Best way to get Table for two..traditional or anytime?

edgee

We are doing last minute booking just 3 weeks out on Emerald. We are experienced cruisers who strongly prefer early dining table for two. Due to postings on this forum we are concerned about long waits for table for two under Anytime dining, yet assume that as last minute bookers we would have trouble getting a table for two under traditional early dining. Is it correct to assume that we would likely not get our traditional dining preference for two and should make the best of Anytime dining? Any advice would be appreciated.

We like early traditional seating and tables for two. If at this late date you can get anything in early traditional then go for it. Once on board check with the maître d the first day and see if you can get your table for two. They do try to accommodate your wishes. They could put you in anytime with a standing reservation each night. It has happened to us a few times. Worst case if it doesn't work out you can always change to anytime. Just let them know that you have changed.

While all the tables for two are probably assigned for first seating TD, it can't hurt to ask.

Then when you board, go to your assigned dining room and find your table. If it is for 2, you are set. If not, go see the maitre 'd (time and place in Patter) and ask for a table for 2. If that fails, then switch to AD.

Just know that very few two tops are separated by more than a foot from another table. It's not like you are given a romantic corner.:D

You might be able to get a four top to yourselves in anytime dining if you go real early.

DH and I always opt for Anytime Dining and always ask for a table for two...and we are early eaters as well (5:30ish). We've never experienced a problem and rarely had to wait. If we did have to wait it was maybe 10-15 minutes max. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

We like early traditional seating and tables for two. If at this late date you can get anything in early traditional then go for it. Once on board check with the maître d the first day and see if you can get your table for two. They do try to accommodate your wishes. They could put you in anytime with a standing reservation each night. It has happened to us a few times. Worst case if it doesn't work out you can always change to anytime. Just let them know that you have changed.

I agree with Joe's suggestions & on a recent cruise we never had a problem getting a table for 2 in the anytime dining room at 5:30. After we found a great waiter we got a standing reservation for the same table each night.

Tables for 2 on most ships are very close however many of them on the Royal sat one on a chair & the other like in a long booth. Because each person had to access the table there was more room between tables than on other Princess ships we've sailed.

We are doing last minute booking just 3 weeks out on Emerald. We are experienced cruisers who strongly prefer early dining table for two. Due to postings on this forum we are concerned about long waits for table for two under Anytime dining, yet assume that as last minute bookers we would have trouble getting a table for two under traditional early dining. Is it correct to assume that we would likely not get our traditional dining preference for two and should make the best of Anytime dining? Any advice would be appreciated.

At about 8:00 AM dial 3-4-6-3 (DINE) on your cabin phone and ask for a table for two at x:00 in the anytime dining room. Repeat daily!

If on the first night you really like your server, note your table number, and the next morning when you call in ask them to note a request for table "x"

It's just that simple!

At about 8:00 AM dial 3-4-6-3 (DINE) on your cabin phone and ask for a table for two at x:00 in the anytime dining room. Repeat daily!

If on the first night you really like your server, note your table number, and the next morning when you call in ask them to note a request for table "x"

It's just that simple!

After we discovered a great waiter we were able to get a nightly reservation at the same table & time time without having to call daily. Although based on posts I've read this isn't always possible to do. If we were dining elsewhere we called DINE to inform them that we wouldn't be there that night.

although the Patters noted that the anytime dining room didn't open until 5:30 on the CB, we found them open at 5 and went early. No problem with table for 2. all were filled by 5:30. If you don't mind eating early, that' the way to do it.

... We've never experienced a problem and rarely had to wait. If we did have to wait it was maybe 10-15 minutes max. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Or it may look like this taken at 6:30. A 20 min wait in line to get a pager to wait 45 min...

Part of it may depend on timing, part on luck, and part on defining what a problem is.

10581992145_f9153c79cd.jpg

2013-10-22_17-36-18_47 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

Edited by MauiLvrs

If you prefer traditional dining, and there are still openings, take that. When onboard, try to get a table for two. If you cannot, you can always change to anytime dining. If you are an experienced cruiser, I am sure you know that traditional to anytime can always be obtained, but the reverse, almost never.

Or it may look like this taken at 6:30. A 20 min wait in line to get a pager to wait 45 min...

Part of it may depend on timing, part on luck, and part on defining what a problem is.

10581992145_f9153c79cd.jpg

2013-10-22_17-36-18_47 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

Just like a restaurant on land. Anytime means you can show up anytime, but if a number of other people decide their anytime is the same as yours, some will have to wait a while.

Just like a restaurant on land. Anytime means you can show up anytime, but if a number of other people decide their anytime is the same as yours, some will have to wait a while.

Except it isn't on land ...

We were debating giving anytime another chance on the Sapphire to try the various dining rooms.

Thanks for reminding us that we don't really want to do that...

We'll keep our traditional :D

Edited by MauiLvrs

It's just that simple!

