Flying A Kite

RWayne

No, I don't bring my kite... but I bring my parachute so I can para-sail off the back of the ship.

LOL ... shame I don't still have my parachuting gear ... I sold it all after my accident in '99. Or, I guess I should say it's a shame I didn't still have it when I missed the Rotterdam on my first cruise in March, 2004. Since I only missed it by an hour or so, I could have paid a pilot to fly me over the Rotterdam and just jumped aboard. Would have saved me the expense of flying to Costa Rica to meet up with the ship. :)

LOL ... now that would have been an amazing story for the other passengers to tell. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Anybody ever fly a kite from the balcony? The aft deck?

Actually, yes, but from their balcony and it got stuck in another balcony. There were stern words in the next day's Princess Patter. Could be dangerous.

I flew a kite off the fantail of Constitution, way back in 12-84, but was asked to stop by ship's staff. They did not want it tangled up in ship's rigging/lights.

Reference fishing from the ship, it is not at all uncommon to see ship's crew fishing from their lower decks, aft, albeit usually in port.

It is a safety issue really. Lose it in the ocean, it's bad for the environment, getting it tangled in the ship in some way, not good either.

A group of us flew kites off the Summit in 2002, with the ship's permission, but afterwards everyone was saying it really wasn't a good idea. We did lose one or two in the ocean, not a good thing, but it was fun!

Susie

We flew three different kites ( all different sizes ) from our Princess cruise last December. We flew it off the Dolphin deck aft, and with permission. We did not lose any kites...husband is a bit of an expert. Actually this was one of the highlghts of our 15 day Panama cruise (Regal). It does take a little technique. I wouldn't recommend it from a balcony. Too much wind. But from the aft you can get a kite in the air pretty easily. My husband had one kite out over a mile. There was no danger from back there. After all, the wind is pulling it away from you.

I did a transatlantic on Windstar a few years back and there were people both kite flying and deep sea fishing off the back of the ship. It was kinda cool to watch...

The Captain came down and chatted a few times - but then again, Windstar is a very relaxed cruise line -

I especially like their open bridge policy :)

I have never tried this from a "traditional" cruise ship. But when we were down in Antarctica (small ship, former icebreaker).....on the same evening we had our outdoor BBQ on the aft deck--at 26 degrees F and with a bit of snow flurries....I flew a kite. Sounds stupid, but I was as excited as a little kid doing it! :D

Archived