Newbie Review Jewel 10/13/13 NOLA

kchiumento

You might want to check the fine print on your cruise docs. No "cases" of drinks allowed. NCL does not allow any drinks carried on board including cases of pop/water

Ummm if you scroll up to my picture of us in Cagney's, there is a case of Vitamin Water that we brought on the ship with us. So I think your information might be a little off. I saw fellow cruisers bring cases or 12-packs of Coke and bottled water.

Word of the wise on the elevator situation. On the first day I head a passenger just screaming at an NCL employee about the elevators. It was embarrassing. It was the first day, right after the Muster Drill. Yes, it was difficult to get an elevator at that time as, every single passenger is trying to get somewhere at the same time. But the words this guy was using and his tone of voice left a bad taste in my mouth. The NCL Crew member tried to handle the situation as best as possible.

So the remainder of the week we held to the rule of "2 floors or less take the stairs". The comedian even made jokes about the "2 floor" rule in his show. Sometimes the elevators were so crowded that we would walk the 5 or 6 floors to get where we needed to go. It was so much easier just to walk it than complain about the slow elevators. It was not something that I would let ruin my cruise. I actually think it is kind of comical that some people would let something like that ruin their cruise.

Word of the wise on the elevator situation. On the first day I head a passenger just screaming at an NCL employee about the elevators. It was embarrassing. It was the first day, right after the Muster Drill. Yes, it was difficult to get an elevator at that time as, every single passenger is trying to get somewhere at the same time. But the words this guy was using and his tone of voice left a bad taste in my mouth. The NCL Crew member tried to handle the situation as best as possible.

So the remainder of the week we held to the rule of "2 floors or less take the stairs". The comedian even made jokes about the "2 floor" rule in his show. Sometimes the elevators were so crowded that we would walk the 5 or 6 floors to get where we needed to go. It was so much easier just to walk it than complain about the slow elevators. It was not something that I would let ruin my cruise. I actually think it is kind of comical that some people would let something like that ruin their cruise.

When we are on a cruise we pretty much do the rule of 3, plus it is a good way to work off the calories from all the over eating we tend to do too.:D

I can't remember if I covered the restaurants we ate in. I am too lazy to look back so if I am repeating myself, my apologies :o

We ate a Azura the first night. Lobster and Steak. I head the steak was a bit better at Tsars that night. Our lobster was good, but the steak was marginal. I ate and really had no complaints. I have eaten worse. I thought the desserts were good. I have heard other people say that NCL's desserts were less than desirable. We had so many to choose from, it was difficult. I loved the cheesecake and the ice cream.

We also at at Tsars. Good. Go! It was my mom's favorite place to eat dinner. The decor is beautiful. We ate there twice for dinner. I had the steak one night and the Salmon the next. Both were good.

Moderno- We did this the last night. I love brazilian style restaurants. The salad bar was good and very easy to fill up on items there. So be careful. The meat selections were plentyful and very good. I'm not too big on the sausage type meats, but my kids tried them and liked them. If you knew how picky my 12 yr old is you would know what I mean. You have to try the pineapple smothered in cinnamon. It was really tasty.

We did eat dinner at Blue Lagoon one night. It was not the best meal. I heard it is good for Lunch and midnight snack, but don't go for dinner. It was a waste of a good dinner opportunity. The selection was small and i didn't particularly like what I got. It was so unmemorable that I can't even remember what I ate.

Cagneys - we never did Cagneys for dinner. We should have, but we were so overwhelmed, time got away from us. We really needed a 10 day cruise ;). But we did eat lunch there. The steak at cagneys was good for the lunch we had on embarkation day. Then I ate there for lunch on Tuesday and I had the swordfish sandwich. O. M. G! I am still craving it. I really regret not going back and getting it again. If you have the opportunity to eat this swordfish sandwich and you even remotely like fish, you have to get this.

We did eat several meals at the Garden Cafe. It was just so convenient. Our little one is 6 and that was his favorite place to go. He sat with us at Moderno for an hour and didn't eat a thing. Then since he waited patiently we took him up to the Garden Cafe so he could have his favorite Macaroni and Cheese and the "yellow bread". It was pound cake and he ate his weight in it all week.

Of course the cookies! Our butler would bring us cookies every afternoon and chocolate covered strawberries. The cookies were so good they didn't last 5 minutes once we got back from our excursions.

Chocolate Buffet- YOU MUST GO! They closed down the Garden Buffet and closed all access to it so they can set up the Chocolate Buffet. Everything you can imagine covered in chocolate. I was a little heavy on the wine that night, but it opened up at 10. People got a little crazy, but people were just excited. It was good and a nice late night snack. Even if you don't like chocolate, you have to go just to see it. It was quite a display.

Thanks for the info on the food. Good to know Tsars was worth doing.

I have read there is usually a fairly long wait for Tsars...was that your experience?

