where to sleep?

Where are those fellow cruisers who would gladly sleep on their balcony?

I think a piece of the pie just came out. It was a group booking. My next cruise is a group booking and I have never felt more uncared for or distant from having someone to talk with about my reservation. In fact, I had to go to great lengths and dunning the TA for a booking number and confirmation of my booking. They said to check my credit card statement!! I had to call RCCL myself to see if my reservation even was made. And, because of the group booking I could not make any reservations for onboard dining or excursions until I paid the full balance. The RCCL website locked me out.

I think these group bookings are flaky to begin with and I won't do it again.

This is what gives TA's a bad name. Whether your in a group booking or not - you deserve to be treated as an individual, you deserve to have your booking number, you deserve to have an invoice FROM ROYCAL CARIBBEAN - no exceptions.

So the mother of the bride was in a single? Is it possible that the TA doing the group booking put your child in the mother of brides room to avoid the single supplement? Thus RCI might not have known until you got on the ship that there were three in that room?

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

And I think we are getting closer to what really happened. I do sympathize with the OP and feel that he TA was not acting and still is not acting in his best interest.

So the mother of the bride was in a single? Is it possible that the TA doing the group booking put your child in the mother of brides room to avoid the single supplement? Thus RCI might not have known until you got on the ship that there were three in that room?

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, I wonder, too. Booking two in mother of bride's room and two in OP's room would give a lower fare; it saves that single supplement and makes it easy to place OP in an inexpensive gty cabin (rather than a potentially more expensive category that really holds three, as needed). And since the TA did not give the OP the cruise line invoice, the OP likely does not know just how the TA booked these cabins.

Goodness knows Royal Caribbean has some IT issues, so it is possible that the cruise line bumbled the gty assignment. The above alternate hypothesis is also plausible.

Either way, I hope the OP gets to the bottom of it and that the party at fault compensates his family.

And I think we are getting closer to what really happened. I do sympathize with the OP and feel that he TA was not acting and still is not acting in his best interest.

I don't think this is what happened at all. I believe that Royal made a mistake. Just like when the same thing happened on one of our Radiance cruises. My reservation was made direct with Royal for 3 people. We checked in and boarded the ship. Once we got to the room we discovered that it was only a double room. Royal did nothing to help as the ship was full. Their attitude was wait until tomorrow and we'll see if anyone did not show. For me waiting just delays finding a solution so I took control myself. I found a couple that had a similar room except theirs had a pull man and they agreed to switch with me.

All this speculating that it was the TA that played with guests names is ridiculous. The OP would not have been able to check in all 3 into the cabin at check in UNLESS all 3 were registered to that room. Otherwise one person in the party would have a seapass for a different room. That is not what the OP has said happened. Also Royal never would have given them a future cruise certificate of 25% if they were not at fault. What is worse it that Royal assigned the room!

I know for a fact that it happens as it happened to me and Royal did nothing to help when the problem was discovered. Unlike the OP I did not leave it in GS hands and simply asked the room steward which cabins near me could accommodate 3 people and had only 2 people registered in them. I then when to their cabins till I found a couple that were willing to switch with me.

It's sad that in both my situation and the OPs that GS did not think of this solution on their own. Not to mention that guest entertainers are often in guest cabins and could have easily been switched out to accommodate their guests. Other than the headliner acts that may have a specific cabin type in their contract there would have been a guest entertainer or another guest that could have switched cabins with the OP.

Now that the cruise is over the TA has really dropped the ball by providing no assistance to the OP. The OP should stick to their guns and get compensation that they are happy with. Both the TA and Royal need to step up and do right by their customer.

You mean to tell us that not ONE person (or couple) in a group of 25 had either a 3rd berth cabin or a sofa bed to either trade rooms or let you spend the night? Now THATS hard to believe.....not doubting your story but maybe your friends aren't very good friends LOL.:(

What is your point? The OP did not pay to 'share' someone else' cabin - he paid for his own. You know how wedding parties are...you know some of them and you don't know others, I sure as heck wouldn't want my child in the cabin of someone I didn't know - regardless:(

I have not heard back from RC or a response to my email to TA. I will be calling RC in 2 hours then calling TA.

