Where to stay in Rome and Venice

Chris's girl

Hi all. We just booked a 14 day Eastern Med - Greek Isles for next September. So excited. We are staying 2 nights in Rome before we cruise.

We have never been there. DH would like to stay somewhat near the cruise port if that is possible. Any ideas for a nice hotel that is not too expensive ?

After the cruise we will stay 1 night in Venice. Any recommendations near the airport?

Thank you!!!

After you get the recs on the Italy ports of call board, go to tripadvisor.com for additional recent reviews and ideas. Have fun. We stayed at Al Codega in Venice for three extra nights. Great location and value. We took the boat to the airport very early in the A.M. A neat experience if you choose not to stay on the "mainland".

DH would like to stay somewhat near the cruise port if that is possible. Any ideas for a nice hotel that is not too expensive ?

I agree with WeBeGone that you should post on the Italy Ports Board.

To answer your question, the port of Rome is actually in Civitavecchia...about 1:15 from Rome by train. I'd recommend you stay in Rome as there's much more to see and do there and then arrange transportation to Civitavecchia for embarkation.

Lew

I agree with WeBeGone that you should post on the Italy Ports Board.

To answer your question, the port of Rome is actually in Civitavecchia...about 1:15 from Rome by train. I'd recommend you stay in Rome as there's much more to see and do there and then arrange transportation to Civitavecchia for embarkation.

Lew

Totally agree that if you are flying into Rome, just stay there and enjoy the time. It's a huge city with good transportation (if you have a map)..you can hit tons of spots to see and experience. Or arrange some nice day tours on your own.

Arrange your trip to the port the day you board. Lots of info on the Italy board.

I'd rec that you get a Rick Steves Italy book. Crazy valuable when traveling and touring Italy on your own, even for a day or two.

Edited by eandj

We always stay in convents when in Rome and Venice. Very cheap and safe, lovely accomodations, friendly nuns (you don't have to be Catholic to stay there), and many of them right in the middle of the sights you'll want to see.

In Rome, we stay at a convent about a block from the Spanish Steps and a Metro station. In Venice, the convent is right on a canal (with a gondola stop) that is just off the San Marco Plaza.

There is good transportation to get you to the ship. I wouldn't want to stay near the port in either of these cities.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

If you decide to stay near the airport in Venice, I can recommend Courtyard by Marriott. They have a complementary shuttle bus to the airport (5 - 10 minutes away) and typically include breakfast in the room rate. There's also a city bus that stops right in front that you can take into Venice. It was very comfortable with reliable electricity, a must for us since my DH and I both have CPAP machines.

Edited by azbirdmom

We always stay in convents when in Rome and Venice. Very cheap and safe, lovely accomodations, friendly nuns (you don't have to be Catholic to stay there), and many of them right in the middle of the sights you'll want to see.

In Rome, we stay at a convent about a block from the Spanish Steps and a Metro station. In Venice, the convent is right on a canal (with a gondola stop) that is just off the San Marco Plaza.

There is good transportation to get you to the ship. I wouldn't want to stay near the port in either of these cities.

Interesting concept of staying at convents! Where did you find the listings for them?

For the OP: What is your price range? Lots of us have stayed in many different hotels/convents/hostels in both places. We want to be sure we recommend something in your range…

Changing our search to right in the heart of Rome and Venice.

Just returned from a 3 night post cruise stay in Rome. We rented an apartment and it was awesome. The location and price were great. 100 Euro's a night in the Campo Dei Fiori area. If you are interested email me at mrserenity1990@hotmail.com and ill send you the info. Larry

I actually booked The 21 Hotel in Rome. It is 300 Euro for 2 nights.

As far a price range - That is about what we would want to spend.

In Venice we will only have 1 day to sightsee so I just want something nice - but it doesn't have to be fabulous because we will not be at the hotel much except to sleep and shower.

The hotel Arlecchino has come up several times so I am going to give that a look. Thank you all for your help!

Interesting concept of staying at convents! Where did you find the listings for them?
I usually stay in a convent when I'm in Rome by myself for a short visit (anything more than four or five days and I want an apartment). The one I've stayed at most often in recent years is Casa il Rosario, near the Roman Forum/Trajan's Market and, more importantly, near La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali.

