CCD - Cancelled Cruise Depression

Ok everyone. We all know we suffer from PCD. But I've never had to experience CCD in my life, until now. We sail Explorer every year. Last year while on the ship, we booked this year's cruise. About a month ago, my father got a new job and is unable to take a lengthy vacation right now, so we had to cancel. It is our annual family vacation, which consists of myself, my husband, my daughter, and my parents.

When I had to make the phone call to cancel, I was devastated. We were supposed to sail in less than two weeks, on Nov 14th. As the date gets closer, it's getting harder for me. The average un-cruising person doesn't understand what I'm going through, lol. Yes I've cruised a lot in life, and yes we have another cruise planned on Quantum in December of NEXT year, 2014, but all year long I've been soooo looking forward to this one for various reasons because of things going on this year.

I've never cancelled a cruise before in my life. Or any vacation for that matter. The thought of that ship sailing away without me on the 14th is really going to suck. And it was going to be our very last time on Explorer. We've been sailing her since '03 and we were looking forward to saying goodbye to our favorite crew members.

So....any suggestions on how to deal on the 14th from those that have cancelled before?? lol. Call me a spoiled brat, say what you want....but for many reasons, I've been looking forward to this cruise like you wouldn't believe. And this was going to be my parent's treat for us this year, so when they had to cancel, we had to also. I've had many surgeries recently and we have tons of medical bills and we can't afford to pay for this ourselves this time. I am seriously heartbroken and extremely sad. My husband thinks I am a mental case. lol!!

Do I watch the sail away? Do I go to work like usual? Do I go away for the day? Zumba is my all-time therapy, so I'm definitely going to my class that morning lol. But come sail away time, it's not going to be pretty lol.

What is your experience?

I had to cancel a cruise once because my daughter picked her wedding date over the same time period. I was sad as it was with a great group of people cruising from SF to Alaska. Best way around it is book something soon to make up for it if the one in 2014 is too far away. Cruise twice next year if you can. :)

It's bad. It's very bad. I've had to cancel two cruises, one on the day of sailing because my travel companion fell ill (thank goodness for travel insurance), the other due to financial pressures, well before final payment. In the latter case, I couldn't even plan another cruise for quite some time, which was really hard.

Because that's the only thing that makes it better... planning the next cruise! I'd focus on the upcoming quantum cruise... plan your outfits, shore excursions, play lists, make a list of what to do onboard... etc, etc.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I can understand what you're gong through. My dh and I were going to take a couples cruise. Grandma was to watch our dd. Well, my poor MIL was diagnosed with breast cancer about a month before our cruise and we just couldn't go through with it. She was to watch our dd, and even though, in the end, she could have, it just didn't feel right under the circumstances. We cancelled w/o insurance.

You're right. The day of departure was very difficult. But, we survived. Of course, I tried to look at the big picture. My MIL's health and being there to support her, was more important than my vacation.

However, it sounds like you've been through a lot this year, yourself. Just be good to yourself. Maybe you can do a shorter, cheaper, closer to home vacation. Also, remember you will get your cruise. You just have to wait a little longer.

Cheers!

Koohiichan

This week was my third cancelled cruise in as many years. Twice before due to family medical issues. This Sunday I was to sail Freedom of the Seas. Instead my DH had his gallbladder out. I watched the ship sail away on my iPad feeling very sad. Thank goodness my DH's surgery was successful and I will rebook for next year. Maybe year four is a charm.

You are not a spoiled brat and I totally understand how you feel :(

I had to cancel a cruise this time last year on the Freedom of the Seas and it devastated me. When the sail date approached, I felt even worse. You have done the only thing you can do, and that's to have another cruise to look forward to.

Hang in there for the Quantum, it will be great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry for you and your CCD, Christie! I can imagine how traumatic it was to cancel this special longtime family tradition on the Explorer. Since your father has a new job (and finances don't allow you to cruise at this time), I would suggest just trying to focus on all the positives:

*Your dad has a brand new job. (Your dad has employment!).

*I hope the surgeries mean (much better) health for you.

*You are booked on the brand new QUANTUM for just over a year from now, post up a fun countdown clock!

