Taking Metal Detector on NCL

Sparkygirl

DH is a metal detecting enthusiast and is excited about the prospect of metal detecting the beaches on our upcoming Western Caribbean cruise. In researching which countries/beaches allow this some ships apparently consider metal detectors to be prohibited items. Has anyone taken a metal detector on NCL?

DH is a metal detecting enthusiast and is excited about the prospect of metal detecting the beaches on our upcoming Western Caribbean cruise. In researching which countries/beaches allow this some ships apparently consider metal detectors to be prohibited items. Has anyone taken a metal detector on NCL?

Here's an interesting link about prohibited items on cruise ships. I'm not sure if it's up to date http://www.mcgeheecruise.com/Items%20Not%20Allowed%20On%20a%20Cruise%20Ship.pdf

RCI does prohibit metal detectors. I don't know about NCL's policy, but most likely someone on the board will.

Here's an interesting link about prohibited items on cruise ships. I'm not sure if it's up to date http://www.mcgeheecruise.com/Items%20Not%20Allowed%20On%20a%20Cruise%20Ship.pdf

RCI does prohibit metal detectors. I don't know about NCL's policy, but most likely someone on the board will.

Thank you for the link, NCL's prohibited list does not state Metal Detectors but I don't want to deal with a grumpy husband at the port...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

You will need to find out the LAWS regarding metal detecting in all of your ports. It's not always allowed. I see no reason why it couldn't be brought on the ship...they're not dangerous...but if you can't use it, why bring it?

Do a little google search on metal detecting laws in each country you'll visit! If that comes up with nothing, you could find the Visitor's Info for each country and e-mail them.

Edited by cb at sea

• 2 years later...

It's been two years since this post - and I'm wondering if anyone has brought a metal detector onto an NCL ship? My 10 year old son wants to bring his on the Getaway next week. It is not on NCL's prohibited list. Anyone successfully bring one onboard? Thanks!

Anything the ship does not allow but is legal in the ports you are visiting can be turned over to security. Just contact them in advance and then let them know which ports you would like to use the items.

Trust me, if they don't have a problem with firearms, they are not going to have a problem with a metal detector.