Is the Explorer getting a glass roof over the Solarium?

In fact I believe that it can't have one because the added weight would change the center of gravity of the ship (or something like that). Someone with more knowledge than me will come tell me I'm wrong very quickly if I am.

I saw a post a couple of years ago from somebody who was a marine engineer. He claimed that adding a movable dome would drastically raise the center of gravity very high up and would endanger the stability of the vessel if it started to oscillate.

The Celebrity S ships with their lighter weight glass roofs over the Solarium pool are a different kettle of fish. A fixed roof is much lighter then a movable dome and the ships were designed to hold the extra weight high up.

• 11 months later...

Bugger, really like that Radiance and Rhapsody have the enclosed roof in the solarium. Means you can go there anytime, any weather (hot or cold) and also don't have to apply sunscreen!

Booked on Explorer Dec next year, and that will be a little bit of a let down I think.

Unless ofcourse if they decide to put in a light weight roof when in dry-dock between now and then!!

Hazy, the side areas of the Solarium are covered by the deck above. Just the pool area is uncovered. Of course you can't get a tan there, but you can enjoy a lounge with an ocean view.

Yes, thanks. Searched down some video, that's good but also prefer the roof over. It's a favorite place for us to go and it's nice not to have to do the whole sunscreen thing...

In fact I believe that it can't have one because the added weight would change the center of gravity of the ship (or something like that). Someone with more knowledge than me will come tell me I'm wrong very quickly if I am.

This is my understanding too.