I would go to Zumba that morning, work as usual, watch the sailaway- as you wish the wonderful crew well for the future. Perhaps you'll run across some of them on a future cruise! Maybe take a look through photos of your past Explorer sailings and reminisce. Some folks have never had the pleasure to board her once, and you have ten years of memories. Then call your parents and tell them how you are looking forward to the next family cruise when the time is right!

If budget allows and you live close enough, maybe book a Hornblower cruise to get you out on the water before Old Man Winter arrives? Here is their website http://hornblowernewyork.com/.

p.s. I had to cancel a cruise once due to an injury only a few days prior to departure.

Wow, you guys are great!! Thank you to every single one of you. I knew someone would understand!! lol

It's just been a very tough year and a half. Yes, all of my surgeries do mean better health for me, definitely. And it definitely helps just knowing you're not the only one to feel a certain way lol. As ridiculous as it might seem sometimes!! You can't always help the way you feel. But yes, there are many positives to focus on and yes I do have Quantum to look forward to, even though that seems light years away. It's still something! More than some people will have.

I'll just have to really decide what to do the 14th. Maybe hit Zumba and then take a day trip to Atlantic City boardwalk or maybe even Cape May or Wildwood. We'll see. Just check back with me then and make sure I'm still among the living!! lol (kidding, of course) Although, if I jump off the Verrazano and time it juuuust right, Explorer may just happen to be below me! Hmmmm....... ;)

Sent from my iPad

Zumba will help a lot ;)

Sorry you had to cancel. We've never had to cancel a cruise and not go on another one. Twice I've had Ohio State take charter a cruise I booked and had to make a switch, and I booked both Adventure and Jewel on different weeks until I knew which week would work with my daughters (unknown at booking) college calendar. The only one where I've felt the sting of CCD, is having to put off an Antarctica sailing from 2016 till 2017. I was hoping we could book,that this summer for early 2016. But we realized that our youngest would only be in her first year of college and we couldn't sail during her first winter break, and we couldn't take the chance of booking ahead and canceling because those expedition cruise deposits are big and non refundable. So on that one, we have to wait, even though I'd rather go sooner.

I'm glad to hear you will try Quantum, it should be worth the wait!:D

Happy Zumba!

It's not clear why you can't go anyway? Just because one person in a group can't go, doesn't mean the rest have to stay home. Or you can rebook a cruise for a time when everyone can go.

I was sort of wondering the same thing. My son just got a new job and doesn't have time to go on a cruise this month. I'm still going though (so is my Mom and StepDad). I wish he was going, but understand his situation (I will miss him). In reality, he would probably feel bad if didn't go. He knows how much I love cruising and wouldn't want to be the reason why I didn't go.

It stinks to cancel a cruise that you've really been looking forward to. :( Sometimes knowing that you have a break from the stresses of daily life is what helps you deal with things while you're waiting for your cruise date, so when that goes away, there's nothing there to look forward to anymore.

Now this is definitely a first world problem, no doubt. :p But still, it is a big disappointment.

I would definitely do something nice for yourself that day. Go to your Zumba class, then have something FUN planned for the rest of the day, even a few small fun things. Taking a ride to AC sounds good! When I lived in NJ I used to go there to walk the boardwalk and get a bite at the HRC. :cool:

Then maybe go to a movie that night, or plan a girls' night, or something. Treat yourself to some flowers, a nice bottle of wine, just something to console yourself with.

A blue drink is always fun!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJyzfI-HIrTZiV6b0hbkFsJN_VVEGcHZgh-0u5DT5UcYoaOHv-

My next cruise is booked for next September and because we *may* change that to a land vacation instead, I'm making myself stay away from the planning forums or even thinking about the excursions, etc. It's so easy for us (the general "us") to get really attached to the vacations that we plans for months in advance.

I'm glad that the people here are understanding. :)

P.S. Or you could always head north to visit your aunt; I hear she's pretty nice and a lot of fun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxJu6Q38BMkqG1lEfZZxdPnB0Ff_s66cd7zzIU6yzt-iKPCyJ0-w

I didn't realize you underwent multiple surgeries! Wishing you good health and many more cruises in your future!!! FYI - I cancelled my Freedom cruise last November for similar reasons......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not clear why you can't go anyway? Just because one person in a group can't go, doesn't mean the rest have to stay home. Or you can rebook a cruise for a time when everyone can go.

