Royal Princess and FLL Question

austinnow

Hey All!

I'm 90% sure I want to sail with the Royal Princess this upcoming January, but I have a few concerns. For all your Princess fanatics, please chime in! I've sailed on: Carnival, RCL, Celebrity, and Princess. I have to say, I love Celebrity the most, but want to give Princess another try.

My other question is for those experienced with FLL. I have a plane to catch at 1030am (next available flight is 6pm) and the ship is supposed to arrive at the dock at 7am. I know... it's about stress tolerance. My question is.. is it possible? The port is 10 minutes away and I plan to do a walk off. Has anyone done is before?

Thanks!

So, what are your concerns? It's hard to chime in unless you explain what's causing you to hesitate.

As far as the flight, I personally think it's crazy, but I'm sure there are people who've made a flight that early and will egg you on. We all know the ship could be delayed, definitely know that security lines at FLL can be excruciatingly long; the RP is on a Sunday-to-Sunday schedule, which means competing with the 5K on the Behemoth of the Seas . . . I'd have a back-up plan.

We had a similarly timed flight after the Ruby several years ago, and while it was on my mind occasionally while sailing, we had no problem.

We did self/ express walk off (or whatever it's called) and were among the first groups off the ship after 7 am, and had just a short cab wait, with no delay in customs related activity, so in our case, things ran like clockwork.

On our return from the Royal Princess yesterday morning, self walk off ran from 6 am till 6:20, with another 45 minutes for customs and cab, and we arrived at FFL by 7:20. While the early rising required was surprising, it would certainly be helpful for earlier flight times. (btw, ship "arrival" was also scheduled for 7am)

A suggestion is to check flights out of MIA. Yes, it's further away but it might offer more flights and even lower airfare. It's worth checking. In this case, the Princess transfer is reasonable as I think it's less than $20/pp.

That said, I personally wouldn't gamble on a 10:30am flight since I've seen and experienced long delays by Customs and Immigration before. Several times, disembarkation didn't start until almost 9:30am. Plus, there can be long lines to check in and go through Security at FLL. A lot depends on how many other ships are arriving in port the same day and the time of the year. The FLL area is crazy busy with tourists pretty much from Thanksgiving through March. The cruise season has barely begun so I wouldn't base a decision on a ship's arrival in early November.

Here's my experience. Take it for what it's worth, and I'm not saying what you should do - it's just a data point.

We had a 9:37 flight, because it saved a lot of money.

We were on the Royal, disembarking on Sunday 11/3. So it was busy day.

We were in walk off A. While we could have waited in the Elite/Platinum Lounge, we got in line in the walk off A room. At about 7:15 or so, they started disembarking. We had about a 15-20 minute line at customs, and at 7:42 we were calling the car service we'd arranged for a pick up (there was at least one cab waiting I noticed).

We were at the airport by 8:20, and in the lounge by 8:40. We have TSA pre-check, so had no waiting.

The regular line for United was also pretty short.

YMMV

Here's my experience. Take it for what it's worth, and I'm not saying what you should do - it's just a data point.

We had a 9:37 flight, because it saved a lot of money.

We were on the Royal, disembarking on Sunday 11/3. So it was busy day.

We were in walk off A. While we could have waited in the Elite/Platinum Lounge, we got in line in the walk off A room. At about 7:15 or so, they started disembarking. We had about a 15-20 minute line at customs, and at 7:42 we were calling the car service we'd arranged for a pick up (there was at least one cab waiting I noticed).

We were at the airport by 8:20, and in the lounge by 8:40. We have TSA pre-check, so had no waiting.

The regular line for United was also pretty short.

YMMV

That's amazing! Thanks for the feedback.

So, what are your concerns? It's hard to chime in unless you explain what's causing you to hesitate.

As far as the flight, I personally think it's crazy, but I'm sure there are people who've made a flight that early and will egg you on. We all know the ship could be delayed, definitely know that security lines at FLL can be excruciatingly long; the RP is on a Sunday-to-Sunday schedule, which means competing with the 5K on the Behemoth of the Seas . . . I'd have a back-up plan.

I've practically read through the 80+ reviews about the Royal Princess on CC and waiting to read about the Caribbean itinerary. As you probably have seen.. they aren't the greatest. Whereas Celebrity's "Reflection" was the combination of the best of each ship in its class... the Royal Princess seems to have cut a lot of things princess cruisers love (explorers lounge for example).

