Sunburn! ouch.

erin_c

A friend of mine works for a sunscreen manufacturer and offers this advice...

1. SPF 35 is as effective as SPF 50. The important thing is replying frequently--at least every hour plus every time you get out of the water.

2. UV shirts and wide brimmed hats are also important in keeping safe from burns. She also suggests UV reef shorts that go to the knee for the very fair skinned if you will be snorkeling.

3. Limit exposure to the sun by staying in the shade, but keep in mind that sun reflects off sand and water and can still burn, so keep that sunscreen applied regularly.

4. All skin can burn in tropical sun, even those who typically tan, those with olive skin, and those with African American or dark Asian skin tones.

5. After sun care is important, even if you haven't burned. The sun dries out skin, and saltwater ales it's roll as well. Use a good moisturizer or oil on skin after being in the sun, and don't forget to do the same for your hair.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Great recommendations! I developed a sun allergy (medication induced) about 30 years ago. The first 20+ years of my life I tanned easily. Living in AZ has its challenges. I slather on 50+ including my part & ears, cover up & a big hat (sometimes an umbrella) and I'm good to go. My husband must protect too & he has coolibar 50+ SPF shirts that work great, light & breezy. Going to order one (a cover up big shirt) for myself for the caribbean cruise!!

I've found that Noxema works better on sunburns than aloe. I don't know why, but I was told this more than 30 years ago and it actually takes the sting out (aloe doesn't). I did a test back in my early 20s when both legs got burnt. Put aloe on one and noxema on the other. The noxema leg didn't hurt anywhere close to what the aloe leg did. That was enough for me. I always take a tube with me. Unfortunately, used it a couple of times this summer in Hawaii.

Ok lots of GREAT advice from folks. I just took my first cruise last month to the caribbean and I am fair, strawberry blonde with freckles, soooo you know the drill. I did something that other's may find objectionable but it worked for me. For the first and only time, and I won't do it again until I am going on a cruise, I went to a tanning bed. I started slowww, 3 minutes..and just built up a little base. I was instructed to use the beds that have a little bit of both uva and uvb rays..and then I also used sunscreen, 50 spf. Even with all that I got a tiny bit pink on one shoulder but nothing painful and it was gone by the next day. I haven't been tanning since and won't until another cruise coming up. No flames please and remember its the burn that causes the skin cancer and I have had wayyyy too many of those as kid, which is why even with us having a beach house I haven't been in 8 years...yes folks 8 years and it's 100 miles from me. Anyway best of luck and do everything you can NOT to get burnt.

Ok lots of GREAT advice from folks. I just took my first cruise last month to the caribbean and I am fair, strawberry blonde with freckles, soooo you know the drill. I did something that other's may find objectionable but it worked for me. For the first and only time, and I won't do it again until I am going on a cruise, I went to a tanning bed. I started slowww, 3 minutes..and just built up a little base. I was instructed to use the beds that have a little bit of both uva and uvb rays..and then I also used sunscreen, 50 spf. Even with all that I got a tiny bit pink on one shoulder but nothing painful and it was gone by the next day. I haven't been tanning since and won't until another cruise coming up. No flames please and remember its the burn that causes the skin cancer and I have had wayyyy too many of those as kid, which is why even with us having a beach house I haven't been in 8 years...yes folks 8 years and it's 100 miles from me. Anyway best of luck and do everything you can NOT to get burnt.

Not flaming you, dear -- just concerned. I really would consult a good dermatologist before using a tanning bed again. I'm not sure that sunburns are the only cause of sun-related skin cancer. :eek:

And, although the doc will most likely discourage you from that practice, he/she may have some useful suggestions about how to go out without getting burned. I can sympathize because my DH is very fair-skinned, too.

Good luck! :cool:

I was in the Med for two weeks last year, like you I am very pale (and blonde) so I tend to burn very badly.

I discovered a brand called Ultrasun. You just use it once a day. 15mins before you go in the sun, and it lasts all day! Even after swimming! I was so impressed.