It appears that the dad who can't go was also footing the bill. Otherwise, I see no reason why OP couldn't go, but that's a pretty good reason.

I was sort of wondering the same thing. My son just got a new job and doesn't have time to go on a cruise this month. I'm still going though (so is my Mom and StepDad). I wish he was going, but understand his situation (I will miss him). In reality, he would probably feel bad if didn't go. He knows how much I love cruising and wouldn't want to be the reason why I didn't go.

I reread everything and realized you said it was your "parents treat". I guess I blocked that part out. It is horrible to think about cancelling a cruise. I am sorry to have previously posted a somewhat insensitive comment before. I definitely understand not being able to cruise because of a financial situation. If it wasn't for family, I would not be going on my cruising either.

That being said, I always try finding a positive perspective in any situation. The extra year that you have will make the Quantum that much more special.

I am not the biggest fan of living in the winter. Years that I couldn't cruise, I did do some tanning to get the feeling of being in the warm sun. I know it is not the healthiest thing, but I look at it as being out in the regular sun. Just helps gt through the winter. I'm always shocked how recharged I feel after about 10 minutes in one of those things.

You can always simulate a cruise evening:

- Heat up a room

- turn on a fan for a breeze

- Play reggae music

- Make a few frozen drinks

- invite a few friends to join you for your "mock cruise"

I've had to cancel several cruises ... I even had RCI cancel one on me due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. Frankly, it helps to treat it as a postponement, not a cancellation. Whatever you do, don't watch sail away. That's just adding salt to the wound.

The cancellation that happened days before sail-away was like a sucker punch. We were already packed. We still talk about how glum we were for the following two weeks. But we did it to ourselves by dwelling on it. I wish I could think of a magic way to refocus on something positive. I know I failed to bounce back until after the sailing would have returned to port. I wish you more success than I had. I cancelled my vacation days and returned to work as usual, because it helps to stay busy. I can't imagine how depressing it would have been to just stay home for the week.

And if you decide to watch sail-away, I fear you will seal your fate.

We also had to cancel a cruise years ago. I cried for days. It was a lot worse than I thought it would be, and I really went through a pretty serious depression. We didn't book another cruise for a couple of years after that. That was a tough time and I hope I never have to cancel another but you just never know. Stuff happens. :(

I'm going to have to cancel a cruise on Monday. DH tripped last Wednesday while jogging. At first they said a total hip replacement. Then they had to back off from that because he had a stent inserted in July and the medicine to acclimate it to his body needs anywhere from 6-12 months to work. If he has surgery that involves a lot of blood, then there is a 40% chance he would have a clot get into it and a fatal heart attack on the table.

So, instead, today they put in three screws which is apparently not as invasive (like not so much blood). We were to leave on Thursday to fly to Barcelona for the last TA back into Galveston, our home area. They are going to revisit it in three or so months when the medicine has done its job on the stent and consider a total hip replacement then.

Now I am worried about our April TA we have booked. I have not bought insurance for it yet because I have not put out any money that can't be refunded. It is not a cheap cruise and insurance, when we booked, would have been in the $400 range. We booked it as soon as the itinerary came out--over a year ago.

Unless we can go 60 or more days with no issues from the hip, then I can't get pre-existing coverage. I'm not about to go to Europe with a husband with a bum hip and not a whole lot of insurance.

Thought about cancelling it now and then rebooking it in a few weeks and immediately buy insurance but not sure that would be "legal." Plus the cost has gone up $300+ per person.

Keep your fingers crossed we can make that one. We have insurance on this one so only out the premium and whatever it will cost to redeposit our frequent flyer miles.

The fall could have been a lot worse--head injury when he went down and not due to any medical problem other than "clumsy."

