Aqua Class - the details

Celtic Fringe

Thank you baldercash for a wonderful description!

We will be sailing on the Connie in the corner port A1 cabin. It is our first foray in Aqua, so I was a bit anxious. We booked Aqua due to all the rave reviews of Blu and you have made me ever so much more comfortable in my decision!

We would never again book an Aqua Class stateroom. The amenities, if you can call them that, are not worth the higher price. With Blu, you either love it or hate it. Pick a nice cabin in a good location, enjoy the MDR and an occasional specialty restaurant dinner. If Aqua is being offered at the same price as a standard balcony, then go for it.

We booked it because for our sailing, for whatever reason Aqua was less than Concierge. Our TA offered extra incentive if you booked Concierge or higher and we were leaning toward that anyway due to the priority boarding. Hopefully we like it. I am not sure whether we will like Blu or not. A lot of the meals seem kind of complex. I like fresh and interesting tastes but DH is more of a (plain) meat and potatoes guy, so I don't know.

Edited by cruzinlisa
can't type

Carole, Hey neighbor, another AQ fan here. Agree with baldercash's review of the excellent food food in Blu. Even if the food was the same, we would prefer the atmosphere over the MDR. After four AQ sailings we went back to a 1A and MDR last cruise because DD was with us...what a mistake. Everything suffered by comparison, but just having available open seating (Select dining was often a wait, but never more than a few minutes in Blu), smart casual dress so no formal dress needed, much lower noise level, better service, etc was worth it. Also a fan of the Relaxation room and heated tile loungers, always found one on the Reflection, and I go at different times a day, sometimes more than once. So excited to experience AQ again in 3 days! Been too cold here for me. AQ is a great choice, Janet from Cary.

Ps Lisa, there is always a steak, which is excellent btw, but try some of the other meat dishes like the short ribs, filet, etc.

Edited by Janet987

If you enjoy food you will enjoy Blu it is much superior to the MDR.

People are entitled to and can argue about personal food tastes and preferred preparations as we all have different tastes.

However when it comes to the quality of of the food the preparation and presentation there is just no comparison between Blu and the MDR!

Blu will offer Halibut, Ahi Tuna or Snapper the same day the MDR offers Talapia or black cod. The MDR will offer boneless leg of lamb while Blu will offer rack of lamb or chops.

Blu offers quail, pheasant, venison, veal chops. They offer a boneless shank wrapped in crisp bacon that is unreal with a ragout wrapped in philo pastry not to mention the beef short ribs that are simply amazing.

Appetizers vary from frogs legs to soft shell crab not offered in the MDR as well as escargot. The lobster is served in a broth and is one of the best I have had on any ship.

The soups are excellent usually presented with a small amount of vegetables in the bottom of the bowl the soup then poured "hot" from a carafe on top so presentation is also superior to the MDR which does not come close.

Not opinion but fact.

One can even compare the cutlery between the Buffet, MDR and Blu with them each having a different weight and quality, Blu having the best and the same applies to the dishes and glass ware.

Breakfast service is far superior in Blu to the MDR. It is quicker, quieter and presented better. Blu offers smoothies and fresh squeezed orange juice at no charge.

Blu is a much quieter venue to eat with quicker and superior service to the MDR.

Buffet staff strive to work in the MDR while MDR staff strive to get into Blu. The waiter from the Captain's table will assist in Blu if slow in the MDR or when Blu was especially busy they would pull staff from the MDR or the Olympic restaurant to assist.

If one wants a truly intimate table for 2 it does not exist in Blu but if one is not anti social it is enjoyable to have conversation with the table beside you.

The deserts are not as substantial or traditional as in the MDR as well.

We just spent 35 days eating breakfast and dinner in Blu, the menu repeats after 14 days these are some of my observations.

The M class experience is different then S class and for us the price is easily justified by Blu. We feel the room amenities just enhance the experience. The shower and bottle water the biggest perk. The comp sparkling wine can be traded for wine in Blu.

If on a M class book a A1 cabin on deck 11 aft if possible. it is like having the run of the ship. Don't worry about smoke or noise it is bliss.

Our best Cruise of 15 on X was in one of these cabins.

I was just telling my husband that I was pleased to see that so many people were not happy with Blu. Supply and demand...keeping the prices down and all that.

Now, you've just gone and ruined all that by providing such a great description. Plus, you reminded me of some of the wonderful meals we've had in Blu. We've cruised a few of the more expensive, all inclusive lines and I really do believe that Blu (service, food and atmosphere) rivals those lines.

