Opting out of Automatic Gratuities

In regards to MTD I understand that generally most people don't have the same waiters each day and it would be difficult to tip after each meal.

However for me...I loved having the same waiting staff each night when I used to cruise before MTD. But I love the flexibility of eating a different times each night and having a table of 2 (which is easier in MTD). So each night we called and reserved a table with the same waiting staff that we had the first night. Sometimes we weren't always able to get the exact time we wanted, but we made that sacrifice. It was certainly worth it as Louie and his Assistant were amazing. I know that they make it their job to remember your name and generally speaking everyone is really polite. I know the waiters mention the next days port at the end of a meal and I assume that most waiters probably ask about what you have been up to in [insert port name here] that day. But sitting with Louie and his assistant each night took it up to a new level.

If we mentioned a certain activity we would be doing, the next day they would ask about that particular activity. They remembered our drinks orders and often had them ready for us as we arrived. They got to know which foods we liked and made recommendations based on that, rather than something pre-written for them. One evening we skipped eating in the MDR as we had been to Johnny Rockets mid afternoon and then slept late afternoon, we then had room service late eve. The next day Louie and his assistant both commented on the fact that they had missed us and checked if everything was ok :)

It was great knowing that they deserved our pre-paid gratuities from start to finish (as I guess it would be difficult to take off one days waiting gratuities if you had an issue with just one meal) but at the end of the cruise we then tipped extra in cash (as well as explained we had pre-paid on top of that).

The hosts were amazing at facilitating our request, one evening they sat us in a different section next to Louie's. The section we were in had a few empty tables so we were not stepping on toes and blocking that waiting team from earning their tips. Louie happily came and waited on us in that section instead :D

Can't wait to go on the next cruises we have booked and we will be doing the same again, seeing where they it us the first night for MTD and then requesting that section every night if we are happy with the service.

Well tipping is not mandatory as far as I know. Like if you go to a restaurant, they will not stop you from leaving without leaving a tip. Or at a hotel, or anywhere. Yes, I understand they work hard and most of their income comes from tips. But it is not mandatory so I dont see why people would get irritated by others not tipping if they do not want to.

There was one ocassion, where a waiter actually followed a customer to the parking lot, asking why the tip was so low. The customer said that the service didn't warrant more.

We had just parked and were walking toward the restaurant at the time. Our service was fine.

The prepay for MTD was initiated long ago as you had different waiters every night and this was to ensure that they were all tipped appropriately. With now having he auto gratuities it would make sense for RCI to move away from the prepaid and have everyone on the auto gratuity.

This would mean a change to their IT system and we all know how well they do that.:D

Makes sense! I do work in IT.

But at least before we could decide on MyTD on the ship and switch to autotips. Last time we did not book MTD to avoid prepayment...and could not get MTD on ship. Brilliance.

Well, prepaid are never paid till FP, unless you pay the whole cruise off early.

So the small amount of money for PP tips is never tied up for very long at all, or that's not an excuse

People invest money in various ways. I do not understand what excuse has to do with it. It is normal to charge for a service when service has been provided. Not before.

There was one ocassion, where a waiter actually followed a customer to the parking lot, asking why the tip was so low. The customer said that the service didn't warrant more.

We had just parked and were walking toward the restaurant at the time. Our service was fine.

As far as I am concerned, I like that the waiter asked why and I also like that the customer responded. Hopefully, that customer never runs into that waiter again and if they did, I most definitely would not eat the food. I am sure the waiter will not forget.

People invest money in various ways. I do not understand what excuse has to do with it. It is normal to charge for a service when service has been provided. Not before.

I also agree with you. I have never received bad service on a cruise as of yet but know of many people who have. If you prepay your tip, it is almost impossible to get back. I always wait for service to be provided before I tip.

I don't like prepay, as we book early, why tie up additional money? I am fine with automated tips though.

I think RCI is the only company that charges them upfront if you want flex dining. Why?

I also would like to know the answer to this. If they automatically charge your account every day anyway, they are still getting the same amount of tips.

On another cruise line that also charges automatically, they put the envelopes at the customer service desk so that people can pick them up if they want to give extra tips to the staff. I like that idea better as handing out the envelopes on the last day might make a lot of people feel guilty if they don't use them. We do give extra to our room & waiters.

I don't like prepay, as we book early, why tie up additional money? I am fine with automated tips though.

I think RCI is the only company that charges them upfront if you want flex dining. Why?

I also would like to know the answer to this. If they automatically charge your account every day anyway, they are still getting the same amount of tips.

On another cruise line that also charges automatically, they put the envelopes at the customer service desk so that people can pick them up if they want to give extra tips to the staff. I like that idea better as handing out the envelopes on the last day might make a lot of people feel guilty if they don't use them. We do give extra to our room & waiters.

I understand that you cannot opp out of the auto gratuity if it is paid at final. However you can opp out of the per day fee added to your sea-pass!

The service we have received on 99% of our cruises was above and beyond wonderful with only one, a MTD reservation with a has-been waiter that I will imagine will receive what he sows.. That was the only required tip I would have changed along with one other I redirected to the Asst Waiter who out performed the Waiter. I won't even talk about head waiters and why we tip them.. LOLOLOL.

I am more in line with the Brits and the Aussies, build it in to the charges so everyone pays them!!! We had several conversations last week on the TA about tipping and heard so many say they were not going to tip out for whatever WEAK reason. We eat in the WJ, so what, the staff mans it for you as well and then work in the MDR too. We feel it's RCI responsibility to pay a wage to the employees and not ours to support them with tips. We don't tip at home, the change is adequate to leave. We only tip for extra service, not for someone doing their job. and on and on.......

After hearing many of these comments, I elected to remove my auto tips and hand cash to all the servers and attendants that waited on us so that they would KNOW that WE did not stiff them like so many others aboard did I am afraid.

So just make it a required service charge or build it into the amount of the cruise and the staff will be rewarded for their great service without those who don't tip for whatever reason!!! Those of us who want to add to that can then do so when the time is right!!!

It's not just one or two countries who are known for not tipping; it can be anyone from anywhere and when it happens to you, a server, you really feel shafted and then try to wait on the next person who just spent a $100 on booze and wouldn't leave a tip!!! Come on folks, get a life.

done, posted. catharsis !

So I've read on here before that you can chose not to have the automatic gratuities added to your sea pass account. Personally I like the old ways of giving the staff cash in an envelope, this way I know that my money is going to the proper people. So How do you opt out? I know that you have to go to guest relations, but is this something that you have to do on the first day? Do you go on the last night? I rather not do that because I know it can be extremely crowded. Do you have to go each day they add the $12 or is it something that you tell them you don't want once and it stands for the entire length of the cruise? IF someone can shed some light that would be great

Your just looking to save money.

just off the Serenade last week. our prepaid gratuities were prepaid not added onto the SeaPass account. we like this because everyone get's their share. so, we only need to additionally tip for service/personalities we particularly like. we added cash tips for Carlos & Joseph out MTD team, a pool attendant that kept our smoking club area spit shined and always had a smile. also our room steward. what was kind of annoying was the bar tending or wait staff in the lounges who kind of looked annoyed when no additional tip was added didn't they see that auto 15% percent on every tab?

no. want to fly? pay up front weeks if not months before.

want concert tickets? pay up front weeks if not months before. want to cruise? gotta be paid in full up front 45 days before.

in my opinion there are 2 kinds of people who gripe about having to prepay grats:

the ones who fully intend to stiff the staff due to cheapness or some sort of self imposed justification( right or wrong) to do so, and the ones that want the entire world to know how wonderful and generous they are by handing out envelopes in person on the last day. it is not about rewarding the staff, it's about rewarding THEMSELVES. making them feel better about their actions.

I sued to know someone that went around all the time telling everyone what a great Christian she was( in those exact words) because she did this that and the other thing( Oh, I volunteered at the soup kitchen today! I am such a great person feeding all those homeless people!) it was all about making her look good, not actually doing good.

recently on a rci cruise I asked my waiter which he preferred.. the cash envelopes or the prepaid tips... he and a few other waiters said they preferred the prepaid as it goes directly into their accounts... and there seemed to be less skippingout of tips with people who didn't show up on envelope nite....he also said anything he gets on top of the mandatory tip he can keep so it motivates them to give as best service as they can in hopes of receiving even more than the mandatory tip

I ask this question often after establishing a rapport with the serving staff. The answer I get is pretty much always the same: They prefer the prepaid/automatic tipping AND wish everyone would just do that. I would guess that if all passengers just left the tips the way they are (no adding or subtracting), the staff would be very happy.

We do tip more on a few occasions. If any crew member mentions they have the next port day off, my DW will almost always tell them she is buying their lunch and will give them $20. Also, if I ask our steward for anything way beyond the norm, I tip on the spot. We also give the room service crew a couple of buck each time they deliver our goodies.

OMG how did I miss my favorite thread:D!!

OP-first day or any other day/night you can go, get them removed and or stopped. Easy Peasy and ignore the 4 pages of people calling you cheap or assuming you are stiffing the staff!!:D

in my opinion there are 2 kinds of people who gripe about having to prepay grats:

the ones who fully intend to stiff the staff due to cheapness or some sort of self imposed justification( right or wrong) to do so, and the ones that want the entire world to know how wonderful and generous they are by handing out envelopes in person on the last day. it is not about rewarding the staff, it's about rewarding THEMSELVES. making them feel better about their actions.

Harsh. Borderline. I LIKE IT! :D:p

OP-first day or any other day/night you can go, get them removed and or stopped. Easy Peasy and ignore the 4 pages of people calling you cheap or assuming you are stiffing the staff!!:D

Great Post!!! I so agree with you!

Great Post!!! I so agree with you!

Yes, it is an accurate post that gave the answer the OP asked. Typical of taking 4 pages for someone to actually have an answer to the question asked.

The world would be much better if people would just worry about themselves instead of trying to manage everyone else's lives and telling them what they should or shouldn't do. :rolleyes: Maybe these people have empty nest syndrome?:p

Typical of taking 4 pages for someone to actually have an answer to the question asked.

Meh, Merion Mom gave the correct answer in the very FIRST reply :) Really no need for any input after that.

Its just typical of CC in general to go to these many pages arguing, especially when it involves one of the most highly debated subjects on this forum.

Personally, Id pay the automatic gratuities and be done with it. It matters not to me if someone else does or not. Its just like the dress code. I will be doing as suggested. I dont care what others wear to dinner though as long as they wear something. ;)

Edited by ryano

I just feel like now that royal is doing an automatic tip policy it's their digression how they divide it up. Before, you had a recommended amount, you put your money in an envelope and you give it directly to your wait staff and room staff.. Now, it's all left up to royal. I'm not saying they will keep it for themselves, but how do you know the 'recommended' amount is going to them? I know people on the forums has said "oh you can just give more" but sorry, i'm not doing that. So this way I know that for the great work they do, they are getting tipped for it. It's really just for peace of mind.

actually by leaving tips on and just giving more you are doing just that, tipping them for the great work they do.

Well tipping is not mandatory as far as I know. Like if you go to a restaurant, they will not stop you from leaving without leaving a tip. Or at a hotel, or anywhere. Yes, I understand they work hard and most of their income comes from tips. But it is not mandatory so I dont see why people would get irritated by others not tipping if they do not want to.

Lots of things are not mandatory. I'm not sure what that has to do with not being irritating. So, yeah, it would irritate me to know that servers. who work hard and depend on tips for most of their income, were not being tipped.

The right thing to do is often not mandated. :cool:

I leave in 2 days, and have decided to remove the auto tips as soon as I get on board. I am going to pre-pay the first night this go around, to see how I like this process. I always pay the minimum, and more if warranted. Will do so this trip as well.

If Royal wants to have a "daily service charge", then say so, until then, leave the tipping to me.

What about guests who never eat a meal in the main dining room? Some could go to dinner every night in a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer, so should they still automatically tip the waiters in the main dining room who they never even see, much less receive any service from?

I leave in 2 days, and have decided to remove the auto tips as soon as I get on board. I am going to pre-pay the first night this go around, to see how I like this process. I always pay the minimum, and more if warranted. Will do so this trip as well.

If Royal wants to have a "daily service charge", then say so, until then, leave the tipping to me.

So you are going to pre-pay everyone in cash? That's a new one.

What about guests who never eat a meal in the main dining room? Some could go to dinner every night in a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer, so should they still automatically tip the waiters in the main dining room who they never even see, much less receive any service from?

It is my understanding that the tips are spread out to all of the wait staffs. Eat in MDR or wherever, you are covered. Auto tips means not worrying about any of this stuff! Just cruise and have fun!