Santa Susanna (the American church in Rome) has a decent listing of convents on their web site here: http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html#R-vatican

Edited by euro cruiser

In Venice we will only have 1 day to sightsee so I just want something nice - but it doesn't have to be fabulous because we will not be at the hotel much except to sleep and shower.

The hotel Arlecchino has come up several times so I am going to give that a look. Thank you all for your help!

'

The Best Western Olimpia is right next door to the Arlecchino and is also quite nice. The location of the 21 Hotel is to far from the central city for me. Enjoy as Rome and Venice are both great cities. Btw are you on the Reflection? Sounds like the cruise i just came off of last friday.

Edited by softail

With only two days pre-cruise you might want to look at a hotel closer to Rome's most popular sites, quite possibly on the opposite side of the Tiber river, although you will be within walking distance of the Vatican. I stayed at the Albergo Cesari hotel pre-cruise just two weeks ago and it was 5 minutes walking distance to the Trevi Fountain and maybe 7-8 minutes to the Pantheon at most. Piazza Venezia was maybe 10 minutes. We even walked to our hotel from the Vatican which was approx. a 20-30 minute walk. That included passing through Piazza Navona and a stop for gelato. :D

Bottom line is it was very close to a lot of the most famous tourist sites.

I didn't stay at a convent in Rome, but a small hotel run by Nuns about 10 blocks from the Vatican. My first visit to Rome, we missed the Vatican totally, so for this second trip wanted to be sure and see it.

The hotel is called Domus Aurelia

http://www.domusaurelia.com/2-stars-hotel-vatican.html

We paid $113 for a triple room with a balcony. No restaurants close by, but we just ate before returning to the hotel. And there was a church next door that did a planned menu service for 15 EUR for 4 course dinner with wine.

About a 5 minute 10 EUR taxi to Vatican, where we caught the Ho Ho bus. We used Ho Ho with a 48 hours pass for our transportation around Rome. Doing the Northern section one day, and the Southern section the second day. It worked out well for us (two older ladies with mobility issues).

In Venice, we stayed right in Piazzale Roma at Ca' Doge, no bridges to cross, level parking lot to wheel the luggage across. No elevator, but they carried our luggage up and down the stairs. Lovely hotel, a little more costly than Rome, at $179 per night.

http://cadoge.hotelinvenice.com/

There is another hotel on the other side of Piazzale Roma right on the canal, called Santa Chiara, again no bridges to cross.

http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/en/

Piazzale Roma is the transportation hub for Venice. Peoplemover ends here, vaporetto office and stop, taxi queue, bus stops, and a visitor kiosk right outside Ca' Doge door.

And lastly, another great website http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

So much good information.

Have a great trip wherever you stay!

Edited by agabbymama

With only two days pre-cruise you might want to look at a hotel closer to Rome's most popular sites, quite possibly on the opposite side of the Tiber river, although you will be within walking distance of the Vatican. I stayed at the Albergo Cesari hotel pre-cruise just two weeks ago and it was 5 minutes walking distance to the Trevi Fountain and maybe 7-8 minutes to the Pantheon at most. Piazza Venezia was maybe 10 minutes. We even walked to our hotel from the Vatican which was approx. a 20-30 minute walk. That included passing through Piazza Navona and a stop for gelato. :D

Bottom line is it was very close to a lot of the most famous tourist sites.

Just noticed I said walk from Vatican was 20-30 minutes. I meant to say 30-40 minutes with it probably being closer to 40 minutes.

I usually stay in a convent when I'm in Rome by myself for a short visit (anything more than four or five days and I want an apartment). The one I've stayed at most often in recent years is Casa il Rosario, near the Roman Forum/Trajan's Market and, more importantly, near La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali.

Santa Susanna (the American church in Rome) has a decent listing of convents on their web site here: http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html#R-vatican

Thanks! This could make my plans of going more frequently to Rome easier - I usually wait until I accumulate enough Frequent Guest points to stay.

In Rome we stayed at the Crowne Plaza St Peters. Great hotel, outside the city walls. They have a shuttle bus (eur 1,50 one way) or you take the public bus just outside of the hotel. Great value for money

Thanks! This could make my plans of going more frequently to Rome easier - I usually wait until I accumulate enough Frequent Guest points to stay.

Rome in late winter/extremely early spring is great - far fewer people, easier to get seats in restaurants and, best of all, fresh blood oranges and early artichokes.