Favorite HAL Deserts?

Sea Belle

I am going to be really disappointed if the desserts are not good. I never eat dessert except on vacation.

You'll likely be disappointed. Years ago they used to be good. Finally tasted the room service chocolate cake when I had lunch in my room one day. Everyone raves about it so I took one for the team. That was good cake.

I do, too. I wonder why it is that the "no sugar added" desserts taste better than the others :confused: At least they do to me!

I agree, I really like the No Sugar added Black Forest Cake :)

As much as I have always loved HAL I will be the first to admit the desserts have never been good:( As others have said they are tasteless or they always look really good but taste nothing like they look. One of the reasons the Dessert Extravaganza to me is definitely no big deal. Now the cruise line that the desserts have always been really good has been Norwegian or at least for me. That first night Key Lime Pie is totally amazing :D

I didn't notice the crème brulee on the Everyday Menu either. :(

I had the cre'me brulee on our Alaska cruise on the Zaandam this past summer, it was served in a large white dish, it was delish!! the waiter said we could order it for the next night if we wished, so we did!! that night it came in a small white dish, and wasn't half as good as the first one!!:(

I asked the question because I don't allow myself to eat deserts except when on vacations. Now I must have the rm. service chocolate cake, and hopefully will be able to enjoy the chocolate purse. I remember a small chocolate souffle' style thing with warm chocolate inside. Was this the volcano by chance? I guess you can tell I'm really a chocolate person....strange since I didn't eat chocolate at all until in my 60's! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll broaden my taste this cruise and branch out a bit!

On the second formal night in the MDR on the Westerdam they had a chocolate tartlet with ganache that was to die for. So smooth and rich! Yummy! Other than that, I was pretty disappointed with desserts on the ship. They were pretty bland and the cakes had a weird soggy consistency

Edited by NoobCruise

At home I normally don't have dessert, but on board Creme' Brulee' in the Pinnacle is to die for:):)

Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce or coffee or chocolate ice cream in the Lido, a couple of times a week...

Dessert at dinner in the MDR might be either Sherbet or a Baileys Irish cream, if I haven't had wine with dinner.. Have to try to watch those desserts!;);)

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I remember a small chocolate souffle' style thing with warm chocolate inside. Was this the volcano by chance?

The chocolate volcano cake is served in the Pinnacle Restaurant, in a bowl somewhat larger than the ramekin a soufflé would be served in.

There is a chocolate soufflé served in the dining room, but it is a fairly pale chocolate. The dining room has also been known to serve a flourless chocolate cake, which does have a melted center. It is darker than the soufflé, and is more like the volcano cake. It is to die for; I like it better than the volcano cake, if they have it at all.

Reading this thread...eating a decadent sundae of homemade salted caramel ice cream with caramel sauce and whipped cream! DH just walked down to the Square to the ice cream shop that makes their own...this is awesome!

Wondering what this trend is toward salted caramel, chocolate w/sea salt, etc. Something new for sure. Sorry to go "off topic" there but I just couldn't resist...this is so good!

Edited by innlady1

Reading this thread...eating a decadent sundae of homemade salted caramel ice cream with caramel sauce and whipped cream! DH just walked down to the Square to the ice cream shop that makes their own...this is awesome!

Wondering what this trend is toward salted caramel, chocolate w/sea salt, etc. Something new for sure. Sorry to go "off topic" there but I just couldn't resist...this is so good!

We shopped in a fabulous chocolate shop in Seattle last year, Franz Chocolates, located in Four Seasons Hotel. That was the first time we'd seen/tasted salted carmels in chocolate. Apparently the West Coast has had them for a while and maybe they are newer here on the right coast? :D

I asked the question because I don't allow myself to eat deserts except when on vacations. Now I must have the rm. service chocolate cake, and hopefully will be able to enjoy the chocolate purse. I remember a small chocolate souffle' style thing with warm chocolate inside. Was this the volcano by chance? I guess you can tell I'm really a chocolate person....strange since I didn't eat chocolate at all until in my 60's! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll broaden my taste this cruise and branch out a bit!

I did not see the chocolate purse on my Eurodam cruise in October.

On the second formal night in the MDR on the Westerdam they had a chocolate tartlet with ganache that was to die for. So smooth and rich! Yummy! Other than that, I was pretty disappointed with desserts on the ship. They were pretty bland and the cakes had a weird soggy consistency

I believe they did have that on the Eurodam. It was fine but nothing exception to me.

I agree, I really like the No Sugar added Black Forest Cake :)

As much as I have always loved HAL I will be the first to admit the desserts have never been good:( As others have said they are tasteless or they always look really good but taste nothing like they look. One of the reasons the Dessert Extravaganza to me is definitely no big deal. Now the cruise line that the desserts have always been really good has been Norwegian or at least for me. That first night Key Lime Pie is totally amazing :D

Desserts were very good about 10 -15 years ago.

Edited by lorekauf

HAL excels at so many things, but I don't think desserts are one of them. We have found the chocolate chip cookies from room service to be far better than what they offer in the Lido. Order a plate of those while you are ordering the chocolate cake!

the Chocolate Fortune cookie at Tamarind, and the Tiramisu at Canaletto are two favorites of ours. It is all so good, better than we can make at home. mmm cant wait. one more week until we sail.

The desserts are good in the specialty restaurants but you are paying for it.