Child Care on NCL

Nikkimouse76

Hello All,

My family and I (3 children ages 7, 5, and 4) will be setting sail on the Norwegian Breakaway on Dec 1. My husband and I have not cruised since we were young and carefree, you know, the times where we did not even consider child care :). I am curious about the child care program on board, "The Splash Academy". Does anyone have any opinions, and or tips they care to share? Does the staff in the academy go through any type of background check? This will be my 6th or 7th cruise, however the last cruise I set sail on was in 2005, and cruising back then was much different than it is now, at least from what I have read. I look forward to your responses!

Thanks so much in advance.

I have been cruising for years... 45+ cruises on many lines, including NCL. I would not let such young children out of my site on a cruise but then again I am a Grandmother. Happy cruising with your family. :)

I have been cruising for years... 45+ cruises on many lines, including NCL. I would not let such young children out of my site on a cruise but then again I am a Grandmother. Happy cruising with your family. :)

I know it might not be intentional, but this really sounds like a bit of scare-mongering. Thousands of families (mine included) have used the childcare facilities on ships and our children have been safe and they have had a good time. We've sailed many different lines and all of them have strict security procedures - it's not like the children can wander off by themselves, and getting access to your child at pickup is very regulated. Even if your child is standing there, calling you "Mommy", if you don't have your card, you can't pick them up. They are all very strict. Of the staff that I've spoken to, they have all had criminal record checks and extra training to work with small children - I don't think a cruiseline with a target demographic for families will take chances with this.

Please keep in mind that while cruises are family holidays, adults need their time alone too. Most adults I know don't retire to bed at 9pm. Letting the kids spend some time in a kids program is often more fun for them than being dragged to yet another boring 90 minute dinner. During the late-night sessions, the staff would put out mats and blankets for "sleepover" and we could pick our kids up on the way back to our cabin after a night out.

My kids *begged* to go to the kids clubs - they loved meeting new kids to play with, plus they liked having lots to do and being able to try new things. Of course you need to be mindful - a cruise ship isn't a special crime-free fairyland, and of course you need to watch them in the pools and on slippery decks, but you would do this anyway at home!

I've never felt like my kids were unsafe in the kids club. I hope you have a fantastic holiday and that all of you have a lot of fun. Good luck with your planning!

Hello All,

My family and I (3 children ages 7, 5, and 4) will be setting sail on the Norwegian Breakaway on Dec 1. My husband and I have not cruised since we were young and carefree, you know, the times where we did not even consider child care :). I am curious about the child care program on board, "The Splash Academy". Does anyone have any opinions, and or tips they care to share? Does the staff in the academy go through any type of background check? This will be my 6th or 7th cruise, however the last cruise I set sail on was in 2005, and cruising back then was much different than it is now, at least from what I have read. I look forward to your responses!

Thanks so much in advance.

You can check out the information on ncl's website as it has all your answers, but in a nutshell, yes their staff are well qualified for their positions. They all have background checks, formal education in child development and emergency training. DH is a vice principal and we have no issues at all about leaving our children in the NCL kids club. Our oldest loves it and begs to go, our youngest will go occasionally but they always have fun. What I love about the NCL staff is that they get to know the children, I've been very impressed at some of the details they have learned about our children, which they would only find out by sitting and talking to them. That's what has made me most confident about trusting these people with my children :)

Do go over to the family forum, there are many experienced NCL cruisers over there who can give you recent experiences on Breakaway. We don't sail her until March :(

I took my first cruise 45 years ago at the tender age of 7. We were on the SS France from New York to Le Harve. My parents dropped me off every day at the children's play area. I had a great time.

What was really different from then until now is that there was a separate dining room just for children. My sister and I ate there every meal. You don't see that any more!

Aloha,

John

Archived