LAX to port

iriemon

Can anyone tell me how far it is from LAX to the port? Anyone have any idea of the taxi fare for 2 people? Are there any other options besides the Princess transfers?

Thanks

The distance is about 20 miles. But the time it takes to drive there is between 30 mins and 1 1/2 hours depending on the day of the week and time of day. You have to travel on the famous L.A. Freeways.

A taxi is about $80 providing there are no delays. Suggest you look inot reserving a shuttle, either Prime Time or Super Shuttle. But, if you are arriving without much time to spare before the ship departs, then suggest the Princess option.

Can anyone tell me how far it is from LAX to the port? Anyone have any idea of the taxi fare for 2 people? Are there any other options besides the Princess transfers?

Thanks

It is about 40 miles to the port. Fare runs anywhere $50 to $100 depending on the traffic .

We have experienced Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle from lax to port and in reverse. Cost without prebooking is $16 - $17 p.p. each way.

You sometimes have a bit of a wait even with prebooking if they are waiting for other passengers. We now just go outside of the terminal and look for the vans (blue or red) without prebooking. They try to group you with passengers going the same place, do a loop or so around the terminal until they get close to full or 75% full and then you are on your way. With all that, it usually has taken us less than one hour from hopping in to getting to the port.

They have a policy of no more than 20 minute delay before getting on way , even if not full.

Princess transfers is the only way to go. For the per person fare, your luggage is taken care of and the next time you see it is when it shows up in your cabin. You're guaranteed to get to the ship before it sails and the return trip leaves early enough to get you to the airport in plenty of time for your flight.

There are probably less expensive ways but you get what you pay for.

The distance is about 20 miles. But the time it takes to drive there is between 30 mins and 1 1/2 hours depending on the day of the week and time of day. You have to travel on the famous L.A. Freeways.

A taxi is about $80 providing there are no delays. Suggest you look inot reserving a shuttle, either Prime Time or Super Shuttle. But, if you are arriving without much time to spare before the ship departs, then suggest the Princess option.

Taxi rate is fixed from the port to LAX at $57 for up to 4 passengers as of 8 months ago. There are a million threads on this same topic, at least 1 a week.

Princess transfers is the only way to go. For the per person fare, your luggage is taken care of and the next time you see it is when it shows up in your cabin. You're guaranteed to get to the ship before it sails and the return trip leaves early enough to get you to the airport in plenty of time for your flight.

There are probably less expensive ways but you get what you pay for.

I have to disagree with this. We did a one way from LA to Vancouver and didn't want to leave our car at the port so we parked at LAX and took the Princess shuttle. Thought we were doing the right thing but it turned into a nightmare. First, they did not take us to the pier. They took us to a hotel where we waited for hours. We did check in there with bus loads of people and only 3 people to check everyone in. Most weren't prepared and if you got behind someone who didn't have everything in order you stood there forever. Since we were in a hotel we had very limited seating. Most people sat on the floor for the entire time. They did give us water and muffins. We had friends take the shuttle and they were on board hours before us and they left around the same time as us. Never again.

Oh, and the bus they used, caught on fire. The entire back end of the bus filled with smoke in seconds after we were at the hotel. The people in front are busy grabbing their carryons until we yelled at them to GET OFF THE BUS. We literally couldn't see them it was that thick.

Edited by notentirelynormal

We have experienced Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle from lax to port and in reverse. Cost without prebooking is $16 - $17 p.p. each way.

You sometimes have a bit of a wait even with prebooking if they are waiting for other passengers. We now just go outside of the terminal and look for the vans (blue or red) without prebooking. They try to group you with passengers going the same place, do a loop or so around the terminal until they get close to full or 75% full and then you are on your way. With all that, it usually has taken us less than one hour from hopping in to getting to the port.

They have a policy of no more than 20 minute delay before getting on way , even if not full.

so do you do this often? just go out and get the shuttle? no problem? thanks martha:)

I have to disagree with this. We did a one way from LA to Vancouver and didn't want to leave our car at the port so we parked at LAX and took the Princess shuttle. Thought we were doing the right thing but it turned into a nightmare. First, they did not take us to the pier. They took us to a hotel where we waited for hours. We did check in there with bus loads of people and only 3 people to check everyone in. Most weren't prepared and if you got behind someone who didn't have everything in order you stood there forever. Since we were in a hotel we had very limited seating. Most people sat on the floor for the entire time. They did give us water and muffins. We had friends take the shuttle and they were on board hours before us and they left around the same time as us. Never again.

Oh, and the bus they used, caught on fire. The entire back end of the bus filled with smoke in seconds after we were at the hotel. The people in front are busy grabbing their carryons until we yelled at them to GET OFF THE BUS. We literally couldn't see them it was that thick.

I've used the shuttle from LAX to San Pedro many times and none of the above has happened. I would think that perhaps your experiences were unusual.

