Royal TA--Ten Observations

Azjack

If you followed the wonderful “Live From…” started by Pia, with contributions from Pam, Bob and others, you should have a comprehensive view of life on the Royal Princess. I’d like to add a few comments of my own, without covering the same subjects they described so well. Not a review, but just 10 observations:

1)If you intend to eat at the Crown Grill, make your reservations early, because they are fully booked almost from the start. I suspect that this is due to the increase in freebies from Princess and TA’s. No apparent problem at Sabatini’s, where you can probably reserve for the same day, or even walk in. The food and service at both locations were well worth the extra charge.

2)Princess should give up on the waffle robes they supply. Even though they are only a few months old, they are shrunken and ratty. I suppose you could iron them to make them wearable, but who wants to do that.

3)Speaking of laundry, the laundry rooms are all toward the aft (one on each floor, I think). No quarters any more—you swipe your cruise card to get wash, dry, and soap tokens. This is fine until all the token machines break down. This happened at least twice, but everything was fixed by the second week.

4)We didn’t see many people eating at the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar, which is too bad. We stopped there twice for sushi and sashimi and it was very, very good. Didn’t try the salmon, caviar, or other seafood offered. Each time we ate there, the chef (Ernesto) added a special creation in addition to the food we ordered (Hawaiian poke, salmon roe and scallop sushi). Also wakame and edamame. The price was minimal.

5)The Crab Shack was also a hit with us. The food is “clambake” style—one steaming pot of seafood, potatoes, corn, sausage, etc. I had the crawfish—pinch the tail, suck out the head—and my wife had the mixed seafood. Both very enjoyable and nicely presented. This meal wasn’t offered at the back end of the cruise, so go early if you are interested. We didn’t try the Fondue.

6)Who thought that fake palm trees in the pool area would be attractive? Not only are they ugly and cheesy-looking, the branches and fronds blow off in the wind.

7) Due to an unfortunate accident, we had to make five or six visits to the Medical Area on Deck 4. The care provided by Dr. Belton and his staff was beyond excellent.

8)Elevator problems are well documented. Here are two elevator tales, both occurring on the “panoramic lifts” midship:

* Large, loud gentleman grumbling about the elevators for all to hear in a nearly full car. One more guy hurls himself into the elevator and tromps on the sandalled foot of Mr. Loud. One floor’s worth of apologies and obscene bellowing before the second guy exits in shame.

* Six people in the car as doors start to close. Man reaches arm in to halt the doors and board. Unfortunately, his hand holds a cup of coffee (unlidded because the IC ran out of lids and heat shields on about day 14). Door knocks entire cup of coffee (white chocolate latte, I think) on the feet and legs of the six passengers. Man steps back, allows doors to close and flees.

9) This is not meant to be racist, and no one should be offended, but I think I get better service from the East Asian crew than from the East European crew.

10) The on-demand entertainment in staterooms is a big improvement for Princess. Fifty or sixty movies, a hundred or so TV series episodes, live TV from BBC, Fox, MSNBC, ESPN, etc. Also, recent NFL games, and shipboard productions like the Wake Show and lectures.

Did we enjoy the cruise and the ship? Yes--so much so that we booked the Regal crossing next year.

Jack

Thanks for your list of observations!:D It was good to hear from someone that experienced the Crab Shack. I also enjoyed that second elevator story!laugh3.gif

I hope the medical issues were resolved and the injured are healing.:)

Thanks for your observations. Surprising that Crown Grill is almost booked and Sabatini is almost a walk in opportunity. I like them both and visit both on a cruise. I'm just surprised that one seems to be much more popular.

9) This is not meant to be racist, and no one should be offended, but I think I get better service from the East Asian crew than from the East European crew.

I agree and we keep hearing this from repeat passengers of all cruise lines.

I agree and we keep hearing this from repeat passengers of all cruise lines.

Again, this just is a generalization, but I've also found Asian crew members much more customer service-oriented than Eastern Europeans. I also have observed this during my land-based travels.

Again, this just is a generalization, but I've also found Asian crew members much more customer service-oriented than Eastern Europeans. I also have observed this during my land-based travels.

I have to disagree, you can`t judge an entire group by one or 2 experiences. I have enjoyed especially on long cruises not only the service but the enjoyayable companionship of the (as you refer) E. European crew. I must say Princess as a whole does a wonderful job with whom they hire.

Great observations...we loved the Royal and look forward to sailing her again in the future as well. The palm tree leaves blew off on our cruise as well!!

Since it's fall in most parts of the country at the moment, i'd say those fake palms are just jealous they're not turning color before they let loose and fly! :D

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have found the Eastern European staff to be greatly improved over the last couple of years. On my last Crown cruise I only gave 'you made a difference' cards to Eastern Europe staff. A couple of years ago it was a different story.

I work with many nationalities on a daily basis from Brazilian to Russian to Chinese and each and every one of them is different in their general demenour but all of them do the jobs they need to, and do them well.

Thanks for the observations". Will avoid the elevators like the plague!

What is the cover cost for the Crab Shack and Seafood Bar?

Thanks!

The Crab Shack was $20 pp, and it always said in the patter that reservations were required.

The Seafood Bar items are sold "a la carte" - and prices varied depending on what you order.

Thanks for the observations". Will avoid the elevators like the plague!

What is the cover cost for the Crab Shack and Seafood Bar?

Thanks!

