How does rccl determine upgrades?

connes1

I like the upgrade fairy:-) When did your upgrades start to happen...after PC or after say 650 cruise points. There are very few PC status members.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

After earning our 700th point. Don't really know what you mean by PC "status" members. The approximate total is a little over 500 by the end of 2013.

While we were Emerald we were upgraded from our prime aft balcony on a Liberty Mediterranean cruise to a forward JS. Guest Services wouldn't commit to why but when another passenger in line hinted that maybe that a higher C&A member wanted our aft balcony and we were upgraded to accommodate them, the person at GS said "that sometimes happens". Who knows if there's any truth to it but we enjoyed our JS all the same ;)

No complimentary upgrades for me yet :rolleyes: however I do have over 300 points and was recently offered a paid upgrade through Crown and Anchor that revenue had released to them. We got a "suite" deal and moved from a Grand Suite to the Royal Family Suite for $200 :)

Very excited to see my RFS next week on the Explorer.

Interesting to note - we got the call from C&A 2 months out.......

When C & A does an upgrade do they do then down the line? Example JS to GS now a room is open in JS, Balcony to JS, then OV to Balcony and finally inside to outside.:confused:

That is quite possible. We were on the Rhapsody in July or 2011, sailing out of Seattle for Alaska.

We got upgraded at check-in, from a balcony on Deck 7 to a JS on Deck 8.

Yet, when we got to cabin, the excursion tickets and water package were for a different set of passengers.

Oh, and did I mention that the couple, who must have been upgraded to a GS, thought they were still in a JS? I had taken our son to the pool, and they tried to get into our cabin. They were fuming that my wife was in their JS and planned to give someone at the purser's desk a lot of static.

When it was after the muster drill, and the bags still hadn't arrived, I went down to our old cabin on Deck 7. Our bags were sitting outside, while there were people in the cabin.

So, a vacant GS did leave to at least 3 upgraded travel parties.

It was always assumed that it was based on cruise points, yet anecdotal stories indicated otherwise. In all our Royal cruises, we (D+) were upgraded ONCE, from a window to a JS on Monarch a couple of years ago. Found out upon check in at the port.

A few weeks ago they we got an email clarifying that upgrades are based on points and to make sure our upgrade preference was indicated in our profile.

Coincidentally, on Enchantment last week (10/28 sailing) we were upgraded at the port from a JS to a GS.

So while they may still do some revenue-based upgrades that are not specified in their "upgrade policy" they DO apparently offer some UG when available to upper level C&A members. :)

You might have gotten our GS. We were upgraded from a GS to an OS on that sailing.

Did you get the reduced price upgrade at the port or in advance. If advanced roughly how far from cruise date? Thanks any info would help

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Are you asking ME? If so, no, no reduced price upgrade. Both times we walked up to the counter at the pier to check in and were told, "oh, it looks like you've been moved up" or something like that. We paid no additional money beyond what we paid for our originally booked cabin.

One of our table mates recently told us that you start getting upgrades when you reach 300 points.

Don't think so. I only hae 187 points. My BF has more but I don't think he's passed 300 yet, and almost certainly hadn't when we got the first upgrade a couple of years ago.

Seriously, people? We had a huge thread on this last month.

Most of you posted on it!!!

Crown & Anchor Society Complimentary Upgrades

But I like my simple explanation best:

The first step is that the Revenue Department gets a list of all available cabins and all booked passengers.

Based on some arcane, mystical, druidic formula, those people use their crystal balls to determine which cruisers will be most impressed and lured in by an upgrade. This can be anywhere from an interior to an oceanview, or a balcony to an Owner's Suite or Crown Loft Suite. This means first timers and few timers who will thus be likely to book the higher grade next time.

After they have exhausted themselves in their abstruse and esoteric rituals, they turn, panting, to the Crown & Anchor Society and beg them to distribute the few remaining available cabins.

C & A then looks at the booked passengers, arrayed in splended "cruise point" order and bestows the cabins, usually one level upgrades, according to "C&A Status".

By the way, this is not facetious, adjectives notwithstanding. This is pretty much how they do it.

There are instances when C&A screws up. It has happened to critterchick. Dawna's post is an example of that. Someone gives someone the wrong list or an incorrect list. People can be erroneously left off this list.

Could be! We ended up in 8034 I think. Was that what you had booked? Meanwhile someone else got lucky and got our JS I guess...the coveted 7666 on the aft corner!

That was it. We started in a JS. Moved to GS 8034. Then to an OS. With nothing out of pocket.

