Upgrade on Celebrity

Jamisonke

We will be traveling on our second Celebrity cruise in a few weeks and we have some questions for those more experienced with the line.

1. Have any of you had luck in being upgraded?

2. Any idea how guests are selected for an upgrade?

3. Has anyone on the board had any luck alerting Celebrity of a special occasion and subsequently being upgraded?

Thanks!

We have been upgraded twice on P&O both times had booked a year ahead and got the upgrades with less than a month to go. This is our first Celebrity cruise and what I have been told is most upgrades happen when they move you up to move a late booking in as they want the ship to be full. Another person said that " Upgrades are more like a lottery". We don't expect to get on this time, but you nether no till it happens. Enjoy your cruise anyway.

Upgrades are far and few......you mentioned an ocassion......tell

Celebrity and if it is birthday/anniversary...something like that? You

may get a cake and the wait staff may sing.

Ocassions normally have nothing to do with upgrades....you mentioned

sailing with Celebrity once before? I have sailed with them over 30

times without being upgraded.

I would suggest booking a cabin you are happy with and enjoy

your cruise.:)

I have to agree. We have been on Celebrity about 20 time in the last few years and have never had an upgrade. We have even been booked in the Penthouse on four of the cruises. We always book the room we want, never expecting an upgrade, that way we are never disappointed

Upgrades are far and few......you mentioned an ocassion......tell

Celebrity and if it is birthday/anniversary...something like that? You

may get a cake and the wait staff may sing.

Ocassions normally have nothing to do with upgrades....you mentioned

sailing with Celebrity once before? I have sailed with them over 30

times without being upgraded.

I would suggest booking a cabin you are happy with and enjoy

your cruise.:)

We did book a cabin we are happy with - we're in a hump concierge class on Silhouette. We were married recently and will be celebrating our honeymoon on this cruise, so I thought I'd ask the question.

We did book a cabin we are happy with - we're in a hump concierge class on Silhouette. We were married recently and will be celebrating our honeymoon on this cruise, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Congratulations:) and I was trying to help with the answer. Normally,

upgrades are very far and few in between.

Most will chase you with torches for asking such a question...these days, upgrades are really paid and not like years past...I don't know anyone who has been upgraded for free and we and our friends cruise a lot...you can though, upgrade after final payment or before if prices drop and it's either reasonable or the same price for a better cabin! Enjoy!!

Congratulations:) and I was trying to help with the answer. Normally,

upgrades are very far and few in between.

Of course. I'm just wondering what Celebrity factors in when upgrades are given. We've sailed on NCL several times and have been upgraded a few times. It's interesting to understand what is used to make such a determination by a cruise line.

Most will chase you with torches for asking such a question...these days, upgrades are really paid and not like years past...I don't know anyone who has been upgraded for free and we and our friends cruise a lot...you can though, upgrade after final payment or before if prices drop and it's either reasonable or the same price for a better cabin! Enjoy!!

Yes, yes ... please don't chase me with torches. :). It really was meant as an innocent question.

We were on the Celebrity Summit in May. We were in a SS1 and had been on several Celebrity cruises. We also took our son and daughter in law who had never been on a Celebrity cruise. They also were in a SS1. One week before the cruise our son received a call from Celebrity that they were upgraded to a Celebrity Suite. Plus with that suite they received a Elite card to be used for that cruise. We also met a couple who were on their first Celebrity cruise who were upgraded to a Royal Suite. One may ask was it because they were first time cruisers or was it their age. I know that they want to sail with a full ship so they do upgrade people at times. Our son offered us their suite but we told them that we were happy with our suite.

We were on the Celebrity Summit in May. We were in a SS1 and had been on several Celebrity cruises. We also took our son and daughter in law who had never been on a Celebrity cruise. They also were in a SS1. One week before the cruise our son received a call from Celebrity that they were upgraded to a Celebrity Suite. Plus with that suite they received a Elite card to be used for that cruise. We also met a couple who were on their first Celebrity cruise who were upgraded to a Royal Suite. One may ask was it because they were first time cruisers or was it their age. I know that they want to sail with a full ship so they do upgrade people at times. Our son offered us their suite but we told them that we were happy with our suite.

It's interesting - I thought I had read before that upgrades seem to be given to new Celebrity cruisers.

We were upgraded on our first Celebrity cruise many years ago, but I believe it was because we booked airfare through them (big mistake) and they really screwed it up bad, so bad that I lodged a complaint. At any rate, we had booked an ocean view cabin guarantee, meaning a non-balcony, and at embarkation we learned that our cabin had been upgraded to a balcony.

In another cruise line we've been upgraded, but I believe upgrades are far and few between.

On our first Celebrity cruise, our cruise critic friends, also first -time Celebrity cruisers, were upgraded to a suite which was right next door to the Penthouse

On the Infinity. They had a butler. Their originally booked category was a basic cabin. They had absolutely NO idea why they'd been targeted for an upgrade.

But once again, this was many years ago.

And congratulations on your recent marriage, and I notice that we are practically neighbors as I live across the Carquinez Bridge

Edited by 4cats4me

Most true upgrades (which by my definition mean a call out of the blue telling you that you have been upgraded to a higher level cabin - as opposed to people who purchase guarantees and consider it an upgrade if they get a higher level cabin than the lowest they could possibly receive) are indeed very few and far between. If stories on these boards are true, it seems that most upgrades go to one of two types of cruisers - those brand new to Celebrity or those who often sail on Celebrity in the higher category suites. Based on this, you have a slightly better chance than the average Celebrity cruiser, albeit still a slim one. It couldn't hurt to mention the honeymoon, but there are so many celebrations of major events I doubt that helps with the upgrade fairy. I am another person who has sailed Celebrity many, many times (24) but never got any upgrades.

I have to agree. We have been on Celebrity about 20 time in the last few years and have never had an upgrade. We have even been booked in the Penthouse on four of the cruises. We always book the room we want, never expecting an upgrade, that way we are never disappointed

I'm not an authority however, I believe your chances of getting an upgrade are low if you book a Penthouse Suite. I'd never say never but lower than average.

:D

If you do a search on this thread for "upgrades" you'll see some posts from happy cruisers. There doesn't seem to be any system to be figured out. It seems that people who book "guarantees" are often surprised with a better category. All depends on what is selling I suppose.

We have been fortunate to be upgraded on four cruise lines. On two of those cruises we were the prime organizer for groups. On one cruise we were resigned to take an OV cabin next to the atrium and when our key did not work we looked at the portfolio to see the glorious upgrade. This was a relatively last minute cruise but we did have an assigned cabin. On the fourth occasion we were evidently gifted our suite by a cruise line high ranking employee. We've also had a couple of generic fairy upgrades that are inexplicable. None were the first sailing on any of the lines. So who knows????????

We're just glad to sail and absolutely never never expect anything beyond what we book.

We were also upgraded to a Celebrity Suite for the first time in 11 years. We were in Aqua Class and booked an S1 guarantee when the price went lower than the Aqua Class. They booked us on 1615 right next door to the Penthouse and we are on the hump. We leave on Nov. 18 on the Silhouette.

... and you will be asked to pay the difference between the current price [for the upgraded stateroom] and what you actually paid [for your original stateroom] rather than the current price of your original stateroom [as some people mistakenly expect].

Sue