowledge and in many cases contradict each other. After all, we are not asking them to split the atom!

Hi from onboard Quest. I mentioned on board to Nathalia that you might be having problems. She said that she. Knew you had made a reservation and would check whether there were any problems and try to resolve them with the powers that be! Hope all is well.

Pam

Bill, thanks for the reply.

So to confirm:

- A: Must book Land Discoveries no later than now through midnight January 3, 2014.

So what if there are tours added to this sailing after Jan 4th, let's say in Feb. If Guest A books a newly added tour in Feb, they will NOT receive the discount because the 25% is dead after Jan 4th?

Basically, no-one, regardless of them booking their cruise prior to Jan 4th, can possibly receive the 25% discount on any shore excursion they try to book any time after Jan 4th?

Hi from onboard Quest. I mentioned on board to Nathalia that you might be having problems. She said that she. Knew you had made a reservation and would check whether there were any problems and try to resolve them with the powers that be! Hope all is well.

Pam

Pam, how kind of you to have a word with Nathalia. Thank you very much.

I am tracking your cruise - your itinerary is quite similar to ours. Hope you are having as much fun as we did.

Hazel

Hi Pam,

Yes, if you get the opportunity then please say thank you very much to Nathalia for her help from both of us......and amazingly.....or should that be "Azamazingly" I have had a reply from the Manager concerned via email today! :rolleyes:

Coincidence.....after 9 days? I think probably not, don't you? :D

As Hazel said, we hope you are both having a fab time.....can you please give Max a Hug from us? I'm sure he won't mind! :D

Bill, thanks for the reply.

So to confirm:

So what if there are tours added to this sailing after Jan 4th, let's say in Feb. If Guest A books a newly added tour in Feb, they will NOT receive the discount because the 25% is dead after Jan 4th?

Basically, no-one, regardless of them booking their cruise prior to Jan 4th, can possibly receive the 25% discount on any shore excursion they try to book any time after Jan 4th?

Hello MZK90 -

After the discontinuance of the 25% Land Discoveries Savings, new tours that may be added to a voyage will not be eligible to receive the 25% savings after midnight on January 3, 2014.

At the same time, we will be engaging in ongoing promotional offers featuring our Land Discoveries. In the company bulletin we stated, "... there are times where we will be promoting our new land excursions, like in November, on select 2014 Mediterranean voyages, when one Land Discovery in every port will be yours, free."

Also, remember that you can use your onboard credit to purchase shore excursions once onboard since all shore excursion costs prior to sailing or once onboard are the same.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello MZK90 -

After the discontinuance of the 25% Land Discoveries Savings, new tours that may be added to a voyage will not be eligible to receive the 25% savings after midnight on January 3, 2014.

At the same time, we will be engaging in ongoing promotional offers featuring our Land Discoveries. In the company bulletin we stated, "... there are times where we will be promoting our new land excursions, like in November, on select 2014 Mediterranean voyages, when one Land Discovery in every port will be yours, free."

Also, remember that you can use your onboard credit to purchase shore excursions once onboard since all shore excursion costs prior to sailing or once onboard are the same.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

I read this as if I want to book Land Discoveries for my already booked Quest sailing in the Adriatic on july 5th 2014 I can do so and get 25% off until 4 days prior to sailing date. If there should be NEW excursions after jan 3rd I will not get the discount.

I read this as if I want to book Land Discoveries for my already booked Quest sailing in the Adriatic on july 5th 2014 I can do so and get 25% off until 4 days prior to sailing date. If there should be NEW excursions after jan 3rd I will not get the discount.

No Oddjob not quite correct, you only get 25% if you book and pay for the excursions by 3rd January - Bill has clarified that here now - you will see I have also told him the statement is still misleading and he has kindly picked up on a wording change I have suggested

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40506835&postcount=29

I am still in azamazement that the team that wrote the message did not see where there was ambiguity

Edited by uktog

Hello Oddjob -

Actually to be eligible to be eligible for the 25% Land Discoveries Savings on your forthcoming Azamara Quest July 5, 2014 voyage will require that you book the shore excursion prior to midnight on January 3, 2014. It will not be 4 days prior to your sailing date.

§ Rule: Guests already booked on a 2014 voyage will still be eligible for the 25% savings as long as you book your Land Discoveries online at least 4 days prior to the voyage sailing date or prior to January 3, 2014, whichever date is earlier.

You are correct that if a NEW land excursion is made available there will be NO 25% Land Discoveries Savings. The program is discontinued at the start of January 4, 2014.

I hope this adds clarity to the process and looking forward to welcoming you onboard next July! Also, thanks to Uktog for her mentoring!!!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Oddjob -

Actually to be eligible to be eligible for the 25% Land Discoveries Savings on your forthcoming Azamara Quest July 5, 2014 voyage will require that you book the shore excursion prior to midnight on January 3, 2014. It will not be 4 days prior to your sailing date.

§ Rule: Guests already booked on a 2014 voyage will still be eligible for the 25% savings as long as you book your Land Discoveries online at least 4 days prior to the voyage sailing date or prior to January 3, 2014, whichever date is earlier.

You are correct that if a NEW land excursion is made available there will be NO 25% Land Discoveries Savings. The program is discontinued at the start of January 4, 2014.

I hope this adds clarity to the process and looking forward to welcoming you onboard next July! Also, thanks to Uktog for her mentoring!!!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Let's hope that Azamara will be doing their utmost to have ALL tours for 2014 loaded by mid December then, so we can see what is available for next year and decide if we want to book or not, based on still getting the 25% discount up until Jan 3rd.

