Message from RCI - should I ignore?

Received email today. Departing Saturday. Planning to leave hotel between 10-11am. Trying to figure out when the hotel shuttle leaves and go before them. Should I ignore this message and go as planned? Not going to rush getting on the ship but will take our time getting up, eating breakfast and just enjoying the "non-rush" of life which we don't get very often (almost never).

"We are contacting you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on the Oasis of the Seas on November 9, out of Fort Lauderdale. Due to recent government budget reductions, U.S. Customs and Border Protection staffing has been affected, creating a longer immigration processing time for departing guests, and the ship has experienced a later clearance time for arriving guests. Therefore, please do not arrive at the cruise terminal prior to 12:30 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard."

Received email today. Departing Saturday. Planning to leave hotel between 10-11am. Trying to figure out when the hotel shuttle leaves and go before them. Should I ignore this message and go as planned? Not going to rush getting on the ship but will take our time getting up, eating breakfast and just enjoying the "non-rush" of life which we don't get very often (almost never).

"We are contacting you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on the Oasis of the Seas on November 9, out of Fort Lauderdale. Due to recent government budget reductions, U.S. Customs and Border Protection staffing has been affected, creating a longer immigration processing time for departing guests, and the ship has experienced a later clearance time for arriving guests. Therefore, please do not arrive at the cruise terminal prior to 12:30 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard."

Yes. This is a standard message sent to all pax departing on Oasis.

I'd ignore it. They're trying to spread out the crowd. Show up at 10-10:30 an dI bet you'll be on the ship before 11:30.

The worst that could happen is you'd have to wait a while. At best you'd get on the ship earlier. I've seen cruise lines use this type of message to help stagger the arrivals. I'd go early still and bring a book, iPad or playing cards to pass the time.

Tom

Seriously, I post, get a cup of tea and there are 4 responses already.

I can always depend on you guys for a quick and fast answer. Flying out tomorrow, putting my ducks in order at work (tons to do) and haven't even packed my clothes yet so tonight will be an all nighter to get ready. I can always sleep tomorrow night at the hotel. Thanks folks !!!

Yeah, I figured out later that this must be a standard email to spread us out. It is the first time I have received one of those emails and actually got FIVE duplicates at once. A bit over kill I think. :rolleyes:

I am driving three hours to get there on Saturday morning. Thought about leaving later, but I would rather sit and wait at the terminal, than worry about any traffic delays or mishaps on the way down.

"Sea" you there! :)

I suggest you have a nice breakfast, and go to the terminal. You can drop your luggage as soon as you get there - they will tell you if there will be a delay getting on board.

We had a noro previous cruise, so they did not let us on until 12.

We went directly to the pool deck, not the Windjammer - walked around crowd free, very nice, .one person stayed with hand luggage, then got lunch in the Solarium and took it to our poolside lounge chairs to eat - veryrelaxing afternoon until we could get into our rooms (suite guest was 2 that day not sure of others).

We were travelling with 2kids, they really enjoyed the kiddy pool with out other kids there (they are 7 & 9, have their own pool and swim like fish, so usually do not use the kid pool)

Enjoy, wish I was there - snow flurries here today!!

I suggest you have a nice breakfast, and go to the terminal. You can drop your luggage as soon as you get there - they will tell you if there will be a delay getting on board.

We had a noro previous cruise, so they did not let us on until 12.

We went directly to the pool deck, not the Windjammer - walked around crowd free, very nice, .one person stayed with hand luggage, then got lunch in the Solarium and took it to our poolside lounge chairs to eat - veryrelaxing afternoon until we could get into our rooms (suite guest was 2 that day not sure of others).

We were travelling with 2kids, they really enjoyed the kiddy pool with out other kids there (they are 7 & 9, have their own pool and swim like fish, so usually do not use the kid pool)

Enjoy, wish I was there - snow flurries here today!!

Sorry about the snow, know how you feel, I'm a Toronto girl living in the Midwest USA. We have 7/9 also. Must remember to pack swim suits in hand bag so they can just drive right in. Thanks.

I would go with my original plan but be prepared to wait if you have to. Last cruise, I rec'd a message like this and when people (flights and such) got us all to the port early, there were buses to take us into town and they drove loops, dropping off & picking up, until we were allowed to board...the issue was immigration back log.

Therefore, please do not arrive at the cruise terminal prior to 12:30 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard."

Do they send out different emails with different times to arrive; ex. is there another email being sent out for this cruise that says don't arrive until 1:30? or just one standard email that fits all..

I just got this one.

We are contacting you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on the Legend of the Seas. The ship will be arriving to Port Everglades on November 12th from a season cruising abroad. This means there will be a required U.S. Coast Guard inspection, full crew immigration, and full guest immigration. Because of this, check-in will take place between 12:30 PM and 3:30 PM as published in your cruise documents. Please do not arrive at the cruise terminal prior to 12:30 PM. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just got this one.

We are contacting you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on the Legend of the Seas. The ship will be arriving to Port Everglades on November 12th from a season cruising abroad. This means there will be a required U.S. Coast Guard inspection, full crew immigration, and full guest immigration. Because of this, check-in will take place between 12:30 PM and 3:30 PM as published in your cruise documents. Please do not arrive at the cruise terminal prior to 12:30 PM. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I'm guessing in a few days we will get one of those for our Indy cruise leaving next Friday - it's coming from Europe so the same immigration/Coast Guard delays will probably apply. :mad:

I just got this one.

I would take that one a bit more seriously, but I would still get to the pier and check in early. We were on Liberty's first cruise after her TA in 2011 and arrived at the pier around 11:00. We checked in right away and then had to wait a little over an hour to board. By the time we were heading up the stairs, the line to check in was out the door and around the building.:eek: I'd rather wait in the terminal and be onboard sooner than melt in the hot sun for over an hour.

Here's my experience. I was on the Allure sailing back in May, and I was on the last group to leave the ship. My group didn't get off the ship until around 11:30, which probably means that no one was allowed to board until we were finally out.

Having said that, the terminal that RCI has at that port is very good, with free WiFi, and a nice waiting room segregated by suite and Crown and Anchor status. So even if you arrive early, and it takes a long time to get everyone off the previous sailing, you will probably be comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

left hotel at 11am with taxi. $20 from Hyatt House (Dania Beach) to port.

15 min ride. check in immediately. no lines. You go to the line according to your floor. Then get wrist bands for kids. Took pix with Fiona from Shrek Movie, get onboard and eating pizza by 12 noon by the pool. Very well organized. We weren't even the early ones. There were plenty of people there before us. Best suggestion from CC was bring your bathing suits. Kids were suited up and in the empty pool by noon. They were having a blast while we hung out. After 2pm when people got their rooms, there were more people in the pool but it was great before when it was empty. One hour from hotel, check in to sitting by the pool.

Got the same email for our November 3 Allure sailing. Ignored it. Got to the pier11-ish. No wait for a porter, no wait at check-in. Went upstairs, we were in the 5th row of "gold" Crown & Anchor members. Boarding started at 11:30 a.m. ... not only did we get the email, but someone with a microphone at the port said boarding would be delayed by "a full Coast Guard inspection."

Seated for lunch in the Windjammer just a few minutes before Noon.

Future cruisers, feel free to ignore that email if you get the same one.