Sorry, I don't have anything new to suggest, other than to keep after your TA and Royal Caribbean to do the right thing.

Hopefully, you and your family enjoyed the cruise, in spite of the cramped cabin.

It's too bad some resolution couldn't have been found, while you were still onboard the ship.

update:

SAs I said on board the shiip - I am on a RC ship not a TA ship. I faulted RC from the gate however, I was told daily my TA booked it and was at fault.

TA faults are not following up/checking the booking once room was assigned and poor post-cruise customer service communication.

Royal Caribbean is at fault for allowing 3 people to be placed in a room that only permits 2 max, not offering an acceptable solution on board and giving misleading information as to who’s fault and responsibility it was while onboard.

Last night RC said all they could do was 25% credit towards future cruise OR refund for 3rd passengers fee. VP of TA said if I was not happy with the offer to call him. After making that call, VP told me he was told 25% credit of passenger 1 & 2 and full refund of 3rd passenger . we hang up and he makes a call to clarify the offer. The manager I was quickly forwarded to by my original TA on day 1 of this post-cruise excitement called me back to clarify the offer and apologize. 25% credit for #1 and #2, full refund for #3 and $200 on-board credit on a future sailing on any cruise line.

After contacting the VP things changed dramatically. Funny how that works.

I am waiting until I have documentation of the final offer before I exhale. LOL

Edited by torqueathletics

Now that's more like it! That sounds much more fair; once you have it in writing it will be kosher. Thanks for sharing your ordeal and I am glad you are getting it sorted out. I hope you never have to go through so much stress and inconvenience again.

Never allow anyone to "Mushroom manage" you!

When you book with a travel agent it is the travel agents job to make sure everything is setup correctly. RCI does not manually audit every booking they get. While I understand this is frustrating and I would be upset as well, the issue is with your agent not RCI. Giving you a discount on your next cruise for someone elses mistake seems nice. They did not have to. Book directly with RCI next time and cut out the agent, same price.

When you book with a travel agent it is the travel agents job to make sure everything is setup correctly. RCI does not manually audit every booking they get. While I understand this is frustrating and I would be upset as well, the issue is with your agent not RCI. Giving you a discount on your next cruise for someone elses mistake seems nice. They did not have to. Book directly with RCI next time and cut out the agent, same price.

No one needed to manually audit this booking, the deckplans show that the cabin only sleeps 2, the software should never have allowed a third person to be booked in that cabin.

What is your point? The OP did not pay to 'share' someone else' cabin - he paid for his own. You know how wedding parties are...you know some of them and you don't know others, I sure as heck wouldn't want my child in the cabin of someone I didn't know - regardless:(

First of all I never suggested their child move to the other cabin, and no the OP did not pay to "share", any more than he paid to "sleep on the FLOOR". I think I would choose getting to know the rest of the wedding party over sleeping on the floor. This is neither a solution to his present problem, or any sort of accusation but I certainly would not have slept on the floor if there were a bed available....even if it was loaded with the brides extra luggage. It just sounds like someone was being stubborn, and that is unfortunate.

If I had booked as part of the wedding party with my hubby and looked forward to it as our vacation and the OP wasn't family or my best friend, call me selfish, but I didn't sign up to have someone else's teenager in my cabin if I had an extra bed in my room.

I can see where the OP wouldn't want to impose on others, especially someone they hardly knew. Even the mother of the bride. It would have been very awkward for both her and the teen, not sure if I missed whether the teen is a boy or girl.

Anyway, I have grown kids now but I would never asked someone if my kid could sleep in their room if it wasn't planned from the beginning that way. Like I said unless it was family or a really good friend.