The fore and aft ones shouldn't be a problem except the day of embarkation.:)

The fore and aft ones shouldn't be a problem except the day of embarkation.:)
The issue with the fore and aft elevators is that the Up and Down buttons on each deck are not coordinated: one button for the two on the port side, one button for the two on the starboard side. So, people wind up pushing both buttons which means that when they get on an elevator on one side, the elevator on the other will still stop. This slows down both banks of elevators because they become "locals." Then, people on the elevator get impatient and push the close button as soon as the door opens. To add to the frustration, the elevator dings but the light often doesn't go on so you haven't a clue which elevator on which side is opening because the only way you can tell is to stand way back so you can see the floor indicators for all of the elevators. Then it's a mad scramble to get to the elevator before the door closes. For some reason, the elevator Up and Down lights seem to go out often.

The whole elevator situation is a mess. IMHO, they are poorly programmed.

The issue with the fore and aft elevators is that the Up and Down buttons on each deck are not coordinated: one button for the two on the port side, one button for the two on the starboard side. So, people wind up pushing both buttons which means that when they get on an elevator on one side, the elevator on the other will still stop. This slows down both banks of elevators because they become "locals." Then, people on the elevator get impatient and push the close button as soon as the door opens. To add to the frustration, the elevator dings but the light often doesn't go on so you haven't a clue which elevator on which side is opening because the only way you can tell is to stand way back so you can see the floor indicators for all of the elevators. Then it's a mad scramble to get to the elevator before the door closes. For some reason, the elevator Up and Down lights seem to go out often.

The whole elevator situation is a mess. IMHO, they are poorly programmed.

Hopefully they will get this fixed along with the tech problems with the internet "soon".:)

We will be doing it in April.

Here's my take on the programs/lectures (my opinions only---everyone's taste is different):

John Maxtone-Graham-- excellent maritime history series. Well presented.

Jules Talerico-- a series of lectures by an experienced naturalist. A little heavy on the science, and light on the nature. Style was high school biology teacher.

Jeana Rogers-- travel and related subjects. She also did port lectures on the first half of the cruise. Her style just didn't appeal to me, so i just caught her series on tv where I could use the OFF button.

Art lectures-- the Art Director gave a few presentations that I enjoyed, although I wish there was more on classical rather than modern art. But, Princess is not selling classical art.

Photography classes--the Photo staff gave a couple of classes on digital photography that were well done and well attended. Wish there were more.

Culinary Demo-- Chef Alfredo Marzi gave a nice presentation. He is a real personality.

I'd like to see more coverage of technical subjects like digital photography, internet, computers/tablets. A series like that would have broad appeal, I think.

Jack

I'd like to see more coverage of technical subjects like digital photography, internet, computers/tablets. A series like that would have broad appeal, I think.

Jack

They used to do all that regularly Jack, but charged for them. I imagine that eventually people decided they just didn't want to pay for "classes."

Here's my take on the programs/lectures (my opinions only---everyone's taste is different):

John Maxtone-Graham-- excellent maritime history series. Well presented.

Jules Talerico-- a series of lectures by an experienced naturalist. A little heavy on the science, and light on the nature. Style was high school biology teacher.

Good summary.

Sadly, for those who have attended John Maxtone Graham's lectures in the past, he seems to have visibly lost a step. His knowledge is prodigious and awesome but there was quite a bit of lost train of thought, forgotten names, and hesitation that I hadn't seen before. :( His lectures were still great. He has wit and charm, a true raconteur.

I went to one of Jules' lectures and felt like I was in class. Impressive amount of technical information that lost me as I tried to follow it. It was kind of like reading the prologue of a James Michener novel. Lots of facts and data, less context.

Good summary.

Sadly, for those who have attended John Maxtone Graham's lectures in the past, he seems to have visibly lost a step. His knowledge is prodigious and awesome but there was quite a bit of lost train of thought, forgotten names, and hesitation that I hadn't seen before. :( His lectures were still great. He has wit and charm, a true raconteur.

I went to one of Jules' lectures and felt like I was in class. Impressive amount of technical information that lost me as I tried to follow it. It was kind of like reading the prologue of a James Michener novel. Lots of facts and data, less context.

I've known Jules and Joanne for many years and his lectures are good. IF you are interested in the subject. Mike attended a few and napped during a few :D

East Asia is outlined in the following map:

data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,fLJgRPmQCE9JhjexHm51c8YiCFZbQHAg4TVO1_YFjF4AkkoS7RuGufAMqorTikFkMrSeq9RG2CRRaKTxI2w2ePZdEzhOPpqXr7YS-G-7xuVdobvxnrFdS_HUCw2m09Ktjd37k7vPfcVcss2hLuZNZ_75SjDnF3yAzBo5Y4b-k7JdyJgJumGPKRQCVkvUft6EE8PfcgiF&w=454&h=160

The only Japanese crew member I have ever met onboard a ship was the executive sushi chef on Crystal, and he was terrific, not only skilled, but extremely polite. But Japan is a first world country, so cruise lines are unlikely to be able to afford Japanese as crew members; unfortunate for cruisers, fortunate for Japanese.

The only Mongolian crew member I have ever met was a delightful Mongolian Russian woman on Oceania. So it's hard to say whether she would be considered East Asian (as she looked) or East European, as is her nationality (she first said she was Russian, and then clarified the details).

So far, I have not encountered any Chinese or South Korean crew members on any of my cruises.

Is it possible you might be referring to South Asian or Southeast Asian crew? There is much poverty in these areas; therefore, cruise lines can afford to hire the people. Goa, on the east coast of India, is a source of many crew members on many lines, and I find them to be uniformly very competent, very service-oriented. There are also a lot of Filipinos and Indonesians that staff ships. I would give them—as a group, and very much "in general"—very mixed reviews, with some terrific and others not so much.

Could you describe which countries you are referring to as Eastern European? It's a huge area with many different customs and peoples, and some of the people tend to be "warmer" and/or more charming (eg. Hungarians) and some tend to be very "cool" (eg. those who come from countries bordering the Baltic). Even so, individuals of all groups and ethnicities are just that: individuals.

Archived