They probably took you to the hotel because of logistical issues. That's not the fault of the transfer company. People not having their documents prepared isn't the fault of the transfer company either. The bus catching fire, is the fault of the transfer company, but as I say, unusual experience. If that was a regular occurance people wouldn't be using the transfers.

How did your friends like the Princess Transfers?

The best way of doing this is to stay the night before near the port (in San Pedro). That way there's no worries if there's a lot of traffic (and even on weekends the 405 can be jammed up). You'll there, can have a relaxing, go to the local grocery or drug store if you forgot to pack something. The next day, get on the hotel shuttle to the port (it's a good idea to check to make sure your hotel has a shuttle but the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza will take you there).

I've used the shuttle from LAX to San Pedro many times and none of the above has happened. I would think that perhaps your experiences were unusual.

They probably took you to the hotel because of logistical issues. That's not the fault of the transfer company. People not having their documents prepared isn't the fault of the transfer company either. The bus catching fire, is the fault of the transfer company, but as I say, unusual experience. If that was a regular occurance people wouldn't be using the transfers.

How did your friends like the Princess Transfers?

Whatever the reason they took us to the hotel we should have been told that was where we were going before we boarded the bus. Not getting to the ship until 2 hours before sailing when we met the bus at 10 am is unacceptable.

No it is not the cruiselines fault people didn't have documentation. It IS their fault that they only had 3 people to process hundreds of people with no place for them to fill in paperwork, no place to sit, no directions. They could have said "ok, this group is next". Instead all these people had to line up and wait and wait and wait with all their carryon in a very small room. They sent you out of line to fill in documents and you had to wait your turn again (albeit you were next in line).

I was in line for over an hour. Old people had to stand for over an hour. People with small children had to stand or be held for over an hour. Handicapped had to stand for over an hour. There was no priority for Elite or handicapped. This is unacceptable. The staff was untrained. There were language barriers. You had to keep all your carry on luggage with you. You couldn't wait somewhere else because there was nowhere else to wait. Heaven forbid if you left a seat you found. There were no more to be had. Plus one person waiting in line would have to leave to get the others thus losing their place in line.

Unusual for the bus to catch on fire - sure. An experience I want to ever repeat - not so much. The way they handled it - D-. The bus people were busy checking out the fire. They SHOULD have been busy getting people off the bus. They were not. Princess hired these people and they are the bottom line of who is responsible for our safety.

We had 8 of us doing this transfer. None of us planned to spend our first day of the cruise sitting on the floor of a hotel lobby.

Edited by notentirelynormal

PS are the super shuttles at the ports as well??:confused:

Yes, they are at the port as well as the airport. Just look for the representatives on the centre island. They're usually wearing either red (Primetime) or blue (Supershuttle) vests. If you don't see them, just ask the traffic control guys.

Edited by ell52

Yes, they are at the port as well as the airport. Just look for the representatives on the centre island. They're usually wearing either red (Primetime) or blue (Supershuttle) vests. If you don't see them, just ask the traffic control guys.

thanks!!

• 4 months later...

I've made our Super Shuttle reservation for LAX to our San Pedro hotel. However, I can't remember what we did last time AFTER the cruise. Do I need a SS reservation on disembarkation day? When I put in our parameters, it says the earliest they will pick up for our 1:55 PM flight is 10:40 AM. Don't really want to wait at the cruise terminal that long. Can we just walk outside and catch the next available shuttle? Maybe I should just look at my airline's schedule and "fib" a little and put in an earlier flight so that we get an earlier pick up?

Post #5 stated the distance from LAX is 40 miles....it's 20 miles one-way. Either the post meant roundtrip, or they were thinking km :)

Two comments to OP- in LA, we think of "distance" as travel time, not mileage. That's because travel time can vary widely depending on day of the week and time. Also, there are two "ports" in LA...the LA World Cruise Center in San Pedro (which everyone but Carnival uses), and the Carnival facility in Long Beach. Be sure everyone including taxi and shuttle drivers is clear on which one you mean. I would say "San Pedro....not Long Beach" to the driver.

I've made our Super Shuttle reservation for LAX to our San Pedro hotel. However, I can't remember what we did last time AFTER the cruise. Do I need a SS reservation on disembarkation day? When I put in our parameters, it says the earliest they will pick up for our 1:55 PM flight is 10:40 AM. Don't really want to wait at the cruise terminal that long. Can we just walk outside and catch the next available shuttle? Maybe I should just look at my airline's schedule and "fib" a little and put in an earlier flight so that we get an earlier pick up?

We sailed out of San Pedro in the beginning of the month. There were many, many Supershuttle vans and taxis waiting.

Let Princess know what time you need to leave on your debarkation form and allow at least 30 minutes more to get thru CBP. Princess debarkation was organized but extremely long lasting. We got off the ship at 10am and people were still getting off past noon. (DH got stuck in traffic.)

We usually use the cruise shuttle from the port to the airport after a cruise. It may be a little more expensive, but it's always dependable.