Great Stirrup Cay Cancelled Again!!

Infiniti820

So what was for many a down day, we had a blast! One of the best days of the cruise!

There's always a way to have fun and it sure beat the snow we were heading home to.

I have to agree. Last week we missed GSC and our travel mates were pretty bummed and mad. I was mad too but tried to put it in perspective for them. It was 85 degrees, sunny, and we were not at work. I do agree that NCL needs to change the itinerary or build a pier but in the meantime, there are worse places you could be.

I know that is a bummer~~I was so lucky on the "Gem" in "2011"~~we were able to tender~~but they were telling us also~~be ready not to tender if the weather is not just right! The island is nice~~maybe next time on your next cruise~~I wish I was on the "Breakaway" right now~~had so much fun going to Bermuda on it and the warm weather~~not like cold here in New York!:)

But even with a pier, if the weather is bad would you go off???

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Bad like in pouring rain? No. Cloudy and rough surf, you bet. My wife and I are different than most cruises. I'm not going to say we care less about the ship, but for us its all about the itinerary. The ship is a means to an end for us.

Now THAT is something to be happy about! It's like instant sunshine - just add winnings ;)

Have you heard anything about the 2 people who were hurt aboard the ship? It was another post about 2 different people getting hurt. Hopefully they're okay.

Have a good rest of the cruise - please have a chocolate croissant for breakfast for me. Being back home and eating special K just isn't the same. Or fair. LOL!!!

Yes, there is a post on page 2 of this board started by nygirl. An article stated that a man suffered a neck injury and a woman in her 70's suffered a fracture. There was no further information.

I live in south Florida and we have had high winds for several days now. The entire east coast of Florida is experiencing this front. So this is unusual and not your typical miss GSC day. There have been rip current alerts at the beaches for days now.

GSC was cancelled on our cruise due to high winds as well just 2 weeks ago...10/24/13 when we where there on the Sky. But we made the best of it and NCL helped by distributing free adult fruity drinks for about 2 hours. :cool:

We are certainly hoping to make it to GSC in a couple of weeks as well. We shall see. We've never been on an itinerary with NCL that included it before. We are excited to see it, but will make do if we can't. The waters do look a bit rough for tendering today. :(

I know that NCL has been putting money into improvements at GSC and perhaps the reason they haven't built a pier is because there may be natural reefs that would be disturbed. I'm not certain, because we haven't been there, but that could play into it. I'm sure there is a reason.

I've heard many say they have missed it due to weather. We are crossing our fingers that we get lucky enough to be able to go.

I think some of the reason there's no pier could be this:

From Wikipedia

There are pictures as well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stirrup_Cay

Just in case anyone is interested.

Flora and fauna

The most common tree on the island is the coconut palm, which produces a cloudy milk and a sweet meat used in many island recipes. Another fruit-bearing tree is the Sea Grape.

Wildlife

Some of the creatures found on the island include several different varieties of lizard and land crab. Gulls, frigates, and sanderlings are the most prevalent bird species.

Great Stirrup Cay is a protected marine life sanctuary, and removal of anything from the water is strictly prohibited.

Edited by B6ConMe

So GSC is skipped for a third week in a row :( ....

I am sailing on her in just 4 days...hope we make it :D ...I have to say the odds of not making it to the island for a fourth week in a row are smaller.

I loved GSC back in 2011 before they made any changes to the island...I would love to run my toes in that hot sand :D

Well only time will tell....

NCL's private island is Great Stirrup Cay

RCCL private island was renamed Coco Cay its original name is Little Stirrup Cay

The two islands are both a part of the berry island chain and are adjacent to each other so when one has an issue it is more than likely the other does as well.

When we were there on the Jewel before during the construction we saw the Monarch of the Seas from the Jewel at Coco Cay.

The Jewel used her thrustors to keep the loading side out of the wind while the Monarch swung around on her anchor chain.

I don't know how that effects tendering but other then using the thrustors the Captain refused to comment on NCL's or RCCL's tendering during the bridge tour when asking for questions.

FWIW

We are certainly hoping to make it to GSC in a couple of weeks as well. We shall see. We've never been on an itinerary with NCL that included it before. We are excited to see it, but will make do if we can't. The waters do look a bit rough for tendering today. :(

I know that NCL has been putting money into improvements at GSC and perhaps the reason they haven't built a pier is because there may be natural reefs that would be disturbed. I'm not certain, because we haven't been there, but that could play into it. I'm sure there is a reason.

I've heard many say they have missed it due to weather. We are crossing our fingers that we get lucky enough to be able to go.

Reefs may be the reason or other environmental reasons a dock is not built there. Also even if there were a dock that does not guarantee port calls won't be cancelled. I have been on several cruises where the port call was cancelled and there was a dock. If the weather is bad enough, rough seas or high winds, it can also be unsafe to dock.

The Pearl is scheduled to be there on Monday. The forecast I've seen shows 17-20 MPH wind. Is that too windy for our tender there? I've never been on a cruise with a tender so I don't know how it goes and what is involved for the ship to be able to do it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The Pearl is scheduled to be there on Monday. The forecast I've seen shows 17-20 MPH wind. Is that too windy for our tender there? I've never been on a cruise with a tender so I don't know how it goes and what is involved for the ship to be able to do it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We had 20mph when we where at GSC. Luckily the ship was able to block the wind for loading up. Once we got past the cover of the ship it was a very interesting ride in:D

On the Gem in May, we were told they were uncertain if we would be able to tender. Water was choppy. Well they decided to go ahead. We were on the first tender since we had priority (we were in a suite). We landed and walked around for an hour. We decided to go back before lunch. The water looked very choppy. We felt eating and then going back might make us sick. We were the only two people on the tender. Security came on board to check us out. Guess not too many people go back so fast. We had lunch. Then the sky opened and it would not stop. People came back from the island drenched and frozen. That time the Captain tried to make people happy and instead they were all mad. Cannot blame NCL for the weather. We had a wonderful time on board.

We have had a 50% chance of making the island. Had to miss it twice and made it the last two times.

I have to say, if the port is cancelled, Do not be bumbed. you do not want to be on those tenders with bad weather!

Most people have a hard time on those tenders in GOOD weather. My hubby himself has said he is not going back unless they build a dock.

I would still go on the tender to the island, it is beautiful. But if it is cancelled, i wouldnt think twice and head to the hot tub!

Oh, and just because it is sunny, does not mean it is good weather for the tenders.

They run the tenders if at all safely possible. We've been there three times. On our second visit, the tenders were running, however my wife looked down at them rocking and rolling and said no way for her. I went and it was an exciting ride. NCL can't make it all perfect. Some days you just won't be stopping there.

I've been on four cruises that called at GSC. and all of them stopped there. Everything was uneventful on the first two cruises. However, on the third cruise, after I got into the tender, the tender just sat there in the ocean for an hour and a half next to the ship, going up and down and up and down and up and down. I knew that there was a good reason that the tender did not set sail, but still, it wasn't a whole lot of fun going up and down for an hour and a half before we finally sailed to GSC. The fourth time I didn't even bother to get off the ship. I'm going on a cruise in March that will call at GSC, and I'd just as soon stay on the ship, but I'll be travelling with a friend who has never been to GSC. Maybe we'll just go over for lunch, and I hope that we won't spend an hour and a half going up and down and up and down, but there's no way of knowing before we get into the tender.