You do not need to reapply it. They also do after sun, which can be used a week before going away as a tan accelerator. It's beautiful on the skin. (They even do a special one for the face)

I did take the traditional suntan lotions that you use over and over again during the day, in case Ultrasun didn't work, but I ended up giving them all away as I didn't need them!

As I travel solo, there do a clear gel spray, so can reach all the places needed ;)

I raved about it so much when I got back, that now all friends and family use it.

You only use it once a day, so less room needed when packing! More room for shoes lol

So, first can I say how excited I am?? Boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise November 14 to the Caribbean. Warm air, warm water, beach -- goodness it's my version of Heaven. BUT -- I'm super concerned about burning. I'm porcelain and I burn bad. I usually take the craziest precautions when I have beach vacations but obviously the Caribbean sun is way different. I literally bought 100+ sun screen (maybe that doesn't even work and it's psychological lol). Also have a nice big jug of Aloe.

I have a cute cover-up that won't cover my shoulders so that's more pool wear, for the actual beach I have a light, long-sleeved white button-up. If my legs get burnt, so be it, but my shoulders/back/face is Hell, usually gives me a fever -- from a typical burn, not a burned-so-bad-it's-sun-poisoning. I think I need to buy a floppy, wide-brimmed hat. I think I have one of those shirts you can wear in the water too. If I didn't throw it out x years ago I'll definitely be bringing it.

So to all my fair, pasty white friends, what measures do you take? Do my plans sound good or must I do more? ;):D

We just learned about this on our last cruise (my grandson was really burnt to the point he bubbled really bad)...but the thing to use to pull the burn out almost instantly is Noxema. Yes, the stuff you use on your face. It worked almost instant for him after days of nothing but crying because it hurt so bad. We (hubby, me and youngest daughter) usually don't burn too much and tan easily, but yes the Caribbean sun is "different" (no it's the same sun, but you are closer) and we sometimes burn a little. I will always be taking Noxema with me from now on!

(Sorry, not sure if anyone here mentioned this yet, I did not take the time to read all of the responses). :)

My daughter and I are both fair-skinned, freckles, red hair for her and blonde for me, we use the Banana Boat kids sunscreen lotion first and then use the spray to do the touch ups after being in the water. That's the key to preventing sunburn....reapply reapply and reapply. Ears, lips, hands, tops of feet!! Even if you don't think you are going to be in the sun that long, put some sunscreen on!

If you have your UV shirt wear it whenever you are out doing any water activities, it definitely makes a huge difference Just remember to apply sunscreen on your back and sides if you are wearing a bikini underneath as the shirt is liable to ride up in the back and you won't notice til it's too late. ( I didn't do that to my daughter and she ended up with a sunburn there)

Drink lots of water and apply a good after sun lotion your skin will thank you!!

I am now going through a very unpleasant treatment program from my dermatologist to head off probable skin cancer. In my younger days I was careless, and you should learn from my lesson. Do any preventive measures you can - sunscreen, hat, UV-proof swim wear, seek the shade, etc.

It is a balance. We have to love the world and our experience in it. You would have no danger if you lived in the basement like a mushroom, but you would not have much of a life either. Protect yourself from the sun every way you can, but enjoy the world.

So, first can I say how excited I am?? Boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise November 14 to the Caribbean. Warm air, warm water, beach -- goodness it's my version of Heaven. BUT -- I'm super concerned about burning. I'm porcelain and I burn bad. I usually take the craziest precautions when I have beach vacations but obviously the Caribbean sun is way different. I literally bought 100+ sun screen (maybe that doesn't even work and it's psychological lol). Also have a nice big jug of Aloe.

I have a cute cover-up that won't cover my shoulders so that's more pool wear, for the actual beach I have a light, long-sleeved white button-up. If my legs get burnt, so be it, but my shoulders/back/face is Hell, usually gives me a fever -- from a typical burn, not a burned-so-bad-it's-sun-poisoning. I think I need to buy a floppy, wide-brimmed hat. I think I have one of those shirts you can wear in the water too. If I didn't throw it out x years ago I'll definitely be bringing it.

