Transdermal patch ? For seasickness

bitsey66

I assume your referring to the scopolamine transdermal patch? It can be worn for up to 72hours and the medication is administered via the adhesive side which has a silver color. As long as it is still sticking then you will still be getting the medication. Be very cautious when touching this patch. If you get the medication on your fingers then accidentally touch your eyes, it can cause your eyes to dilate. Wash your hands well when removing. It also can cause some undesirable side effects such as blurred vision.

Agree with the above poster...Undesirable side effects may not be worth it..You might try Bonine (chewable raspberry flavored) if at all necessary...which hopefully it will not. Best of luck and have a wonderful cruise.

I am quite prone to motion sickness and have used the transdermal scapolomine patch. My sister and Mother can't....it makes them quite sick. It does dry out my mouth a lot, but is certainly effective.

I might suggest you try one a week or two before our cruise just in case you have a reaction. You don't want to ruin your vacation that way.

I will say that I haven't used one in quite some time. Most ships are large enough that most movements don't bother me. If I need a little something, I use meclazine or crystallized ginger.....but I bring one patch along just in case!!!

@tag- the only cruise I've been on it was rough the last 2 days, I was nauseated enough to go ask for something & they gave me Meclazine & all was well again. My husband has only been deep sea fishing and got sick. He's Not sure if it was due to his broken back & surgeries, rough waters or if he just gets seasick. It may be overkill but it's better than him being sick, in pain worse from vomiting, and having a lousy honeymoon!

To answer your specific question the patch is like small bandaid. They usually will stay on for the full three days even with swimming, showering etc. BUT, sometimes, just like a bandaid, they fall off.

But be careful. My husband once thought he lost his, and he put on another one. In a few hours his mouth was really dry - which is a symptom I used to get when I used the patch, but he normally doesn't.

Later that night when he was getting dressed for dinner I noticed the old patch had not come off but had slipped down and was still stuck to his back - so he had been wearing two patches. Not a good thing.

Anyway - he loves the patches and hasn't had trouble with them sticking for the full 3 days except that once.

We got these "just incase" as hubby has never cruised. It says change it after 72 hours, my question is... After swimming do the need changed even if it's not been 72 hours??

As mentioned, as long as it stays on he can continue to wear it.

Hopefully, the seas will be calm and he won't need it but if he does it's good that you are prepared.

As to whether or not he will need it, everyone is different and some are very prone to motion sickness. And, as to the best remedy there is no best remedy and what works for one person doesn't work for another. To those that say it is overkill, while many don't need or use the patch, some do. I don't but that doesn't mean someone else should not.

Keith

Well, like I said, we don't know for sure if he does get seasick, he did once, on a deep sea fishing boat which obviously is smaller and it was shortly after he broke his back, now it's 12 years later. We DO KNOW for sure that if he ends up vomiting (any time, any place or for any reason) it puts him in so much pain because he broke his back 12 years ago and has steel cages around his vertebraes. The heaving hurts him so that he's miserable and useless for a day or two. We want to prevent it as much as possible. I also have 4 Dramamine in my bag. All medications have side effects. He's used to the dry mouth from his Tramadol, and also has Anisocoria, so we're not concerned with the pupils dialating either.

Whomever posted to try it at home first, that's a great idea. We will do that tonight!

I was a girl scout, I'm prepared, LOL! :p

Edited by bitsey66

I'm with you on the "better to be prepared" side. My husband has a propensity for motion sickness - not always, but often. And when he does get it, it tends to take him out of commission for a day or so. Most recently, he got ill on the cog railway to Pike's Peak and was flat out in bed for 24 hours. He's gotten sick on a deep-sea fishing boat, too.

So we're planning on the worst case scenario. Waiting to find out if a big ship is going to make him seasick is too late, as it would waste a day or so of valuable vacation time!