Upgrading post final payment with 123GO

SusieV

I'm confused- I got notification that there are price drops on our 2014 Silhouette cruises. We're currently booked in a 2D balcony with the drinks package, and we want to pay more to upgrade to a C2 balcony, roughly $55pp on one leg and $15pp on the other.

I emailed my TA and she advised if we do, we will lose the drinks package perk. I emailed back requesting clarification because I thought if it was a regular rate and not a special, that you could keep the promotion and still pay for an upgrade. This is just the normal rate appearing on the website, not a resident rate or anything like that.

I called Celebrity myself and they told me they no longer use the term "five star rate". The agent told me that since the promo is no longer offered that NO changes at all can be made to bookings with the promo without losing it.

It seems that people here have had other experiences, but I'm not sure what to do at this point. I really wish Celebrity would make it clearer what rates are eligible for upgrading and what are restricted.

I think the reason is that it seems the Celebrity, and other cruise lines raise the rates when they offer these promos. When I tried to add the 123 promo to my existing booking they told me I need to pair a higher fair. They said part of the promo was that you had to pay the current fair price, some cruises this meant there might not have been a fair increase, but mine meant I would need to pay more per person in order to get promo.

We already have the promo attached to our current booking, and the price didn't go up to get it- it stayed the same as when it opened. It's fair for them to ask for the going rate if you are trying to add a promotion, I think, but that isn't what we're trying to do.

We want to take our current booking which has the drink package on it but is past final payment, and pay more to move to a higher category cabin at the rate currently posted on the Celebrity website and are being told we are not able to do that without losing the promotion, and that doesn't make sense to me. It's not a Tuesday special or a restricted rate, as far as I can see.

I'm confused- I got notification that there are price drops on our 2014 Silhouette cruises. We're currently booked in a 2D balcony with the drinks package, and we want to pay more to upgrade to a C2 balcony, roughly $55pp on one leg and $15pp on the other.

I emailed my TA and she advised if we do, we will lose the drinks package perk. I emailed back requesting clarification because I thought if it was a regular rate and not a special, that you could keep the promotion and still pay for an upgrade. This is just the normal rate appearing on the website, not a resident rate or anything like that.

I called Celebrity myself and they told me they no longer use the term "five star rate". The agent told me that since the promo is no longer offered that NO changes at all can be made to bookings with the promo without losing it.

It seems that people here have had other experiences, but I'm not sure what to do at this point. I really wish Celebrity would make it clearer what rates are eligible for upgrading and what are restricted.

Hi Susie,

It's always been my understanding that if the drink package is not being offered, that you would lose the promo if you make changes. I'm not saying that makes sense, but that's how I've known the rule. With that said, I belive that we've seen a few members state otherwise. I've not heard that Celebrity has eliminated the 5Star rate, but it's no biggie, as I've always thought of it as a standard rate, so assuming 5Star is gone, the name change to standard makes sense. At the very least, you would need the new rate to be a standard rate - to even have a chance of retaining the drink package.

As you are booked with a TA, they are the only folks who can battle for you. Perhaps ask your TA to speak with a Celebrity supervisor. Please let us know the outcome, and good luck !

Edited by Host Andy

I had a few experiences with this, but they were several months ago.

After final payment I was able to add the drink package to a Silhouette sailing by paying the difference between a resident rate and 5 star.

Before final payment I was able to change the promo on our upcoming Equinox sailing. Recently, after final payment we inquired about upgrading and were told that upgrading to a GTY would not allow us to keep the drink package (we knew this) but that if we payed a full fare, we could.

The prices dropped after our final payment and we have the 123 beverage package (and paid gratuities thru our TA). I contaced my TA and asked if Celebrity did any upgrades since the cost of a C2 was cheaper than the cost we paid for our SV. She contacted Celebrity and they gave us a complimentary upgrade to the C2. We did not lose our perks.

Edited by fitters

Not final payment yet, but was able to pay to upgrade and keep my perk.

Same with us. ;)

Upgraded from a 2A to an AQ1, but paid a few hundred more pp. for the upgrade when the price of the AQ went down. This was on October 8th. Not sure if the PYP promo was still going on at that time, though.

.... My understanding is if the promo isn't being offered now, you cannot keep it if you make a change of cabin, date etc.

Sorry, but this is not the case, at least not in my experience. I had a reservation with a Promo. Cancelled the cruise and moved it to a future cruise. Promo transferred with the booking. (Promo expired long ago.) It really all comes down to the pricing. If I had tried re-booking at a "special" discounted price, I'm sure I would have lost the Promo.

I emailed Resolutions for a clarification and was told that the currently posted rates on the website are promotional rates. The regular rate has not dropped in price at all so it would cost four times as much to upgrade at this time, although I could do it and keep the package.

Guess we'll keep our 2D and hope for a "legitimate" price drop later. I wish Celebrity would identify special rates to make things easier!

I can relate to the frustration. In the meantime our sailing upgrades all but sold out on guaranteed pricing far below what i paid.

I found it frustrating our TA had a Standard rate that Celebrity claimed was promotional and some categories didn't have five star rate or standard listed. That would have been nice to have.