So to all my fair, pasty white friends, what measures do you take? Do my plans sound good or must I do more? ;):D

I am late to the game, but if you burn badly.. I would order from a place like coolibar.

I burned on our trip to the Caribbean and I had only had sunburn on rare occasions before that. I reapplied sunscreen a lot and came prepared and really thought we were covered. Its a bit concern for me now whenever I am in the sun on a cruise.

Coolibar (and other similar brands) make long sleeve swim tops and pants. I would get a set to put on for extended beach time. It would allow you to enjoy the day without being sequestered from everything. With a set like that and a wide brimmed hat you could majorly cut down on your potential to burn but still be in the water and the sun. It would be more than worth the money to me.. because once I burn I can't be in the sun and that would ruin a vacation for me. I am all about the beach!

As a burn surviver, I have to very careful in the sun. I can even burn through windows! (exactly how is that possible?)

I wear long-sleeved shirts and a wide-brim Tilley hat (love that thing!). Chapstick with sunblock and SPF 30-45. I found a great cream that combines bug and sun protection for my legs/feet at the beach (no fly/flea bites!). And I stay out of the sun, at all possible, between 11 and 2.

If I do get burned...my got-to for relief is cortizone cream with aloe. Removes the inflamation and itch and moisturizes!

I will reiterate what others have posted is all great advice. I too am one of those pasty white people who go to a tanning salon before I go on a cruise or vacation in the Caribbean. If not, I burn and that just ruins the vacation as you all know. I have to be careful of my nose and ears (have short hair) when out in the sun. I get some zinc in the way of diaper cream - works like a charm. I don't want to look like Rudolph in the middle of the Caribbean but I could guide the ship in the dark if I didn't put on the zinc.:D

FYI, it is the sunscreen, not the base tan that is keeping you from burning. Even black skinned people can get sunburned.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I believe the tan helps. I know that sunscreen is what keeps you from getting burned. I think all people know that. It's kind if a no brainer

The tan actually represents damage to your skin. It just doesn't hurt you as much as the blistering burn does, but it's still damage.

Keep on doing this. Then you can be me when you're 65, covered with pre-cancerous cells. The only difference between you and me is nobody knew about this when I was young.

As a burn surviver, I have to very careful in the sun. I can even burn through windows! (exactly how is that possible?)

I wear long-sleeved shirts and a wide-brim Tilley hat (love that thing!). Chapstick with sunblock and SPF 30-45. I found a great cream that combines bug and sun protection for my legs/feet at the beach (no fly/flea bites!). And I stay out of the sun, at all possible, between 11 and 2.

If I do get burned...my got-to for relief is cortizone cream with aloe. Removes the inflamation and itch and moisturizes!

What's the name of the combo bug/sun protection?

From a fair skinned Texas girl...where the sun never seems to stop beating down - Yes! It's definitely possible to survive the Caribbean without burning.

Definitely look for some long sleeves with SPF built in - Columbia has some great fishing shirts for both men and women that are comfortable and cool. Also, if you're snorkeling, consider wearing a surf rash guard. There are quite a few with built in SPF, but it's also just a good physical barrier to the sun.

I burn right through most chemical based sunblocks (which is really unfortunate since they're SO easy to apply...). I've found that I do very well with the physical sunblocks that are primarily zinc oxide. They do give you a ghostly pallor though, so be sure to rub them in well...or look like a vampire, your choice...

Frequent application of broad spectrum sunscreen is only common sense -- I've had several melanomas and am now very careful. BullFrog SPF 36 is what my doctor urges -- also make sure it isn't left over from a few years ago - effectiveness fades with age. Put on at least 30 minutes before going out, and re-apply after sweating or swimming - also get in shade after a couple of hours, and wear clothes/hats as much as possible. A burn can ruin a vacation - the long term effects can be far worse.