Could be! We ended up in 8034 I think. Was that what you had booked? Meanwhile someone else got lucky and got our JS I guess...the coveted 7666 on the aft corner!

That was it. We started in a JS. Moved to GS 8034. Then to an OS. With nothing out of pocket.

Were either of y'all the "top cruiser" that sailing?

When we got upgraded on the Rhapsody in July, 2011 (balcony to JS), it was only the third cruise for my wife and I (15 points at the time). Considering that there were a fair number of C&A members on the ship, and many had a lot of points, I don't know if we got a C&A upgrade, or if Revenue thought that by upgrading us to a JS, it would entice us to book at the JS level in the future.

One thing to remember is that we were traveling with an 8-year old. Our balcony had a 3rd pullman berth, and the JS has a sofa bed.

In watching shows about cruising on CNBC, I know that cruise lines want to get a ship at 101% to 102% of capacity, meaning that some cabins have children in extra berths.

So, the fact that we had a kid along may have played into why we were upgraded.

Seriously, people? We had a huge thread on this last month.

Most of you posted on it!!!

And zillions of threads have been started or added to since then. Alcohol questions? Asked about repeatedly. Suggested flight times? Asked about repeatedly. And the same goes for a bunch of other topics. If you don't want to read a particular thread, ignore it. It's really quite simple. :rolleyes:

We have had several really nice upgrades over the past 3 years. Extremely excited and grateful each time.

I think I like the way it is..........No rhyme or reason. No matter how many pts you have there is always someone with more (for most of us.) It appears there are many ways to get an upgrade.

We have never had an upgrade for pay but would welcome it with open arms.

Another way they do it is if they see my name..........

they give it to someone else.......

So if you are sailing with me, your chances are better:eek:

Just kidding.

The only way we were offered an upgrade is to pay a reduce fee for the next category.

(and we did on our allure sailing).

Never got one free.

Sea Ya

Us too Sue, Paid $50 each for a balcony upgrade from Deluxe to JS :) we weren't complaining!

Edited by SammiC72
wrong character used.

Us too Sue, Paid $50 each for a balcony upgrade from Deluxe to JS :) we weren't complaining!

Congrats. That was a good upgrade for 100.00

Out of curiosity.....did you get double points since you paid something towards your upgrade? Or is this for your next cruise?

When C & A does an upgrade do they do then down the line? Example JS to GS now a room is open in JS, Balcony to JS, then OV to Balcony and finally inside to outside.:confused:

I was upgrade a few times. two times while I didn't have much status, from an inside mope to a higher deck inside mope. One time from an inside mope to an OV deck two. (I think I would have preferred staying in the inside.).

On the Allure, as a Diamond and my son as a Gold, we both had inside rooms and were upgraded to a CP Balcony.

On my Alaska cruise, they wanted my room D2, corner aft and dangled a JS but we declined.

Then we went years with no upgrades. Probably by now I was typically starting in Balconies.

Last month on my Mediterranean cruise, as a D+, I was upgraded from an E2 to a JS based on my status and that I had my profile set for automatic upgrade, so the C&A person left on my voicemail. There were only 30 D+/P on this cruise. I'm sure that is why it is harder to get an upgrade on a Caribbean cruise. I'm sure most of the D+/P already had JS or above. I doubt I'll ever see an upgrade on a Caribbean cruise.

I too, have heard of many new cruises getting upgrades, but I don't think that happens as much anymore.

Last month on my Mediterranean cruise, as a D+, I was upgraded from an E2 to a JS based on my status and that I had my profile set for automatic upgrade, so the C&A person left on my voicemail. There were only 30 D+/P on this cruise. I'm sure that is why it is harder to get an upgrade on a Caribbean cruise. I'm sure most of the D+/P already had JS or above. I doubt I'll ever see an upgrade on a Caribbean cruise.

Were you in cabin 1044?

Edited by cruisenfever

I was upgrade a few times. two times while I didn't have much status, from an inside mope to a higher deck inside mope. One time from an inside mope to an OV deck two. (I think I would have preferred staying in the inside.).

Please tell me what a mope is, probably something simple and obvious but it's foreign to me.:o

I don't know if this qualifies as a free upgrade or not. I was booked in a Central Park view balcony on the Allure. Took advantage of one or two price drops. There was another price drop after final payment. I called my agent to see if I could take advantage of it.

Royal would not give me a refund or OBC, but did offer to allow me to move to an ocean view balcony (a low level one) for free. I'm pretty sure the balcony cost more than I paid (even after the price drop). In the end I ended up on deck six next to the Diamond Lounge (I am Diamond).