Edited by galavant3

Carole, Hey neighbor, another AQ fan here. Agree with baldercash's review of the excellent food food in Blu. Even if the food was the same, we would prefer the atmosphere over the MDR. After four AQ sailings we went back to a 1A and MDR last cruise because DD was with us...what a mistake. Everything suffered by comparison, but just having available open seating (Select dining was often a wait, but never more than a few minutes in Blu), smart casual dress so no formal dress needed, much lower noise level, better service, etc was worth it. Also a fan of the Relaxation room and heated tile loungers, always found one on the Reflection, and I go at different times a day, sometimes more than once. So excited to experience AQ again in 3 days! Been too cold here for me. AQ is a great choice, Janet from Cary.

Ps Lisa, there is always a steak, which is excellent btw, but try some of the other meat dishes like the short ribs, filet, etc.

That is true and he would be fine with steak. He also loves fish and chicken. Do they have an everyday menu in Blu with steak or chicken on it daily. He would be okay with that all week.

Looking at the menus, I think I will do okay. Some of the foods sound a little fancy for me, but I like food with flavor and like sauces and marinades etc. as long as they are light and not overpowering. I will try most things unless it has to do with bugs or anyone's(things') liver. DH likes his steak lightly salted and peppered, then grilled with heinz 57 sauce and fries. So as long as they have something that caters to the simpler side, I think he will be okay. Of course he surprises me once in a while by eating things like calamari or escargot. The other day, he even tried some sushi (it was just a california roll though).

Don't expect Brie or real Swiss...the cheese platter is sliced cheese from a long bar of processed American, muenster and Swiss. My advice is to just skip the afternoon snack.

Just came back from Eclipse and the cheese plates had a selection that included brie, blue cheese, chedder and at least one other kind of cheese, a few crackers. Was really only suitable for one or two people at the most. Alternatives were some "healthy" choices which were not our cup of tea but our friends were delighted with them.

That is true and he would be fine with steak. He also loves fish and chicken. Do they have an everyday menu in Blu with steak or chicken on it daily. He would be okay with that all week.

Looking at the menus, I think I will do okay. Some of the foods sound a little fancy for me, but I like food with flavor and like sauces and marinades etc. as long as they are light and not overpowering. I will try most things unless it has to do with bugs or anyone's(things') liver. DH likes his steak lightly salted and peppered, then grilled with heinz 57 sauce and fries. So as long as they have something that caters to the simpler side, I think he will be okay. Of course he surprises me once in a while by eating things like calamari or escargot. The other day, he even tried some sushi (it was just a california roll though).

Well he is in luck, as the Classic favorites, unless changed, are grilled ny strip, broiled salmon, and roasted chicken breast. Another advantage of Blu, having its own kitchen, means that you can make specific requests as to how much salt and pepper, leave off an ingredient, whatever and have a good chance of having it truly made to order. Some of the sauces sound 'fancier' than they taste, you can always return it if you don't like it.

As I mentioned, just off the Eclipse, they had the steak (New York Strip, I think), baked chicken and Salmon choice every night as the alternative menu. Had chicken several times and was always delicious. They were also very accommodating to requests like baked potatoes (could get although never asked for it). Would imagine french fries would be also. Always ordered a plate of vegetables in case I was not into their choice on the plate. Always great, cauliflower, broc, carrots, etc. Staff was just awesome. We loved our gal and assistant and always waited for one of her tables in the evening. Have AQ on the "M" class next. Not sure if that is a good trade off for my CC1 aft balcony, but our friends want AQ.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise. Kathryn

everyone thinks sushi is raw fish...in fact there are many that are cooked or are vegetables.

Don't be too afraid of the sauces...you can order them on the side...and the description makes it sound fancier than it is. They do have simpler dishes....and a hint: each day they have a salad with something on top...e.g lamb chops. You can ask for the thing on top to be made into a platter (no salad) with some potatoes and vegetables. I've done that a few times. I don't know if they still call the "always available" chicken "airline chicken" but that's really a roast chicken breast with the first joint of the wing still on....it's a very strange name for plain roast chicken.

everyone thinks sushi is raw fish...in fact there are many that are cooked or are vegetables.

Don't be too afraid of the sauces...you can order them on the side...and the description makes it sound fancier than it is. They do have simpler dishes....and a hint: each day they have a salad with something on top...e.g lamb chops. You can ask for the thing on top to be made into a platter (no salad) with some potatoes and vegetables. I've done that a few times. I don't know if they still call the "always available" chicken "airline chicken" but that's really a roast chicken breast with the first joint of the wing still on....it's a very strange name for plain roast chicken.

My DW uses that dish several times a cruise. Usually she has mashed potato which always looks good

We now book Aqua Class whenever we can. We are great fans of Blu. While we enjoy the meals and service, the greatest advantage of Blu is the fact that it is so much quieter than the MDR. So while we enjoy the bottles of water and so forth, for us the great advantage of Aqua is the serene nature of Blu.