Tucker in Texas

Edited by Tucker in Texas

I totally understand your plight. We cancelled an October B2B because we had an immediate family member in the last stage of T-cell lymphoma. As final payment date approached, a decision was made to reschedule (a 6 month time span). After her passing I spent a copious amount of time lurking on "those" roll calls. Bit by bit that changed as I stepped up my research for the cruise at hand. Now I have tooooo much info (if there's any such thing) that needs to be organized. So, maybe you can become "addicted" to researching everything about the Quantum i.e. menus in all venues, entertainment, staterooms, deck plans, strategic sail away spots, ports of call, etc. Another approach to dealing with a rescheduled cruise.....giving back. Oftentimes, we help ourselves while helping others.

Hopefully, you will be able to find what works for you.

By the way, enjoy that Quantum cruise...you've earned it!!

Christie.....I'm so sorry you had to cancel. Many years ago, we had to cancel a cruise, which would have been our second one, when one of our daughters announced her engagement. The cost of the cruise, with all of its additional travel expenses, on top of a wedding, was impossible for us to manage. Calling to cancel that cruise broke my heart, and it ended up being 5 years between our first and second cruises.

Several years later our second daughter announced her engagement, and they planned a destination wedding on a Caribbean island. We had been in the midst of planning a cruise, but by that time, we could manage both.

So, my advice is to go to Zumba, treat yourself to a massage, and pour yourself your favorite tropical drink, and toast your future cruise that is being planned for next year.

Christie, I feel your pain! We were supposed to be on the Explorer TODAY, but had to cancel a week before final payment due to my husband's job. Then it turned out after we rescheduled for December that the reason we cancelled didn't exist anymore. At that point we couldn't switch back because of the price increase since our original booking.

Ok everyone. We all know we suffer from PCD. But I've never had to experience CCD in my life, until now. We sail Explorer every year. Last year while on the ship, we booked this year's cruise. About a month ago, my father got a new job and is unable to take a lengthy vacation right now, so we had to cancel. It is our annual family vacation, which consists of myself, my husband, my daughter, and my parents.

When I had to make the phone call to cancel, I was devastated. We were supposed to sail in less than two weeks, on Nov 14th. As the date gets closer, it's getting harder for me. The average un-cruising person doesn't understand what I'm going through, lol. Yes I've cruised a lot in life, and yes we have another cruise planned on Quantum in December of NEXT year, 2014, but all year long I've been soooo looking forward to this one for various reasons because of things going on this year.

I've never cancelled a cruise before in my life. Or any vacation for that matter. The thought of that ship sailing away without me on the 14th is really going to suck. And it was going to be our very last time on Explorer. We've been sailing her since '03 and we were looking forward to saying goodbye to our favorite crew members.

So....any suggestions on how to deal on the 14th from those that have cancelled before?? lol. Call me a spoiled brat, say what you want....but for many reasons, I've been looking forward to this cruise like you wouldn't believe. And this was going to be my parent's treat for us this year, so when they had to cancel, we had to also. I've had many surgeries recently and we have tons of medical bills and we can't afford to pay for this ourselves this time. I am seriously heartbroken and extremely sad. My husband thinks I am a mental case. lol!!

Do I watch the sail away? Do I go to work like usual? Do I go away for the day? Zumba is my all-time therapy, so I'm definitely going to my class that morning lol. But come sail away time, it's not going to be pretty lol.

What is your experience?

Ask your Father if he is up to a Trans Atlantic Cruise this Spring? I'm sure he could work it out with his new boss. I'm sorry you had to cancel. The Trans Atlantic Cruise would make up for the week you lost and have an additional week onboard.

I'm going with my Father on the Splendour Of The Seas from Brazil-Barcelona. Check out this itinerary. If not look for a cruise from New Orleas-Europe. Enjoy some time in Europe then fly home.

So so sorry to hear this Christie!!! I know first hand how much you love the Explorer. While we haven't cancelled a cruise we sometimes flip them to another date to accommodate what ever has come up in our world. Being a parent caretaker has its challenges for sure. I am glad you are on the mends. Seems like this past year has had its medical challenges for us all. I watched sail away on the the cruise we were to be on and had to change and I missed sailing with Meg, Radio and the mrs. and MedicKen..but I got to live it thru Radio's live report.

Look forward to boarding the Quantum. You never know when a cruise opportunity just might happen for you....

Glad to know you are doing alright and looking forward to cruising again.