My lesson learned, no use trying to throw more money at them for the time being. And next time maybe not try the after final payment upgrade.:roll eyes:

I didn't realize there was something called resolutions, good to know.

• 2 years later...

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add 123 Go to my reservation for a cruise. I booked the cruise through a travel agent from an online cruise site. I booked on a Friday and by Monday, 123 Go was advertised at the same exact price I paid.

I asked the travel agent and he said I'd have to pay about $1,500 more to get 123 Go. It doesn't make sense to me since the cruise at the level I bought is still offered at the same price.

Is there anything I can do? Ask Celebrity directly?

Thanks!

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add 123 Go to my reservation for a cruise. I booked the cruise through a travel agent from an online cruise site. I booked on a Friday and by Monday, 123 Go was advertised at the same exact price I paid.

I asked the travel agent and he said I'd have to pay about $1,500 more to get 123 Go. It doesn't make sense to me since the cruise at the level I bought is still offered at the same price.

Thanks!

Where have you seen the 123go promo offered? I don't believe Celebrity is using that anymore.

Their latest promo is called Big, Better, Best and has been in place for quite some time.

1 perk of 4 is included in your initial cruise fare and if you like, you can pay so much more per person to add extra perks.

If you made your booking with a travel agent, you have to go through them for everything, Celebrity booking agent won't be able to help you.

Thanks!

Did you book the cruise inside final payment? Only asking because if you rang on the Monday after booking on the Friday, why couldn't the TA adjust your reservation accordingly? Perhaps it's a group rate i.e. when you say the sailing is still offered at the same price that you paid, are you referring to X's cost or your TAs? Just trying to figure out why the TA couldn't price adjust your reservation a couple of days later if the promo was being offered, and at that stage was still prior to final payment?

It may be better to post a few more details as to when you actually booked the cruise and for which sailing? That way, some of the TAs that post on these boards may be able to advise you further. X won't speak with you if the booking is through a TA ;). As CruisersTimesThree posted above, the 123Go hasn't been around for some time now.

Thanks for the replies. It's big, better, best -- why I called it 123Go I can't explain. After reading a few other posts, it sounds like it's because I booked a GTY veranda and you don't get promotions with GTYs. If I want big, better, best, it seems I would have to pay a (much) higher rate, a lot more than the perks are worth, especially since I'm going solo and don't consume much. I don't know why anyone would knowingly pay more than something is worth. Buyer beware I suppose.

I have lost count of how many times I've sailed with Celebrity -- many -- and I do get benefits with elite status.

Thanks for the replies. It's big, better, best -- why I called it 123Go I can't explain. After reading a few other posts, it sounds like it's because I booked a GTY veranda and you don't get promotions with GTYs. If I want big, better, best, it seems I would have to pay a (much) higher rate, a lot more than the perks are worth, especially since I'm going solo and don't consume much. I don't know why anyone would knowingly pay more than something is worth. Buyer beware I suppose.

I have lost count of how many times I've sailed with Celebrity -- many -- and I do get benefits with elite status.

I booked a GTY a few weeks ago for a MAY sailing and got two "perks".

Ken

and probably only worth that amount.

IMHO, cruise line pricing after final payment is usually lower because they are trying to fill up the empty spaces on the ship. If they don't have that issue, you will see much higher pricing. Folks tend to compare what they paid in full, vs. the new 90 days or less pricing and want to adjust, in whatever way suits them - higher category for same $$, pay a little more $ go higher, etc and still keep their original perks. But it's not how the pricing industry works. The price is cheaper usually because the promo is not connected or being offered to that pricing and almost always says for new bookings only.

I personally just choose the cruise itinerary, cabin category and price at booking and then don't look back because it doesn't help to get upset about something you can't change.

I know there are people that report they've made changes and preserved their promo, but hardly ever does that happen after final payment. It's nothing unusual to be told no. Just frustrating when you see your cruise posted online for much cheaper than you paid. That's why I don't look.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Not looking is wise advice! I just do not want to feel as though I'm being placated so I'll go away. It gets my antennae up. Next time, I'll wait a little longer before booking. Thanks again, I appreciate the info. This is a great community.

Not looking is wise advice! I just do not want to feel as though I'm being placated so I'll go away. It gets my antennae up. Next time, I'll wait a little longer before booking. Thanks again, I appreciate the info. This is a great community.

I get it. Unfortunately, they get this question a lot so their frustration might show a bit.

Before 90 days final payment, there is always the option to cancel and rebook but less than 90 days is when people will usually see a huge price decrease if open cabins are abundant and they are trying to fill them up.

Another piece of advice, cruise line policy changes all the time. So when somebody posts that they achieved this or that 2-3+ yrs ago, it's not comparable to today. If it happened last week, I'd jump on my TA or the cruiseline and tell them, well I just read on cruise critic and somebody was able to accomplish it. They might still placate you, but at least you feel like you tried. I get how you feel. It's the major reason why I don't look after final payment. Happy Sailing!

Edited by 1cruiselvr