Just Curious – what is a TA Cruise?

pasodancer

Having read that the Liberty just had a TA Cruise – am curious if the entire ship is full of TAs or just a portion of the ship (I “assume” TA’s are wined & dined so that they can steer their customers towards RC?) I’ve been at resorts where they have TA days but a TA cruise is a new concept for me to ponder while I’m at the dentist and my mind seeks a happy place. :)

Having read that the Liberty just had a TA Cruise – am curious if the entire ship is full of TAs or just a portion of the ship (I “assume” TA’s are wined & dined so that they can steer their customers towards RC?) I’ve been at resorts where they have TA days but a TA cruise is a new concept for me to ponder while I’m at the dentist and my mind seeks a happy place. :)

TA also stands for transatlantic. Liberty just finished a transatlantic cruise.

I have not done one but I think they are talking about a transatlantic cruise. Going from the States to Europe or Europe to the States. Its is a longer cruise with more sea days. If I am wrong I am sure someone will let us know.

Edited by macrc

While RCI does sponsor travel agent events to promote their product - for instance Vision was just in Miami for a day with travel agents invited on board to see the refurbished ship, and Grandeur with it's return to Baltimore after the fire did a one day cruise primarily with travel agents and other invited guests - as reallyitsmema pointed out, "TA" typically means "transatlantic" cruise. This is a repositioning cruise with ships that typically split time between the US and Europe.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I was actually on a cruise where a large group of about 50 or more travel agents from the same company were on the cruise with us. They were wearing company shirts and seemed to have team-building meetings all over the ship and hit the clubs at night.

Nothing like a few dozen drunk, 50-65 year old white ladies with giant hair, too much makeup, too much perfume, and no rhythm busting out the disco moves. To be completely honest, I thought they were realtors for the first few days. It's the same basic demographic. Then I saw their logo a little more closely.

Obviously, you now know the cruise you are talking about was a Trans-Atlantic, but travel agents do cruise for the very reason you are talking about.

I doubt there are travel agent ONLY cruises, but sometimes large companies do send larger groups of travel agents on cruises. Small companies would probably never be noticed.

Edited by poncho1973

Hello there, this TA cruise was indeed a transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale- this was our first TA and we had an amazing cruise..... We will certainly do more of this type of cruise.

Sean:D

Hello there, this TA cruise was indeed a transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale- this was our first TA and we had an amazing cruise..... We will certainly do more of this type of cruise.

Sean:D

someday - someday - even if only while suffering in the dentists' chair, I'll be doing a Transatlantic crossing!

We've done several trans-Atlantic cruises (TA). Here is something I have found out more often than not.

I book them as soon as the itinerary comes out. Book a cabin, any cabin in the category I want even if it isn't the location I prefer but I usually have a good choice. that early. You can change cabin locations easily within the category you book as better ones come available.

Then I watch the prices. They go up and down like a yo-yo. Down, I'm on the phone to catch the reduction and any senior/residence discounts that may show up. Up, I'm glad I have my price locked in. My last TA started out at $1,066 for an E2 balcony cabin. Dropped down to $900something with old folks discount. Then for a couple of days it really dropped--down to $600

something. Take off the Diamond+ balcony discount and I was in for $420 or so. I had to "upgrade" from my E2 to a D2 to get that price. Would have rather had the E2 as it was on the hump but for that kind of savings, I was "flexible." Along the way, I saw the price of my cabin go up as high as $1,800 or more. Then, as it got closer to embarkation, dropped down to $1,300 or so. Really close to embarkation it was $999 for an E2 guarantee but still $1,300 for an assigned cabin. Only crummy cabin locations left, though.

Once or twice, I have rebooked the same cruise when on a cruise if the price is the same as when I originally booked. Only $100 deposit plus you get OBC. Then when I get home, I cancel out the first booking, get my $900 deposit back. Here is a warning, though. If you buy third party insurance within two weeks of booking to get pre-existing, you could possibly lose the premium if the carrier won't let you transfer it to the new booking on board booking number. If you aren't after the pre-existing you can wait as late as final payment to buy the insurance or a time later when you have a "clean" look back period--no medical issues for 60-6 months prior to buying it depending on the carrier. There is one carrier that will give you pre-existing as long as you buy it 24 or more hours out from final payment. However, it is about double what you would pay otherwise.

Tucker in Texas