For us, there is no going back from Aqua Class, because of the more personal nature of Blu. It isn't so much the food (not really much different from MDR), but rather not being part of the cattle call of thousands, that makes it for us. Looking forward to the Reflection in about a month, as it's waaaay too cold here!

I love AQ class as well. It's all a matter of taste.

I am not a big fan of the MDR as I don't like to have to go there at a set time. It's get quite crowded and noisier and I find it too repetitive after a few days. It feels like going to a banquet everyday... it's too much for my taste.

I go to Blu whenever I want and I find it more relaxed. I like the food better l and the level of service is great. If I could make a comparision it's like going to a boutique hotel with more personalized service than a large 5 star hotel which has to handle volume.

I also really like the breakfast being served at Blu. Honestly I don't like going to the buffet for breakfast and I was a little disappointed with the AquaCafé.

My thoughts as well.

Blu was so intimate and the view was spectacular. The food, great! Loved the shower too. My Sweetie will take no less than AQ now.

Look for the good prices. We got a nice discount being from IL.

If you enjoy food you will enjoy Blu it is much superior to the MDR.

People are entitled to and can argue about personal food tastes and preferred preparations as we all have different tastes.

However when it comes to the quality of of the food the preparation and presentation there is just no comparison between Blu and the MDR!

Blu will offer Halibut, Ahi Tuna or Snapper the same day the MDR offers Talapia or black cod. The MDR will offer boneless leg of lamb while Blu will offer rack of lamb or chops.

Blu offers quail, pheasant, venison, veal chops. They offer a boneless shank wrapped in crisp bacon that is unreal with a ragout wrapped in philo pastry not to mention the beef short ribs that are simply amazing.

Appetizers vary from frogs legs to soft shell crab not offered in the MDR as well as escargot. The lobster is served in a broth and is one of the best I have had on any ship.

The soups are excellent usually presented with a small amount of vegetables in the bottom of the bowl the soup then poured "hot" from a carafe on top so presentation is also superior to the MDR which does not come close.

Not opinion but fact.

One can even compare the cutlery between the Buffet, MDR and Blu with them each having a different weight and quality, Blu having the best and the same applies to the dishes and glass ware.

Breakfast service is far superior in Blu to the MDR. It is quicker, quieter and presented better. Blu offers smoothies and fresh squeezed orange juice at no charge.

Blu is a much quieter venue to eat with quicker and superior service to the MDR.

Buffet staff strive to work in the MDR while MDR staff strive to get into Blu. The waiter from the Captain's table will assist in Blu if slow in the MDR or when Blu was especially busy they would pull staff from the MDR or the Olympic restaurant to assist.

If one wants a truly intimate table for 2 it does not exist in Blu but if one is not anti social it is enjoyable to have conversation with the table beside you.

The deserts are not as substantial or traditional as in the MDR as well.

We just spent 35 days eating breakfast and dinner in Blu, the menu repeats after 14 days these are some of my observations.

The M class experience is different then S class and for us the price is easily justified by Blu. We feel the room amenities just enhance the experience. The shower and bottle water the biggest perk. The comp sparkling wine can be traded for wine in Blu.

If on a M class book a A1 cabin on deck 11 aft if possible. it is like having the run of the ship. Don't worry about smoke or noise it is bliss.

Our best Cruise of 15 on X was in one of these cabins.

Thank you so much for this!! Now I am even more excited!

We have our first Celebrity cruise coming up in February on the Summit, and we booked AQ and have an Aft cabin on Deck 11! Sounds like we made the right choice!

Thinking we will try the MDR at least one night just for the comparison. Maybe on formal night, just for fun.

We try to eat "clean" most of the time and I am excited that there will be plenty of healthy options.

(Gotta save room for all the calories I will be drinking... :D )

My thoughts as well.

Blu was so intimate and the view was spectacular. The food, great! Loved the shower too. My Sweetie will take no less than AQ now.

Look for the good prices. We got a nice discount being from IL.

This is what I worry about, being spoiled by AQ. We have a (almost) 3 year old that usually cruises with us, but this one is just me and DH. Since AQ is only for 2 people, we could do it if we take our DD with us. :(

Can someone please clarify Blu- is it a paid meal - or included w/ Aqua? This is our 4th X cruise, but first in AC. We really enjoyed CC. Thanks! Looking fwd to Eclipse in 2/2015

~ss

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blu is just the dedicated restaurant for passengers in AQ (and suite guests on a space available basis). It takes the place of the MDR, so there is no additional charge.

Can someone please clarify Blu- is it a paid meal - or included w/ Aqua? This is our 4th X cruise, but first in AC. We really enjoyed CC. Thanks! Looking fwd to Eclipse in 2/2015

~ss

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What Cathy said:)......Blu is "Your Dining room" for the folks in

Aqua Class.....it is included in the price you are paying for your cruise.