First of all I never suggested their child move to the other cabin, and no the OP did not pay to "share", any more than he paid to "sleep on the FLOOR". I think I would choose getting to know the rest of the wedding party over sleeping on the floor. This is neither a solution to his present problem, or any sort of accusation but I certainly would not have slept on the floor if there were a bed available....even if it was loaded with the brides extra luggage. It just sounds like someone was being stubborn, and that is unfortunate.

I don't think one guest can decide they are simply going to now be assigned to another guests room; that isn't their call onboard. I booked an inside for March; I guess I'll just assign myself to stay in an Owners Suite if I feel that the beds in there aren't being used for the correct purpose? It is not incumbent on any other guest to make accomodations for OP, it is up to the cruiseline. Other people paid for their rooms/vacations too; they don't have to take responsibility for a stranger in their room.

If I had booked as part of the wedding party with my hubby and looked forward to it as our vacation and the OP wasn't family or my best friend, call me selfish, but I didn't sign up to have someone else's teenager in my cabin if I had an extra bed in my room.

100% agreed. As a paying guest this is not your problem to deal with; you don't have to accept the responsibility of an unknown party sharing your room. Not selfish at all. Not even close.

Glad to hear Royal is offering a fair resolution. Isn't it funny how things turned around once a little torque was applied to the VP? ba-dum-tishhhhh...I couldn't resist. :p

I hope your other-than-the-cabin-fiasco experience on Allure was terrific so you will, in fact, use that $ and give Royal another chance! You gotta admit, the workout facility was pretty nice as "hotel" gyms go. :D

Glad to hear Royal is offering a fair resolution. Isn't it funny how things turned around once a little torque was applied to the VP? ba-dum-tishhhhh...I couldn't resist. :p

I hope your other-than-the-cabin-fiasco experience on Allure was terrific so you will, in fact, use that $ and give Royal another chance! You gotta admit, the workout facility was pretty nice as "hotel" gyms go. :D

Here ya go.

http://instantrimshot.com/

update:

25% credit for #1 and #2, full refund for #3 and $200 on-board credit on a future sailing on any cruise line.

Thank you for the update. Now THAT compensation is more like it. You are very wise to get it in writing before you exhale!

I've been very impressed with your even-keeled approach & am happy things worked out in the end (sort of...)

Let's hope your next cruise goes more smoothly!

update:

SAs I said on board the shiip - I am on a RC ship not a TA ship. I faulted RC from the gate however, I was told daily my TA booked it and was at fault.

TA faults are not following up/checking the booking once room was assigned and poor post-cruise customer service communication.

Royal Caribbean is at fault for allowing 3 people to be placed in a room that only permits 2 max, not offering an acceptable solution on board and giving misleading information as to who’s fault and responsibility it was while onboard.

Last night RC said all they could do was 25% credit towards future cruise OR refund for 3rd passengers fee. VP of TA said if I was not happy with the offer to call him. After making that call, VP told me he was told 25% credit of passenger 1 & 2 and full refund of 3rd passenger . we hang up and he makes a call to clarify the offer. The manager I was quickly forwarded to by my original TA on day 1 of this post-cruise excitement called me back to clarify the offer and apologize. 25% credit for #1 and #2, full refund for #3 and $200 on-board credit on a future sailing on any cruise line.

Glad to see there was a resolution that was satisfactory to you. I must say some of the finger pointing to the OP on this thread is appalling and some down right disgusting. I hope they are never on the other end of a customer service issue I have.

update:

The manager I was quickly forwarded to by my original TA on day 1 of this post-cruise excitement called me back to clarify the offer and apologize. 25% credit for #1 and #2, full refund for #3 and $200 on-board credit on a future sailing on any cruise line.

Excellent. And it sounds like the Agency wants your future business based on the OBC added. Start planning your next adventure! :D

Glad to see there was a resolution that was satisfactory to you. I must say some of the finger pointing to the OP on this thread is appalling and some down right disgusting. I hope they are never on the other end of a customer service issue I have.

Totally agree.

There are many issues on ships but members are not willing to come on here and share their story cause of the sad people who just flame them.

Well done OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk