Summit our of Bayonne - Best place on ship to watch departure from NYC?

katrocity1

I have seen videos of the exciting departure from NY harbor on Celebrity Summit, where the ship travels under the bridge. I'm wondering what are the best areas on the ship to watch the departure?

Thanks!

Traveling next summer to Bermuda. First cruise.

Any outside deck will afford a great view of going under the Verrazano Bridge. The best side to see the New York skyline & the Statue of Liberty is. Port side (left), however, since you are sailing from Bayonne, you not sail past the Statue. If you have a camera with a decent zoom, you can get nice photos of the skyline & statue.

Enjoy your first cruise! Summit is a great ship!

You can't see the NY skyline and Statue of Liberty from the same side. NYC is on the port side, Lady Liberty off Starboard as you leave the harbour.

Wrong departure point. Bayonne is south of the Statue and NYC. Bayonne is situated on the left side of Upper New York Bay, and just west of Brooklyn.

Pardon my ignorance. But just looked at New York departures and celebrity website shows New Jersey. Not New York???

Celebrity (and Royal Caribbean) ships departs from Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, NJ, which is opposite New York City(right across NY Harbor, with views of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn), and a fairly short and quick drive through the Holland or Lincoln Tunnels from NYC if traffic is cooperating(still a short distance, but not so quick if traffic is heavy) to the port.

We sailed out of Bayonne, and you do see the Statue of Liberty! We sat at the outside bar on the aft of the ship, can't remember what it's named. Beautiful views of the 911 memorial teardrop, the statue of Liberty, and the NY City skyline.

The 911 Teardrop Memorial can be seen from the ship while in port--also a great view on the return day early a.m. you can google to get the story about it.

Lady Liberty is not as good a view as when ships leave from NYC but can be seen....

and Verranzano bridge views as you approach it & go under are phenomenal!

Enjoy!!!!

1951555569_911memorial.jpg.5fcbad1e38cf059da8da512dbdf80e18.jpg

1165193518_Libertyskyline.jpg.b3b7ee65f2bf4521965e61592e1f2bdc.jpg

Here are some links to photos of the Statue of Liberty and Manhatten seen while cruising out from Bayonne (click here) and when arriving at Bayonne (click here)

You do not pass real close but it you can see the statue. There will be different spots on board to see the statue as you progress from the pier through the harbor.

I remember when we arrived in New York at the end of a TA cruise in NY. I was sitting out on an aft veranda of the Constellation and it was still dark. I was totally unprepared as we passed under the bridge and it gave us quite a shock to see it "pass" overhead so close to us!

Edited by Lsimon

Here are some links to photos of the Statue of Liberty and Manhatten seen while cruising out from Bayonne (click here) and when arriving at Bayonne (click here)

You do not pass real close but it you can see the statue. There will be different spots on board to see the statue as you progress from the pier through the harbor.

I remember when we arrived in New York at the end of a TA cruise in NY. I was sitting out on an aft veranda of the Constellation and it was still dark. I was totally unprepared as we passed under the bridge and it gave us quite a shock to see it "pass" overhead so close to us!

I love that view as you go under the bridge, our NJ hometown is also visible from that point.

A little off topic but interesting was a TV show that is a few years old about the Queen Mary doing a transatlantic. They were scheduled to leave NYC at the normal time in the afternoon but got delayed by a medical emergency and left a few hours late. They were then sweating out going under the bridge due to it now being high tide. I recall the pilot telling the Captain to go right down the middle of the bridge. There were only a few feet of clearance.