NEW LIVE from the Royal 10/29-1//10

paulmichael

In all honesty I probably would have LOVED to have been there, as I really enjoy some decent shipspotting. Two years ago in Grand Cayman I was on one of six ships anchored in the harbor and that was pretty cool. :D

Hey, Dave. Thanks for the Port pics. I love seeing all of the ships, as well. St. Maarten does get crowded at times. The day before we port in December, there will be 8 ships and 22,500 passengers there! Fortunately, when the Royal docks there in December, there will only be around 12,000 passengers.

You probably know about this website, but I love using it. It lists all of the ports by location, day, month and year; the ships that are going to be in port; and the number of passengers. I find it handy:

ports dot cruisett dot com

I never know if I can post links or not to other sites!

Hope you have a great 14 days. And, I hope that other folks find this website as interesting as I do.

Paul

and when one of those ships is the Oasis/Allure with 6,000 pax and along with the Royal with 4,000...yikes! Wonder if anyone is tendering? I know in St. Thomas when more than a certain amount are in town they tender..

But like you, Dave, I enjoy looking at other ships too!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Just wondering why you had to get off the ship? When we did a b2b, all we did was go down to get our new cruise card checked in (they put our new cruise card in our mailbox the day before). They scanned it and we just went back upstairs. Never left the ship.

Just wondering why you had to get off the ship? When we did a b2b' date=' all we did was go down to get our new cruise card checked in (they put our new cruise card in our mailbox the day before). They scanned it and we just went back upstairs. Never left the ship.[/quote']

Where was that?

.....all of our many back to backs in FLL included getting off the ship and having to go thru US authorities, doing a "U" turn and then heading back on board, sometimes with a short wait.

The best time was when we were the only 2 passengers going B2B....talk about fast and easy:D

Just wondering why you had to get off the ship? When we did a b2b' date=' all we did was go down to get our new cruise card checked in (they put our new cruise card in our mailbox the day before). They scanned it and we just went back upstairs. Never left the ship.[/quote']

Betcha' it wasn't in Florida. ;)

I just wanted to add a personal experience my wife and I had when we boarded on 10/29. After dropping our stuff at our cabin we went to the main dinning room for lunch. When we arrived we were asked if we would like to share and we said yes. We were seated with a couple who were also on the TA. It turned out to be "billco" and his wife. I had been following Pia's live thread and having the chance to discuss evrything with them was fantastic. I think that this lunch kicked off what turned out to be a truly memorable cruise.

Thank You Billco!

Where was that?

.....all of our many back to backs in FLL included getting off the ship and having to go thru US authorities, doing a "U" turn and then heading back on board, sometimes with a short wait.

The best time was when we were the only 2 passengers going B2B....talk about fast and easy:D

Same experience we had in San Pedro last year when we did a B2B on the Sapphire. First part Mexico, second part Hawaii. We got off, went thru Customs, made a U turn, and then boarded with the BVE people.

i just wanted to add a personal experience my wife and i had when we boarded on 10/29. After dropping our stuff at our cabin we went to the main dinning room for lunch. When we arrived we were asked if we would like to share and we said yes. We were seated with a couple who were also on the ta. It turned out to be "billco" and his wife. I had been following pia's live thread and having the chance to discuss evrything with them was fantastic. I think that this lunch kicked off what turned out to be a truly memorable cruise.

Thank you billco!

Wow, I'm speechless. :D:D:D I'm glad your big surprise went off as planned. Edited by billco

You're right, Pia (and hi, by the way). hmmm....learn something new every day on these boards. It was Alaska. We did Northbound from Vancouver and then Southbound back to Vancouver. We even changed cabins so easily. Just took our clothes from the closet on the hangers to the new cabin and pulled out the drawers from the desk and switched them for the ones in the new cabin. Easy, breezy.....

BTW- We were on Caribe deck - aft - we had NO soot problem during our entire stay.

Looking forward to sail the Royal again as well as the Regal in Oct 2014!

thank you thank you thank you for including this. I have been leaning towards keeping my booking for an aft cabin and have been waiting with fingers crossed that there would be posts indicating that the soot is not a constant issue.

thank you thank you thank you for including this. I have been leaning towards keeping my booking for an aft cabin and have been waiting with fingers crossed that there would be posts indicating that the soot is not a constant issue.
We had Cabin D730 on this cruise. Our steward cleaned up the soot on the first day. We didn't notice a problem the rest of the cruise.

We had Cabin D730 on this cruise. Our steward cleaned up the soot on the first day. We didn't notice a problem the rest of the cruise.

Also good to hear billco.. thank you.. we have a dolphin aft book so I am getting much more peace of mind. Can you tell I am slightly obsessed with this:eek:. But I am feeling more and more confident with keeping the room. It is our first aft!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and comments on the Royal!

Where was that?

On a MSC cruise b2n Genoa we had to disembark also.

You're right' date=' Pia (and hi, by the way). hmmm....learn something new every day on these boards. It was Alaska. We did Northbound from Vancouver and then Southbound back to Vancouver. We even changed cabins so easily. Just took our clothes from the closet on the hangers to the new cabin and pulled out the drawers from the desk and switched them for the ones in the new cabin. Easy, breezy.....[/quote']

Since your were already in the USA on the cruise, when you reached the port for Anchorage there was no need for immigration.

Also good to hear billco.. thank you.. we have a dolphin aft book so I am getting much more peace of mind. Can you tell I am slightly obsessed with this:eek:. But I am feeling more and more confident with keeping the room. It is our first aft!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and comments on the Royal!

I would keep the cabin. The balcony is something like 10' by 10', half covered, has the larger table, and two footstools.

we are taking the Xmas cruise. have rooms c741 and c743. i see that you were in the aft cabins. how were the balconys?? cant wait

We recently returned from the 5-nite cruise. We loved the Royal Princess! Everything in our cabin worked. Loved the TV in the cabin. We also loved the "intranet" -it has a list of all the activities (one no longer if one has a smartphone/ipad), places to eat (and menus for specialty restaurants), cruise itinerary, general cruise info, and your folio.

BTW- We were on Caribe deck - aft - we had NO soot problem during our entire stay.

Looking forward to sail the Royal again as well as the Regal in Oct 2014!