Park Cafe To Go Items for shore excursions

Here's an example Compass with the necessary information under' Local Port Agriculture Regulations'

Week1001.jpg

I've never heard of anyone smuggling ROCKS. :D Soil is prohibited, but rocks must be a new one or a funny translation.

Thanks for posting that. :D

Although there was that funny movie, "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball. (And the smuggled rocks)

I've never heard of anyone smuggling ROCKS. :D Soil is prohibited, but rocks must be a new one or a funny translation.

Although there was that funny movie, "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball. (And the smuggled rocks)

Oh don't get me started on the Starfish thread, the memory of which I keep in my sig.....

On an RCI Tour to Tulum, back in 1998, we were supplied with a box lunch on the bus back to the ferry. It consisted of a chicken sandwich, chips, cookies and a cold drink. The chips, cookies and cold drink were US products. I assumed the lunch came from the ship, not locally packaged.

That was then. This is now.

I've had a boxed lunch on a Celebrity shore excursion in South America - it was prepared by the country we visited. Even though soft drinks were provided, they were from the local country, not from the ship.

Last cruise, we were even asked to rinse out my grandaughters said bucket before we boarded - looked clean to me, but some hanger oners might have adhered to the bucket.

I agree it is not good for the islands/other countries. If everyone on board took one small food item, and the wrapping/leftovers go to the dump, it could cause a problem.

We have taken boxed cherrios/granolla from the breakfast buffet for gk, and had no problem. But usually bring the pkg back on board.

Remember the days people used to bring baby alligators from Florida home?!?

Sorry, but food on board is for on board! If you want a picnic, you can usually find somewhere to purchase something to take along from the port area.

On an RCI Tour to Tulum, back in 1998, we were supplied with a box lunch on the bus back to the ferry. It consisted of a chicken sandwich, chips, cookies and a cold drink. The chips, cookies and cold drink were US products. I assumed the lunch came from the ship, not locally packaged.

We had a box lunch on our bus to Chichen Itza with RCI... but it was locally prepared (from subway) and not from the ship.

You know of course what happens when you 'assume' anything.:D

The key word is "pre-packaged" - in other words sealed as in the cereal boxes referred to

I can see taking that if you have small children that absolutely need to have something while out and about

However, would you REALLY:eek: want to eat a dry box of cereal vs local food if you are hungry? IDK - just doesn't sound very appealing to me;):)

So it's all right for RCCL to unload hundreds of pounds of meats, fruits, vegetables into Haiti, the Bahamas and whatever other beach day islands and countries that they do business in to be cooked and eaten for lunch.

Yes, it is. They have very strict sanitation rules they follow regarding the handling of perishables.

So it's all right for RCCL to unload hundreds of pounds of meats, fruits, vegetables into Haiti, the Bahamas and whatever other beach day islands and countries that they do business in to be cooked and eaten for lunch.

Yes, it is. They have very strict sanitation rules they follow regarding the handling of perishables.

My understanding is the food is cooked on the ship.....

When we got off in ports they looked in each bag to make sure no food items were being taken off. There was a whole bin full of bananas at the side. Common sense should tell you not to take this stuff into another country....:eek:

Never assume that the entire human race has common sense. If there truly was such a thing, there wouldn't be quite so many stupid people. As I was once told, "the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Before the flame throwers are pre-heated, I'm not saying that EVERYONE is stupid. If someone takes it that way, then they may be in said group themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry, but no they won't. And it doesn't matter which cruise line.

Virtually all ports (including ones in the US) won't allow fresh foods to be brought off the ship. And while some will use the word rule it's local LAW and you can be fined (sometimes quite heavily) if you try. There will be a notice in the ship's daily schedule as to what's allowed and usually announcements will be made before folks start going off the ship. And once off the ship there will be trash cans full of stuff that the people who couldn't read or follow directions have left.

It has to do with the possibility of bringing insects/pests on shore. While that apple might look ok there could be eggs in the core. Australia and New Zealand are especially strict - you can't even take packaged items into New Zealand (2 small islands with a delicate ecosystem).

Thats why New Zealand is one of the most beautifuliest countries in the world..They look after it !!!!:)

That was then. This is now.

I've had a boxed lunch on a Celebrity shore excursion in South America - it was prepared by the country we visited. Even though soft drinks were provided, they were from the local country, not from the ship.

Absolutely true and still true. When they are provided by the country where you visit, no problem. Just don't take food off the ship unless it is packaged and sealed by the manufacturer.

LuLu

~~~~

Actually ONE is all it takes to spread an agricultural problem, that is the whole reason for the rules........

I understand that. I understand the LAW.:rolleyes: My point is that everyone thinks their one won't make any difference. We NEVER take anything ashore.

At our first port in Chile the entire disembarcation was stopped because a passenger tried to bring food off ship. Celebrity was crystal clear in multiple announcements "no food to be taken off ship". We were so concerned we didn't even take our single wrapped LifeSavers candy. Someone thought the rule/law didn't apply to them and we all were inconvenienced.

Forgot to mention that the napkins had the RCI logo on them.:rolleyes:

Possibly a pretty good assumption.

While back in 1998 it very well might have been a boxed lunch by the ship, I would say US products and RCI napkins are no hint at all. It would be quite easy for any local tour Operator to locally produce Box lunches with US products and the RCI logo printed all over them (if they seek permission from RCI for this).

While I wouldn´t do it, I know a few People collecting rocks from places around the world, so it´s not really that unusual at all.

I remember a case that made the news quite a bit about a person trying to take small pieces of rock out of Turkey and got arrested for this. They spent quite some time in a Turkish jail and from what I got from the News that´s not a place you want to be dumped in:eek:.

It amazes me how people can spend thousands on a cruise but are too tight to buy some lunch. The locals in some of these ports rely on custom from cruise passengers. Also what's the point of travelling to different countries if you don't try the local food.

It amazes me how people can spend thousands on a cruise but are too tight to buy some lunch. The locals in some of these ports rely on custom from cruise passengers. Also what's the point of travelling to different countries if you don't try the local food.

While I would never take Food off the ship, I rarely eat ashore either when on a cruise. Local Food is certainly not even on my list of reasons to visit a foreign Country, be it land based or cruising.

While I would never take Food off the ship, I rarely eat ashore either when on a cruise. Local Food is certainly not even on my list of reasons to visit a foreign Country, be it land based or cruising.

This must be a challenge on a lad-based trip! :)

That's such a shame..... I love trying local delicacies and sampling regional food.... I would go so far as to say that is one of the reasons I love to travel abroad!

Archived