We typically eat fairly early so I am hoping that will make a difference.

My DH's Birthday is the night of the Choc buffet so we are planning to meet up with some other folks on our Rollcall who are also celebrating for the Choc. Buffet. I am hoping to get some pics of their work before it is destroyed ;-)

Did you happen to go to the Jazz Brunch? Or have any details on it.

It is on our must do list , but it's very hard to find details on it (menu how long the music is played etc)

Excellent post thank you :-)

Chocolate Buffet- YOU MUST GO! They closed down the Garden Buffet and closed all access to it so they can set up the Chocolate Buffet. Everything you can imagine covered in chocolate. I was a little heavy on the wine that night, but it opened up at 10. People got a little crazy, but people were just excited. It was good and a nice late night snack. Even if you don't like chocolate, you have to go just to see it. It was quite a display.

Come on now red wine and chocolate is a marriage made in heaven. :D

Thanks for the food venues reviews, I guess you didn't make to Le Bistro either? My wife already has her sights on the rack of lamb at Le Bistro.

They are going to have to drag me kicking and screaming from the chocolate buffet! WOW!! And I will be trying the champagne in chocolate rimmed glasses.

I am on the Jewel the week before you and I plan to make sure there is no chocolate left for yours.:p:D:p

I am on the Jewel the week before you and I plan to make sure there is no chocolate left for yours.:p:D:p

terrydtx....I will find you and hunt you down!!! I need you to leave chocolate AND champagne! Oh, and some of those cookies that I hear are delicious but hard to find!! :p

We had to carry on the case of vitamin water. In NOLA the porters wouldn't take the drinks for us. We put a luggage tag on them, but they still wouldn't take them. I have heard that in other ports the porters will take the drinks with your checked bags, but not in NOLA.

As far as counting as our 2 pieces of luggage, they didn't count how many bags we had. There were 7 of us and we checked 16 pieces of luggage. In our defense 3 of those were supposed to be carry-ons that somehow managed to get a luggage tag and loaded on the dolly in our haste. I don't believe it is as strict as the airlines. So if you need to pack 3 or 4 bags for yourself don't worry about it. Now, if you are flying, that is a completely different story. We drove to New Orleans, so we didn't have any restrictions on luggage, just what could fit in the Suburban.

Hi, thank you so much for all your review info! Good stuff! Can you tell me where you bought the Vitamin Water? I like that and those FUSE drinks and would like to stop somewhere from the airport to the hotel to get them. Any input is greatly appreciated.

terrydtx....I will find you and hunt you down!!! I need you to leave chocolate AND champagne! Oh, and some of those cookies that I hear are delicious but hard to find!! :p

Look for the cookies at the Great Outdoors. Deck 12 aft. I would take my daughter up there after we picked her up from kids club at 1030. They always had cookies then. Hubby and I sat at the bar there on Thrusday night before the Chocolate buffet (Those Blue Lagoons were going down very well that night :p) and they had plenty of cookies.

Hi, thank you so much for all your review info! Good stuff! Can you tell me where you bought the Vitamin Water? I like that and those FUSE drinks and would like to stop somewhere from the airport to the hotel to get them. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Since we drove from St. Louis the day before, we just bought them at the grocery store and brought them with us. I am sure there is somewhere to stop and get them between the airport and the cruise terminal. Ask your driver to stop at a grocery store. I don't know much about NOLA. Wish I could help more.

Do I need to report this personal attack or threat of to the CC admin? Just kidding but I do have a mean body guard dog :eek::p:D

Edited by terrydtx

Thanks for posting this review and the great pics! We're sailing on the Jewel out of Houston next year, but I figure it's never too early to start looking at some reviews :)

So the remainder of the week we held to the rule of "2 floors or less take the stairs".

Sticking to this rule helped keep our stress level down on our last cruise :)

WOW great pics of the Choc. Buffet...most people don't get that many..yes please post more :):D:)

Strangely enough I was most thrilled to see...choc covered apples :cool:

A few questions re the buffet...how long before it opened did people start lining up?

Did they let people take pics before they dug in? How were you able to get pics before the displays were destroyed?

Is there other Choc covered fruit?

Thanks for posting :-)

Thanks for posting this review and the great pics! We're sailing on the Jewel out of Houston next year, but I figure it's never too early to start looking at some reviews :)

We are also going out of Houston next year (Dec 27 2014) and have been reading every Jewel review

Do I need to report this personal attack or threat of to the CC admin? Just kidding but I do have a mean body guard dog :eek::p:D

LOL! I think your threat was worse....I have been dreaming about that chocolate buffet....so have my kids, they keep making me show them pictures!!

LOL! I think your threat was worse....I have been dreaming about that chocolate buffet....so have my kids, they keep making me show them pictures!!

You do know wars have been fought over chocolate!! I am an old guy and chocolate is good for my heart health so I consume all I can. :D:p:D