Interesting. Last summer, on the Grand, we were told that they didn't take reservations for parties of 2 for Anytime Dining. We also learned that we had to line up at 4:45 to get a table for 2. By 5:30 they were all full. If we got in line at 4:45, along with LOTS of other people, we usually could get a table for 2 (after waiting in the line until they opened a little bit after 5:00).

So I guess it varies from ship to ship.

Edited by love2relax

Our experience on Diamond Princess and Crown Princess didn't differ by much but with Anytime, we always went early at about 5:30 and always got a table for 2. Once we were seated at a table for 4 but had it to ourselves. We usually went to the show afterwards and then got a snack in the buffet (usually chocolate strawberries, fruit, or some deli meats/cheese

Interesting. Last summer, on the Grand, we were told that they didn't take reservations for parties of 2 for Anytime Dining. We also learned that we had to line up at 4:45 to get a table for 2. By 5:30 they were all full. If we got in line at 4:45, along with LOTS of other people, we usually could get a table for 2 (after waiting in the line until they opened a little bit after 5:00).

So I guess it varies from ship to ship.

I think that's the bottom line & could vary from cruise to cruise on the same ship...maybe even day to day. ;) Unfortunately too much demand for a certain type of table at a certain time results in such situations.

On our recent TA on the Royal the AT dining room we went to didn't get busy until after 6:00 so we went at 5:30 & easily got a table for 2 without having to line up like you. Hopefully it works better for you & my experience has been that most times dining around 8:00 results in no delays if that works for you.

... the AT dining room we went to didn't get busy until after 6:00 so we went at 5:30 & easily got a table for 2 without having to line up like you. Hopefully it works better for you & my experience has been that most times dining around 8:00 results in no delays if that works for you.

Once we got my Brother and SIL to give on on eating at 6:30-7:00 and instead eat at 7:45 ... we had no waiting ... but then that defeats the purpose of anytime. We didn't mind as we would have been happy with traditional late anyway.

I don't mind waiting a few min, but if I see empty tables and Im waiting 45 min or so, Im not happy.....

We are experienced cruisers and do like to eat early and not go thru too many courses. On our last cruise we'd been confirmed for a 5:30 Traditional and a table for 2. We got a large table at 5:45. We cancelled that and asked for Anytime. Never happened and we ate at the buffet every night of the cruise. Didn't hurt us any but different ships seem to have different ways of doing things. (The line to get into Anytime at 5:30 was really, really long by 5! Since we weren't "allowed" to use it didn't matter.)

Cruisin Oldies

If you prefer traditional dining, and there are still openings, take that. When onboard, try to get a table for two. If you cannot, you can always change to anytime dining. If you are an experienced cruiser, I am sure you know that traditional to anytime can always be obtained, but the reverse, almost never.

I just looked at our Golden Princess cruise and I noticed something changed on the dining portion. I have anytime dining because when I locked in the reservation months ago that was the only seating that allowed my wife and I to get a table for 2 (hopefully). Now I noticed Regular Seating Table for 2 openings at 5:30 for our South American cruise in December. There were other Table for 2 times but had waitlists as well (it actually tells you how many couples were waitlisted for other seating times....neat feature).

Also, which ship you are on may also determine your likelihood of getting your table for two.

We also ask for a table for two and have always been able to get one without too much of wait except for one time where the wait was about 40 minutes. That was with Anytime. (several ships)

We chose Traditional dining for our 28 day cruise and did receive a table for 2, but as someone one mentioned above, the other tables were only few inches apart from each other (just enough to get to your seat). (Sapphire)

However, the last cruise we asked for a table for 2 in traditional dining, but when we got there the first night we had been assigned to a table for 10! The table itself was an oblong shape so those at the end were VERY close together. (Grand--noticed that there were not very many tables for two anywhere in the main dining room, just a handful and since we were on a waiting list I think those all went fast). My travel companion is very anti-social, so we decided to just eat at the buffet for the rest of the cruise (we informed the head waiter so they didn't wait for us).

The reason that we go with anytime is so that we can have a table for 2. If a table for 2 is available in Early Dining, I always go for that; but that option rarely appears. We prefer tables by ourselves because we only eat the main course. We skip the appetizers and salads. We also often skip dessert.

We like to get in and out of the dining room in about an hour so that we can enjoy our evening on the ship. I do prefer the dining room options over the buffet, so don't tell me to go there. When we are seated with other passengers, they eat several courses, which makes us wait until they are served the main course. I really don't cruise to spend 2 - 3 hours in the dining room each night.

I also have had some not so pleasant experiences with table mates a few times. (Once the people that were assigned to our table kept arguing and criticizing the table next to us because their baby was crying - as if they could help it - until it escalated into a shouting match between both tables, while we sat there and tried to eat!) I also have a hard time hearing over all of the background noise and find it difficult to try and make conversation. I really don't feel any more entitled than anyone else. If I could get a table for 2 in assigned dining, I would be happy to do so.

Edited by love2relax