Hope they don't start sneaking tours in after that date! :eek:

Let's hope that Azamara will be doing their utmost to have ALL tours for 2014 loaded by mid December then, so we can see what is available for next year and decide if we want to book or not, based on still getting the 25% discount up until Jan 3rd.

Hope they don't start sneaking tours in after that date! :eek:

I've never booked an Azamara excursion (except for an Azamazing evening) but was thinking about doing so for a May cruise. However, various posts on here make me feel uneasy. It seems that excursions are often cancelled at late notice, and a substitute booking will be at full price. Also, it appears that new trips are often added later on and, as you say, there'd be no discount on these. It'd be nice if there was an assurance that any excursion lists appearing in December for 2014 cruises are final. I could then make an informed decision. Also, when will any "free" ones be published?

Hello Oddjob -

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Thank you Bill. Nice to get it straight and clear. I think it's fair enough now that we have reasonable time to make a decision for the tours.:)

I can say with jimmy Cliff: I can see clearly Now!:D

:) Have a Sun-Shiny Day

Odd

PS!

No you don't have to thank me for sticking that song into your brains. :p

• 3 weeks later...

The email I received here in the UK clearly states that to qualify for the 25% discount on 2014 cruises you have to book at least four days prior to sail date or before 10 pm GMT on January 3, 2014 - WHICHEVER COMES SOONEST. So, clearly, after January 3 no discounts will be available. You have to select and book by then to get the 25%.

I shall be more than annoyed if I go ahead and make bookings only to find that some excursions I've selected become free. Hopefully if that does happen I can simply cancel and rebook.

The email I received here in the UK clearly states that to qualify for the 25% discount on 2014 cruises you have to book at least four days prior to sail date or before 10 pm GMT on January 3, 2014 - WHICHEVER COMES SOONEST. So, clearly, after January 3 no discounts will be available. You have to select and book by then to get the 25%.

I shall be more than annoyed if I go ahead and make bookings only to find that some excursions I've selected become free. Hopefully if that does happen I can simply cancel and rebook.

I don't think they'll be free for us who did not book using this promo. I checked with my TA to see if I could get the promo but couldn't. I booked prior to it. What bothers me is if we do book excursions there may not be people signing up for them and then they get canceled due to lack of participation. That happened on our last Azamara cruise.:eek:

I don't think they'll be free for us who did not book using this promo. I checked with my TA to see if I could get the promo but couldn't. I booked prior to it. What bothers me is if we do book excursions there may not be people signing up for them and then they get canceled due to lack of participation. That happened on our last Azamara cruise.:eek:

Book your own private excursions

That's what I always do and what I did on our Azamara cruise

Small group

Hand picked guides

YOU choose where to go and at what pace

YOU choose whom to go with

NO BIG BUS which cannot navigate into many areas any way

NO touristy shopping stops

Costs less

No chance of cancellation

A no brainer IMO

This is a very good point. With free trips, it might mean that the "$12 millionaires" (© Proctor)will only do the included trips, leading to less attendance of the paid tours, leading to cancellations due to below minimum numbers! :eek:

Book your own private excursions

That's what I always do and what I did on our Azamara cruise

Small group

Hand picked guides

YOU choose where to go and at what pace

YOU choose whom to go with

NO BIG BUS which cannot navigate into many areas any way

NO touristy shopping stops

Costs less

No chance of cancellation

A no brainer IMO

Some would add:

Bus breakdown

Late return to port

Quest/Journey a small speck on the horizon!!!

Some would add:

Bus breakdown

Late return to port

Quest/Journey a small speck on the horizon!!!

Ask anyone who have ever done private tours if this has happened to them

The only people I know who have returned late were on the ship's tours -- old big busses that break down

ALL of these private tour companies have backups -- they would not stay in business if they could not get folks back to the ship.

There are no BIG BUSSES TO BREAK DOWN BTW

I always plan to get back to the ship more than an hour before sailing.

BTW -- I just gave the names of all my guides for the Black Sea 2013 to someone taking the same Azamara cruise in 2014. If you are willing to do the work, it is worth it. You will have a far better experience with a private guide (and see more and learn more) than you ever could on a big bus tour. There are some private guides that are so "famous" that I book them almost 2 years in advance. The money savings and the elimination of cancellation are icing on the cake.

Edited by pacheco18

Ask anyone who have ever done private tours if this has happened to them

The only people I know who have returned late were on the ship's tours -- old big busses that break down

ALL of these private tour companies have backups -- they would not stay in business if they could not get folks back to the ship.

There are no BIG BUSSES TO BREAK DOWN BTW

I always plan to get back to the ship more than an hour before sailing.

and long may your good fortune with independent tours continue. I was merely pointing out that some may not be as comfortable with them as you are and will buy into the cruise line USP of their tours never missing sailaway etc.

and long may your good fortune with independent tours continue. I was merely pointing out that some may not be as comfortable with them as you are and will buy into the cruise line USP of their tours never missing sailaway etc.

Understood

My point is that the "discomfort" is somewhat "irrational" as it is the fear of something that just does not happen.

On Oceania, where more cruisers than on Azamara book private tours (just check out the roll calls), half the ship takes private tours on some cruises. I have never heard of anyone missing the ship. Some tours companies (NOT ALL) even guarantee to get you to the next port if that happens. LOL

On Azamara, where there are many late night and overnight stays, the "fear" is completely unwarranted. I suggest that those who have the fear or discomfort try a private tour on a late night or overnight day. Once you have tasted the private tours, you won't want to get on the big bus again.

I have a huge database of fabulous private guides/tour operators and I am always happy to share