Regarding you question about a 10:30 am flight out of FLL If absolutely everything is on time..ship's arrival, immigration clearance, transportation, traffic and security clearance at the airport..it's a possibility you will make your flight. That said, when coming home from a cruise to FLL, I always book no earlier than 12:30, preferring after 1:00. My last Caribbean cruise was delayed 1 1/2 hours in arriving to port. Luckily I had a 2:00 flight out of FLL.

Have a nice breakfast at the Horizon Court, book a tour of FLL and take the later flight. Stress free!

We had a similarly timed flight after the Ruby several years ago, and while it was on my mind occasionally while sailing, we had no problem.

We did self/ express walk off (or whatever it's called) and were among the first groups off the ship after 7 am, and had just a short cab wait, with no delay in customs related activity, so in our case, things ran like clockwork.

On our return from the Royal Princess yesterday morning, self walk off ran from 6 am till 6:20, with another 45 minutes for customs and cab, and we arrived at FFL by 7:20. While the early rising required was surprising, it would certainly be helpful for earlier flight times. (btw, ship "arrival" was also scheduled for 7am)

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like this is definitely possible, which is good news for me :)

A suggestion is to check flights out of MIA. Yes, it's further away but it might offer more flights and even lower airfare. It's worth checking. In this case, the Princess transfer is reasonable as I think it's less than $20/pp.

That said, I personally wouldn't gamble on a 10:30am flight since I've seen and experienced long delays by Customs and Immigration before. Several times, disembarkation didn't start until almost 9:30am. Plus, there can be long lines to check in and go through Security at FLL. A lot depends on how many other ships are arriving in port the same day and the time of the year. The FLL area is crazy busy with tourists pretty much from Thanksgiving through March. The cruise season has barely begun so I wouldn't base a decision on a ship's arrival in early November.

Hey Pam, thanks for the suggestion. Leaving from MIA never crossed my mind.

Regarding you question about a 10:30 am flight out of FLL If absolutely everything is on time..ship's arrival, immigration clearance, transportation, traffic and security clearance at the airport..it's a possibility you will make your flight. That said, when coming home from a cruise to FLL, I always book no earlier than 12:30, preferring after 1:00. My last Caribbean cruise was delayed 1 1/2 hours in arriving to port. Luckily I had a 2:00 flight out of FLL.

Have a nice breakfast at the Horizon Court, book a tour of FLL and take the later flight. Stress free!

Thanks for the feedback! The 631pm flight means I'll get home around 10pm (and this is a transfer flight vs direct too) on a Sunday. You're right about the stress free part though! Decisions.. decisions.

I spoke to 5 agents now: two local agents, one priceline, and 2 princess agents. The conclusion was a split 3 (you can make it) and 2 (you will not). In case anyone is wondering, both princess reps said I'd make it.

We were on the 10-29 sailing on the Royal Princess and had a 10:35 AM flight out of FLL. Our luggage tags were Red 4. When our group was called we left the ship, got through customs, hailed a cab. We then made it to the terminal with plenty of spare time. I think we got there around 9 AM. You should be fine.

Hey All!

I'm 90% sure I want to sail with the Royal Princess this upcoming January, but I have a few concerns. For all your Princess fanatics, please chime in! I've sailed on: Carnival, RCL, Celebrity, and Princess. I have to say, I love Celebrity the most, but want to give Princess another try.

My other question is for those experienced with FLL. I have a plane to catch at 1030am (next available flight is 6pm) and the ship is supposed to arrive at the dock at 7am. I know... it's about stress tolerance. My question is.. is it possible? The port is 10 minutes away and I plan to do a walk off. Has anyone done is before?

Thanks!

I routinely do 9am and on flights, never a problem, but you have to be in the first groups off the ship, that is the key. And you always have to worry about any delays, but 10:30 should be plenty of time.

There is West Palm Beach International Airport 40 minutes north of FLL and Miami International Airport is 40 minutes south of FLL. Maybe a direct flight.

PBI - 40 minutes North? Dream on. says a local.

AustinNow: We were on the first crossing of the Royal into FLL; didn't do self disembarkation. Even with immigration checking each little spot and even with having to get our bags the regular way, we were off the ship and outside at 9:35. Just be sure to get yourself into the earliest group and then you'll be at the airport sooner than you wanted to be.

Edited by Pia1913

I've practically read through the 80+ reviews about the Royal Princess on CC and waiting to read about the Caribbean itinerary. As you probably have seen.. they aren't the greatest. Whereas Celebrity's "Reflection" was the combination of the best of each ship in its class... the Royal Princess seems to have cut a lot of things princess cruisers love (explorers lounge for example).

The royal had lots of things we enjoyed - didn't post a review as didn't want to be flamed for not letting the lack of stairs and prom ruin our cruise :)

I loved that it was different to the same old same old of the other ships.

Whereas Celebrity's "Reflection" was the combination of the best of each ship in its class...

I've actually read comments regarding Celebrity Reflection, that although it may be a wonderful ship in the eyes of some, it is actually the least desirable of the five Solstice-class ships?

I'm not an expert at all when it comes to catching early flights out of FLL but I can share how our disembarkation went on Sunday. My impression was the Royal's went smoother than other ships we've been on. We had EZ Check with a scheduled 8:10 depart time from the ship. At exactly 8:10 are group was called and we walked off the ship straight through customs too the buses and on to the FLL airport. By 9:20 we were in the very busy security line.

As for sailing on the Royal Princess I can honestly say, after spending 12 wonderful days aboard this ship, I am deeply in love with her! We found the ship to be beautiful, the crew top notch and for us the best food & wine of any of our previous 7 Princess cruises.

I am in the process of putting together my thoughts of our Royal Princess experiences to share with the CC community. I believe knowing what to expect (or not expect) is the bases for a happy cruise. I feel I had a good handle on my expectations from the info others provided. In the end I realized we got around just fine and we didn't miss any feature (beyond nostalgia moments) or feel cheated for lack of...this or that.

We were lucky to have a b2b cruise on a truly beautiful ship with some of the best fellow passengers we've every encountered. Our CC Roll Call groups made our time on the Royal Princess special too.

FYI - when you sail on the Royal Princess, I heard if you touch the Princess LIVE Sea Witch's nose she'll... put a spell on you ;)

Ok 10:30 is makeable, but do you really need that stress, 2 yrs ago we we're walk offs and in no hurry so spent morning in the internet room, watching people panic because even though we were in port at 6:30am nobody got off until 9:30 because the port put the ship at dock that was meant for a differnt sized princess ship and they could not get the walkways to match up until then.

As for cruise lines, some people are missing things they enjoyed on other Princess ships, but if you haven't been on Princess you will not know that, so enjoy yourself on those things that are offered on whatever ship you chose.

Ok 10:30 is makeable, but do you really need that stress, 2 yrs ago we we're walk offs and in no hurry so spent morning in the internet room, watching people panic because even though we were in port at 6:30am nobody got off until 9:30 because the port put the ship at dock that was meant for a differnt sized princess ship and they could not get the walkways to match up until then.

As for cruise lines, some people are missing things they enjoyed on other Princess ships, but if you haven't been on Princess you will not know that, so enjoy yourself on those things that are offered on whatever ship you chose.

We are going Dec 15 th and we are flying out of Miami on a 7:00 p.m. flight to Las Vegas. It is cost effective for us on the flight,so we take a cab to Ft Lauderdale airport and rent a car for the day and go into So. Beach for lunch and spend the afternoon shopping or just enjoying the day. Since we are on vacation we try to relax during are travels and enjoy every moment. We return ther car at Miami around 5:00 . If you have the time you should enjoy every moment and not worry about getting off the ship to check a plane. I always wait til 30 days before to get a great rate on the car on it happened again the other night [ $61.00 ] . It is a great price if you price tranfers out you will see that it is workable! Have a great trip on whatever you decide on doing ! Bob

Edited by fielddreamer

PBI - 40 minutes North? Dream on. says a local.

AustinNow: We were on the first crossing of the Royal into FLL; didn't do self disembarkation. Even with immigration checking each little spot and even with having to get our bags the regular way, we were off the ship and outside at 9:35. Just be sure to get yourself into the earliest group and then you'll be at the airport sooner than you wanted to be.

Oops! FLL to Gateway Blvd.,Boynton Beach ( my exit) is 40 minutes then another 15/20 minutes north to PBI. Guess I was day dreaming!

Thanks for the information guys!

I've booked a Jetblue flight that leaves at 1030am. Their policy is that if you're going to miss your flight, call ahead and you only have to pay $50 to change for another flight. With that said, I have options, but crossing my fingers everything goes smooth the day of.