Does anyone NOT visit NY when sailing from Bayonne?

warmwinds

I love New York and go there often. But we're taking a 14 night cruise, plus an overnight at EWR the night before, and I just can't see extending the trip any longer. Even though I love New York.

Have you ever just gone on the cruise and not paid a visit to the city? Were you sorry you didn't stay extra or glad you were just heading home after a long cruise?

Edited by warmwinds

We to love visiting NYC, and do so several times a year. We also love to book cruises which depart from Cape Liberty, as we can drive there just as easily as we drive to New York. But we have never intermingled the two trips. Much too inconvenient. Cruise requires more and different luggage/stuff to take, parking (while easier at Cape Liberty) is a hassle in both places and we would just as soon not deal with that headache twice in a single trip. Maybe when Allen has retired and we have more time for logistics that make sense we will combine the two trips.

David

• 2 months later...

We live in PA and have sailed out of both NYC and Bayonne - neither time did we visit or spend time in NYC. We head right to the ship as it's the best way to avoid the crowds of Mets and Giants fan...

Just kidding!!!! That would be a pretty ridiculous reason!! In all honestly, we have been to NYC numerous times before. It's a great city to walk around and visit, but when I'm in cruise mode - I want to be on the ship. I love looking at the city from the ship - second best view following the Empire State Building.

Happy cruising, all!

I've been to NYC quite a few times and I love it. During my last Explorer cruise, I wasn't able to make it across but this time around, I'm staying near Newark Penn Station and get into Newark before noon so I'll be spending the afternoon in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

• 2 months later...

We did stay 4 days pre-cruise to visit NYC when sailing out of Bayonne last time and loved it. But it did take tons of planning and the luggage situation was a nightmare because of the different type of packing for each portion of the trip. We are looking at a cruise out of Manhattan and this time we won't do any visiting. We will save it for a separate trip.